Mask of Feelings

Two Princes and His Friend

-Chungah’s POV-

A few days later after Minwoo’s confession, it seemed like I couldn’t do anything properly anymore. I was distracted easily, more awkward than usual, and couldn’t look both princes in the eye. Doyoung was constantly there, wondering out loud if I needed to get something off my mind. I would shake my head and continue what I was doing. Eventually, after Joonhwi granted me a break, I rushed to the lake, where I sat alone with my thoughts. I wasn’t alone for long and found Doyoung’s presence next to me quite comforting.

“Minwoo confessed to me and now I feel like I’m wavering,” I admitted to him. He nodded as he listened to my side of the story. “I just don’t know because I am starting to see him less than a brother and more as a man.”

“Well, has… wait, I shouldn’t,” Doyoung stopped himself and smiled at me. “But who are you wavering between?”

I couldn’t tell him because I didn’t want to say I was wavering between all 3 boys. He didn’t pry any further and we walked back in silence. We parted ways and I decided to go to the library for a bit. I browsed the shelves and found a book to read, settling down on the comfiest seat I could find. As I found myself dozing off, I decided to take a quick nap before getting back to work. I put the book over my face, leaned back, and closed my eyes.

 

-Joonhwi’s POV-

“I’m just going to the library,” I said as I left my room. As I looked around the shelves, my mind wandered to Chungah. Where is she? Is she okay? Wait, what? I shook my head, getting rid of such thoughts, and saw that the book I liked was missing from its spot. As I was about to give up on my search for it, I saw someone sitting in a seat near the window, a book covering their face. I saw that it was the book I was looking for and walked over, pulling the book off and revealing Chungah’s sleeping face. As I watched her, she suddenly jumped in her sleep, startling me but she relaxed soon after, a small smile resting on her face. Bending down, I pressed my lips onto her forehead and she shifted around a bit before staying still again. I covered her up with a blanket and sat down near her, reading the book from where she finished off.

 

-Chungah’s POV-

I woke up all of a sudden and found myself still in the same seat, just with a blanket wrapped around me and the book off my face. I looked up and saw Joonhwi sitting there, reading the book I was reading. He looked up and caught me staring.

“Have a nice nap?” he smirked and I flushed.

“It was an accidental nap,” I insisted later on as I walked him back to his room.

“Yeah, sure,” he laughed and shut the door in front of my face.

“Ugh, he makes me so frustrated,” I fumed and went to my room. I found a note on my pillow and unfolded it.

Chungah, would you do me the honor of being my date for the masquerade ball? I’ll drop by tomorrow for your answer. - Doyoung

Masquerade ball? I haven’t heard about it. I shrugged it off and went to bed, waking up earlier than usual the next morning. I sighed, getting ready. The servants were then called to a meeting.

“You will have a day off to celebrate Prince Joonhwi’s uppcoming marriage.”

I felt my heart sinking. “Who is he getting married to?”

“That hasn’t been chosen yet. The prince himself will make the decision. His parents are very lenient and letting him choose.”

As we were dismissed, I couldn’t help but feel down. The prince is getting married. I knew I never had a chance but why am I feeling so depressed? I went to the lake, where I found Doyoung sitting there already. He stood up when he heard me coming and sighed in relief.

“I thought someone found our secret spot,” he chuckled but noticed my face. “Something wrong? Tell me everything.”

When I explained, he smiled sadly. “As I expected, you were wavering between the princes and not me.”

“I am actually,” I confessed and he looked at me curiously. “I just can’t settle between the three of you.”

He took my hand. “When you’re ready, you can choose. It doesn’t have to be me. But I still need your answer for the ball.”

I readily agreed and he seemed relieved. He stood up and offered me a hand.

“I want to take you somewhere,” he said to my questioning look. I took his hand and he led me to the expensive part of the village. We entered a shop and I sent him a look.

“What are we doing in here?”

He didn’t flinch at my look. “Well, if you’re going to a masquerade ball, you’ll need a dress and a mask won’t you?”

“Oh.”

I let the tailors measure me and I was given a few choices of dresses available.

“If you would like a custom made dress, that option is also available,” he said. Doyoung handed them back the dresses.

“We’ll take the custom option,” he said and I shook my head as the dresses went back.

“Doyoung, I don’t have the money to pay for both the dress and mask!” I said.

“Who said you were buying them?”

I shut my mouth from saying anything else and hesitantly described a dress.

“It’s a rose quartz and serenity colored dress, poofy, layered, with see through long sleeves and sparkles.”

They had everything written down and it would be delivered to Doyoung’s place, who would get it to me in time for the ball. We went to a mask shop next, where it was bustling with people. We looked around, picking up masks and trying them on. I put on a pretty pale pink one with blue gemstones.

“That one suits you very well. And it’ll go with the dress perfectly. How does this one look?” he held up a dark blue mask to his eyes.

“That looks great. What are you planning to wear?” I asked as we left the shop, masks in hand.

“Blue,” he said simply. “Ooh!”

He stopped, making me bump into his back, and he pointed at a stall with pretty accessories.

“You’ll definitely need some of these. Since I’m not much of an expert on accessories, I’ll let you run free on this one. I’ll be right back.”

I clung onto his sleeve, not wanting to be left alone after the last incident. He noticed my fear and smiled.

“Just one minute. Promise. Go take a look around and don’t move,” he hurried off. I sighed and looked around, selecting a pearl and diamond necklace with a matching bracelet. Doyoung kept his promise and was back as I was taking the set to the counter. He insisted on paying and we left the stall. We walked back to the castle, where Minwoo was just coming back from archery practice.

“Hi Doyoung. Hi Chungah. Where did you guys go off to?” he asked.

“Just out and about,” I said. Doyoung excused himself to go talk to Joonhwi and I turned to Minwoo. “Hey Minwoo? This ball… is for Joonhwi?”

“Yep. He’s at the age where he should be getting married to preferably a princess,” he said. “Mother and father are letting him use the ball as something to help him out. They’re hoping he’ll choose quickly but he’s very picky when it comes to girls so I don’t know how this will turn out. In a few years time, I’ll be having my own masquerade ball to find my own wife.”

He grinned at the idea and turned to me. “You’ll still be here when that happens right?”

I nodded. “Where else would I go?”

The day of the ball arrived. I was helping the princes with their suits.

“You have the day off you know, you didn’t have to help us,” Minwoo said as I helped him with his belt.

“It’s my job. Besides,” I poked him. “You said yourself you can’t do a tie properly.”

“I’m trying and practicing but it’s just so difficult,” he whined as I did his tie for him. I picked up their masks and helped them put it on, stepping back to admire them.

“I can hardly recognize you guys now,” I said. “I’ll see you all soon.”

Doyoung was waiting in my room when I came back, holding up a package.

“The dress is here,” he said, stepping out so I could get changed. I opened the box and saw the dress exactly as I imagined it. The serenity and rose quartz blended in and out with one another and the sleeves were dotted with glitter. I put it on and opened the door, letting Doyoung in as I did my hair. He had changed in the room next to me and I saw he was really wearing all blue.

“Even down to the socks,” he said, proudly showing me his ankles, which were covered with blue fabric. I finished my hair and asked Doyoung to help me with the necklace. He gently swept my hair onto the side as he clasped the necklace on for me. He smiled as I turned to him.

“If it wasn’t a masquerade ball, this would’ve been a perfect opportunity to make every man there jealous of me.” he sighed as he put on my mask.

“Why’s that?”

He leaned down next to my ear. “Because you look more beautiful right now than you ever did on any other day. This mask covers that beauty of yours.”

I blushed and he finished tying the strings. He did his own mask and we were ready to leave. He then took something out of his pocket.

“I bought this when I quickly left you that day,” he said and revealed a small tiara.

“Oh doyoung, I’m just a maid, not a princess,” I said. He put it in my hair and smiled.

He offered me his arm and I took it, walking towards the ballroom together. He told the butler our names and we were announced.

“Sir Doyoung and his partner, Seo Chungah!”

 

-Joonhwi’s POV-

I turned away from the girls who were trying to get my attention when I heard Doyoung’s name being called.

“Sir Doyoung and his partner, Seo Chungah!”

Seo Chungah? I squinted and saw an unfamiliar girl perched on Doyoung’s arm, wearing a splendid dress and a pink mask. She had a radiant smile and Doyoung looked happy to have her. I began walking towards them but was stopped by Minwoo, who told me the first dance was coming up. I didn’t have anyone with me so I sent over a look to Doyoung, who nodded and whispered something to his partner. I could see her eyebrows furrow but she walked over to me, bowing at the same time I did. When the music began, I quickly took her waist and hand and we began the dance. She had a soft smile on her face and she looked up at me, making my heart pound.

“Your Highness, why did you pick me as your partner?” she asked and I recognized her voice, even though she looked completely different.

“Seo Chungah, is that really you?” I asked, spinning her around.

“Who else would it be? Do you know any other Seo Chungah’s?” she said, laughing slightly.

“You just look so different,” I said. With her long dark hair in curls, a mask covering her face, and a tiara in her hair, she could pass off as royalty.

“Well, it’s because you’ve only seen me in my maid uniform. But answer my question.”

“Well… that’s because… Chungah...” I was interrupted by a round of applause. She bowed to me and left, letting a crowd of masked girls surround me as I watched her leave.