Part 2: Spes

Two Moons ; Phobos & Deimos

Word count: 6 184

Song: Exo-Moonlight

                                                                                                                           Part. 2 SPES

 

 

There are many mysteries that would need to be cleared up in Kyungsoo’s life. One is how far a stranger can push him until he give up. Second is how does he volunteer to be thrown in the space. Third has something to do with a rebellious pimple in quarantine on his forehead. Fourth is related to the nature of dark matter and energy.  Fifth is how he found himself tangled in Kim Jongin’s affairs again. And sixth is what he is going to eat for dinner.

Google is unfortunately only useful for three of his mysteries. Kyungsoo hates odd numbers so when he finds out his brain is only 3/7 less foggy; he can’t help but suspect the universe of secretly making fun of him.

No formal accusation are voiced since he wants odds to be on his side but the faint sparkle of the moon gives away its creator’s true feelings.

Ever since the visit of the high school at the planetarium, Kyungsoo benefits of a small advantage on the businessman, as he likes to think. No words have been exchanged since that day and he interpreted the absence of news from his opposite party to his partial victory.

 His boss, on an other hand, has been very loquacious in the last few days. Unfortunately for him, Kyungsoo is busier planning his last challenge week than answering his messages.

Even if his original plan was to win over Jongin and then Bob the builder, Kyungsoo wonders if he really chose the right strategy. He doubts the CEO’s capacities to argue. Which makes him think he will be the one doing the arguing part with the contractor. It wasn’t a bad idea but it wasn’t a realistic one either. He knew the business man didn’t have any respect for him while he seemed to have some for his boss. Probably because of Kim Jongin’s many charms.

Unknown to Kyungsoo, his boss was very good at getting things done his way and convincing people. He was someone very respected in the industry. The man also owned various entertainment buildings that increased his wealth a lot more than the planetarium.

**

It’s Monday morning when Kyungsoo calls the contractor back for the fourth time since they lasted talked face-to-face. From his office chair and by the open door, he keeps an eye on the employee at the counter while he waits for the bips to come to a stop. It’s not his lucky day since he’s only able to reach the man’s voicemail. He doesn’t forget to leave a passive aggressive message to his absent interlocutor before hanging up, the least pleasant part of his day being over he can start working without too many worries on his mind. He knows the man is probably ignoring his messages on purpose but that absolutely won’t discourage the planetarium’s manager.

As usual he walks in every exposition room to make sure everything is working. There are few staffs at this hour. Beside him and two other workers, the planetarium is empty. They rarely receive a lot of people on Monday. Even tourists mostly visited around the end of the week.

That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have anything to do. Their sound technician was coming in the afternoon to fix the audio of one of their presentation and take a look at their speakers.

Kyungsoo was compiling couples of files to send to the contractor. Some were about the profits of the planetarium, others were articles published in the newspaper. He even attached a list of phenomenon set to be visible this year for his personal enjoying and knowledge. He’s focused on his work when someone enters his office without knocking. He doesn’t look up as the presence bypasses his desk to stand beside him and put a hand on his chair in order to look down at what he’s doing.

‘’Satisfied with what you see?’’ Kyungsoo says on a neutral tone. He’s not genuinely interested in the answer.

‘’You’re working hard.’’ The CEO replies, straightening up.

‘’Of course I am, and for someone who disappeared for two months I find you very concerned all of sudden. Always at the planetarium when you only visited every three weeks before.’’

‘’Maybe that’s because I want to see someone.’’ Kyungsoo looks up at him, a wary look permeate his eyes. ‘’I didn’t say it was you.’’ His boss adds with a pleased smile.

‘’Who do you have to see then?’’

‘’The sound technician.’’

‘’He’s only coming in the afternoon. Not before two he said.’’

‘’Well then, can I help you with anything?’’

‘’Can you write a small history introduction of the planetarium, since you’ve known it for longer than me?’’

‘’Sure, I even have some documents in my office that could be helpful, I’ll bring them to you.’’

Kyungsoo hums in agreement before focusing back on his work.

The male heads to his own office to return with said documents that he hands to Kyungsoo before going back to his workplace and start his task. There aren’t any disturbances of all morning as time goes by unhurriedly. Both men are diligent at their work, putting all their efforts. Kyungsoo does stop at some point to wonder if his boss will be serious about what he asked him. However, the need to send the documents in the afternoon being more urgent, he hurries to finish what he started. Jongin reappears around lunchtime. He neatly puts his work on the manager’s desk and even if his business with Kyungsoo is done, he stands in front of his desk and watch the man as he refines his work.

‘’Do you want to eat out with me? I’m going to that restaurant down the street. It’s not gastronomical but the food is very good and cheap.’’

‘’I’d expect you to eat expensive food.’’

‘’Well you have to stop expecting and start accepting I’m maybe not the image you made yourself of me.’’

 ‘’Okay then, but you’re paying.’’

‘’I was inviting you, of course I’m paying.’’

Kyungsoo waits by the door while his boss is asking an employee to call him if the sound technician arrives while they’re gone. His eyes are fixed on a point in the distance without really seeing it, his attention elsewhere. He’s thinking about why he’s doing this. Why he keeps accepting his boss’s attempts to get closer to him. It’s true that a part of him is doing it to get under his good sides so he can win against the business man but there’s also a part, a shy one, that’s curious about him. About who he really is. And that’s the scary part. He wonders if it only because the man is showing him interest. Not that he’s that easy…

They’re finally ready to leave. The walk will take utmost five minutes but those are enough to make Kyungsoo feel nervous. He doesn’t know what to say, or do. Of course, his usual self wouldn’t do or say anything but would just wait for Jongin to take care of those parts. But the man was already paying for him and even accepted doing the planetarium history introduction. It was a lot in his eyes. Finally a proof that the CEO cared about his building. Kyungsoo was stubborn but whenever someone showed a small sign of care, it was enough to shake him inside. He wasn’t a complete either.

As he predicted, Jongin does the talking. He asks Kyungsoo is he’s ever been to that restaurant to which the man answers that he hasn’t. Purposely omitting the fact that he goes almost every week. He asks about how he likes working for the planetarium. What kind of job he had as a teenager. He also asks when the next eclipse is and Kyungsoo isn’t sure he likes what it implies. In the end, he didn’t have to make any effort to keep the conversation going, besides for not answering with yes or no. But Jongin is good at asking open questions. It’s like he studied psychology or something before. Or maybe he just knows Kyungsoo will keep his answers as basic as he can.

When they enter the restaurant, Kyungsoo fakes not knowing what’s already on the menu so when Jongin asks him what he wants he can answer that he doesn’t know yet.

‘’Do you recommend me anything?’’

‘’Their paninis are amazing.’’

‘’Should I take one then?’’

The CEO turns to him, grinning and his eyes looking like two croissants.

‘’You should.’’ He answers Kyungsoo as he just made a joke of some sort.  

‘’I will then, you’re paying anyway so if it’s not good, it’s not my loss.’’

‘’I like your logic.’’

Kyungsoo hums, a shy smile on the edge of his lips.

After Jongin takes their tray with their orders, they sit down in the corner next to the window. Kyungsoo would have liked eating in the park since it’s shiny and not too hot outside but he doesn’t voice out his desire so they eat inside instead.

‘’So, are you slowly making up your mind?’’

‘’Slowly, yes.’’

The chances of the contractor winning weren’t very high now. His boss has a soft heart, money isn’t enough to win over him. Just the thought of it is enough to make Kyungsoo smile. Finally, something he was successful at. His strange grin catches Jongin’s attention.

‘’Are you that happy?’’

‘’Well if I am to win, yes. And you should too, it’s a proof you’re not a so bad person.’’

‘’I treated you lunch. I am a good person.’’

‘’No, that makes you desperate.’’

‘’Aren’t you the desperate one, though? You accepted hanging out. I’m not dumb, Kyungsoo. I know you’d never go out like this with me if it wasn’t of the planetarium.’’

Kyungsoo wants to feel guilty but he doesn’t see what he did wrong. He’s always been bad with people’s feelings. Those were a complete mystery to him. The most ironical part was that he hated when people overlooked his feelings but, himself isn’t good at acknowledging other’s.

‘’Is that bad? To care about something I cherish and to fight for it?’’

‘’No, but usually people do that for a person, not an object or building, in your case.’’

‘’I don’t like people.’’

‘’Not everyone is bad, you know.’’

‘’Are you including yourself in that category?’’

‘’No.’’ Jongin holds his gaze for a short moment before looking away. Kyungsoo feels his foot brush against his under the table. It’s a weird situation to be in. He wants to believe it was an accident and look upon it but the timing is off. Everything is off about his boss all of sudden. The lack of conversation shouldn’t be annoying him but it is. His lack of initiative is annoying him. His lack of eye contact with the man is annoying him. He just wants to go back to work and be alone. That’s why he didn’t like people, he couldn’t understand them. Unlike some, he couldn’t read between the lines very well. He was good at reading the lines, the map, the information, but he was terrible at guessing them. That was something he absolutely hated. Guessing. Why were people having so much fun at guessing others? He wasn’t a puzzle asking to be solved or something. Everything he has to say, he says it. There was no use in trying to find the hiding meaning behind his words, there weren’t any. Jongin foot brushes against his again. He’s uneasy now. What is the man doing? Kyungsoo thought he’s been clear with his words’ choice but it looks like it wasn’t for his boss. What IQ did the man have, dammit? Why couldn’t he understand a simple ‘No’? Wasn’t it a basic word even child understood?

He doesn’t hate being touched, but he does hate when there’s a hidden message behind the touches. If even him, as clueless as he was, could understand the CEO was trying something on him, it was that he wasn’t very secretive about it. Oh god. How does he deal with that now?

What is he? A teenager? Why couldn’t he stay professional?

And why did Kyungsoo have to think so much.

The frown on his face is probably as big as Jupiter for the man to ask about it.

‘’I’m sorry for that, it wasn’t on purpose if that’s what is upsetting you.’’

Not on purpose! Sure. Why was he upset about that now? Did he wish it had been on purpose?

He often got lost in his own mind. So many ways, so many thoughts, so many galaxies he forgot about, he doesn’t remember the way to Milky Way anymore. He takes multiple bites in his Panini to calm himself. It’s effective because his mind automatically wanders to how great it tastes. He usually doesn’t eat those when he comes here. The change of facial expression seems to please the CEO who continues eating his own food with a small smile on his lips, and crumbs. Kyungsoo noticed. He couldn’t help seeing them since the man was the only view he had access to. Not to mention the window and the people outside.

‘’When’s your birthday?’’ The man suddenly asks out of the blue.  

‘’January 12th.’’

‘’So you’re a Capricorn too. That’s interesting.’’

‘’What is?’’ He asks, taking another bite, his eyes locked on his boss in a curious manner. Jongin thinks he looks cute at the moment but keeps his observation to himself.

‘’I don’t know, you tell me, how are Capricorns?’’

‘’I didn’t study astrology, I studied astronomy. And I’m sure the internet has your answer.’’

 ‘’But that’s no fun. Okay, let’s do this. What do you think are our character traits?’’

‘’I don’t know. We’re too different for me to make a guess. I can only inform you about the constellation and a bit about its Greek mythology origins.’’

‘’Do that then. I’m sure it’s even more interesting than astrology.’’

‘’In my opinion, yes. But that’s not what most people think. What do you want to know anyway?’’

‘’Everything.’’

‘’Give me a starting point.’’

‘’Okay, then what about its name? Why is it called Capricorn?’’

‘’Well in Greek mythology a Capricorn is a sea-goat, as you probably know it. The 49 Bayer stars which consist the constellation form: the sea goat, or to make it simpler for you and your eyes, it looks like a fish tail or a boomerang. The constellation is related to the sea since it’s included in the sky section attribute to the water signs. You’re following me so far?’’ Jongin nods, his eyes fixed on the man since he started talking, not even leaving his face once to look outside. ‘’Okay, well, there are galaxies that can be found in it, like NGC 6907.’’

‘’Poetic name.’’

‘’Shut up.’’ Kyungsoo replies playfully. He also wished galaxies had more beautiful names, because those numbers and letters didn’t advantage their beauty at all. ‘’Neptune is also part of it. And just like the planet, the constellation is also visible with eye but the best place to see it is in Europe. It’s possible to watch it from here, though.’’

‘’We should watch it together, one day.’’

Kyungsoo is taken-aback by the proposition. Although, there’s no obligation to accept, he can’t help thinking it could be nice.

‘’I’ll think about it.’’

‘’You know, I think Capricorns are stubborn.’’

‘’Don’t mistake cautiousness for stubbornness. ’’

At the end of the day, the speakers are fixed, Kyungsoo’s documents are sent and Jongin is more informed on his own sign. They can say it’s been a productive day. Each go home with the feeling of having been useful.

**

The meteorite who hits Kyungsoo two days later isn’t called Kim Jongin as he expected. His attention had been so focused on the mysterious nature of his boss that he completely forgot about the asteroid in orbit around him that was meant to collide a day or another with him.

 It crashes on Kyungsoo under the form of a phone call. The arrogance and happiness in the voice announcing him the city told the contractor he could go on with his project makes him sick. He hangs up before the man can go on with the details.

Saying he’s on edge isn’t quite right. He knows it’s not over yet. He still can convince the man to give up on his project but this loss is so much more meaningful than his previous victories.

What he should do now is still ambiguous in his head. He doesn’t have a precise plan. The news is still too fresh in his mind. He can’t help replaying the man’s words over and over again in his head. Each time the starting point comes back, the more annoyed and agitated he is. 

He almost jumps off his seat when he sees the CEO’s car entering the parking. He stomps out of out the planetarium to confront the man just as he gets off his car. He doesn’t care if he’s rude or too straightforward. 

‘’Did you know about this?’’

‘’I’m guessing this is about the city’s approval?’’

‘’You guessed right, Sherlock.’’

‘’Can you please calm down, we’ll talk about this in private, okay?’’

Kyungsoo suddenly looks down at his arm where the man’s hand is burning his skin. He wonders for a second why Jongin has the sun in is hand but the thought of wanting the touch to go away is stronger. He shrugs off the man’s hand in a second, not able to handle the burn anymore.

‘’No, you tell me right now and here. Did you know about this?’’ He slowly repeats as his boss is still an elementary student learning to read.

The man sighs, looking directly into Kyungsoo’s eyes.

‘’Yes, I got a notice from the city hall two days ago.’’

‘’Did you know about it when we were at the restaurant?’’

‘’…Yes.’’

‘’You’re an .’’

‘’I am. I know I am, but it’s not too late. Don’t act like I sold away the planetarium, I didn’t yet. I can still negotiate with Mr. Kim.’’

‘’Then do your thing and prove me you’re still worth something.’’

This last sentence seems to trigger the man because he suddenly frowns and his eyes aren’t sorry anymore.

‘’I’m still your boss.’’

‘’So what? You’re going to fire me? I’ll be thrown out in three days anyway.’’

‘’You gave up.’’

‘’ Only on you.’’ Kyungsoo replies dryly before repeating his sentence in a nicer tone, one that trails at the end and doesn’t sound aggressive. ‘’Only on you…’’

**

For the rest of the day, Kyungsoo avoids any contact with the man. He does notice him looking stressed out and his phone ringing all day long but he’s too busy dealing with his own problems to care. At this point, the manager doesn’t see the need of being gentle with his overworked boss. He lost that ally but he can recover. He’s not done.

As a small group of tourists tour around the planetarium, Kyungsoo goes through the contractor’s web site. He hopes to find something suspicious. Anything that could help him. He can accept losing his job but not the place. There’s a part of his soul in the planetarium that will die with it if it gets teared down. How could he accept to let himself die like that? He isn’t one of Henri Laborit’s mice that give up when it faces no exit and simply accepts the pain. He can escape. If there’s no exit, he will make his own.

Another solution sounded more appealing, though. Dragging the business man in his cage looked way more fun. Too bad he had to trap Jongin in it before realizing who his real opponent was. Fighting hurts, but sometimes it was a necessary evil. It was always better to fight against someone then to fight alone and against himself.

Playing the nice card wasn’t his intention to begin with but now it looked like a need. Bob answers his call a bit too eagerly for his liking. Kyungsoo manage to stay calm and collected through the whole exchange, a great feat considering he’s feeling all but calm and collected at the moment.

He even apologizes to the man for hanging up on him and asks if he could if he has time, considering his crazy schedule, come by the planetarium in the afternoon so they can have a civilized conversation.

His act makes him mentally laugh as he hums to whatever Bob is telling him. In the end, they settle for having a drink together after work. It’s not something Kyungsoo would have ever accepted under normal circumstances but someone had to do something. He didn’t care about his own likes and dislikes anymore. All he wants is to keep alive his only connection with the stars.

Caring was overrated anyway.

 **

He is doing his checking round before closing the planetarium when he hears sound coming from one the projection room. He’s about to curse whoever forgot to close the projection when he notices a lonely figure standing in the middle of the planets twirling around.

Why is he there?

His hatred hype suddenly vanishes, as a whole new emotion washes over him.

He’s scared the man will hear his footsteps as he draws closer, but the narration explaining each planet and their characteristics covers the surrounding noise.  Not to startle his boss, Kyungsoo shyly reaches out to touch his shoulder. The lack of response puzzles him for a bit before he tries again. This time Jongin blinks and shows he hasn’t lost the ability to talk.

‘’Can I do something for you?’’ The CEO asks weakly, as the whole universe shattered on him.

‘’I was going to ask you that.’’

Jongin slightly turns to look at the manager. He doesn’t wear his usual professional mask and that alarms Kyungsoo. Last time he saw that face, it lead to a mess. His body acts on instinct when his hand settles itself in the man’s back. The contact seems to bring a glimpse of life on Jongin’s face but not as much as Kyungsoo expected.

 ‘’Is it closing time? I’m sorry, I shouldn’t be here, right? You can go, I’ll close the planetarium tonight.’’

It’s true that Kyungsoo at reading people, but Jongin isn’t even hiding is emotion. Everything is brutally thrown to display in his eyes. And it hurts.

Why does it hurt him?

‘’What’s wrong?’’ His hand involuntary goes up and down the man’s back awkwardly. He hopes it brings a bit of comfort to his superior but he seems so lost in his mind, Kyungsoo isn’t sure he even feels his hand anymore.

‘’Too many things. I’m just so exhausted. I’ll be fine tomorrow. I always am. It’s fine.’’

‘’You aren’t fine, even I can see it.’’

 Jongin giggles.

‘’I must be pretty obvious, then.’’

‘’Very. Now, how can I help you?’’

‘’Unless you can personally contact Mr. Kim’s superior, the construction company he hired and the city hall, I don’t see what you can do for me.’’

‘’Are you…losing money?’’ His hand suddenly drops from his superior’s back. The contact loss seems to disturb the man for a moment. As someone who lost something they didn’t know they had.

‘’This isn’t about the money Kyungsoo, this is about you.’’

‘’About me?’’

‘’Remember when I told you some people fight for things, like you, and others for people?’’

‘’Yeah’’

‘’Are you still fighting for the planetarium?’’

‘’Of course.’’

‘’Well, I’m fighting for you.’’

 He suddenly feels like a jerk. All this time, Jongin always opened himself to him, he trusted him and all Kyungsoo found to thank him was being a complete to the man. Everybody was so good at making him feel guilty.

‘’But that’s not what I want. I want you to fight for the planetarium.’’

The CEO shakes his head as he’s trying to erase what Kyungsoo just said from his brain.

‘’You missed the whole point. I’m fighting for the planetarium for you. Because I hate knowing you despite me so much. Because I want you to see me as a good person. Because I want a chance.’’

‘’Can’t you like the planetarium as you like me?’’

‘’I do, a bit more, thanks to you. But there’s no time and no ing results.’’

 Jongin suddenly leans his forehead on Neptune as the recorded audio goes on about its features, orbit, satellites, inclination, etc. Before Kyungsoo can answer anything, fingers brush against his wrist softly. Jongin’s eyes are closed but he knows exactly where the manager is standing. He pulls him forward so Kyungsoo stands in the same position as him. They do look weird, their foreheads stuck to the wall as the planets takes turn on their back but what bothers Kyungsoo more than what he looks like at the moment is the sun who moved from the surface of his skin to under his skin. It’s not only burning in his wrist but in his whole body. The sensation is already very disturbing and but being oblivious to the cause is even more frustrating.

In his dictionary, the sun equals dying. He couldn’t get to close to it without being consumed and end up in ashes, but at a good distance it could also be beneficial. The mystery was why he felt like he had thrown himself directly into the star as every tip and ends of him were tickling at the sudden burn but also enjoying it. Dying wasn’t supposed to be enjoyable. Then why was he craving the burn?

Turning his head ever so slightly, Kyungsoo gets a glimpse of his boss in his most fragile and vulnerable state. With his eyes closed he looks like he owns every planet and cherishes the unicity of each. Kyungsoo secretly loves the sparkles of color of Uranus on Jongin’s face.

He never fell in love in his life but at this moment he can understand why people would want to wake up every morning to such a sight. It’s not as beautiful as an eclipse or a supernova but Jongin’s face somehow found a spot in his personal beauty chart.

His excuse as he extends a tentative finger to the man’s cheek is that for once he can touch the beauty he’s used watching from afar. He doesn’t even budge when Jongin’s eyes shoot open, deep with questions.

‘’Which one is it?’’ Jongin’s voice found its usual softness, and the tone that normally doesn’t affect Kyungsoo suddenly makes him wonder if the man always spoke like that.

‘’Which one is what?’’

‘’The planet on my face.  The one you’re touching.’’

‘’Jupiter.’’

The look is back. The one that says I want you. It’s back in Jongin’s eyes. This time it doesn’t make Kyungsoo regret being alive, or want to run away. It makes him want to own that look. Make it his. He doesn’t want Jongin to look at anybody else like that but him.

He might have to change his wedding plans.

Jongin reaches for Kyungsoo’s hand to intertwine their fingers as the projection replays.

He hates how he can’t hear Jongin’s voice clearly because of the audio. His mind then curses the sound technician who fixed the speakers, and for the first time in his life, he wants the planets to stop revolving around him. He allows the taller man to lean his cheek against his temple before he snaps back to reality.

‘’I’m meeting Mr. Kim tonight.’’

‘’What?’’ The CEO looks genuinely confused into his eyes, searching for the meaning behind his words. There is none. Is what he wants to say but his tongue refuse to collaborate with his brain once again.

‘’We’re drinking together. To talk about business.’’

Jongin stays silent. The manager isn’t sure if he just ed up, but the sweet gaze he wanted to own is replaced with one he never saw before and doesn’t want to be his either.

‘’Why didn’t you just trust me?’’

 ‘’I’m just helping you.’’

‘’Why don’t you ever give me a chance?’’

There they are, the blurry feelings Kyungsoo doesn’t know how to interpret. The ones he needs an instruction manual to understand something.  

It’s funny how for a second, Jongin orbited around him so closely he thought he would collide with him but now they were parting, as it’s always been their destiny.

‘’I have no idea what you are imagining right now and how you interpret my actions but this business meeting has nothing to do with my personal feelings or whatsoever. I’m going there because the planetarium deserves better. And you need to accept we’re working together and that I provided you more hints I ever did in my whole life about the chance you keep talking about and want.’’

‘’You like me?’’

‘’No, I’m giving you a chance.’’

Jongin breaks into a smile. Almost a childish one and he looks adorable, so much younger. Kyungsoo finds himself thinking about how such a young man made his fortune so early.

He must be ambitious. He thinks. Or just lucky.  

That’s why Jongin gets along well in life. He is what people expect him to be.

Meant for success.

Who couldn’t put its trust in someone like that?

The truth is the person Kyungsoo doesn’t trust isn’t Jongin. But himself.

**

Everything feels wrong, from his presence in the bar to the look he thinks people are giving him. He doesn’t struggle to find the man he’s looking for as it’s the man himself who comes to him. Kyungsoo can tell he already has at least a glass or two in his system. It’s definitely far from the good start he hoped for but better than nothing. After his conversation with Jongin, he can’t control his thoughts anymore. They’re all over the place. He hates how so many are devote to the blue splinter of Uranus on a particular pretty face, or to the way his own skin turned into Venus’s surface under a simple touch. He already could consider himself lucky about the fact his volcanos didn’t come in eruption. Or else, he would have a pretty good reason not to see the man ever again.

 The way Mr. Kim’s face is slightly tinted in a reddish-pink shade doesn’t reassure him a lot. What good could he achieve from someone tipsy? Surely nothing constructive, he learnt from his mistakes.

Suddenly, he just wants to go back home and dream. He already spent too much time in society for the day. The simplest things annoy him. The business man burping, his silly smile, the people ordering a drink, the music, his own presence. Everything. His idea that sounded so well-thought and smart a couple of hours ago now look how it should have in the first place. Incredibly stupid. 

He tries to get something out of the now more than tipsy man but all he gets are uncalled for giggles and a complete silence about the construction plans. How to extract information but mostly, how to make him change his mind when the contractor didn’t even have one at the moment?

After finally taking one big sip of his drink for the first time since he stepped in the bar, Kyungsoo realizes he should change his speech. He won’t achieve anything by claiming how important the planetarium is to him. The man only had ears for what interested him and that meant only for money. Kyungsoo might not have said interest, but he could always fake having some.

He’s about to go on with his new idea but the reality being what it is, he was in the presence of a relatively good-looking man, depending on one’s standards, but also young. The chances of attracting his attention while he was eye-ing whoever showed slight signs of interest in him were practically nonexistent.  He had to be more than interesting. He needed to be mesmerizing. Money needed to physically fall out of mouth to compete against the suggestive side looks and attractive bodies slowly drawing closer to their table.

Taking the opportunity of the business man smiling at whoever caught his eyes, Kyungsoo moves his drink away from him. The sober the man was; the better. Considering Bob has the attention span of a goldfish drunk or not.

‘’Mr. Kim, I wanted to talk about something.’’ Seeing how his voice doesn’t even reach the man’s ear, he goes in for the final solution. ‘’Money.’’

Kyungsoo is scared the man broke his neck by how fast his head turns to him when the simple word escape his mouth.

‘’Yes?’’

‘’You told me every man has its price, right? Well I’d like to know yours.’’

‘’Mine?’’ Mr. Kim half scoffs, half laughs. ‘’Mine is one you can’t afford.’’

‘’How much?’’

‘’Millions. If not more.’’

‘’I can afford that.’’

‘’Oh can you now? Did your sweet boss accept giving me money to save your cause? Because last time I checked, he didn’t sound too opposed to the offer I made him. He’d be a bit crazy to refuse, anyway’’

‘’How much?’’ Anger makes him contract his jaw in a vulgar motion. ‘’ How much did you offer him?’’ He’s trying hard to control himself, but all he wants is to throw the man in Olympus Mons and maybe also Jongin. He can handle doubting the veracity of the information for now. He’ll talk with the man to know the truth later.

‘’Enough so he doesn’t have to worry about his future for a while.’’

‘’He won’t accept.’’

‘’Is that why you’re here? To tell me that?’’ The man suddenly sounds way too sober and it makes him anxious. He doesn’t want of a drunk auditor or an angry one either.

‘’I’m here to tell you that you will get more money that you need for the rest of your live so leave us alone.’’

‘’You see, I slightly doubt that’s what your boss told you to tell me.’’

‘’You’re right, he didn’t tell me anything beside that the planetarium is there to stay so excuse my presence but I’m leaving now because I don’t have anything to tell you anymore and you can go whoever you’ve been eyeing since you got here. I’ll hear about you in two days and hopefully never again either, if you know better than to try to buy people.’’

Just as he’s used to do on the phone, Kyungsoo leaves before the man can respond.

The second he sets a foot outside, he lets out a long frustrated sight he’s been holding even since the contractor’s revelation.

Jongin doesn’t have a price.

He could trust him.

**

Just after he brushed his teeth, closed all the lights and pulled the cover over his body Kyungsoo gets a call. His first guess is that Bob forgot to swear at him or something, however when he sees the caller’s ID his heart skips a beat. It’s certainly not a very medical way to describe his state, but he guesses that’s the closest to the effect he gets. A sudden rush of adrenaline might be another explanation, more proper.

CEO Kim

He should change that one day.

He finger momentarily hovers over the green button before hurriedly pressing it.

‘’Yes?’’

It’s past midnight and he’s working later in the morning, but he unexpectedly doesn’t care and can’t feel a single sign of exhaustion in his body anymore.

‘’I’m so sorry to call you so late, but I have news. I couldn’t wait until tomorrow.’’

‘’What is it?’’

‘’I got in touch with the construction team Mr. Kim engaged. They said they’re ready to hear our offer.  I can always hire them to get some work done on the planetarium too.’’

‘’You what? When?’’ He brings a hand up to his forehead to massage it for a bit, before letting his hand fall at the limit between his hairline and the skin of his forehead.

‘’After you left they called me back but you were with Mr. Kim so I didn’t call you then. How did it go, by the way?’’

‘’Oh, not that well, but it’s fine since you found a solution.’’

‘’He didn’t….do anything to you, right?’’

‘’No! No, he didn’t.’’

‘’Good. Well, I guess we can talk about the details tomorrow.’’

‘’You’ll come by the planetarium? Again?’’

‘’Of course, I have things to do.’’

‘’Don’t you have other buildings to manage?’’

‘’Yeah but it’s fine, I don’t have that much things to deal with since they’re profitable.’’

‘’Unlike the planetarium…’’

‘’That’s not what I meant.’’

‘’But it is what it is.’’

‘’…Yeah. But we’re getting somewhere.’’

‘’Yeah, we are. Thank you, Jongin. For calling me and for sticking up by my side.’’

‘’No need to thank me.’’ Kyungsoo knows he’s smiling at the other end. He used his first name on purpose, he’s more than aware of the effect it has on the man. ‘’See you tomorrow then.’’

‘’Yes, see you tomorrow. Goodnight.’’

‘’Goodnight Kyungsoo.’’

He doesn’t regret hoping this time.

** 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 2 :DDDDDD

I want to specially thank the people who subscribed to this story, it really, really, really means a lot <3

Thank you for reading and hopefully this chapter didn't disappoint you!

Let me know what you think of the story so far by commenting!!!

If you could upvote it would mean a lot too :)

Love you! Next chapter should be posted around mid-November.

-Lyli