Noelle

Jonghyun's Base

“Everything Ok?” JongHyun asked me with a voice full of concern, the sound of it pulling me from the stupor I had fallen into as we waited for our plane to embark. The light shocks of the aircraft’s wheels running down the tarmac make us both bounce slightly in our seats and some of the other passengers are looking concerned. Giving him a nod, I take Jjong’s hand in mine, not worried by the jolting but feeling slightly uneasy all the same.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I was just thinking about Roo and Louie. Katy’s an animal lover but she's a bit absentminded. I hope she doesn’t forget to feed them on time.”

“Don't worry. We can text her once a day for a reminder. Just relax; it's our holiday remember?” He says with a bright smile, the ease of it comforting me when I didn’t even know I needed it.

“I remember,” I reply and manage a genuine smile as I lean against him. The plane finally takes off and I watch the scene from the window as we leave the ground behind quickly; all too soon New York disappears behind us. I wish I could drop my current feelings as easily as we’d left solid ground, because I was worried about more than just leaving our pets with Katy, who in all honestly did have a worrying amount of trouble keeping her fish alive. No, it had more to do with our journey in Korea and what we’d be to each other once this trip was over. JongHyun had told me about his plans for me to meet his friends and his mother but I was shaking inside. It was one thing to meet friends, a separate issue to meet a significant other’s parents.

I had already told JongHyun about my past with David and he had been supportive, saying that he wouldn't allow the same thing to happen to me twice. But it was more than just that. Before with David we had been engaged and I had at least thought that I understood who and what we were to each other. But JongHyun and I didn't talk about our feelings beyond the fact that we didn't want to be apart from each other, that we meant a lot to each other. It was going to be a thirteen-hour flight and I had nothing but time to ponder our situation, to worry over the smallest details until I could think of little else. Maybe I was being insecure but I wasn't sure if he loved me; it could’ve been common for him to introduce his girlfriends. But how could you ask someone if they loved you without seeming entirely desperate?

 

 

‘The Daegu house’, as JongHyun had been calling the home of his friend, is less of a house and more of a sprawling property just outside of the main city. Surrounded on one side completely by forested hills and on the other by houses lining the street, the all-white new construct stands out from in neighbors, its walls glowing softly in the fading light of day. After we pull up to the house and park alongside the curb, I take some time to gaze around the neighborhood.

“This place looks like nothing else on the street.” I mention to Jjong as we pull numerous presents from out of the backseat.

“KiBum got it in his head to be a designer. He ran the architect ragged when he had this place built.”

“No wonder. Every other place looks like it's been here for thirty years at least.”

“Aliah tries her best to tone him down but I can already imagine the decorations,” JongHyun chuckles as he lifted a huge white stuffed animal out of the car last.

“That teddy is almost as big as you are,” I easily. “I’m not even sure an infant could play with it.” Skepticism colors my words as he hoists the thing into his arms.

“It's alright, he or she can grow into it,” he replies slightly out of breath.

“Not sure toys work the same as clothes,” I say with a laugh. I watched as he huffed and puffed his way to the front door and pressed the bell quickly, his hands in danger of dropping the bear altogether. My stomach curled as we waited for the door to open, nerves settling in at the last possible moment. I took a deep inhale and as I released it, the entrance opened.

“Yeobo, come quick, there's a bear at the door!” A loud voice yelled as the home’s doorway opened wide. Smacking the person in front on him with one of the bear’s appendages, JongHyun tries to force his way in but the man standing there blocks his path.

“Very funny. Are you going to keep us on the steps or let us inside? This bear is heavy.” JongHyun grumbled as he tried again to push past the man in the doorway.

“Ah, right! Come in!” Kibum opened the door wide and Jjong hurriedly rested the bear on the floor of the entranceway with a sigh of relief.

Sweeping his arm out in invitation, the man I presume to be KiBum Kim steps aside with a smile at me. We file into the large foyer, the wide-open area boasting a large but modern glass chandelier that gives warmth to the space. As soon as we drop our load, with a loud whoop, KiBum hugged JongHyun tightly, lifting him in the air just enough that his feet left the floor. While the two men laugh and punch each other good-naturedly, I take the time to get a good look at the guy who JongHyun thought of as one of his brothers.

KiBum is slim man who looks our age and is only a few inches taller than JongHyun. His hair is dyed a dark blue that’s closer to black and long enough to form bangs that are parted straight down the middle. The two sides framed his face well and only managed to heighten the look of childish delight in his expression, his cheekbones practically reaching his eyes in merriment. He’s wearing an oversized red sweater with a green reindeer on the front of it and white skinny jeans. While it should look ridiculous, somehow he manages to pull it off.

“Hyung, oremanida! I would ask how you've been but I think I can tell,” he says with a wink in my direction.

With an amused chuckle and a roll of his eyes, JongHyun introduced me to KiBum but when I would've stopped our greeting at a polite bow, he told me to call him Key and took my hands in his own.

“Thank you for coming; this is a special day for us and I'm glad you could be here with hyung,” he said warmly, his tone full sincerity. I had met very few people as open as Key was and his friendly nature was one I wasn’t wholly used to.

Before we could get any further though, a high-pitched squeak came from the living room.

“What's that?” I asked but I found I was talking to myself. The two males had run into the other room and I followed closely behind. What I saw there took my breath away. The whole room, once a spacious cream-colored area decorated with light blue and silver sofas with accessories to match, now looked like Christmas had thrown up all over it.

Red and green streamers, balloons, and twinkle lights were everywhere and a huge pine tree stood in the corner of the room, taking up all the space by the fireplace. The tree itself was tastefully decorated in silver and white ornaments but it seemed as though the rest of the room hasn't fared as well. Small reindeer littered the area, colored bulb lights flashed from their hanging positions on the walls, and fat Santas of every kind were haphazardly scattered around as if they were Easter eggs and we had to find them.

And apparently, the decorations had taken yet another victim. A tall black girl was standing in the middle of the room covered in tinsel and popped balloon scraps, large pieces of glitter caught in her long hair. Cookies of all kinds littered the floor and she stood with a slightly bemused expression on her face as KiBum examined her for injuries.

“Yah! What did I tell you about hanging the decorations by yourself, Jagiya? It's dangerous.” The boisterous man from earlier had been tempered to simply noisy, his whole manner changed as he brushed residue from the girl’s body. The woman, who must be Aliah since I couldn’t imagine Key being so tender with anyone other than his wife, spoke much more quietly and with a syrupy voice, her easy smile lighting up her face from the inside.

“I'm fine, sweetie. The balloon popped in my face, hence the glitter. I jumped and dropped the cookies, but we're both fine.” She said with a protective pat to her stomach and an adoring gaze to her husband. I hadn’t noticed it from behind, but from the front I could see that Aliah was showing and looked to be in her fourth or fifth month of pregnancy.

“Aliah-yah, you have to be more careful or you'll give us all a heart attack,” JongHyun laughed and as if she had only just noticed the two of us, Aliah's eyes finally left KiBum's and landed on JongHyun.

“Jjongie! I missed you,” she said engulfing him in a hug. JongHyun embraced her back just as warmly and placed a hand on her stomach when they pulled apart.

“How did my pabo dongsaeng get so lucky huh?” He asked her as she giggled.

“Don't anymore. The other guys have been ruthless ever since we told everyone about the baby. Now introduce us, ”Aliah said while she pushed away from JongHyun and came over to me, not bothering to wait. I couldn't help but feel amused as the she worked the two guys so easily.

“My name is Aliah, I'm Key's wife.” The girl stuck out her hand for me to shake and I took it lightly in my own.

Surprise had hit me earlier when I'd first realized who she was but with just a smile she had put me at ease. Aliah was only taller than me by maybe an inch but she seemed to be a huge presence in the room despite her quiet tone. With long natural hair that was flowing well past her shoulders, honey-colored skin and smiling almond eyes that were partially hidden behind the prettiest pair of glasses I’d ever seen, Aliah Kim was beautiful. She was dressed casually in a ‘Nightmare before Christmas’ sweatshirt with black leggings and I admired her charm bracelet, the only piece of jewelry she wore other than her diamond stud earrings.

“My name is Noelle. You guys have a beautiful home,” I told her as she shook my hand, her grasp firm but still warm. Aliah laughed and looked around at the mess on the floor, shaking her head as the boys tried in vain to get all the bits and pieces of cookie out of the carpet.

“Well the cookies are done for. Noelle, do you want to help me make some more?”

“Sure,” I replied and followed her as we made our way back to the kitchen.

The kitchen in question looked like it had come straight out of a chef’s wet dream, with two ovens, massive stainless-steel appliances and tons of work space between the counter tops and large island. Aliah gestured for me to take a seat in one of the chairs that lined the island and I watched as she pulled out homemade cookie dough from the fridge.

She passed me a metal pan and together we pressed the dough into shapes, the cookie cutters all depicting cute shapes of trees and gingerbread men.

“JongHyun told me you were American, but he didn't tell me you were black too.” I mentioned to break our companionable silence, curious about her thoughts.

“He wouldn't!” Aliah laughed out loud, shaking her head while putting our first batch into the oven. “Jjong doesn't really take those types of things into account, he never has. Sugar cookie or chocolate chip?”

“Chocolate chip please,” I responded and she piled three already baked cookies onto a plate for me in a flash.

“You're terribly efficient,” I told her while I took a bite of the sweet and almost moaned at how good it tasted. Aliah fluttered lightly around the kitchen despite her protuberance, checking on several pots at once and producing amazing smells that filled the place.

“You'll see, I've got to do this before the other boys show up. Jjongie and Bummie can play by themselves quietly but once you bring the others around it'll be chaos.”

“Alright,” I said putting down my last cookie. “What can I help you with?”

Giving me a big smile as she pushed a lock of hair from her face, Aliah proceeded to order me about like a drill sergeant.

 

Aliah was all light and happiness but still a somewhat subdued soul. She emanated peace and it was so easy for me to like her that I could easily see why the effervescent Key had been drawn to her. And it seemed that even though they had been married for almost three years, his feelings hadn't changed one iota.

Key’s eyes followed Aliah wherever she went and what was even sweeter was that Aliah seemed unaware of the attention she was receiving. When Aliah looked at Key there was such affection and warmth in their gazes that it almost seemed like I was invading in on a private moment between the two of them. JongHyun and I shared our own looks about the obviously happy couple and we didn't comment when they would disappear together for short five-minute intervals, leaving us to ourselves. They would reappear looking flushed and happy and I’d bet anything that they were off sneaking kisses like teenagers in hidden corners of the house.

 

Aliah and I spent most of our time in the kitchen while the guys hung even more decorations in the living room. My stomach was rumbling pleasantly and I looked around longingly at all the food lining the counters.

“You're cooking a lot; it's just the seven of us, right?” I asked in a slightly worried tone, feeling a tingle of butterflies go through me at the thought of more people showing up.

“You haven't seen these guys eat, Noelle. I'm kind of afraid we won't have enough.”

“That's a whole bucket of fried chicken on that plate over there,” I said pointing to the table that was laden with food and snacks of all kinds.

“Yes, I know. And I’ve got jokbal as well as three different types of chiggae. We’ll see how long it lasts,” she said with giggle.

Shaking my head at the amount of food the boys must consume, Aliah and I finished up the food and helped KiBum with the last of the decorations. After several trial and errors, the fireplace had been lit, the tree was twinkling, and the doorbell was ringing, announcing the rest of the guests.

Key sprang up to open and door and in a flurry of yells, teasing and hugs, the guys greeted each other. Aliah was hugged by all the boys, one of them managing to sneak a kiss on her cheek before Key shooed them away.

“Hello,” the guys said in unison, their tones bright and eyes filled with more than a little mischief. They bowed to me in turn as I was introduced to them one by one.

JinKi came first with a loose grip to his handshake. His smile made him look goofy but adorable, his light brown hair cut short and wire rimmed glasses adorning his face. The lenses were empty but the frames gave him an air of seniority that I instantly liked.

Next came MinHo who gave my hand a small kiss as he took it. He sent me a killer smile that I'm sure had made more than one girl fall in love him. MinHo was the tallest of the bunch and with his black hair and brown eyes, any girl would've been caught up. However, I'd always been partial to silver myself.

Finally came TaeMin; he was the youngest and definitely looked it. I could hardly imagine that he was twenty-six, just two years my junior with such a baby face. But he radiated calm and was a little shy in his greeting, addressing me as noona even after I’d said it be fine to use my given name. TaeMin had a dancers’ body that was made up of lean lines and corded muscle that was only just visible in the long-sleeved sweater he wore. He looked like a heartbreaker and I wondered how many had fallen for his sweet charms.

I had expected to feel uncomfortable meeting so many new people but I had no time to really experience it. Before I knew it, I was being hustled along with everyone else into the living room for Aliah and Key’s reveal.

Aliah brought out a platter filled with cupcakes and Key passes one to everyone, warning MinHo that he better not to take a bite when the taller boy looks at it hungrily.

“So, you guys know we've only told our parents so far about the baby, but we wanted to let you guys in on it too. You guys will all have a special place in our child’s future, and we’re so happy to share this moment with you.”

“That was beautiful Bummie,” Aliah sniffled while fat tears streamed down her cheeks. She was trying her best to brush them away as fast as they fell, but wasn’t exactly succeeding.

“You ok, Jagiya?” Key asked with concern but she only muttered “hormones” and grabbed some napkins from off the food table.

With an amused shake of his head Key smiled. “Alright guys in three...two...one”

We all took our bites of the chocolate cupcakes and a squeak came from someone in the room. Pink colored cream was in the center of the confection and the boys crowded around Aliah in excitement, making wild promises of buying the baby girl a dress for every day from JinKi, getting her ballet classes from TaeMin, and unlimited tea parties from MinHo.

Aliah laughed until they had all settled down and Jonghyun and I said our own congratulations much more sedately.

“Whatever you guys need, just let me know,” Jjong said seriously. “I'll even babysit.”

“Of course, you will,” Kibum said. “And for free too.”

Jonghyun laughed at his friend’s confidence and I felt my heart grow for these people that I had just met. Maybe this trip would be better than I'd expected.

 

 

Christmas music played softly in the background, blending wonderfully with the crackling echoes of the wood that burned in the fireplace. The familiar melodies that filled the room in both Korean and English brought with them memories of holidays past. Before when I'd been with my parents, not even this holiday had been sacred and there were Christmases that I remembered spending alone. And then when they had passed away, the loneliness had been even greater, a constant companion. But now as I watched Jonghyun and the boys laughing over inside jokes, and Aliah sharing exasperated glances with me as they told ridiculous stories, all I could feel was warmth. I was welcome here and with all of the guys living apart, suddenly I was a part of something that would be only rarely experienced. I realized that Jjong had not only given me a part of himself but a part of his family as well. He had changed me and changed my life in an indelible way. For once I belonged.

“Let's play a game,” TaeMin suggested excitedly over the chatter. " We haven't in forever."

“Alright,” Minho agreed immediately. "What about the Nunchi game?”

“No way, I at that one,” JinKi complained. "I want the frying pan game.”

“Call,” the boys echoed and Jonghyun leaned back to rest against my legs, explaining the rules to me as everyone else fought over the nicknames they would use in the game.

“What's the penalty if we lose?” Kibum asked everyone with a twinkle in his eye.

“A shot!” the maknae declared amidst groans and fussing by his older friends. He ran into the kitchen and returned with several bottles of soju, one small glass and a wide grin. He placed everything in the middle of the floor and the boys huddled around to form a circle, with only me and Aliah on the couch.

The game began and I quickly realized I was out of my league. The rules themselves were straightforward enough but it seemed I lacked the basic rhythm needed as well as lacking the ruthlessness as the rest of the guys. They were quick to target weak links like me and purposely gave me high numbers to play to, and despite my short nickname of choice, I was soon losing count. After my third shot, I was done and resigned myself to water for the rest of game play.

The guys and Aliah had no such compunctions though. TaeMin never seemed to lose and was only drinking when he felt like it. Aliah had Key taking shots on her behalf and at one point after he’d downed his fifth shot he turned to his wife in astonishment, his eyes narrowed.

“You've never been this bad before. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were trying to get me wasted on purpose.”

“Now sweetie, I would never do that,” she replied innocently enough, but her eyes told a different story. "Although, I can think of a few good reasons why getting you drunk may be fun."

"Yeobo, not in front of the kids!" Kibum smirked amid the whistles and cat-calls of the other boys, his face and ears flushed red.

Laughing, Aliah bowed out of the game and we went into the kitchen together, tidying up the last remnants of the extensive meal that Aliah had cooked, the small amount of leftovers leaving me slightly shocked.

“How long can they go like that?” I asked Aliah feeling worried. Despite all protests, Jonghyun had managed to break out the norebang machine and the boys were currently holding onto one another and singing a song called “Drunken Confession”. It was sloppy as hell and MinHo had a case of the hiccups, but even still you couldn't deny that they all had wonderful voices. I could only imagine how great they would sound sober.

“Don't worry, they'll crash in an hour or so,” she said dismissively. “After that it's a matter of making sure they don't play pranks on each other in the middle of the night.”

“It's that bad?” I asked with a laugh.

“You have no idea!” Aliah snickered and the sound echoed in the kitchen, the tinkle of it lovely. The noise brought in Key and he smiled when he saw his wife.

“Ladies, it sounds like you two are having fun in here.” He wrapped his arms around Aliah from behind and left a smacking kiss on her cheek.

“Yeobo,” Kibum admonished, pulling his wife's hands out of soapy water, “leave those for the maid tomorrow. You've been on your feet all night, you have to take it easy.”

Wiping her hands on a dishtowel, Aliah pouted. "Shouldn't you be too drunk to be bossy?" She grumbled.

“I'll never be that drunk,” he replied with a wink and left us with another warning for her to take a rest.

“That man is a mess,” Aliah said while closing her eyes as she took a seat next to me.

“He loves you,” I replied, feeling some awe at their relationship. I guess my voice said it all because Aliah looked at me with a smile.

“Yes, he does. But what’s going on with you?” She was blunt and to the point but I think it made it easier for me to talk to her; she reminded me of Katy. Sighing, I told her my worries.

“I saw the way Kibum looked at you earlier and I want that with JongHyun. But I don't know how he truly feels about me. We're basically in stuck in ‘like’.” The other girl laughed at me then, her eyes twinkling.

“You must not have been looking closely enough, Noelle. You’ve already got it. Jjong brought you here, around his family. That says loud and clear just how important you are to him. He’s been through a lot and I can tell you that he isn’t taking this relationship with you lightly.”

“But how do I get him to tell me how he feels?” I bit my lip, feeling slightly relieved but still I wanted to hear it from the horse’s mouth.

“Do you love him?” Aliah asked, spearing me with a piercing look over the rim of her glasses, looking for all the world like the librarian Key had earlier claimed she was.

“Yes,” I whispered and I shook slightly at my revelation, feeling weird that I’d finally admitted it aloud.

“Then don't worry, you'll figure it out.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hello!!! You guys it's been forever! I mean I know you guys are shaking your fights at me in anger like "Duh Bish we were waiting on you" and I know it's my fault. But here it is, the next chapter in our story and did y'all see how long it was? A whopping 10 pages just for you as an apology  ^_^ I hope you guys continue to enjoy this story and songs that inspired this chapter would be the SHINee version of Last Christmas, it's really good and I wanted to do a Christmas scene once. Tell me below how you guys liked this chapter and what you think will happen next! Please remember to UPVOTE, COMMENT and SUBSCRIBE for more updates. And as always, much love <3