Chapter 1

Cruel World

N had a younger brother named Leo.

Their parents had died in a car accident when Leo was 8 years.

Their father had a hotel. But, because at that time N was too young, he couldn't continue his father's business. So, his uncle took over the hotel. He was very cruel. He didn't share and divide the profit that he got from that hotel.

N and Leo couldn't do anything. At that time, they were really sad that he couldn't think anything but his parents.

A week after their parent's funeral, his uncle took them to South Korea. And in South Korea, his uncle gave them a really small house. He left them alone.

So, N and Leo started to live in Korea. They didn't know how to communicate. They used to be in America. That was their first time in Korea, and his cruel uncle left them there.

"This will be your home. Now, both of you will live here." Said the uncle

"Why it's so small?"Asked Leo.

"Yeah. It's just temporary. I will give you the bigger house if you are kind to your brother. So, be kind to your brother. Okay?"

"Okay Uncle."

"And you, N, please take care of Leo. Alright, I have to go. I'll be back soon."

Then, their uncle left. They had no idea that their uncle'd leave Korea and came back to America. They were too young to realize his uncle's nonsense. N was 10  years old, and Leo was 8 years old. No wondered that they got fooled easily.

"N, why isn't uncle coming?" Asked Leo after waiting till night

"I don't know. Let's just wait a bit longer." Said N

"But, I'm so bored. I want to watch cartoon, but there isn't TV here. There is nothing here but walls."

N didn't answer. He noticed the gaffe.

"You're right."

"Ugh, I'm hungry." Said Leo

"Me too"

"I want to eat."

"Let's wait uncle. He will come with food."

"Really?" Asked Leo

"Yeah."

However, their uncle never came back again.

N and Leo were so pitiful. At night, they always stood outside, waiting for their uncle. But, of course their uncle wouldn't come. He was happy with his life in America. So, he didn't care about N and Leo.

At that night, they ate mangos. The only thing that they could eat were mangos. Yeah, cause there was a mango tree behind the house. They neither bought snack nor money in their suitcases. They just brought clothes. They thought that their uncle would bring the stuff they needed

They were hungry, but they couldn't do anything cause they didn't know Korea. They were foreigners, so they couldn't speak Korean. And also, they were too young to think the further solution.

                                                                            -------------------------------

2 days had passed.

Leo starved. He didn't usually eat mangos. He had a stomach ache. Knowing that, N was sad. He didn't know what to do. He knew that Leo needed milk and good food for his growth. But, he didn't have any money. He couldn't buy milk and stuff for Leo.

So, N went out of the home, and he stopped the people who passed him.

"Wait. Please help me." Said N to a man

"Neo, nuguya (who are you)?"Asked the man in Korean language.

N didn't know what was the meaning of those words.

"I'm sorry. I can't speak Korean. Do you speak English?" Said N

The man left N alone instead of answering.

N was hurt.How could that man just leave him alone?

Then, he tried to ask for help to the other people. However, they didn’t care. So, he gave up and decided to just go back home.

‘Oh, why wouldn't they speak English? It’s international language, right?’ Mumbled N all the way home.

At home:

"N, did you find uncle?” asked Leo

“no. I don’t know where he is. I think we should go to the police. Let’s ask the help of the police to find uncle.”

“okay.”

So, N and Leo decided to go to the police. However, they didn’t know where the police station was. They were lost.

Finally, there was a man who passed by. He looked at Leo and N.  He spoke English. So, they could communicate with each other.

“hey, are you cold?” asked the man to Leo, because the man saw Leo who was shivering.

Leo nodded. The man smiled and then he gave his scarf to Leo. There was a small black flame tattoo on his neck. Leo and N looked at it, and they suddenly thought of his uncle. Their uncle also had a tattoo, but a snake tattoo. They wondered about the reason why his uncle left them alone. They missed their uncle.

Then, N and Leo told everything and asked him for help.

“okay, I will help you. I’ll take you to the police station. Get in the car, kids.”

Then, they both got in the car. They sat on the middle seat.

On the road, that man called someone by phone, and he talked on a phone for a long time. They talked in Korean, so Leo and N didn’t understand a thing.

“N, when will we get there?” asked Leo to N.

“I don’t know.”

That man who offered help drove them through the quiet road. So, they couldn’t see where the police station was. All they could see were trees and overhanging face of the rocks.

“I don’t know. Wait a bit longer.” said N.

Then, that man looked at Leo and N through the rear-view mirror

“hey, wait a moment, okay? In this area, we can’t find police station easily since the police stations here aren’t that much. And also, I wanna go to a good restaurant to treat you lunch. You must be very hungry now”

“oh, really?” asked Leo. His eyes sparkled cause he didn’t even get a good meal since his first arrival to Korea.

“sure. But, that restaurant is still far from here. You both can sleep if you want.  I will wake you up as soon as we get there.” Said that man.

Leo and N nodded.

Then, that man started to talk on the phone again.

Leo looked at N. He looked so happy. N was also happy to see Leo’s face that was full of pure happiness.

They were really tired and sleepy. So, they slept peacefully.

“are you sure that you only need one?” asked that man

“yeah.” Said the latter

“then please choose.”

“I choose him. The boy in the left who wears scarf.”

“okay. Give me the money that you promised first.”

“wait. He is American, right?”

“sure. I told you before. They both are American.”

“alright. But, I only need one. So, here’s the money.” Said the latter as he gave a medium-sized luggage that contained money.

The latter opened the luggage and he smiled. Then, he opened the car door, and he took something from the dashboard. So, he took a small liquid and put it on the cloth. That was a kind of drug to make somebody unconscious. Then, he held the cloth to Leo’s nose and mouth. He did the same to N with another cloth. They both were sleeping, so his plan went smoothly.

So, after they both became unconscious, he carried Leo on his arm. The man who had just dealt with him chose the boy on the left, and that boy was Leo.

Then, they went their separate ways. The man who bought and took Leo went to his own place. And the latter, he was confused.

“should I just kill him? But, it’s too cruel, I think. I will just let him in a quiet place or even in the forest” thought the man as he looked at N who was unconscious

Then, he drove the car and while on the road, he suddenly stopped the car. He looked at the house that seemed abandoned.

“uhm, it’s very quiet here. Hmm.. I think moving him into that abandoned house is the best way. Hahaha. He will die of hunger though... Or if he didn’t ... Well, I don’t think it will affect my sake anyway.”

Then, he carried N to the abandoned house.  There was a fence. But, because the fence was short, he could pass it easily. Then, he sacrificed himself to go through the overgrown grass and wilding in the yard of that abandoned house. Then, he put him in front of the door.

Then, he went back to his car and left N alone.

                                                                                                -------------------

In the evening....

“oh, I’m so dizzy.. Wait... What is it? Why can’t I see anything? Everything is black.” Thought N

N woke up and he felt scared. He couldn’t see anything. The lamp in that abandoned house was off. All he could see was just the moonlight that only shone a bit of light. He was afraid of dark, so it really worsened his condition. Then, he realized that he was alone. Everything around him was just a house and wilding. He didn’t even hear the noise of the vehicle that passed by. Yeah, because that place was very quiet. He only heard the noise that caused by cicadas.

N started sweating. He was really afraid. He wanted to scream for help, but his voice didn’t come out. He wanted to say something, but he couldn’t.

“help... please... I’m afraid... Mom... Dad.... Please save me...” said N in his heart as he cried. He hoped that his dead-parents would give him a way to escape from the horrible situation he's in.

His tears couldn’t stop. He was really scared. He couldn’t think of anything. He just cried in silence for all night long.

He cried himself to sleep. But, it seemed like he was crying for too long, cause he just fell asleep at 04:00 in the morning.

At 07:30, a car suddenly stopped in front of that abandoned house. A married couple got out of the car.

“oh my gosh! This house is a mess.” Said the woman

“yeah. It’s because we never care about it. Hmm.. But, it’s okay. We will sell this house anyway. Honey, here are so many wildings. You just stay here, okay? I’ll go inside” Said the man

“okay.”

Then, that man passed through the wilding, and he was shocked to see a boy who was sleeping. The boy sank his head in his hands.

That man was a bit afraid of the boy, but then, he decided to wake up the boy.

“hey... hey....” said the man.

But, the boy gave no response.

Then, that man approached him slowly and he touched his shoulder.

“hey... are you okay?” said the man in Korean language.

Then, that boy who was N, he slowly opened his eyes. He looked up at the man and he started to feel scared.

“hey, don’t be afraid. I just want to know why are you here.”

N didn’t know what was the man talking about. He wanted to speak, but his voice didn’t come out again. It looked like he became a mute person.

“okay. Okay. I know. Let’s go to my car first.”

‘no... how if.. how if he puts me in the dark place like what I’ve experienced back then?’ thought N

Hearing no answer, that man spoke in English.

“hey, do you know what I am saying? Do you speak English?”

N nodded slowly.

“oh.... I’m sorry. I didn’t know. Let’s go to my car. Don’t worry. I’m not going to hurt you. You’ll be safe.”

N just looked at the man.

“what are you waiting for, boy? Let’s go.” Said that man, smiling widely.

Then, the man held N’s hand. At first, he refused. But, then he allowed him.

“good boy.”

Then, the man and N passed the wilding and the overgrown grass. They met the man’s wife.

“oh.. Who is he, honey?” asked the man’s wife. She said Korean.

“I don’t know. I found him sleeping in front of the door. It looks like someone left him there. Let’s bring him home.” Answered the man in Korean language.

“hmm, okay.” She nodded in understanding. She looked at the boy and she took a pity on him.

“oh, right. He speaks English.”

“oh, really? Hmm.. but he looks a bit Korean... “ Said the wife. ‘Asian ancestry, maybe?’ thought her

“honey, and also hmmm... He... I’m not sure whether he can speak or not.” Said the man in Korean, afraid that he might offend him.

“okay, I know. Hey boy, just follow us. We will bring you to our home.” Said the wife to N in English

N only stayed in his place, not moving even an inch. He was hesitant. He moved to get closer to the man.

“she is my wife. Don’t worry.”

“Yeah. Don’t be afraid. We are nice people. Don’t worry about it. Let’s go.” Said the wife

Then, she approached him and held his hand to bring him into the car.

In the car, she asked so many questions to N even though N didn’t answer. He just nodded or shook his head. And sometimes, he didn’t even pay attention. But, she tried to be understanding him.

Fortunately, the kind man and his wife could speak English. The woman was born in USA. She lived there for 26 years before she got married. While the man, he was from Korea. But, he was really smart. He went to a famous university in the USA.That was how they met. They fell in love.They moved to Korea right after they got married.

They owned a hotel, and they ran a restaurant. They were really rich. That abandoned house back there, it was theirs. They had 3 houses. However, they were too busy to take care of their businesses. So, they left one of three houses without taking care of it. They just planned on selling it as an investment.

The wife and N sat in the middle seat.

“so, who is your name?” asked the wife to N.

N didn’t answer.

“hey, can you speak?” She asked, and N nodded.

“then, please speak up. I want to know your name.”

N kept silent again.

“okay. You can introduce yourself later. So, as you know, the man who is driving is my husband. His name is Cha Gi Jeong. And because I’m married to him, so my name is Cha Anna. But, my real name is Anna Kimberly.”

Then, they told many things about them. They also told that they had no kids, even though they wanted to have one.  They had been married for 7 years.

“now. It’s pretty clear, right?” asked Anna as she smiled.

N nodded.

“do you mind telling me your name?”

N wanted to say, but again.. His voice didn’t come out.

Then, Anna took out her phone from her leather handbag. She opened ‘memo’ app and she gave her phone to N.

“just type here.”

Then, N typed his name on the phone.

Carson Maverick Leighton.

“wow. You have a nice name. How do people call you?”

N looked at Anna and he finally spoke.

“N.”

“what?”

“N. Just... Just.. call me N.” Said N, stuttering.

Anna and Gi Jeong smiled. They were happy cause N actually could talk. He wasn’t mute. He just had difficulty speaking.

“so, why were you in that house? Who brought you there?”

“I.. don’t know... I was.. I was sleeping in the car, but.. but....”

N decided to just type what was on his mind cause he was somewhat afraid to talk.

I was sleeping in the car, but when I woke up, I was there all of a sudden.'

“do you live here?” asked Gijeong

“I.. I don’t know...” said N

“oh? How can you not know?” asked Anna

I lived in America. But, since my parents died in a car accident, my uncle asked me and my little brother to live with him in Korea. So, we moved to Korea. We came to Korea about 3 days ago. But, my uncle, he left us alone. My little brother and I went with a man who offered help to drive us to the police station. My brother and I slept in the car while on the road. But, I don’t know what’s next. When I woke up, I was there, in front of the door of that abandoned house.’ Typed N

Anna read that loudly, so her husband could hear.

“then, where is your little brother?”

“I don’t know.” Said N. He was just about to cry, but he held back his tears. Anna hugged him. She his back softly.

“don’t be sad, N. We will help you to find your little brother. We will also tell the police about your uncle to find him.” Said Gijeong

“yeah. It’s okay. Everything will be alright.” Added Anna.

“thank you.” Whispered N

------------------

“hey, wake up! Wake up, you little jerk!” A man threw a bucket of water to a little boy. He said in English.

The little boy was shocked. He woke up, feeling dizzy. He choked and coughed for a moment because of the water that entered his nose.

“wake up, you stupid! Go and wash yourself! I have small clothes for you to wear. They are in that wardrobe.” Said the man as he pointed out his finger to the wardrobe.

That boy was afraid of the man, so he quickly did what the man said.

That boy was afraid of the man, so he quickly did what the man said.

He took a shower quickly, then he changed his clothes. He wondered what was going on.

“what’s your name?” asked the man

“Leo Walder.” Said the little boy with a shaky voice.

“okay, from now on. You’ll be my slave.”

“what? where... where is N?”

“who is N?”

“he is my brother. Where is he?” asked Leo

“oh.. your brother.. Well, he sold you to me.” Said the man. He lied to Leo.

“what?” Leo asked in disbelief

“yeah. You both were starving and had no money to buy meal, right? So, he sold you to me to get money.”

“no. He wouldn’t do that.”

“but, he did that. He sold you to me. He doesn’t love you anymore. So, you should stop thinking about him.” said the man, smirking

Leo gathered up the courage and then he said with a firm voice.

“no. Who are you? I still believe my brother instead of believing you.”

“I don’t care. I am your master. You have to do what I ask you to do.” Said the man. He stared at him with a strong gaze.

“no. Where is N? Please.. Tell me! Where is he?” asked Leo. He started to feel scared

“I told you that he sold you to me! So, I don’t know where he is. He is probably enjoying his life with  the money that he got by selling you.”

Leo didn’t want to trust the man, but he didn’t know anything. He was too young to think further about it. So, his heart and his mind began to feel that he was betrayed by N.

“the world is a cruel place, right?” asked the man.

Leo didn’t answer.

“how old are you?” asked the man. Leo just bowed his head. He didn’t answer

“hey. Can’t you hear me? How old are you, huh?”

Again, Leo kept silent.

“how old are you, you jerk!” The man stood, then he approached Leo and he kicked Leo’s stomach till he fell down.

“arghh..” Leo groaned in pain

“that was a lesson for you for not answering my question.” Said the man

“how old are you?” asked the man again.

“I’m 7 years old.” Said Leo. He shed his tears.

“don’t cry, you fool! Don’t cry! Wipe those tears! You are not allowed to cry!” said the man

But, Leo still shed his tears.

“stop crying!” Then, the man beat him up.

Leo cried harder.

“I told you not to cry! I won’t stop beating you unless you stop shedding your tears!” said the man as he beat him up again and again.

“okay, okay.” Screamed Leo in pain. He wiped his tears immediately.

“not crying is my principle of life. You should know that cause you will live with me anyway. So, you should follow my principle of life! Don’t cry, you got it? ” Said the man

Leo nodded.

“I will send you to school starting from next week. I will take care everything about your data and forth. And from now on, your name is not Leo Walder anymore. Your name will be Jung Taek Woon.”

“why? Leo Walder is the given name from my parents. Why would you change it?” asked Leo

“now, you live in Korea. I don’t want people to recognize you as Leo Walder.”

“why?” Asked Leo. He still didn’t want to change his name.

“why do you ask? Do you mind?” asked the man, he walked closer to Leo

Leo took some steps back.

“no... I don’t mind. But... but...”

“I’ll call you ‘Leo’ sometimes, and sometimes I will call you ‘Taekwoon’, okay? Now, please stop asking!”

Leo nodded.

“and also, don’t tell anyone about what was going on back there. About your family, about how we met, and everything that ever happened to you. Starting now, your life will change.And in front of everyone, you should call me ‘father’. You understand?”

Leo nodded again.

The man looked at his watch. It was 07:47 a.m.

“now, you should prepare yourself. A teacher will come to teach you how to shoot a handgun.” Said the man

Leo was surprised. He was somewhat excited knowing that he would learn how to fire a gun. He loved to play online shooting games. He always imagined and wanted to use a gun in the real life. And that time, it seemed like he was about to reach the dream though he was still 7 years-old.

“oh, right. In the evening, another teacher will come to teach you Korean. Culture and mostly language.”

Leo nodded.

                                                                                                --------------

After they reached home, N typed everything that he couldn’t tell beforehand. He still used Anna’s phone.

Then, GiJeong told the police about what happened. He asked the help from the police to find N’s uncle, the man who left N in the abandoned house, and Leo.

They asked N to live with them for a while, and yeah. N couldn’t refuse. Because, if he refused, where would he stay? He didn’t even speak Korean. It would be very hard for him.

N was really happy. He smiled. His heart was touched by their kindness.

“th... thank you.” Said N.

“no problem. We both will treat you as our son.” Said Anna. She and Gijeong smiled.

“thank you.” Said N again.

“by the way, do you have a difficulty speaking since you were a baby?” asked Anna.

“it’s okay if you don’t want to answer.” Gijeong added.

“no.” N said

“then? Is it because of what happened yesterday till this morning?” Gijeong asked and N nodded.

“yeah.. I... I can’t....” N didn’t finish his words. He chose to type on Ana’s phone again.

I can’t speak freely since then. I don’t know why, but it’s hard to say something even though I want to.’

Anna and Gijeong took a pity on him.

“it’s okay. You will speak like you used to be. It just needs time.” Said Anna

‘but how if I can’t? I’m afraid if I become mute’ typed N

“no, you won’t. Let’s just see a doctor tonight.” Said Gijeong

N was hesitant, but he agreed.

"thank you." said N