"You're pretty."

"You're pretty."

I’m not pretty. I’m fatter than other girls. I’ve always had thick arms, huge legs and also a chubby face. If you meet me, you’d probably think about how it is possible for someone to be so ugly, just like everyone else. I’m used to that.

People often ask me “Why aren’t you wearing any makeup?” or “Don’t you feel disgusted when looking at the mirror?” Apparently, in South Korea, appearances are everything. In order to fit with their beauty standards, I have to wear makeup or get plastic surgery. It’s not that I don’t wear makeup. I’ve tried tons of times, but makeup just doesn’t make me prettier, in fact it just makes me look even worse. For plastic surgery, I don’t really like the idea of me changing my face just so that people would like me. Doesn’t that make me a fake?

Well, with this face I don’t expect to succeed in anything, both in career and love life. I’m too tired of being rejected by boys, and it’s not like anyone is going to confess their feelings to me.

 

At least, that’s what I’ve always thought. Until….

 

“I like you.” Myungsoo said.

“What?” I was too surprised to say anything else. It’s weird for a handsome guy like him to say something like that.

“I said I like you.” He said firmly.

“Is this supposed to be a joke?” I asked. I didn’t want to keep my hopes up. I didn’t want to be disappointed.

No it’s not. I’m serious.” He did sound serious, but it just didn’t make any sense.

“Why? What is it that you like about me?”

“Because you’re pretty.” I didn’t know how to reply to that. He was the first person who said something like that to me.

“I’m not pretty. My face is like this.” I pointed to my face to make him realise that his judgement is probably wrong.

“That’s not true. You’re really pretty.” He said and smiled. I blushed and started to smile.

“Thank you…” He was so handsome and I was shy so I looked down because I didn’t want to have eye contact with him. Then there was an awkward silence. I thought that this conversation was done, so I was about to walk away when his hands grabbed my wrist.

“Wait.” He said firmly, but he looked pretty nervous and I was confused why he’s acting that way. “Will you go out with me?”

“Eh?” I was confused at what he asked. I really didn’t expect that he was going to say that.

“Is that okay?” He asked again, now he looked nervous while waiting for my answer.

“Okay..” He smiled.

“Then, starting from today, July 7, we are a couple.”

Everything that happened that day was so weird because it felt like I was dreaming. I didn’t know what I was supposed to do as a girlfriend because I’ve never had a boyfriend before. But that smile of his made everything okay.


We had dates most of the time. He was the one who initiated them. It’s not that I don’t like him, but every time I go out with him, I feel uncomfortable. People would stare and whisper about us. Whether it’s in the movie theatres, the park, or even the amusement park. Of course I know what they were talking about. They were talking about how we don’t fit together and how I was too ugly for my boyfriend. At first I tried to ignore them, but it didn’t stop. It became so obvious and I became so self-conscious that I feel uncomfortable walking in public with Myungsoo. But, the weird thing is that every time we walk out, he’d tell me that I’m pretty. He would repeat that every moment he can, which made me really uncomfortable because I’m not that pretty.

 

Eventually, I got sick of it.

 

“You’re pretty again today.” He smiled as he told me while I walked out my front door.

“Thanks.” To this extent was fine. I was alright with it, but as we went to the park, people were talking about us again. It was hard for me to ignore everything that people said.

“Daebak! What is such an ugly girl doing here?” A guy said to his group of friends.

“What’s a handsome man doing with an ugly girl like her?” A girl said to her boyfriend.

“Why doesn’t that ugly girl know her place?” Another girl said to her other friends.

What they said were so loud that they pierced right through my heart. I looked up to Myungsoo with a sad expression and I really hoped he was going to do something about this. But all he said was,

 

“You’re pretty.” 

 

Then, I got mad.

“Stop it. I hate it when you tell me that I’m pretty. Because I’m not. I’m ugly. I’m fat. Everyone knows that. They talk about it, every time they see us. You know that too.” I started to cry. “I’m tired of listening to those words, it’s not like we’re an idol. So please, just stop saying that I’m pretty. That makes me feel even worse.”

He hugged me tightly.

“Don’t cry. The reason why I always say that you’re pretty is because you are. I’m not making things up. I’m being honest with you. Never think that you are not pretty, because I think you are prettier than all the other girls out there. Being pretty doesn’t only mean having a good-looking face, but it’s having a beautiful heart.” He embraced me. “That’s also the reason I like you. Your heart is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever caught, and I’ll treasure it forever.” He kissed me on my forehead and smiled.

 

I will never forget his words.