Triangles.

Oh! It's Sushi

 

 

 

t r i a n g l e s

 

 

 

Their relationships with each other were not something one would consider complicated. Sooyeon was Donghae's girlfriend; Donghae was Sooyeon's boyfriend. Sooyeon was Heechul's best friend and Donghae was Heechul's -simply put- favourite.

Such was the relationship between the trio. Heechul watched over the two lovers and they in turn, made him feel a little more human. Donghae made Sooyeon feel slightly more alive and Heechul made her feel like a baby constantly being cooed at. Donghae was frequently being spoiled by the affectionate Heechul and Sooyeon made his world feel a little more complete.

Just the three of them in the little group.

 

A triangle.

 

The other trainees knew it was going to happen, they spoke of it in murmured whispers; afraid of Heechul and Jessica's wrath (maybe even Donghae's) if they were to, unfortunately, hear what they say. Relationships between men and women never quite stay the same, the quote passes from ear to ear, people nodding furiously and agreeing to the statement. Look at Jungsu and Taeyeon, they would say But the three believed in their special bond; although they wouldn't dare say it out loud. They naively believed everything would stay the same, despite all the hidden warnings everyone gave them. They needed each other.

 

:::

 

One of those days, Sooyeon and Donghae got into a fight. Heechul remembers it well because everything was in a mess. Vases were broken, the mirror was cracked, the chair missing a leg. His hand bleeding. Her heart breaking. Everything was a mess indeed.

When they went their seperate ways, Heechul ran after the ice princess, knowing she would have no one to talk to seeing as most of the friends she had trained with back in the days had already debuted. Besides, Donghae would have Leeteuk and Eunhyuk to run to he tells himself

He looks for her on the roof and he finds her a crumpled mess, crying her eyes out. He sits next to her and waits patiently. He knows they'd get in trouble for skipping practice, but he makes an exception for this one time. No scratch that; he makes an exception for this one person. He waits until she looks up before handing her his handkerchief to wipe all the tears -and mucus- away. Then he gets up and leaves.

“Thank you oppa,” he hears her say.

He hides his smile as he makes his way to the practice room.

 

:::

 

They finally debuted, Donghae and Heechul. Sooyeon couldn't have been prouder of her two boys. She decides to visit them one day, bringing along a cake she baked. She knocks on the door meekly and holds her breath. She is anxious and can't decide how to convey her thoughts and feelings into positive words, something she so rarely does for others. But then again, they are her exception; Heechul and Donghae. She comes face to face to an annoyed Heechul; but his expression soon turns into a shocked one.

 

“Surprise...” she says weakly and smiles.

 

He returns the smile.

:::

“Donghae isn't here you know,” Heechul says carefully.

He knows their relationship have been somewhat on the rocks lately. But he wants to keep believing.

Sooyeon nods her head and smiles at him.

“I just need to spend some time with my best friend” she says.

 

He turns to hide his widening grin.

Her tinkling laughter echoes throughout the apartment.

 

:::

 

The breakup was expected by many, even the trio themselves. Donghae was too busy with work, Sooyeon understood. She knew his heart was drifting away, she saw the guilty love and admiration in his eyes whenever he looked at her dongsaeng. But somehow, she tells herself that she doesn't mind.

 

Because her heart was drifting too.

 

There are more people in their little group now. A Kim Taeyeon, an Im Yoona, a Lee Taemin and those that come and go. As their little triangle increases, so does the distance between the three. Donghae gets into a relationship with Yoona. Sooyeon (-Jessica-, she reminds everyone) begins to date another idol named Jaebeom. Heechul? He sulks away from Sooyeon and Donghae. Because he feels betrayed by them. Because he's lost what he had always treasured.

 

Their little triangle.

 

It takes him a long time to finally open up to them again, and they are thankful he does. They manage to keep in touch with Sooyeon despite all the schedules and such. But Heechul longs for her, to perhaps build the triangle again.

 

He still believes.

 

One of those rare nights they both have day offs, Heechul meets up with Sooyeon and they stroll together in the park. The moon is surprisingly bright and exquisitely full. The night is cold and she watches as her breath floats away. He asks how things have been going since she debuted. She answers it like an interview; she's glad So Nyuh Shi Dae has been receiving much love and support now and that they are gaining recognition. She hopes to attain even more fans and that So Nyuh Shi Dae will be everlasting. This doesn't go unnoticed by him, though he simply smiles and nods his head. They find a bench and sit down. All around them it is still and quiet; he could hear her unnatural breathing. It takes him awhile to realise his own heartbeat increasing rapidly. She turns to find him staring intently at her.

 

The kiss was unexpected. It was sudden and rash, purely out of instinct. But that doesn't mean it wasn't pleasurable. Sooyeon curls her fingers into his hair and he in turn wraps his arm tighter around her waist.

“Someone will see us” she murmurs as they pause to catch their breaths

Heechul gives her the infamous smirk and rolls his eyes.

 

“So let them, Sooyeon

 

She doesn't correct him for saying her name.

 

Because he is her exception.

 

:::

 

Life somehow fits Kim Heechul's wants. Even though it's not exactly as he asks for it.

Sooyeon was Heechul's girlfriend; Heechul was Sooyeon's boyfriend. Sooyeon was Donghae's best friend and Donghae was Heechul's -simply put- favourite.

Their relationships with each other are not something one would consider complicated.

 

Heechul has gotten his little triangle back.

Their  little triangle.