Brownies

Bucket List
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2009, February 14th

"So, would you like a puppy or a kitten, Kyungsoo sshi? Oh, I know! You're a cat person, aren't you?"

No, I'm a person person. A guy-that's-tall-and-tan-and-really-funny-and-cute person.

And Kyungsoo trotted along the aisle with Kai as he found nothing interesting until one of them caught his eye. Well not exactly, it just seemed like it was calling to him.

"Kai, is that kitten available to adopt?"

"I knew you were a cat person the moment I saw you Kyungsoo sshi! Just give me a...! Oh. Are you sure about adopting this one?"

Jongin picked the kitten up gingerly, and Kyungsoo finally saw the kitten up close.

It had patches of its auburn fur missing, and what was left of it was in sticky clumps clinging onto its scrawny frame. Its eyes were sealed shut, beads of pus oozing out of them.

"She was rescued yesterday. She seems to not have the right conditions to live on her own Kyungsoo-sshi. You need to take really good care of her, and it would cost a lot to get her to a vet. She will need very special care..."

Kai's voice trailed off as Kyungsoo thought about how he got into this mess in the first place.

He looked at the pitiful thing that fit in Kai's single hand, letting out pitiful mewls. He couldn't afford to take care of this kitten, he didn't even know how to care for one. But that doesn't mean he should just leave. This kitten was too young to die.

"...She only has a  few days to live, and we are planning to put her to sleep in two days, so I understand if-

"I'll take it, her, whatever. Who says I wasn't going to get her?" Kyungsoo muttered, not sure of what he was saying. He then reached out to hold the kitten, fingers brushing with Kai's. He was glad for the kitten's essentials toppling from the bag on Kai's left arm, or else he would have seen Kyungsoo's blushing face.

All that Kyungsoo heard was the flickering lights, and faint sounds of barking as he and Kai didn't share a word. Kai walked to the door and opened it, but it refused to.

"Uh... bad news Kyungsoo-sshi... I think that think that we're locked in. I think that my boss got the time wrong."

The lights flickered off, making Kyungsoo yelp, jumping forward.

And forward had to be Kai's arms. He couldn't squirm away, as Kai was holding tight, giving just enough space for the kitten.

"You're freezing, Kyungsoo-sshi, but only your face is hot. I think you might be having a fever."

Kyungsoo was about to tell him that it was not what he thought until Kai pulled him in closer.

"Don't worry hyung. I won't let you freeze to death. Or get caught by the boogeyman." Kai teased, making Kyungsoo's face impossibly redder.

What are you doing to me, Mr. Kai?

"What are you going to name this little guy?" Kai asked, brushing the tip of his finger against the kitten; making it let out a small purr.

"Brownie."

"Brownie?"

"Mhm. They're what I made this morning. I almost burnt them, you know? But Baekhyun hyung took them out of the oven at the perfect time!"

"So you don't hate chocolate."

"What?"

"Nothing, hyung."

"You know that's the second time you called me hyung instead of Kyungsoo-sshi, right?"

Both were grateful for the darkness that didn't show their reddening faces; the only noise heard being the rhythm that they didn't recognize as their heartbeats.

 

 

oxoxo

 

 

Kyungsoo was awoken by a ray of daylight shining through the window. When he rose, a coat that wasn't his was weighing him down. He looked down at himself, thankful that he had clothes on.

"So you're awake, hyung."

"Kai?"

"Hyung, it's 12:53 pm. You aren't a morning person, aren't you?"

It was so, late. In fact, too late. Chen would have told Baekhyun by now that he wasn't home.

"I-I have to go..." Kyungsoo muttered, quickly grabbing Brownie and the bag.

"Wait! Let me at least tell you my name!"

"I know! It's Kai!"

"No, it's Kim! Kim Jongin!"

Kyungsoo still had those words ringing in his head as he ran home, Brownie carried in his hands.

 

 

oxoxo

   

"Do you even know how worried I was, young man? Do you even CARE? I came all the way to your apartment to make sure you were safe, But you disappeared! Chen was worried sick! And wait a minute, what is that?"

Kyungsoo knew that his hyung would be like this when he came home. "It's a kitten, hyung. Her name's Brownie. I'm going to take care of her with the salary you give me." He explained, Baekhyun's eyes softening at the little kitten.

"She needs to go to a vet, that's for sure. My goodness, Soo! What have you done to her? You're grounded for a week, young man!"

"Baek, I-"

Kyungsoo was about to explain, but Baekhyun snatched the bag from him.

"Jesus, Kyungsoo! Why didn't you just tell me that you adopted this kitty yesterday! At least now I know you didn't go off sleeping with some guy."

"Well, actually, I did."

"What?"

"With Kim Jongin. Oh god, hyung it's not in the way you think so put that kitchen knife down!"

 

 

oxoxo

 

 

Kyungsoo decided to go to the shelter a few hours after he convinced his brother that no, he wasn't going to be a mother, and yes the man who was 'flirting' with him the other day didn't make him uncomfortable in any way. Baekhyun was just being the overprotective brother he was.

It's nothing special, it's just asking Jongin about Brownie, that's it.

But Kyungsoo took a deep breath before knocking anyway.

"Coming! Welcome- Kyungsoo... hyung."

"Uh... I just need to... uh..."

"Oh, do you need to help with Brownie? She looks better."

"Yeah... my brother knows some stuff about dogs and cats... and... stuff."

"That's great, hyung! By the way, the shop's closing soon. Why don't we go somewhere quiet to discuss?"

Was Jongin flirting with him? Or was he just being nice?

"Uh, sure. Let's just go to that cafe I work at."

 

 

oxoxo

 

 

Jongin knew he was screwed.

The owner of the cafe, who was so nice to him just yesterday, started to glare at him and Kyungsoo from the counter.

"So hyung," Jongin asked, leaning in a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter