whens and hows - final

whens and hows // Project Trainees // Task 4

Haneul wasn't sure when it had started but at one point of her freshman year in college, she found herself hiding behind the rack of mats every night, in the small dance studio in the third floor of the school, doing her homework and studying while secretly watching the awfully handsome boy dance the night away.

 

She wasn't sure when she started doing this but she would never forget how it all had started.

 


 

Taking a deep breath, Park Haneul brought her fist in contact with the hard wooden door in a semi-soft knock.

Tons of thoughts immediately ran into her head.

'Who is it going to be?'

'Would it be someone I know?'

'Will we get along?'

'It won't be someone weird that brings her boyfriend over all the time, right!?'

"Calm down, will you?" Jisook said, patting her friend's back, not too softly.

Slightly flinching away, Haneul just nodded her head as an 'okay.' and gathered her courage to knock once again when no answer seemed to be coming from the other side of the door.

'Is she not here, yet?' she wondered to herself.

She didn't know if she should be happy or sad that her new dorm mate didn't seemed to have arrived yet.

She was excited to meet the person that she was going to spend the rest of her year with but at the same time, there was a sick feeling to her stomach that wouldn't go away.

"I'm guessing you arrived sooner than her. You have the keys right? I don't even get why you bothered to knock in the first place. This is your dorm. Just go in already!" Jisook rushed her.

Panicking at her friends tone, she quickly pulled out her keys out of her pocket and unlocked the door. She hadn't even fully opened it when Jisook pushed her out of the way and just barged in with one of Haneul's boxes and suitcases.

"Ya!" Haneul exclaims, following her friend inside with the rest of her stuff.

"It's not bad. It's pretty clean, I would say." Jisook comments, ignoring the glare that was being shot at her.

Haneul just moves her head in a small nod, still holding on to the glare she was shooting towards her friend.

It's not like she was angry though. She was just annoyed. Jisook was her best friend and she had offered to help her move in if Haneul helped her as well but sometimes the latter wanted to strangle her bff to death because of her super carefree personality.

"So which bed are you taking?" Jisook asked, looking over to see an overly stressed looking Park Haneul.

This was her nightmare.

Literally.

She had a nightmare that this would happen, just last night.

Her biggest fear was arriving before her dorm mate and choosing the bed that her roommate actually wanted which later results to her being hated and glared at every night before falling asleep.

"You are not thinking about the weird dream you had last night are you?" Jisook asked in a monotone, staring at her best friend soullessly.

Clearing , she took a deep breath and with determination she headed toward the bed furthest away from the window before the room's door shoots wide open -

"I'm taking that one."

- and Haneul immediately turned towards the one by the window, dropping her backpack on it.

She always liked sleeping by the window anyway.

 


 

It was already a month in the new school year and Haneul couldn't take it anymore.

Kim Jiwon, her dorm-mate, was nothing like she had expected or imagined.

Well, actually - the first time she saw her, she knew that she had totally forgot to think about one possible scenario.

On the day she had moved in, a wild looking Kim Jiwon had walk in.

Wild as in a bold, black lipstick along with overly smoky eyes, dressed in an all black outfit consisting of leather leggings, tight - turtleneck crop top, a leather jacket and combat boots.

Jiwon gave the idea - no, no - was the definition of goth.

Not that Haneul really cared about her fashion sense - she was actually jealous of how nicely she rocked that black lipstick.

The thing that frustrated her about Jiwon was how inconsiderate she was.

Jiwon was a naturally smart girl so she didn't need a lot of studying to survive the harsh grounds of university but Haneul - she was a different story. To be able to keep up her good marks, she needed to put a lot of effort in studying and to study she needed her peace and quietness but Jiwon knew no such thing. Studying or hanging around in the dorm, her music volume was full on high. And it was no calming and relaxing music.

All you could hear from room 1559 was AOMG music all day.

Haneul had heard the iconic 'Grey' whisper so many times in the last month that she was positive she could perfectly nail imitating it and had probably memorized more than half of the AOMG songs by now.

She really liked AOMG herself, always thought that Loco was a cutie, but AOMG would not help her pass her exam or get a job in the future.

Seeing how much of an introvert she was and preferred to avoid people at all cost, library was never a choice she liked to consider, no matter how many times Jisook had reminded her that no one went to the library to socialize and have conversations with her.

That's why she came up with the great idea of finding an empty classroom or studio to study in peace.

She was ecstatic when she came across the empty dance studio on the third floor, even though she was going for something like an art studio because she was secretly an art lover and thought that it would be fun to spend some of her time in a place like that, but she wasn't complaining.

Everything had went nicely for the first few hours. She had settled her things neatly behind a rack of mats - in case someone came in and scolded her for coming in and using the space without permission.

The calmness and peace switched up to fear and panic before she knew it, she someone suddenly entered the studio with loud music being heard and blasted from a pair of earphones.

Holding her breath when she heard the stranger approaching when she was sitting, she was prepared for the worst but confusion filled her when instead of a voice asking her what she was doing, she heard the sound of music playing from the room’s speakers.

Not the kind of music she is used to hearing at her dorm, but a more smooth kind of tone.

She decided to take a peak of the mysterious dancing stranger and once her eyes landed on the moving figure, her breath hitched and her mind stopped while her hearts started to beat a thousand miles a second.

Suddenly all she could think of was how beautiful the stranger looked as he swayed his body along with the rhythm.

To Haneul, it looked like the man was dancing on waves, as if calming the storm with his gentle moves.

She spent the rest of the night there watching the dancing figure while trying to get some studying done in the side, somehow managing to not get caught.

 


 

The same thing continued for the rest of the semester. Jisook thought that it was really a wonder how her creepy friend had managed to secretly watch the so-said beautiful - Haneul's words not hers - boy without being found out.

She knew that there must have been more to the story than what Haneul had told her.

Maybe a side that Haneul herself didn't know.

Jisook knew about her best friend's clumsiness and unskillfulness in the area of staying hidden since the days when they were little kids and used to play hide and seek. The Haneul she remembered would never manage to so skillfully stalk someone like that.

And she wasn't wrong to have such thoughts.

 


 

Walking down the dark and narrow hallways, the boy quietly bobbed his head to the beat.

Excitement feeling his stomach as he got closer to the dance studio where he always practiced at.

"Hyung!" someone loudly shouted and before he knew it, the boy felt a heavy weight falling on his back.

"Jimin hyung!" the younger boy cheerfully repeated.

"Ya, Jeon Jungkook! Get off, you overgrown child!"

"Pff." Jungkook puffed, not budging from his shorter hyung's back.

"Where are you heading to? The dance studio?~" he asked, singing a bit of the last part before winking playfully.

"Shut up, you hulk! Yes, where else would I be heading to on the third floor?! What are you doing here?"

"Just walking around. Well, I'll let you get back to your path." he said, pushing himself off Jimin, but not before sending another playful wink towards his elder.

"You rascal! Go study or something!" Jimin scoffed before walking away from where Jungkook had attacked him.

Taking a deep breath, he opened the studio door and headed towards the mats to drop his bag there and connect his phone to the speakers.

His lips curling up at the sign of dark hair behind the mat, he headed towards the center of the room to stretch.

He tried to hold back the smile that started to take over his face as he saw a small head sneak out from behind the mats.

 

He wasn't sure how this had started, but one day as he arrived for practice and headed towards the mats to plug his phone, he saw a little figure curled up in what seemed to be in a hiding position but decided to not say anything to the intruder that seemed to have brought all of her studying material to his usual practice area.

 

‘Maybe one day I’ll have enough courage to go up to her’ he thought while stealing glances at her, secretly from the big mirror.

 

He wasn't sure how this all had started, but he sure would never forget when it had all started.