Scene 2: Welcome to Darkness, Despair and Sports (Part 1)

What I Wished
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

    The obnoxious noise of too many people rang through the courtyard of the school as school hours ended. The sound my phone was making as it rang wasn’t helping, either. There was practically a black cloud of death surrounding me and everyone stood at least five feet from me in the tightly-packed crowd trying to escape learning. I scowled at my phone before picking it up and answering. I needed to change my ringtone; Born to be Wild by Triple T on loop got boring after a few months. And I used my phone a whole lot.

 

“What,” I growled, and I heard someone gulp on the other end. Yeah, I was acting a little rude, but I was done with all of the events that had happened that day.

 

“I-I’m s-s-sorry to bother you-” It was Kihyun. I stepped away from the larger part of the crowd and stepped by a tree on the school grounds. I hated walking while talking on the phone.

 

“-but Hyungwon woke up. Shownu also sent a group text we all know you didn’t read,” he stated, getting a little braver. I sighed exasperated.

 

“Yeah, yeah, I know. I will visit Hyungwon as soon as practice is done. What did Shownu say?” Kihyun sighed too and then answered.

 

“Just to remind you he was coming back in three days and that none of us better be in the hospital, so we need you to come and get Hyungwon out ASAP. He also said all blame would go to you,” he said, and I smacked my head against my palm. Of course it would be over my head.

 

“He also said that all of the clan needed perfect attendance. No excuses, he wanted to give the coach no reason to pull us on the team out of the game season.” I smacked my forehead again. Great. I could already count Hyungwon out of that.

 

“No one told him about Hyungwon, right?”

 

“Not yet, but Wonho was threatening to because he got in an argument with Changkyun, he used it as leverage-”

 

“Will Wonho be allowed to participate in the first few games due to that concussion he received recently?”

 

“Well, no,” Kihyun admitted, and I smiled evilly sending a few kids next to me directly from their own social circles to the exit in a streamlined fashion.

 

“Then a few more injuries shouldn’t affect his attendance, or hospital visitations, should it?” I said darkly and I could almost hear Kihyun shiver.

 

“I will remind him.”

 

“Please do,” I said, my smile dropping and I became serious again. I might be bipolar, but Shownu would seriously have my neck if he found out about Hyungwon or Wonho’s soon to be injuries.

 

“Anything else?” I asked, and Kihyun mumbled a “no,” but then said something before I hung up.

 

“W-wait, Hyungwon wants to say something.” I rolled my eyes. He better have a good excuse for passing out, I thought, and listened as the phone changed hands and Hyungwon got on the other line.

 

“Seung Myeong?” I heard a very quiet, timid voice ask. He sounded really tired. My heart completely melted at his voice and I completely banished all thoughts of strangling him for nearly dying. I smiled sweetly. I had a soft spot for Hyungwon, even if he did dumb things that really bothered me. He really was just a big sweetheart.

 

“I…” He started, and there was a short pause.

 

“I’m sorry.” That was all I needed to hear.

 

“It’s alright, Hyungwonnie,” I said, lacing my words with sugar and spice and everything nice. I heard a small sigh of relief before Hyungwon went on.

 

“I really am sorry. I know you want an explanation for why I passed out, it really isn’t what you think,” he near whispered.

 

“It’s okay, Hyungwon, you can tell me.”

 

“I just simply didn’t feel hungry at all, I don’t know why. I don’t want to be skinnier, I swear, I just-” he started sounding anxious so I cut him off.

 

“-It is okay. I completely understand.” I knew he knew I understood. I myself would lose any appetite just hearing or watching other people eat. I couldn’t eat around other people, and it really . I know Hyungwon had a different problem so we couldn’t relate fully, but I understood where he was coming from. He didn’t mean to pass out, or lose weight. I usually didn’t either.

 

“I will visit you after practice, okay? Do you want me to inform your club that you won’t be there?” there was a bit of shuffling before he answered.

 

“Th-that would be nice.” I nodded. Hyungwon was in the poem/rap writing club. Well, many of Changkyun’s friends were too. The ones who didn’t played on the same team I did.

 

“Alright. Call me if something happens, m-kay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

I paused for a bit.

 

"Eat more."

 

"Yes, noona!" he cheered.

 

"Yeesh, you make me feel old," I said and laughed, Hyungwon laughing with me quietly.

 

"Alright. See you in two hours."

 

"Goodbye." I hung up and stared at the ground. By now only a few students remained, the courtyard eerily quieter than what it had been before. I rested my back against the tree I had been standing next to and blew out some air.

 

I really wished he didn't call me noona. I didn't know why, but it bothered me.

 

Do... I like him?

 

I knew I treated him differently than everyone else but I wasn't sure. I knew that it bothered me when he treated me like his older sister.

 

Whatever, I thought, and rolled my eyes. I don't have the time to like people. I don't have the time to think about liking people, I have to tell Hyungwon's club he is gone and go to practice.

 

I got off of the tree and began walking back into the building. I had wanted to join Hyungwon's club, but I couldn't because I was too busy. I still visited when I could. It was in room D118, just a few lockers from the gym. This was on purpose so members in the club could also participate in sports easier.

 

When I walked in, Changkyun was already performing a rap piece he wrote for the rest of the club. I could see Jooheon look at Changkyun with amazement. Changkyun was his sunbae in writing rap, but Jooheon went so far as to call him Hyung and treat him like a god. It was actually really funny and I had to stop from laughing because Changkyun’s voice sounded like he was pinching his nose, probably because it had been broken.

 

Changkyun was doing really good until he stopped and looked at me.

 

"Why are you here."

 

"Hyungwon's still in the hospital, he won't be coming." He nodded and then presumed. Well, then, I thought, and walked back out and out of the school to where the football field was. I could see Wonho was already there, Shownu was gone so he wouldn't be coming, Jooheon switched between club and practice (the coach let him because of his aegyo) and it was a club day. Changkyun was on the team too but was a key component in rap competitions which were the following week so he couldn’t be at practice. Minhyuk was there too.

 

“Wonho!” I called as I neared the group. He jumped when he heard my voice; it was clear that Minhyuk had relayed the message I had given him earlier. I smiled innocently and walked up to him.

 

“I see you were informed of your situation should Shownu know of Hyungwon’s condition?” He gulped and nodded furiously.

 

“ALRIGHT,” I yelled, startling Wonho and a few of the other nameless boys on the team. Just kidding, they’re not nameless, they will show up later. Shownu was captain, I was sub captain, so that meant I had to fulfil his duties while he was

Please log in to read the full chapter