Scene 3: Food

What I Wished
Please log in to read the full chapter

My keys were gone.

I patted myself down, hoping to hear the familiar jingle of my house keys in vain. I retraced my steps, looked into the lawn grass where I hadn't even stepped, searched every compartment in my motorcycle, then did it all over again. But it was no use.

They were gone.

I admit, I panicked. I grabbed my phone, looking to see if anyone had texted me about finding my keys but there was no inclination anyone had. I searched under the doormat, hoping my parents or siblings had left one their, but they were on vacation to France and wouldn't be back till the next day and hadn't left anything. I contemplated picking the lock, but I had nothing to pick it with because I never used bobby pins or any kind of hair excessory other than hair bands. Sighing, I looked up at the dusty brick arch that held one small lightbulb to illuminate the door at night. It was off, and I knew it would be even more difficult to try opening the door later if I couldn't do it now. 

I refused to ask Changkyun for help. I was too pridefull, too indipendent for that. I exasperatedly looked out at the street, then angrily punched the door archway. My hand hurt but I couldn't have cared less. Sitting down I put my head in my hands, then after a thought, took out my phone. I only had so much time before I was locked out for the night. My pride would be saved if I only discreetly told Changkyun I was locked outside my house, right? Then I wouldn't have to be humiliated and ask him for help, as he would probably help if he knew. I opened the messages box on my Samsung and tapped Changkyun's name. Hesitatingly, I slowly typed in a few words.

Hey, how do you hit brick without hurting your hand? I texted, then sent as I deemed it cautious enough. It was only a few seconds until he answered.

What did you do this time. I sighed. He knew I had done something humiliating now, but I had to follow through with my plan.

I want to punch the archway over my door but I can't. I sent it and felt my face get red with embarassment.

You lost your keys, didn't you. He knew. It was official; I had no pride. I nodded but then realized that he couldn't see me and hurridly texted him back.

Maybe... I could almost hear him sigh loudly from his house a street down from mine and chose to ignore what he could be possibly thinking.

Wait a few minutes and I'll come by to help, he sent, and I let my head fall back as I wondered why he knew. Then again, he always knew. It was a fact I had come to accept, that he possibly knew everything about me and everything I was thinking and doing. 

It wasn't long before I saw Changkyun as a black figure in the dimming light of the sun. I wanted to run and hide because of the shame I felt but I couldn't move my legs because I knew, somehow, that if Changkyun wouldn't help me, no one would.

I could see him smiling as he walked up the driveway to my house. When he saw me, he shook his head and walked over. I hid my head in between my knees and groaned. He patted my head before walking up to the door, finding it locked as I had said. I could hear him shuffling around behind me, trying to find a way in, until finally, I heard the sound of a small clattering inside the lock. Changkyun was picking the lock. I lifted my head and watched as Changkyun teased the inside of the keyhole until a very satisfying click gave way and the door opened. I near

Please log in to read the full chapter