003

Draft

 

 

"Hari, can I talk to you?"

 

Hari was one step away until she was out of the door when she heard Mr. Jang calling out her name. The lunch bell had just rang and students were rushing out of the door, running to the lunch line in hope of being the first ones. Hari moved out of the way when people started bumping into her and giving her dirty glares for blocking the exit.

 

Hesitantly, Hari turned around and nervously bit the bottom of her lips. She knew he must have seen her lack of progress in the class and graded her last test which she sure she bombed. Hari was never a fan of math class but that didn't mean she never tries. She's been trying to keep her grades up the whole semester but recently, she just gave up on everything. Her lack of motivation was really bringing herself down.

 

By now, everybody had already left the classroom. It wasn't until did she glanced around did Hari noticed there was still a single soul sitting in the corner of the classroom and her eyes rounded in surprise when she realized it was Taehyung. He had already been staring at her and from the looks of it, it doesn't seem like he was planning on leaving any time soon.

 

Hari quickly averted her gaze to Mr. Jang. He nodded to the chair in front of his desk and told her to sit down.

 

What the heck is he still doing here? Hari couldn't help but wonder. It wasn't until when Mr. Jang cleared his throat did her attention went back to him.

 

"You failed your last test with a 37%," Mr. Jang said in a calm, yet stern voice. Hari mentally winced at the revelation. Her cheeks warmed up in embarrassment when she realized Taehyung was still in the classroom and could hear every bit of their conversation. It was embarrassing enough being lectured for failing a test most people must have surely passed since it was mostly reviews and now Taehyung just has to be in the room. He must think she was dumb or something because he have also heard her being lectured in their Enviro class not too long ago for turning in late assignments for the past week.

 

"On top of that, you haven't been turning in your homework assignments regularly like you used to. And every time I look your way, you are constantly staring out of the window or doodling in your notebook. You don't know how to answer the questions when you are called up and you even failed a test we spent a whole week reviewing. Just what's gotten into you Min Hari?" Mr. Jang exasperated.

 

All Hari could do was hang her head low in shame and averted her gaze to her hands that were sitting on her lap. She didn't know what to say and even if she did, it would not be good enough of a reason for her behavior. This was entirely her fault and knowing there was no excuse to get out of this situation, all Hari could do was let out a quiet "Sorry" as she twirled her fingers and press her nails against it. She knew Mr. Jang was disappointed in her and there was nothing else she hated the most in this world more than disappointing someone.

 

"I'll get my act together. Sorry I haven't been feeling like myself lately," Hari quietly admitted, speaking as low as she could so Taehyung wouldn't hear what she was saying. "I'll try better to end this semester with at least one perfect score on the next test."

 

There was a long silence before Mr. Jang let out a sigh. He anxiously rubbed his temples and Hari continued the bad habit of biting onto her lips until she feel like it would bleed.

 

"That's not what I mean Hari," Mr Jang let out a heavy breath. And no, honestly Hari didn't know what he mean. She didn't know where this conversation was going and honestly she just wants to leave. Mr. Jang paused for a second but continuing what he was going to say. "I'm not telling you to get a perfect score on the next test. I'm not telling you to end the semester with an A. All I want you to do is focus in class and leave all the problems you have at home. I just want you to succeed and whatever's been bothering you, you should leave that before you step inside of this classroom. I want you to come in here with only math in your mind and nothing else. Got that?"

 

The only thing that Hari felt was bitter and annoyed once Mr. Jang finished what he wanted to say. She sincerely hoped that Mr. Jang would be the most understanding one out of all her teachers since he's always giving her advice. Now, all he sounds like a selfish man who only cared about her listening to his lessons in class. Whatever her problems were, he doesn't care.

 

"I understand," Hari muttered. Without giving Mr. Jang the chance to speak up another word, Hari grabbed her stuff and stormed out of the classroom before he could call her back.

 

Mr. Jang let out a scoff before leaning back in his chair. "That girl...I was just giving her advice and look at the attitude she just gave me. Kids these days don't know how to respect elders. Right Taehyung?" Mr. Jang looked up and gave Taehyung a smile. 

 

Taehyung, who has been in listening to the conversation the whole time, gave Mr. Jang a cocky smirk in response.

 

"Leave all her problems at home? Why don't you leave your attitude at home as well?" Taehyung shot back before grabbing all his stuff and leaving the classroom as well, leaving a dumbfounded Mr. Jang behind.

 

- - -

 

Hari walked to the cafeteria after receiving a whole bunch of text messages from Anna and Eunmi asking where she was. She swiftly replied with a "Got stuck being lectured by Jang. Coming right now" before making her way over to the usual table. Once she spotted Anna and Eunmi, Hari plopped down on an empty chair across from the both of them. She pulled a sandwich out of her backpack and began munching on it.

 

"I see you added ham in it this time," Eunmi giggled. Hari let out a chuckle when she knew Eunmi was referring to last week when she was all sad and depressed and only had lettuce in her sandwich.  A week have passed since then and honestly, she felt better. Minus the fact that she just got out of a lecture and Taehyung happened to hear everything.

 

Hari quietly ate her sandwich as she listened to her two friends gossipping about the latest rumors. Suddenly, a nudge came at her arm and Hari looked up to see Eunmi pointing somewhere behind her. Thinking it was just probably another cute guy she managed to spot, Hari didn't give it much thought before spinning around, the sandwich still in .

 

Hari almost choked on her sandwich when she turned around because standing right in front of her was no other than Kim Taehyung, the boy who she have longed to speak to for the past 3 years and the boy who she have been dreaming about the whole time.

 

"You dropped this," Taehyung says, extending his hand and revealing a yellow notebook. Hari stared at it for a whole second before realizing it was her math notebook.

 

"Oh...thanks," Hari gave him a weak smile before reaching for it.

 

Taehyung simply stared at her before turning around and walking back to his tables.

 

 

And just like that, he was gone.

 

 

- - -

 

That night, Hari opened up her phone to type another message.

 

 

Hey Taehyung. Today was probably one of those rare days you would approach me voluntarily. Thank you for giving me by notebook back even though you could have just left it there and I could pick it up the next day. Even though it probably means nothing to you, it means a lot to me so I'm really happy. Other than that, I really wish we weren't strangers even though I know it's not possible. You've got your friends and I've got mine. Everyone loves you and you love everyone back. It's always been that way huh? You treat everyone the same and I guess I'm just one of those people as well. Despite that, deep down in my heart, I really wish I was different from everyone else. I wish you looked at me differently from everyone else during the time we spent together.

 

- - -

 

I know I haven't updated in so long but I'm finally back!! Sorry for the wait <3