My wish for you

My wish for you

                For Karina, spending time with her best friends is the only thing that she wishes for. She paddles her bicycle happily while humming her favourite songs in her mind as she really looking forward for another day with them. She knows them since kindergarten where sensei put them in a group to do one of activity that creates their bond until today. While she still enjoying scenery in front of her, she suddenly stop at side of the road before put her hand at her left chest as it feel really pain, like being stab with something that really sharp.

                She quickly takes out painkiller that she always keeps in her bag before gulp it down with help of water. She makes it quick as she needs to reach at school fast before anyone notice anything. She knows her body really easy to catch diseases as she has weak body condition ever since she involve in road accident few years ago. She barely survives because of constant medication.

                When she almost reach school, someone slap her back that make her move to the front a bit before hear, “Ohayou!”

                She knows who it is as there is only one person who would greet her like that that make her says, “Ohayou, Ryosuke-kun! You’re always cheerful in the morning.”

                “I only do that because you always look down in the morning.” Say Ryosuke. He fixes his sport bag’s strap on his shoulder. He is one of Karina’s best friends, Yamada Ryosuke, a boy that has passion in soccer and have big dream to join international soccer team. Even his mind always occupy with soccer, he also love to cook various dish and for her, his food always light up her day.

                Karina show her tiny smile, “Thanks for willing to bright up the day.” she remember about Ryosuke always reach school with their other two best friends that make she asks, “Where is Rin-chan and Keito-kun? You always go to school with them, right?”

                Ryosuke always go together with the other two as they live near to each other. Karina used to live nearby them but then, move to other place as she begin live alone. Ryosuke says, “Both of them make stop at shop before reach here to buy something. I go first because I have to meet sensei before class begin.”

                “Don’t tell me that you get into trouble in your class again?” Karina make correct guess as she knows really well about that and reaction that she get from Ryosuke is childish pout, “We already last year of high school. Even you want to join J-league, you still need to study.”

                “At least, my future has already been decided. How about yours?” Ryosuke trap her as among four of them, only Karina still undecided even after teacher-parent-student meeting.

                Karina parks her bicycle at place provided before join back Ryosuke to walk into the building. Karina says, “I will figure it out soon.”

                “You better figure it out as soon as possible.” A voice joins them and it is Keito. Karina could guess it is him without turn around because she could hear some of girls’ squeals as that guy popular with his basketball skill and fluent in English as he has join exchange program to overseas before.

                “Just let her decides by herself and times still a lot for us. It just first term of the year.” Say a girl that Karina knows it is Rin as she always with Keito who happen to be her brother. She’s also the first person who greets her when they in kindergarten as Karina has problem to communicate before this.

                Four of them change their shoes before walk to their classes since they share same class. Karina takes her seat which is the furthest table in the class. The lessons go smoothly without she feels any pain at her heart. She feel relieve when nothing bad happen until the end.

**********

                Karina reaches home safely but she could feel herself uneasy at that day. She thinks about what she should prepare for her dinner. Her heart give sudden constrict pain that really unbearable for her. She tries to reach her phone that has alarm to the hospital in case she has emergency but it is out of her reach that make she has to work hard to reach her phone.

                She cries in pain while try to move, “Papa, it is hurt! Help me!” The only thing that Karina remember before her world become dark is someone’s voice in shock.

                She opens her eyes back to see herself in a white room with many machines connect to her body. She glances around to check for anything and her eyes stop at a figure who sits beside her bed. It is her father, Junta and hears he says, “It is lucky that I’m there.”

                “How you could be there?” Karina hardly asks as she still has oxygen mask on her face. Her father tells on he plans to surprise her with special cake that he bought from a famous shop as he knows how she want to taste it.

                “I know you never want to put burden on us but you’re my daughter and you deserve my attention too. You should tell me if you feel something wrong about your body.” Say her father as he squeezes her hand. He knows his daughter is not in good relationship with everyone after they fight on what kind of high Karina want to enrol.

                Karina only smiles a bit to say, “I think it only small attack like before this.”

                “You know your condition will be worse soon as you never want to do proper treatment, right?” Junta say that.

                Karina shakes her head to sides, “No, it will cause you more money. I don’t want mama scold me again. I will be okay soon even without proper treatment.”

                “Is that why you never want to make decision about your future?” Junta make a guess.

                “I know I won’t have that long life to plan for my future. Mama would be really happy as I will die soon, right?” Karina says it weakly. They have to cut their conversation short as the doctor get into the room to make examination on her.

*************

                “It feels really weird when Karina-chan skips school. I thought she really love school more than anyone else.” Say Rin.

                Ryosuke come out with an idea to check her at her house but Keito say that she is not there. Keito quickly tell that he goes to her house as he want to give something to her before go to school but there is no one home. They even try to reach Karina’s phone but it only get to her voicemail.

                They decide to ask for detail from their teacher, the only answer that they get, “Her father make phone call to me that she will be absence from school for a while to focus on family matter.”

                “Family matter? That would impossible for her.” Say Rin.

                Ryosuke says, “She would have to tell us about that if it really happen.”

                “For sure, something happen her. Any of you remember address on her medical tag?” says Keito as they know Karina would never leave that behind when it really important to her and her body always weak.

                Rin remember the detail as she has talk about that with Karina while they’re changing clothes for PE before this. That girl never joins PE but always accompany her to change clothes.

                “I’m really sorry. There is no one with that name here.” say the hospital’s receptionist when they ask about her.

                Keito who could sense something behind it, “It must Junta oji-san did something as Karina asks for it. She never wants to let us worry about her even a bit.”

***************

                Karina could only stay on her bed as the medical effect and her condition really weak. Since the doctor already ask to put her in full rest, she ask Junta to tell the people there that she doesn’t want to accept any visitor except him. She use the time by make some reading on novel that she ask her father’s to buy. She really enjoy read it as it is something that she may not able to experience it.

                She really wants to move around but there is no one in her room. She barely reaches for TV remote control to change the channel. A nurse walk into the room and says, “It already time for temperature check.”

                “Yes…” reply Karina weakly.

*****************

                Keito couldn’t hide his worry because can’t get in touch with Karina and same goes to the other two. They decide to check at Karina’s house for any clue and it seem luck blow towards them because they meet Junta. Rin asks, “Uncle, where is Karina-chan?”

                “She’s n-not here because she gets vacation.” Shutter Junta.

                “You always shutter when you try to lie about Karina-chan.” Say Rin.

                Junta surrender with them and decide to tell everything about what happen. They go to hospital to visit Karina but he already warns not to surprise Karina.

                Even like that, Karina really surprise to see the visitors. She glare to her dad, “Oyaji, we already agree to hide it from them.”

                “I know but they are way stronger than me.” Whine Junta.

                Rin runs to hug her best friend while saying, “You really cruel to hide that you get admit into hospital without tell me.”

                “Gomen, I just don’t want to make you guys worry about me since we’re in important time.” Say Karina. She’s smiling but everyone could see how pale her face is.

                Ryosuke gently pat Rin’s shoulder and says, “Your hug will kill her.”

                Keito says, “You know that you shouldn’t hide this matter from us.”

                Three of them could see that girl look really weak that make Rin cries a bit as she couldn’t hold any longer, “We’re friend, right? You can always depend on me.”

                They decide to spend time there for a while and Junta decide to give them space to be together. He knows his daughter’s friends really care about Karina but that girl just too afraid to accept it openly. Her dark memories affected everything that she does nowadays.

*******************

                Since Karina decides want to take breath outside the room, Keito offer himself to help her since the other two decide to go out to buy something for her. He says, “If you feel really bored, I could lend you my game console. You can use it whenever you want.”

                “It’s okay, Keito-kun. My doctor already ask me to get full rest and I’m planning to sleep all-day since I hardly get that.” despite being in that condition, she still try to make joke.

                Keito try really hard to cover up his depress to see that girl like that and says, “You should recover soon because I already plan to bring you to amusement park that you really love and confess my feeling after we ride jet-coaster.”

                “Wah~! That’s totally manga-like but it would be really fun… I don’t think I could accept your confession during that time because I don’t have much time. I will only join you to amusement park as long you pay for it.” Say Karina, weakly.

                “I will wait for you because I want you to be happy.” Say Keito. Both of them stop at one corner that faces the nice high place that totally gives them space alone.

                Karina weakly hold Keito’s hand, “Sometimes, the love that we mean is to separate with as it’s not for us. It may harsh but that’s the reality. There is no hope for me as I’m counting my days to the end.”

                “Please don’t say that. I’m okay with everything but not that…” Keito hugs her from behind and she could feel her back begin to wet.

                They stay in that position for quite long time until two voices interrupt them, “Ah, they’re here!”

                “Yeah, it’s really hard to found both of you. Keito-kun, what are trying to do to my Karina-chan?” Rin pulls Keito off from Karina and act like what to protect her from him.

                Keito seem doesn’t know what to say and Karina make-up something to cover what really happen, “We accidentally meet bee and Keito-kun hide behind me. He even cries because too scared with it.”

                The other two just laugh it off while Karina exchange glance with Keito to tell him that she will keep what happen with themselves. Ryosuke lift up plastic and says, “Hey! We bought your favourite ice-cream! I never think it would be really hard to get one as it looks like that you easily bought it before.”

                “Yatta but let’s eat here as I don’t want my doctor know about this. He really cruel not to let me do anything.” Say Karina happily.

                Those three always take their time to visit Karina and they could see clearly how that girl shows nothing that tells them that she will recover. They try to ask indirect about her treatment but it seem, that girl doesn’t want to try any treatment with excuse it already too late for that.

                One day, Rin and Ryosuke decide to ask Keito after they visit Karina, “You like her, right?”

                Keito knows that topic will come out as those two already know about that, “She already reject me even before I confess. She… already give up on everything.”

************************

                Three of them still at school when they get bad news about their best friend, “Three of you, take your bag and go to the front gate. Someone will take you guys to hospital.”

                It seem Junta already there to fetch them and they rushes to Karina’s room. Just outside the door, they could see Karina’s mom who already crying while hugging Karina’s sister. Rin mumble, “No way! It’s a lie!”

                They get into the room and see Karina on her bed, no movement detect on her. Rin shakes her best friend’s body, “Hey, it’s not funny to make joke! You should open your eyes right now!”

                Ryosuke pulls her away from the bed, “She’s not here anymore!”

                Keito gently touch Karina’s cold face, “You already promise me that you will go to amusement park with me, right? It’s not good to break your promise.”

                “She doesn’t even want to let the doctor to try to treat her. She couldn’t stand the pain anymore.” Say Junta. The atmosphere become really dark around the place as they sad to accept the fact Karina is not around anymore.

**********************

                After the funeral, Karina’s mom, Akira meets them and says, “Thank you so much for being her friends.”

                “We’re not just her friends, she’s our great friend that has to face things her life without help of her mom because she hates her.” Say Rin is cold tone voice.

                Akira says, “The only reason why we keep fighting is… she doesn’t want to listen to me that she will recover from her diseases. She said she doesn’t want to be apart from you guys and decide to leave the house as she thinks it would be better than keep fighting with me. Her only wish is to spend more time with you guys as you’re the only friends that she have in her whole life.”

                “She should be more selfish on herself. She can get better treatment.” Cries Rin.

                Keito says, “She doesn’t want to scarify her time with us because she knows she won’t stand to be alone. She already used to spend time with us and same to us but now…. We have to learn the fact that she’s not around anymore.”

***********************

                “Where is Rin? She’s late.” Ask Ryosuke as he checks time on his wristwatch. He whines, “I’m not kind of people who always has free time.”

                “She’s on the way and be nice to her. She just gets a baby.” Remind Keito.

                Rin appear with a baby in her arms and a guy walk beside her. She greets them, “Sorry for late. I almost forget Karina-chan’s soft toy in the car.”

                “You know she really love that toy but I have to admit I almost leave it at home.” Say the guy who beside Rin.

                “Jeajoong, you already become a father. Don’t just leave things that you think your baby won’t care but she could make you in trouble.” Say Ryosuke.

                “I know but I thought she already like new toys that I bought for her but it seem she still like that old toys.” Say Jeajoong.

                Keito ruffles Rin’s baby girl while saying, “It seem she like the toy that our Karina-chan give to you, Rin-chan.”

                “Yeah, let’s go. We shouldn’t make her waiting too long for us.” Say Rin.

                Four of them walk to a grave that has Karina’s name on it. They place their flower on the grave and pray, like telling their best friend about their life. After that, Rin says, “I really happy when I get this beautiful baby into my life. I hope she will become like you, Karina-chan. I would be happy for that.”

                Even Karina is not around anymore; they couldn’t forget their moments with them and cherish it. They already grow up as adults and promise that they will always meet-up and visit Karina’s grave. Karina baby in Rin’s arms just smile to everyone there and claps her hands to show that she’s happy to see them together.