A year later.

The Story of How She Escaped Her Wedding (And Everything Else)

 

(One year later)

 

“No, Yuri, I can do it for you. Don’t worry, just hand it over!”

 

Tiffany wrestles the eye-shadow palette out from Yuri’s hands and it ends up flying across the room, both pairs of eyes following the palette.

 

“TIFFANY!”

 

“Well—I told you to hand it over!”

 

It lands right by the door and Yuri gets up in a huff to go over and pick it up. “Maybe this wouldn’t be so disastrous if sica Jung didn’t leave us in the lurch.”

 

“Speaking of Jessica, did she seriously ditch your wedding?”

 

“Unless she returns in the next thirty minutes, yes, that ditched my wedding.”

 

“So much for us helping her ditch hers…”

 

Yuri shrugs, signifying that she shared the same sentiments. As she reaches the palette, the door flies open, and in stumbles a blonde girl who trips over the palette and is sent falling to the ground. “Shi—!”

 

Both Yuri and Tiffany flinch and jump back from the sudden entrance, before they could finally make out who the girl was.

 

“Jessica Jung?”

 

The blonde girl struggles to get up, her dress a beautiful mess splattered across the floor. “Not going to help me up?” She groans and gestures towards her ankle, which she might have sprained.

 

They stare, one starting to sulk at the sudden reappearance of the friend who ditched her wedding, only to come back within the last thirty minutes, and the other one still caught up in disbelief at her sudden reappearance, complete with a new hair color.

 

Jessica gets up on her own in the end, using the chair as support. She dusts herself off and arranges her dress, then gives a warm greeting to her best friends. “Hey, guys! I’m back!”

 

Tiffany swings forward to receive Jessica’s hug, while Yuri—the bride, no less—folds her arms and frowns. “Look who’s back,” she shoots, an ominous tone audible.

 

Jessica pouts and pokes Yuri in the arm. “Aw, come on, you’re angry?”

 

“Oh, I don’t know, I think I am! After having planned this wedding with Tiffany—who, by the way, is way busier with her husband and baby and not with her best friend’s wedding—and that loser husband of mine, I’m starting to think I can survive without a certain Jessica Jung in my life.”

 

Jessica laughs at the explosive revelation, before going forward to wrap Yuri in a hug from the side. Yuri’s rock hard stature is broken when she laughs and reciprocates the hug too, with Tiffany joining in later. “It’s good to have you back.”

 

“I had a feeling Tiffany would screw the make-up over in the end, and it’d be hard for the bride to do it herself, so I’m back.”

 

“Hey! I’m not that bad, okay?”

 

“Sure, and I’ll bet that palette flew across the room itself!”

 

“Hey! Yuri was involved too!”

 

=

 

Donghae finds his seat amongst the guests in the chapel, and this time he’s sitting beside Heechul and Yoona again.

 

“Ah! Donghae!” Heechul gives a greeting and a fist pump, which Donghae responds to warmly.

 

“It’s been long, Donghae, like a year, right? Fancy meeting you here! Again!”

 

“Yeah,” Donghae muses. Then he notices how Heechul and Yoona’s hands are clasped together. “Oh, Hyung, you…”

 

“No, we’re not dating!” Yoona interjects, taking her hand out from Heechul’s grasp.

 

Heechul frowns at her, then grins at him. “Yeah, we’re not dating.”

 

Donghae laughs. They are.

 

He feels someone getting into the space beside him, and he turns to see who it could be. He finds the familiar face of a certain good boy he knows all too well. “J-Jinki?”

 

Jinki turns, with the solemn expression and a slight frown and for a moment Donghae is hit by the guilt of the incident from a year ago. Of course he should be guilty, he robbed the love of Jinki’s life and left Jinki standing by the altar while he ran away with the bride-to-be.

 

Then Jinki smiles and waves and Donghae realizes that it’s all over. “Hyung! How are you doing?” He offers a hand for a handshake.

 

Donghae takes it. “Perfectly fine, Jinki. Thank you.”

 

“I’ll presume the thanks you just offered was for letting Jessica go to you,” Jinki says, a playful grin hanging on his lips.

 

“I’m sorry—“

 

“Hey! Let’s save that for next time, or maybe never! Today’s a happy occasion, Jongwoon-hyung is marrying Yuri—Oh, yes! Reminds me! Is Jessica back with you?”

 

“Uh, yes, she is. She went to help Yuri with make-up…”

 

“Good! Yuri exploded just now when she came into the chapel in the morning. She swore she’d cut off all ties with Jessica since she’s leaving her best friend in the lurch.”

 

“Jinki, is it seriously all okay now?”

 

Jinki’s enthusiasm with the situation sizzles and dies when Donghae’s serious question comes into play. Sighing, he pats Donghae on the back. “Hyung, it really is. I’ve always known that Jessica couldn’t forget you, so it was fine for me to let her go. Plus, it’s fine! I’m not alone.” He winks, gesturing to his right, where another girl sat.

 

Donghae gives a curious look and Jinki laughs. “Sunyoung, meet my Donghae hyung! He’s half a brother of mine, we share the same surname!”

 

The girl beside him arches her brows and laughs, giving Donghae the biggest welcome of the day. She’s a bright one, and so was her greeting. “Oh! Hello, Donghae-oppa! I’ve heard a lot about you and Jessica-unnie from Jinki-oppa! He called you Jessica-unnie’s prince charming! And you really look like one, too!”

 

Donghae finally lets loose and relaxes his stiffened shoulders. He smiles and takes in the warm smiles that Jinki and Sunyoung are giving him.

 

Then the chapel doors close and Jongwoon, from the altar right on the top, straightens himself. Siwon is the best man, getting into position right beside the groom after handing his own baby over to his mother. On the other side, where the bride should be, Tiffany stands alone, awaiting the arrival of Yuri.

 

Another bridesmaid comes scurrying in from behind the altar, getting into position beside Tiffany. Donghae finds himself clapping louder than the rest at the sudden appearance of the extra bridesmaid, because it’s Jessica Jung.

 

The wedding march plays and the chapel doors open once more, the bright light gushing in a lot brighter than just now. Yuri is the one walking in now, led by her father.

 

Donghae stares and he imagines how beautiful Jessica would look if she had been the one walking down the aisle to fall into his arms.

 

He looks back at his own princess and they make eye contact.

 

Unforgettable memories, these were all going to be. From two years ago, from a year ago, from three years ago even. Till today, that is.

 

From the top of the altar and beside Tiffany and Yuri, Jessica muses and agrees with him, nodding her silent agreement.

 

fin

 

=

 

I hope that was a nice read for y'all. It's the festive season, and this is my Christmas gift to anyone who reads this~

 

Most of my works are on my LiveJournal (http://sweetlemonrain.livejournal.com) so if you're keen to check them out, you can always head to LJ. XD

 

Ah, I'm digressing. Pardon my self-promotion. D: I'm no genius author and I don't see myself as a good one, too.

 

Well... Merry Christmas!