Where it all started

Bringing back an angel's wings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*12 YEARS AGO*

"Jungkook, what's this invitation I found by your study desk?" Jin-hyung's voice resonated at the other end of the long table, his left hand holding the shiny filligree embossed paper that had 'YOU ARE CORDIALLY INVITED' written in a cursive font.

When I was little, I always found the dinner hall quite welcoming even when sometimes the only two people that would occupy the long rectangular table was me and Jin-hyung. But now the temperature seemed to drop and a gruesome atmosphere crackled in the air as I felt the inquisitive look he gave me. I've never seen him this intrigued before.

I looked up from my bowl of abalone chowder and gulped down in nervousness when I saw the intensity of his eyes."Oh that was the party that I was talking to you about. I thought about what you said this morning about me being quite uptight sometimes. Coincidentally, Namjoon-hyung and the others were invited to this big party. So there, I decided to tag along with them." I did a small smile to try to ease up the ambience.

His facial expression remained stoic, and all I did was pray silently that he wouldn't burst. Jin-hyung was a calm person, but he can still be the stern hyung that he is. 

Jin-hyung wiped with the table napkin and stood up from his seat. "I'm sorry Jungkook. But i'm afraid you can't go to this one. You can try other parties but just not this." 

My mouth hung agape. "Why? How is this different from the other ones?"

 He raised an eyebrow at me, surprised that I was questioning his decision. "Jungkook, my word is law in this house. No more questions, I don't want you attending."

And with that he turned and left me alone at the dining table, bewildered beyond my mind. He never used his big brother position to hold it against me.

Excusing myself to our maids and butlers that I have finished my meal,I then exited the dining hall trudging my my way to my room feeling really burdened.

As I walked across one of our mansion's halls I had let my mind drift me off in deep thought. Mostly he would encourage me to go in gatherings like these. He was always the one who told me that I should go live my life and enjoy my days of youth.  Was he perhaps joking about me actually given permission to go to this party? Was he perhaps using reverse psychology at me around that time that's why I always said no?

But the sole reason I always declined parties was because I hated the idea of it. The noise, the occasional bumps and skin contacts with other people (don't get me wrong, i'm not germophobic, its just I hate the fact there's million of bodies pressing against me), the suffocating aroma of booze, mixed scents of people, and the lack of oxygen. Everything is just too foreign for a homebody like me.

I can't even believe I had taken on a bet against Namjoon-hyung, I was an avid believer that bets were utterly pointless. But when he had taunted me that I was naive and that I didn't have a pair, the sensible part of me had disintegrated and the reckless side of me awakened, roaring that I prove him wrong.

I guess, I was just too fed up about their teasing. I mean, come on. There's nothing wrong in being the good guy.

Finally arriving at the comforts of my room, I plopped my body on the bed face-first and let out a loud groan in misery.

Turning on my side,I placed my arm over my eyes. Might as well forfeit on our bet.

"I take that he didn't say yes?" A low voice boomed making me sit up on my bed.

Great, he just has to be here. Namjoon hyung-my brother's right hand man- sat at the cushioned high-backed chair that stood behind my study desk. He wore his usual eccentric clothing which consists of longsleeved shirts with a victorian print in a pastel shade. And in his left hand he held a clear transparent goblet which had a murky green liquid inside it. He's been drinking again.  On his other hand he held a cigarette that fumed out smoke which was the same shade of color as his drink.

"What's it to you?" I scowled at him. "Might as well welcome and accept those years of mockery you and the other hyungs are about to bombard me."

He let out a chuckle and took a puff from his cigarette. "Damn, you're too kind. That's it? You aren't even gonna stand up to him. Just because he said no, you're actually declining too? Jungkook, y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter