Snow

Until You're Mine Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Winter was always Minseok’s favourite time of the year. He embraced the cold, because it was an excuse to wear his favourite sweaters and curl up with more than one or two cups of coffee a day. He loved it even more when the weather would reach freezing temperatures and he’d get to wear the scarf that Luhan bought for him for Christmas one year - it was a deep red knit that covered most of Minseok’s face when he wore it and he adored it. Even more so, when blizzards were too much, Minseok would enjoy curling up under the blankets of his bed, reading a good book.

 

It was always his favourite time of year and he could list possibly a thousand or more reasons as to why he loved the coldest season of all, but there was none more important to him that the first snow.

 

The first snow meant a lot of different things to a lot of different people. First snow meant the fresh crunch of the white under boots. First snow meant children screaming and playing as the flakes dusted their hair. First snow meant the holidays were fast approaching and the excited buzz of anticipation instantly filled the air.

 

To Minseok, the first snow was the most romantic thing in the world. He always held onto that belief that if he were to experience the first snow with someone he liked, then true love would blossom between them. Minseok was a romantic that way - always dreaming of spending that first snowfall with someone he liked or loved, even. He believed in forever and he believed in fate and he believed in the first snow.

 

Somewhere along the way, Minseok had never been able to snag the right moment to spend the first snow with anyone he liked. Someone he liked more than as a simple friend. Last year he had actually spent the first snow huddled over a desk in the library, reading a book for his research. The year before he had been sick and spent the entire day locked up in the dorm room, watching the snowflakes fall from the window.

 

This year, Minseok was determined. He would spend the first snow with someone he had grown to like over the years...

 

Luhan.

 

Ever since the two had met in their first year, Minseok had always had a bit of a crush. Luhan was so doting and kind, but he had been seeing someone then - a pretty girl named Qian. They broke up shortly after the new year and Luhan had told Minseok all about it, had spent the new year crying on Minseok’s shoulder for comfort. They had spent the entire next semester together too, had become inseparable.

 

Years had passed since and Minseok was sure he was crushing hard on Luhan. It didn’t help that they had developed a routine in which they cuddled together every night, shared intimate kisses and even slept together a few drunken nights in their second and third years. Minseok adored Luhan as a person, crushed on him like a little school girl, and appreciated his presence as a best friend. And he felt himself asking: what more could I wish for?

 

And maybe Minseok should have seen their relationship sooner as one of a romantic quality, but Minseok was decidedly fairly slow at picking up on Luhan’s advances to actually pursue a relationship. Somewhere between their awkward first encounter as roommates and their growing friendship, they both settled with lingering touches, sweet kisses and flirtatious gazes even if neither had actually voiced what they wanted.

 

What did they want?

 

Minseok wasn’t sure. They had never defined their own relationship before and they were so far gone into the intimacy that he was afraid to ask. Who else kissed their roommate the way he did and still introduced them as their close friend? They acted like a couple, but they appeared as the perfect pair of friends outside of their room, so what did that mean?

 

He thought too much about it and never talked about it instead, letting the questions remain unanswered for the sake of keeping what they had. If he said anything, there was a chance he could ruin the relationship, or whatever this was, and that was not what Minseok wanted. Were his potential feelings worth risking a beautiful friendship?

 

But this year, this year, Minseok would spend the first snow by Luhan’s side just outside of the dorm building and maybe, just maybe, they would figure out what their relationship to each other would be in the new year. If they were meant to be, then surely the first snow would reveal this to them. After all, it was the first snow that helped determine the love life.

 

“It’s the first day of winter,” Minseok said as he crossed off the date on his calendar with a thick red marker, “I can’t believe it’s already here.”

 

“Me neither,” Luhan agreed, peeking over at Minseok from behind his book, “Exams are almost over and Christmas is in a few days.”

 

Minseok smiled to himself, “It’ll begin to snow soon.”

 

“Yeah,” Luhan grinned, “I know how much you love snow.”

 

“I should go soon, I have an exam this evening.” Minseok sighed after he had taken a brief moment to chuckle at Luhan’s comment.

 

“I almost forgot,” Luhan said sitting up, “It’s your last one, isn’t it?”

 

Minseok nodded, “Yours is tomorrow, right?”

 

Luhan sighed and flopped back against the pillows piled upon his headboard, booking dropping against his face, “Yeah.” he mumbled from behind its pages.

 

Minseok snorted and tossed the pillow from his bed across the room, narrowly missing Luhan’s head, but instead knocking the book off of his face, “Cheer up, you’ll be free too soon.” he said unable to contain his laughter.

 

Luhan mock gasped at the very notion that Minseok had tried to hit him with his pillow and what kind of friend are you? Minseok stuck his tongue out at the younger and then gathered up his bag and his jacket before slipping into his shoes. It was already getting late and it would be dark pretty soon… The weatherman had called for snow this evening and Minseok promised himself he’d finish his exam on time to be back with Luhan as the first of the snow fell.

 

“Be careful out there,” Luhan called as Minseok opened the door.

 

“I will be,” Minseok replied, looking over his shoulder, “I’ll meet you back here as soon as it’s over… You’ll come meet me by the door, right?”

 

Luhan blinked in surprise at the odd request, “Of course.” he smiled after a moment, “Anything for you.”

 

Minseok smiled in return as he left the dorm, barely able to contain the blush that crept its way onto his cheeks. This time, this time for sure, Minseok promised himself, he would spend the first snow with his soulmate.

 

***

 

“It’s going to snow tonight,” Chanyeol said after he shook his head from his vision.

 

Baekhyun glanced over at his friend from behind the newspaper in his hands, “Yes, I saw that on the weather channel this morning. Thank you, Mr. Psychic.”

 

“Oh shut up,” Chanyeol muttered, rolling his eyes, “The weather network is not always correct.”

 

Baekhyun snorted and returned to reading the comic section of the newspaper, “Okay, and your point is?”

 

“Stop reading about Calvin and Hobbes for one second, would you? I swear,” Chanyeol mumbled as he threw his hands up in the air, “Sometimes I think you’re more interested in those comics than anything I have to say.”

 

“Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner,” Baekhyun announced before a crumpled ball of paper bounced off of the top of his head and he burst into laughter as he set down the newspaper.

 

“Why are you like that?” Chanyeol whined, cheek pressed against his desk, “I try to be helpful and you’re just so mean.” he fake sobbed and Baekhyun snorted even louder than before.

 

“Alright, alright, what is it then?”

 

Chanyeol looked up at Baekhyun from under his bangs, a pout on his lips even as the corners of his mouth twitched to turn into an obnoxiously wide grin, “It’s the first snow, Baekhyun.”

 

“Ah,” Baekhyun hummed, sitting back and crossing his legs, “I suppose that it is.”

 

Baekhyun had many memories of first snows. Some were fond others were sad, but almost always the first snow brought memories of his first love.

 

Chanyeol smiled slyly, “You know, Minseok-”

 

“Stop,” Baekhyun shook his head, throat becoming dry as he knew full well exactly where this conversation was heading. Minseok had always been a romantic for the first snow. “He’s with someone else-”

 

“I know,” Chanyeol sighed, “You said so after the party. And since then you’ve been moping around my mansion for the last few weeks pretending like everything's alright when it’s not.”

 

“Who said I was pretending?”

 

“Oh my God, you did not just say that, Byun Baekhyun. I can read your mind. Quit lying.” Chanyeol scoffed.

 

“Then stop bringing him into conversation. I just need to forget about him and I’ll be fine eventually.” Baekhyun said, but he knew he was lying through his teeth, the painful clench in his heart told him as much.

 

“I’m so sick of this act,” Chanyeol gestured towards Baekhyun with a dismissive wave of his hand, “This Byun Baekhyun that acts like he’s fine when he’s not. What the hell is that, anyway? All the forced laughter is even starting to irk Yixing and he doesn’t get irked by you. He loves you more than he loves me!”

 

“Do we need to have this lecture right now?” Baekhyun sighed in annoyance, “I was about to do the daily sudoku.”

 

“Okay, first off, you at sudoku, you’re better off doing the crossword.” Chanyeol said matter-of-factly with a slight smirk, “Secondly, stop trying to change the subject! You’re seriously worrying all of us. You’ve waited for so long for Minseok to come back, you’ve searched for years and now that he’s here, you’re running away again. What the , Baekhyun?”

 

Baekhyun shrugged, top row of teeth sinking into his bottom lip to keep himself from crying, “I’m scared, Chanyeol,” he admitted, “I’m ing terrified.”

 

“Of what?” Chanyeol urged.

 

“Shouldn’t you already know?” Baekhyun countered, brows furrowing as he tried to suppress the emotions threatening to spill, and Chanyeol frowned.

 

“Say it,” Chanyeol demanded.

 

Baekhyun’s stomach twisted into a tight knot and the tears began to well up in his eyes - this wasn’t fair, “Chanyeol-”

 

“Say it, Baekhyun!”

 

Baekhyun took a deep, shaky breath, “I can’t-”

 

Chanyeol slammed his hands down onto his desk, turning his palms red from the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter