part 1

Always, Since the Start

Yuna taps her finger on the table, her mind not focusing on the daily speech that her homeroom teacher has to make every homeroom session.

Her mind only catches the last three words. "Because you're graduating," the teacher says.

The phrase catches her attention like no other. Sometimes to Yuna, it holds so much burden despite its short length.

She has barely any time left.

Because I'm graduating, she tells herself in her head.

 

~ • ~

 

"Choi Yuna," Yuna goes up onto the stage as her name is read, with a thumping heart that with everyone beat reminds her that she is (finally) graduating. With every step she takes she remembers that she has much to put behind as she graduates from high school, to become an adult. Her heart will feel empty, and she doesn't know how to face it as of yet. She is worried; right then is the last few hours that she is still a student.

"Lee Seokmin," she hears next, and her classmate of the said name walks promptly right after her. She is reminded of him. Her eyes widen. It is graduation.

It is the last she'll have of him.

 

~ • ~

 

It is the last she'll have of him.

Unless she does something about it, that is. But Yuna doesn't know. She has spent the remaining months thinking about today, and about what she should do, but she doesn't know what do to. She just can't do anything.

The day is almost done, and all that's left is for the classmates to say goodbye for each other before the school closes. Anxiously, Yuna approaches Seokmin.

"Lee Seokmin ssi," she slowly calls, "Can I speak to you for a moment?" the request seems to have needed all the courage she has had in all of her body. Yuna furrowed her eyebrows. How is she going to speak to him, this way?

Seokmin, despite the confusion, smiles and agrees. Yuna doesn't say anything but walk off and out of the classroom to a corner in the corridor. Seokmin quietly follows behind her without question, that brings Yuna slight excitement yet it makes her even more anxious.

As they reach an isolated area where they could have for themselves, Yuna stops her footsteps and turn to face her.

Yuna swallows before she begins. "You've been really nice the past year and although we haven't talked much I think you're a really kind and cheerful person and we've never been friends, that's a pity," Yuna nervously speaks and laughs. Seokmin laughs as well, but somewhat forced.

"I really-" Yuna stops herself. But since I'm already halfway through, she thinks, must well.

Yuna swallows and looks down. Without looking up, she says, "Actually, I like you," she honestly reveals. She gulps, her eyes glued to the ground. She feels like she can break down and cry anytime. 

"Actually," she hears him start, "I've been wanting to tell you that this whole month," her ears perk up to his words. Yuna slowly raises her head with her eyes wide open. However, the sorrow on his face puzzles her.

"But it seems to be different," his statement confuses her even more. "The way you like me, and the way I like you, it's different right?"

What? A question appears in Yuna's head as she feels her heart break into pieces like glass dropped to the ground.

She's never thought that he would ever love her back, but still, it hurts.

"You only like me as a friend, because we've never been there," they both mutter at the same time, whilst walking in opposite directions, without each other's knowledge.