A Budding Friendship

ARTistic

 

“My name is Min Chanhi and I’m 19 years old.”

“Very good. Please lower your chin some more.”  Mrs Yoon, the Arts teacher instructed. I lowered my cheek like she said.

“Yes, perfect!  No what are the three adjective that best describe how you feel right now.”

I blinked away the tears and looked into the lens.

“Strong.” Of everything that was happening all around me, I still found the strength in God and in myself to look at life in a positive light. We no longer had a farm, our saving funds were running low and Suji was in stable condition in the hospital. Thank God I got to her room when I did or she could have not made it. Dad was distraught, mom was distraught and so was I but someone had to be strong for the family, right?

“Religious.” I’d describe myself as religious I’d always try to remember God and acknowledge his presence. He had done immeasurable things for me and I didn’t think I could ever thank him for all the things He’d done for me.

“Ok one last night adjective.” She smiled and boy did she have a beautiful teeth and very, very nice teeth.

I nodded. “Afraid. I’m afraid of what will happen next.”

“And why are you afraid Min Chanhi?” Mrs. Yoon always called us by both of our names.

“I-I’m not sure. I think my fear stems from what has happened to me and how I’ve dealt with certain situation and when I overcome them I ask myself, what if. You know, what if I did it that way, what if I had said something, what if-

I stopped when I realized I was off ranting again.

She stooped recording and share a concerned look with me. “Thank you so much for your time, Min Chanhi. You’re free to go.”

I gathered my things and stumbled out of the room. Walking down the hall felt like running a marathon sand every sounded like a nuisance, which didn’t do my headache any justice.

“Chanhi!” I continued the struggle to walk. “Chanhi! Chanhi!”

“Hey!.” A pair of Timberland sneakers came into view. I raised my head to see my crush. Normally I would brush the hair out of my face and grin like a crazy, I didn’t do that then.

“Hello.”

“Hi.” Awkward lasting about 5 seconds before he made the grand decision to speak gain. “I see that you’re in my singing class.”

“Uh huh.”

“I’m sorry about what happened to your sister.”

“Are you really?”

“I-I- don’t what it feels like to like to lose someone close to you but I know that it’s not a great feeling.”

I adjusted my bag strap. “I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have asked you that.”

“Chanhi.” He brushed away the hair from my face and I thought I almost suffered a cardiac arrest. He actually touched my hair. No one touched my hair but he did. “Are you trying to impress me? Well bravo you just earned yourself 10 points Yang Yoseob.

“Yes?”

“What do you want to do now? Whatever it is, I’ll make it possible.”

I leaned my head to left. “What are you trying to do?”

“Be your friend?”

“Actually, I want to eat a double-spooned chocolate chip ice-cream with sprinkles.” I said. Maybe he would think that I was childish.

“Great! I know an ice-cream shop around the block. I’ll take you.”

“Wait, what?” He relieves me of my bag pack and books. “Why should I trust you?”

“I won’t hurt you. I promise.”

***

“ha-ha!” I laughed my heart out at his corny jokes. “Tell another one.”

“Ok!” He pursed his lips and started at his Vanilla flavoured ice-cream. “Why did the chicken cross the road?”

I thought for a minute. Why would the chicken cross the road?  I bit a large portion of my ice-cream and suffered a mild brain-freeze until I gave up.

“Give up?” Yoseob pressed with a huge grin on his face.

“Meh, I guess.” I never liked being defeated.

“Because it wanted to get to the other side!” He squealed and laughed out loud. And that what was I called L-O-L. I liked his company, he knew how to have a good time and we were just eating ice-cream, my favourite dairy product. I looked at him in awe as he guffawed over his melting ice-cream.

“You-You get I right?” He asked when he started to relax form all the laughing.

“Yeah, I do.” I checked the clock above the cashier. It was 5:00pm. “It’s late I have to go now. Thanks for the ice-cream I’ll pay you back soon.”

“No no” he said. “It was my treat you. Do you have leave now?”

“Gee, thanks. Yes I have to go.” I got to my feet and he did.  No don’t tell me you like my and force a kiss on me. He extended his arm for a handshake.

“It was great spending time with you Min Chanhi. You’re fascinating and I hope we can be friends.”

I shook his hand. “Friends and I had a good time with you as well.” I turned to leave.

“I-I can take you home, i-if you want.” He was too cute and such a gentleman.

 

 

 

ai yai yai!!! lo siento mucho para tarde update!!! sorry for the late update!!!