Valentine's Day

Elysian

It’s Valentine’s Day and Chanyeol swore it’s probably one of the worst days of the year – if he could just skip that particular day then he would – but the universe just won’t let him do it and he actually have to take the day off school just so he can help his sister to run her shop for a day. Ironically, his sister does own, probably the most popular flower shop in the town and just like every other year, it always too busy to be true on the fourteenth day of February. “Are you not rich enough already to fund extra employee instead of dragging me every year?” Chanyeol raised his eyebrow in irritation when he saw the amount of people lining in front of the shop, and it’s not even seven in the morning yet.

“You hate school anyway, and being here get you some extra pocket money plus all you have to do is take and list the order for today, so what are you complaining about again?” His sister answer nonchalantly. “True, but you have like a dozen of other helpers in here,” Chanyeol leaned his chin on the counter lazily as he saw another probably dozen of more people lining up. “But you like it here and people likes it when I have my handsome cute little brother to give them advice about flowers,”. Chanyeol just huffed at the statement but he can’t really think of the counterattack.

Growing up seeing his sister trying to manage her flower shop makes him learn a lot about flowers, like a side-hobby he had, so he did have a knowledge about one or two things about flowers and sometimes he did get extra tip for helping the customers, especially on Valentine’s Day. But that doesn’t make him any less dislike that certain day of the year. “I’m about to open in five minutes, be ready everybody and Park Chanyeol, smile for the love of goddesses, today is the busiest like always,”. He heard her sister as he sighed for the nth times already, and tried to manage the brightest smile he could do, it was indeed going to be the longest day of the year.

The thing about Valentine’s Day is that it is the time for people to give their other half something affectionate and Chanyeol thought it was quite stupid if you only give lovely gifts to someone who’s dear to you for once a year  - and quite frankly, that’s what most of the people do. He thought that random small gifts at random times will be much more meaningful than just the predictable Valentine’s Day flowers, but hey, everyone can have their own pennies about that.

And speaking of soul mate, Chanyeol unfortunately has none, even with the number of girls who have tried to make him their valentine, he is still going solo and probably not getting into a relationship any time soon – or probably until his crush’s boyfriend got hit by a truck or something but until then, he has no plan to date anyone. “What kind of flowers do you like?”. The girl in front of him asked when he tried to write down her order. “Sorry?” He raised his eyebrow. “I mean, you sure do have a favorite flower, right?” The girl replied nonchalantly. “Uh, the white roses are quite pretty,” Chnayeol randomly pointed at the bouquet of white roses on the side of the counter.

“I’ll take that then,” The girl giggled. “Destination address? Do you want to write any name or message?” He asked again. “What’s your name?” The girl played with her hair as she leaned to the counter a bit more, and Chanyeol did just realize that her school shirt was a little too tight and too revealing. “Uh – uh, Baekhyun?” Chanyeol said – goodness, he just have to sacrifice his friend for this one. “Okay, Baekhyun-ie, here’s my message and my destination address is yours,” She said as she took the notepad from Chanyeol’s hand and scribbled something. “Done,” She smiled as she pushed back the notepad to him.

“Cashier is on the right,” Chanyeol managed to form a smile a handed the receipt before she winked at him and walked away, and he just exhaled in relief afterward. This happened a lot to him, and especially on times like this – his sister said it’s a good thing because more income for the shop – and that’s also why his sister loves it if he was there, standing like an attraction to bait all the teenage girls in. She said with the tall figure and board shoulder like his, every girl would just love to spend some money to impress him – which is kind of a ty action from his sister, but business is still business. He then opened his notepad just to find a phone number and a heart doodle next to it.

 

“Popular, huh?”. He was taken aback by the voice as his gaze met yours as you chuckled at his frowning face. “I was so scared, I thought she was wearing her kindergarten’ uniform,” Chanyeol replied in annoyance. “She’s pretty, though,” You shrugged as you both realized that the girl was still staring at Chanyeol the whole time. “Come on,” Chanyeol scoffed. “Yah, think about how she might’ve spent some good amount of times just to impress you,” You said. “Yeah? How about you? How much time do you take to impress your boyfriend?” He grinned, even though he was trying not to sound so piss about it. “Thirty minutes, one hour, I don’t know, I don’t keep count by the way,” You shrugged nonchalantly.

“So, what’s with the whole visiting me event today? I thought this is your first valentine with your boyfriend?” Chanyeol said as he tried to scribble something random on his notepad to distract his mind. “Silly, I wanted to buy him a gift, take a note of my order properly, will you?” You chuckled in amusement. “Yeah, yeah, whatever,” He smiled slightly. “I want a bouquet of red roses, for Kim Jongdae from his number one and only favorite girl,” You grinned. “Ugh, goose bumps, and I thought you will be more creative than red roses, I taught you things about flowers,” He ranted. “He like simple, classic things, so,” You replied.

“Yeah, why not throw him a classic romantic dinner at the rooftop with flowers petals all around just like another typical Valentine’s date,” Chanyeol sneered. “That’s actually a pretty good idea,” You grinned. “Boring,” Chanyeol added. “Stop it, Chanyeol, you never even met him,” You frowned.

“And that’s the problem, if he is close to you, you should’ve introduced me with him from the very beginning, I am your best friend since you can’t even walk,” Chanyeol frowned back. “You are not going to approve it if you met him,” You shook your head. “Damn right, I need to know his background and everything related to his existence,” He replied nonchalantly. “You are always a drama queen,” You chuckled at his antics. “So, anything else?” He said as he handed you the receipt. “No, thank you for your kind assistance, so here,” She replied as she pulled out a box of cookies and handed it to Chanyeol. “So you can go through your longest day of the year,” You smiled as you could see the huge boyish smile start forming on his lips. “Happy Valentine’s Day, Chanyeol-ah,”.

 

---

 

It does not take an expert to notice that Park Chanyeol have the biggest crush on his best friend, but then again friendship always come first just like every cliché love story – which he thought was pretty stupid not to tell her his true feelings and when his best friend did finally get a boyfriend, Chanyeol never thought he could hate himself as much as then. Worse part was that Chanyeol never met him or actually talk to him, just because you don’t want him to act like an over protective towards you but really, he just want the best for you.

He huffed in annoyance if he were to recall the day that you announce that you were in a relationship, with someone he never know of and he didn’t really approve. But you were so happy that day that he began to soften when he remembered your enlightened face. He can’t really disagree with your decision after seeing you so happy, can he? So he decided to live with it but lately he feels like it was too much for him to bare the feelings any longer.

“Have I ever told you to like, smile to the customers?” His sister suddenly appeared out of nowhere and taunted him with her sarcastic smile. “Everyday in my life, sis,” Chanyeol rolled his eyes in annoyance. “So, smile, for the love of goddesses,” His sister hit the back of his head slightly, which caused him to groan in agony before she left him all alone at his counter again. “Sir?”. Chanyeol was taken aback by the voice and was surprised when he saw a guy in the other side of the counter.

“Ah, yes, may I help you?”. Chanyeol said as he tried to hide his obvious dozing off time. “I actually in kind of hurry, so I will just make it fast,” The guy said as he stepped closer to the counter. “So, you know, I’m in this situation where, uh, I have these, uh, two different, you know,” He whispered nervously to Chanyeol, who was raising his eyebrow all the time since the latter started to talk. “Different girls?” Chanyeol cleared out. “Yeah, but could you like, don’t tell anyone?” The guy replied with a nervous grin. “Yeah, sure, florist’s code, we just deliver and don’t tell,” Chanyeol shrugged.

“Great, I need a bouquet of tulips to this address, and a bouquet of roses to another one,” He said as he slipped two sticky notes to Chanyeol’s direction. “And your name, Sir?” Chanyeol said as he focused on writing the receipt. “Kim Jongdae,” He said in response as Chanyeol immediately stopped his action. “Uh, yeah, here’s your receipt and your flowers will be delivered soon after you pay,” Chanyeol said as he handed a piece of paper before taking one good look at the guy in front of him and trying not to look skeptical about it. “Sure, thank you very much,” Jongdae then said before he left to the cashier as Chanyeol quickly studied a piece of sticky notes he was handed earlier, and your name and address was written perfectly in one of those.

 

---

 

“Hey, someone is outside looking for you,”. One of your classmates nudged you on the shoulder when you were busy stuffing your food into your mouth. “Who?”. You raised your eyebrow. “Didn’t say a name, but uh, tall kind of guy,”. You just nodded at the answer and immediately stood up. You knew you would find him there, leaning at on of the wall, with his glorious bomber jacket and ripped jeans, you can’t help but stared at his appearance for a while. It would be a damned lie if you say you never have a crush on Chanyeol – he was everything perfect, or at least for you, he was – and you probably still did have way too much feelings for him, it just that you wanted everything to stay as the same as it is then with him, and a relationship might ruin that everything.

“I know I’m handsome and all that, but do you really have to stare at me like you just met me?” He smirked playfully at you, and you just grinned in response. “I have a boyfriend,” You . “And you don’t have to remind me that everyday,” Chanyeol huffed. “What’s bring you here? Oh my gosh, don’t tell, do you have a secret girlfriend that no one knows?” You faked a gasp. “Yeah, you,” Chanyeol said in annoyance as he handed you a bouquet of red tulips. “He did not buy in your shop,” You gasped for real this time in happiness when you hugged tight the bouquet. “Yes, he did,” Chanyeol scratched his hair.

“Uh, actually,” Chanyeol paused for a moment, the word was right on the edge of his tongue, your boyfriend is cheating on you, or better yet, he has another girlfriend, he doesn’t deserve you, but everything went numb the moment he saw your delighted face – he doesn’t have enough heart to tell you the truth at that moment. “Actually what?” You raised your eyebrow in excitement. “Actually, he asked me to deliver to your house, but, here I am,” Chanyeol forced a smile and you suddenly gave him a bear hug. “Thank you so much,” You muttered.

“Oh, I’ve been thinking about your stupid idea about rooftop dinner, and I thought it’s not that stupid you know, so, my friend know one of the restaurant’s owner and I think she can help me rent or something,” You were grinning all the way as you told him your idea. “Ah, about that, that is kind of stupid, really, like it’s literally so dumb that you don’t have to make it come true, like come on,” Chanyeol laughed nervously as he shrugged. “No, it’s actually a pretty cool idea,” You insisted. “Or better yet, let him do all the work, sweetheart, why making so much effort on him,” Chanyeol didn’t really know why he keeps talking when obviously you weren’t liking the way he talked as you frowned at his statement. “I mean like, it just not a good idea,” Chanyeol shrugged again at the end.

“Why are you being weird, Chanyeol?” You raised you eyebrow at him skeptically. “I mean I know you don’t like it that I never introduced you to him but do you really hate him like that?” You continued. “No, no, why would I hate him without knowing anything about him,” He laughed awkwardly. “You know what, I think I know why,” You suddenly added. “You do?”. “Yeah, now that I think about it, since I started going out with Jongdae, I spent less times with you and –,”. You paused, you honestly didn’t expected that to slipped out from your tongue. “And?” Chanyeol raised his eyebrow, you knew he was offended at some point.

“You thought I’m jealous, did you?” Chanyeol said out of the blue. “Not exactly jealous, but, we have been together for a really long time, Chanyeol, I don’t know, more like you are missing that one person who was always with you and now that I have someone else,” You stopped when you saw he sighed. “It’s not like that,” He hissed afterward. “I do miss you at some point but, I don’t know, just forget it, enjoy your flowers and date,” He ended up leaving without saying any words and you swore you never hate anything more than seeing how disheartened Park Chanyeol was right then.

 

---

 

It’s still Valentine’s Day and you didn’t really feel good after your conversation with Chanyeol, as you were picking up the supplies for your plan. You argued a lot with Chanyeol a lot of time before, but he never left with such a disappointment written all over his face, so when he actually didn’t bother to reply your message, you were kind of freaking out. You picked out one of the red candle as you thought how everything started – how Kim Jongdae approached you out of nowhere and actually caught your attention with his charms, and how you just dated him for two weeks yet Chanyeol already freaking the hell out.

But that was just Chanyeol being Chanyeol honestly, he was always the drama when he was with you – and honestly too, you like the feeling of being protected by him, because with him, you couldn’t feel less than safe and sound.

“It was weird to see you without Chanyeol,”. The familiar voice grabbed your notice as you turned around to see who the owner was. “Baekhyun, right?” You said as you recognized one of Chanyeol’s school friends – you never really go to one school with Chanyeol actually, which is kind of unfortunate. “Yeah,” He smiled as he nodded. “You were always with him when we met,” He added. “So this is why he was sulking earlier when I visited him at the shop, you were not with him,” He continued with a huge smirk. “I don’t think it was because of it,” You replied. “Oh, trust me, it is, he can’t stand one second not talking about you, that’s an exaggeration but he is just like that,” Baekhyun laughed. “So, what’s with the candle?” He suddenly said as he took a look at your shopping basket.

“Uh, this was for uh,”.  “Got special someone today?” Baekhyun raised his eyebrow in amusement. “I actually did,” You gave him a bitter smile – you didn’t know why, but don’t feel as excited as before. “Oh, there goes another reason why Chanyeol is on a ty mood for almost two weeks like he was on period or something,” Baekhyun shrugged. “You affect him so much, you know that?” He chuckled. “Who’s the lucky guy, by the way? I’m amused that Chanyeol hasn’t investigated him yet,” Baekhyun added.

“I’m pretty sure he has, actually, knowing him for so long already,” You shrugged nonchalantly. “It’s Kim Jongdae by the way, and in case that name ring a bell, please don’t tell anything about him to Chanyeol,” You added with a slight chuckle. “Kim Jongdae?” Baekhyun scrunched his nose and you nodded slowly in response.

 

---

 

You were so done with your life right then, as you leaned your body to the restaurant’s window, probably looking like a freak with your upset eyes. “This is so stupid,” You muttered under your breath when you took a look inside the restaurant once again and saw your supposed-to-be boyfriend, sitting with another girl and being all flirty. It turned out Baekhyun does know your boyfriend, and spilling all the tea to you and you can’t help but wanting to burn his house down immediately. And when you got home, you tried to ask him out that night but of course he just had to lie about having an event with his parents.

First, you tried to think of what things you should insult him with if you have enough courage to confront him in the middle of freaking restaurant and second, you tried to think of what the hell you should tell Chanyeol about this – or maybe you shouldn’t tell him at all. Funny that at times like this, your mind went back to Chanyeol, maybe it’s a damned sign that you should just stay single and just trail around with him until you die – well, that suddenly doesn’t sound so bad.

But to think about it again, the core reason why you hide your boyfriend from Chanyeol, was so that he could escape Chanyeol’s shadow, because you don’t remember times before Chanyeol, so that every time you look at him, you won’t find any of Chanyeol’s traces. And you did realize that it didn’t work that way either, because in reality, you weren’t a good girlfriend either for the past two weeks, because everything he does did remind you of Park Chanyeol.

Goodness, you were trying to make up your mind just then when you realized there were a small card in between the tulips on the bouquet you bought along – that you planned to throw on Kim Jongdae’s face – and when you picked it up and saw what’s inside, you realized why Park Chanyeol bothered to deliver the flower to your school on a broad daylight on Valentine’s Day. It was a cute little pink note from your boyfriend, but your name wasn’t in it – and that’s also mean Park Chanyeol has discovered that your boyfriend was cheating from you, or with you, the whole time.

“Yah,”. Speaking of the devil, you thought you were hearing things but you actually found the giant figure in front of you with his obvious panting and an annoyed look. “Baekhyun told you, huh?”. All you managed to do was chuckled bitterly. “He’s my best friend, not yours, so bros before hoes,” Chanyeol snorted. “I just found your note,” You said as you handed him the note. “Oh, I gave you the wrong bouquet? Too bad,” He scoffed. “This is why you should let me interfere with your dating life, sweetheart, there are s everywhere, and I just want you to be safe, that’s why you – yah, why are you,” Chanyeol paused when he actually saw your watering eyes but you managed to smiled at him slightly. “I’m sorry,”.

But instead Chanyeol pulled you into a tight hug almost too immediately, as he your back slowly. “He is the one who needs to be sorry,” He muttered. “I should listen to you,” You murmured on his chest – goodness, you always love his scent. “Yes, you should, but that doesn’t give any right for him to hurt my baby like this,” He replied. “Don’t cry for him, he is not worth your tears,” He continued as he your hair. “Hey, it still Valentine’s Day, right?” He suddenly pulled you from him and bends his body to get the same level as your eyes. “Let me take you on a date,” He smiled as he patted your head gently as you nodded in response.

“He’s so stupid, Chanyeol,” You blurted out. “Yeah, he is, but I’m pretty sure you don’t and that’s why I’m here, to make sure that you did it properly,” Chanyeol grinned. “Did what properly exactly?” You raised your eyebrow when Chanyeol’s took a glance on the restaurant’s door. “To give that little a damned lesson for hurting you,”.

 

---

 

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier when you deliver the flower that he has another girlfriend?” You asked when you both were walking on the small path. “You were so happy, I just don’t want to ruin this special day for you,” Chanyeol replied. “I mean, you could’ve just tell me sooner before I went rampant on you,” You said. “I’m use to your angry state, sweetheart, but I never really know how to deal with you being heartbroken, actually,” He shrugged. “I wasn’t sure earlier how to make you feel alright if some jerks decided to broke your heart except for murdering the guy, so, I’m sorry for that,”.

“Stop crying by the way,” Chanyeol added as he patted your head again. “I am not, I am just sniffling, it’s cold,” You chuckled. “I am not that sad, you know, to be honest I barely know him,” You continued and shrugged at the end. “I’m not even sure whether I really do like him or not,” You laughed at your own statement as you leaned to the small wooden bridge upon the small pond at the nearby park. “Then why did you date him, dummy?” Chanyeol scoffed. “I don’t know, peer pressure perhaps,” You grinned. “That’s so stupid,” He shook his head.

“You should only date someone you really care about,” He suddenly added.

“Someone who looked at you like you are the most beautiful thing at the whole planet, someone that make you feel safe and happy, someone you know at the back at your hand, someone who would give up the entire universes just for you,” He continued as he looked at you. “Someone who will never makes you feel less than perfect,” He ended with a slight smile.

“Do you have anyone like that?” You asked without really knowing exactly what do you expect him to answer. “You mean, someone like you?” He actually stared at you with his warm rounded eyes. “No, just you,” He continued as he chuckled. “Does that mean that you should date me?” You smiled back at him. “Do you want to?” He stepped closer to you and closed the gap between the both of you.

“Maybe, but you are my best friend, and I don’t want to –,”. You were cut by his lips pressed against yours gently as his hand found its way to your neck and hold you for a little longer before you managed to return his kiss. “Is that a yes?” He grinned playfully after he pulled away. “If this is your way to make me feel alright after some guy broke my heart then it’s definitely working,” You replied with an amused smile. “I know,” He grinned.

“It took so long but, it upsets me that we are just friends for a long time when I know that I rather die than not looking at your smile for just one day and it got terrifying to know that you have someone else and that’s not me but it was worst to realized that if I don’t do anything soon, we will still be together without you being completely mine,” He continued. “And if you didn’t feel the same, which is not possible because you kissed me back, can we forget all of this?” Chanyeol said.

“Do you really think I would say no?” You burst into a chuckle. “Maybe I did never like him after all, maybe he was indeed only a mere distraction, you know? So that for once in a while I would not think of you,” You confessed and you never seen his smile bigger that then before he pulled you to another longing kiss.

 

“Happy Valentine’s Day,”