Chapter One

Just My Luck

Just My Luck

 

Prompt: Arranged/ Accidental Marriage AU
Jimin-15/17
Namjoon-18/20

 

 

-(Two years ago)-

 

“So, why did you call me here, Jimin?”


Jimin flushed and avoided his hyung’s gaze as he stuttered out a response.


“N-Namjoon hyung, I-I…Uhm…”


When words failed Jimin, Namjoon raised a brow in question and crossed his arms across his chest, impatient to leave. Jimin gulped again and shut his eyes as he blurted out what he’d wanted to say since the beginning of freshman year. “I-I like you hyung, please g-go out with me!”


Jimin heard Namjoon heave a small sigh and he immediately felt himself blush in response, maybe he shouldn’t have said anything at all.


“Jimin,” Namjoon called, making Jimin startle out of his thoughts and look at him in surprise, his face still flushed in embarrassment and his eyes shining with a little bit of hope.


“I’m not interested right now, sorry.” Namjoon replied, his eyes cold as he regarded Jimin with an indifferent expression on his face, his newly dyed blonde hair glinting in the late afternoon sun.


“O-oh…” Jimin stuttered, his heart shattering as Namjoon brushed past him and made his way down the hall of the school for the last time.

 

 

 

-(Present)-

 

 

 

“-min! Jimin!” The incessant noise made Jimin stir from his slumped position on his desk. Blearily, he lifted his head from his arm pillow and was met with the sight of ruffled flaxen hair and a boxy smile.


“Yah, Kim Taehyung, why did you wake me up!?” Jimin asked in irritation, using his hand to shove away the younger male’s face because the cheeky brat didn’t even bother using an honorific.


Taehyung slapped away Jimin’s hands and gestured around him to the empty classroom. “Hey! I was just waking you up so that you wouldn’t stay here until the sun went down!”


Jimin yawned and ignored Taehyung, he had a heavy feeling in his chest and he just wanted to go home and fall asleep in his comfy bed. “-Besides, you have to be awake if you’re gonna clean. I don’t think Mr. Na would appreciate coming to school and walking into a classroom with a sleeping student and a dirty classroom. But then again-”


“Wait,” Jimin interrupted, looking more alert as he slowly processed Taehyung’s rambling words. “What do you mean clean?”


Taehyung shut his mouth and smiled a bit sheepishly. “Hyung, I volunteered you to clean the classroom today.”


Jimin ignored the need to gloat over making the most difficult dongsaeng in the world say ‘hyung’ and instead jumped to his feet and tried to grab Taehyung in a chokehold. “You brat! Didn’t I tell you not to sign me up for stuff when I wasn’t around!?”


Taehyung, already having anticipated Jimin’s reaction, easily evaded the smaller man and cackled as he made a run for the door. “But Jimin-ah, you were there!” He called out from the safety of the door, pausing to smirk in triumph back at Jimin because he found a way around Jimin’s demand.


“I was sleeping!” Jimin protested as he gave up chasing the flaxen haired young man and settled for throwing a pencil left on a random desk at him. He smirked in triumph when the projectile hit Taehyung square in the forehead, eliciting a whine from the younger male.


“Tsk. You should know better to sleep in class, what would Jungguk-ah think if he saw his beloved ‘hyung’ sleeping in class?” Taehyung asked Jimin cheekily, knowing full well that Jungguk didn’t consider Jimin anything close to a hyung (if anything, he acted like Jimin was his younger brother).


Jimin replied by throwing another pencil, making Taehyung duck out into the hall and leave school with a self-satisfied laugh echoing behind him.


‘Aish, I should have never introduced those two to each other!’ Jimin thought in irritation, letting out a huff as he packed up his stuff and began looking for the supplies to clean the room. But as Jimin set out on his task, the familiar pang in his heart reminded him of his earlier dream- a memory that he desperately wanted to get rid of.

 

 

 

Two and a half years ago, the end of summer before his freshman year, Jimin was busy reading over the results of his high school entrance exams. Being relatively dedicated, Jimin studied hard and when the time came, he applied or the best school in Seoul, alternatively known as Silbeo-Mun Academy. It was a prestigious school that housed bluebloods and novou riche, and Jimin was lucky enough to get a scholarship.


So when the school year began, Jimin looked forward to being the social butterfly. Unfortunately, things didn’t work out that way because a lone group of upperclassmen decided that they didn’t like the freshman that was taken the same classes they had to repeat. They began with petty bullying, and although hurt, Jimin didn’t mind it too much. Then things began to escalate and soon Jimin had to hide bruises and miniscule cuts from his mother when he came home a bit later than usual. The only method Jimin had of coping with them was either hiding or running.


One day, Jimin had to stay late for a class, and instead of waiting the bullies out while hiding like he usually did, Jimin was forced to run. He remembered being frantic as he ran up the stairwell and burst through the doors leading to the third floor- the one usually reserved for seniors.


The sound of shouting reached Jimin’s ears and the boy panicked, running down the hall and skidding down a corner- only to run into someone and bring them both crashing down to the ground.


“S-sorry!” Jimin had stuttered, quickly getting up and not bothering to give the person he ran into a proper once over. More shouts reached his ears and Jimin turned his head to the left and then to the right, only to realize that he had reached a dead end. The student on the floor grunted as he got up, but Jimin ignored him in favor of searching for a place to hide.


Ah, that’s it!’ Jimin exclaimed in his mind as he made his way over to a janitorial closet. And without a moment to spare, Jimin slipped inside the closet and shut the door behind him, the sound of his own harsh breathing filling the silence.


A few more moments passed and soon the sound of low murmuring reached Jimin’s ears. He leaned closer and pressed his ear to the door to hear better, but he couldn’t make out what was being said beyond the door.


Soon a loud bang made Jimin flinch back and fall onto the floor of the closet, his heart thudding out of his chest and his conscience making him feel unbelievably guilty. ‘W-what if they hurt him!? It’ll be my fault!’ He thought with a growing sense of panic. He was sure there were at least three people following him, there was no way that the student he bumped into in the hall would be able to defend himself if they chose to target him instead of Jimin.


Another bang followed by a shout made Jimin flinch again, but this time an eerie silence permeated the area and made Jimin feel an apprehensive shiver run down his spine. ‘What should I do-‘


The door to the janitor’s closet was wrenched open with a harsh yank and Jimin had to squint and cover his eyes from the bright light of the hallway. Except he was prevented from doing so by a large hand roughly grabbing the collar of his uniform and effortlessly lifting him up of the ground.


“Hey, brat, mind explaining to me what this was all about?” A deep voice, smooth and velvety, startled Jimin and made him open his eyes in surprise. Tan skin, sharp collar bones, and a strong jawline was the sight he was met with before he trailed his eyes up to find plump flushed lips, dark brown eyes, and black hair cut into a Mohawk.


“Wah! Don’t hurt me!” Jimin shouted and he hunched his shoulders and covered his face with his hands, nearly shaking with fear because he was sure that the tuff looking senior was going to bully him like the kids who were chasing him down the hall a few moments ago.


“What!? I’m not—” The senior sighed and he gently shook Jimin with his hand still holding the petite male up by the collar of his uniform jacket. “Hey, kid look at me.”


Jimin shook his head and he felt the senior frown more than he actually saw him. “N-no,” Jimin answered defiantly as he shook his head. He didn’t like looking his bullies in the face when they hurt him, their eyes were usually full of spite and anger and it pained Jimin to see a look like that directed his way, especially since he didn’t know what he did to warrant such treatment.


The senior sighed and when he spoke again his voice was full of impatience. “Fine, you give me no choice.” He said before he abruptly unclenched his fist and let Jimin fall to the ground in a heap.


Jimin squeaked in surprise and he only had time to open his eyes and peek thought his fingers before the floor rushed toward him. He smacked his face into the floor and his nose took the brunt of his fall, making him cry out in surprised pain. “OW!”


“Heh, you should have listened to me brat,” The senior laughed, his voice full of amusement and a smirk adorning his plush lips when Jimin lifted his head to glare at him.


“Hey! You didn’t have to throw me to the ground, my nose hurts!” Jimin whined and he tentatively touched the tender red area on the bride of his nose, hissing when his fingers probed a bit too roughly.


The senior shrugged and Jimin noticed that he was out of dress code. Silbeo-Mun Academy had a strict policy that the uniform be worn correctly at all times, in and out of school, lest a wayward student commit a juvenile crime and reflect badly on the school. However the senior with the handsome face and black Mohawk wore his standard grey shirt open at the collar, exposing the smooth muscles of his chest and the various glinting gold jewelry hung around his neck (Based on the exclusiveness of the school, Jimin was sure that every gaudy gem and fleck of gold was 110% real). His uniform pants were also replaced with ripped black jeans and his shoes were black combat boots, the laces undone at the top, making Jimin wonder how he didn’t trip just by taking a single step.


“Hey, you gonna stare all day, brat? Or are you gonna tell me what the hell, this—” The senior carelessly pointed with his thumb thrown over his shoulder at the heap of bodies piled behind him. Jimin gasped in shock once he noticed that they were his usual bullies. “—Was all about?”


“How did you do that!? There were four of them!” Jimin asked instead of answering the delinquent senior’s question. He only saw one man take on multiple opponents in action movies, and the last time he checked, Jimin was living in real life and not a cinematic flick.


The senior scoffed and he sent a glare at the pile of groaning boys behind him, each one sounding pained beyond anything in the world. “Tch! These weak bastards thought that they could order me around,” Here the black haired senior shoved a hand in his pocket and whirled around and walked back toward the pile of bullies, stopping at the side of one who was trying to crawl away. “Like they didn’t already know who I was,” He spat as he ground his heel viciously into the escaping boy’s hand and seeming to relish in his screams of pain.


Jimin felt a shiver of fear run up his spine, but a small part of him felt just a little vindicated and relieved, the bully probably wouldn’t come after him again due to the extensiveness of his injuries. ‘Finially, I can study in peace!’ Jimin thought triumphantly, shoving his guilt away when the senior turned back to him with an unreadable glint in his eyes.


“By the way, you ran into me on your way to hide and you never apologized for it. You have also failed to answer my question twice now, so I repeat myself once more, what the hell is going on here, brat?” The senior stalked toward Jimin with a predatory glint in his eyes, leaning down so that the tipoff his nose almost brushed against Jimin’s still reddened one.


Jimin gulped and he shrank back from the man, he was handsome but he was unbelievably scary when he wanted to be. “N-nothing was going on! T-they just like to harass me and I-I was running late today, so they w-were chasing m-me! I-I didn’t w-want to get h-hurt!”


The senior looked surprised for a moment and there was a brief moment where the amused and indifferent expression from earlier dropped, leaving him looking no older than Jimin himself.


But the moment passed and Jimin flinched when the senior cleared his throat and back away. “Well, if you don’t want to get hurt, learn to fight brat.” With that last bit of advice, the senior his heel and walked out of the hallway, stepping on the possum playing bullies on the way, though Jimin noticed him giving all of them a deadly glare as he stalked off as if he owned the school.

 

 

 

Shaking the memory off, Jimin scowled and opened the supply closet in the hallway outside of his classroom. He hated how naïve he was back in freshman year and he hated how the cocky senior (Namjoon his traitorous mind whispered) made his heart flutter and his eye sparkle in admiration as if the man had set the stars and moon in the sky with a single nonchalant flick of his wrist.


Letting out a frustrate growl, Jimin grabbed the cleaning supplies he needed and he shut the door of the broom closet with an irked slam. ‘Why can’t I forget about that bastard, he shot me down and didn’t have the decency to show up at school after that!’


After Jimin had confessed and was turned down, Namjoon left school and never came back again. He was distraught because he got used to following Namjoon around and catering to his needs like a puppy, hell he even made boxed lunches for him and fed him like some stupid lovey dovey wife. So after asking around, the staff informed Jimin that the delinquent who smoked, fought in school, ditched class, and never followed dress code was a genius and graduated early.


To say he received the shock of his life was an understatement, but instead of feeling hi heart break all over again, sweet Jimin with the patience of a saint, snapped. Now whenever Namjoon was brought up, or anything remotely related to him came up, Jimin lost his temper and started shouting and cursing the smirking memory of Namjoon in his mind. Taehyung had once compared him to a crazed ex-wife, but he quickly learned to shut up since Jimin learned Tae Kwon Do after Namjoon left. It helped keep his stress levels low and all Jimin had to do was imagine Namjoon whenever he was kicking or generally punching his practice bag and needed more motivation when his body started to ache.


“Tch, handsome bastard thinks he’s sooo y with his dumb smirk,” Jimin muttered out loud as he began sweeping under the classroom desks. Aside from his burning inferno of anger at Namjoon, he was still a people pleasing goody two shoes.


“Who is this y bastard you’re referring to?” A velvety deep voice rumbled and Jimin shrieked in surprise, whirling around and clutching his broom to his chest as his eyes were inadvertently drawn to the door.


“Careful brat, I might grow jealous.” Namjoon was leaning against the frame in an easy going pose, his hands stuffed into the pockets of a very expensive black suit. He was wearing a smirk and his coal colored eyes not so subtly raked over Jimin’s form. His hair was no longer blonde, but was now a bright flame colored red that matched the scarlet silk tie he wore. The red locks were slicked back, but a stray lock fell into his eyes and brought out the natural red of his shapely lips. He looked mature and sensual, but most disconcerting of all, Jimin felt his anger dissipate at the sight of him as a feeling of elation and happiness bubbled up inside him.


“Y-you,” Jimin stuttered as he dropped his broom and stepped closer to Namjoon. He man raised an eyebrow that silently said yes? and Jimin finally regained his sense of self. “You cretin! I waited for you every morning for an entire week and you didn’t even have the ing decency to tell me that you were leaving!” Jimin shouted and he stomped his way to Namjoon, jabbing a finger into his chest when he finally stood before him and had to crane his head up to glare in the surprised red head’s eyes. “Through everything, I at least thought that you saw me as a friend.”


Namjoon softened at his last sentence and before Jimin could even blink, strong toned arms wrapped around his shoulders and he was tugged into Namjoon’s chest. He lost all coherent thought and a deep rose colored flush made its way to his cheeks when he realized that Namjoon smelled like cinnamon and something vaguely masculine.


“I’m sorry Jimin-ah, I won’t leave you again.” Namjoon murmured and his lips barely brushed the tip of Jimin’s ear, making the petite male shiver and grow even more flustered. He hadn’t been this close to anyone in two years and from this distance, he could fist his hands into the fabric of Namjoon’s suit jacket and under it he could hear the strong steady beats of his heart, proving that he was real and not a trick of Jimin’s imagination.


But, Jimin used his grip on Namjoon’s jacket to shove the taller male away, using all the strength he gained in training to catch Namjoon off guard for once.


“You idiot!” Jimin screeched once Namjoon recovered and cast a questioning glance in his direction. “You can’t just leave for two years and come back, expecting the old me to welcome you with open arms!”


Namjoon’s jaw clenched and his coal eyes darkened in frustration, “Why not? You promised to wait for me, didn’t you?”


Jimin gaped at him and his voice raised to a high, squeaky pitch in his incredulity. “What!? I did no such thing!”


Namjoon scoffed. “You did. Do you remember the first time I told you to off? Well you promised that you weren’t going to stop bothering me until your debt to me was paid off in full, interest included.”


Jimin narrowed his eyes and tried to remember—


. His naïve self, fascinated with the unaffected and cool Namjoon, had followed the senior around and done him little favors as a way of saying thank you for getting rid of his bullies for good. Hell the bastards even apologized to Jimin and they returned all his stolen stuff. Unfortunately, his little home baked goods were thrown in the trash and glares and snarls were sent his way when Namjoon saw him lurking near his locker, that is until Jimin got fed up and shoved a cupcake into the taller male’s mouth and watched as a blissed expression crossed Namjoon’s face as he chewed.


Namjoon smirked when he saw the realization on Jimin’s face. “That’s right, I’ve come back to collect my interest Jimin-ah.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Please help a blue author and comment! It might motivate me to continue ^.^'