Final

Wide Asleep

​"Baekhyun hyung! Thank God, you're finally home!"

​Whenever Baekhyun returned back to the dorm after a long and tiring day of shooting for 'Scarlet Heart Ryeo', he was usually greeted with silence. Only occasionally did the pleasing sound of Jongdae's and Kyungsoo's voices resound from one of the rooms in the back when his co-vocalists would practise their singing together. Other than those times, it was normally very quiet since the members preferred to stay in their rooms and spend some well-deserved private time. This evening, however, Baekhyun got almost run over by two frantically panting maknaes, each one pale as a ghost and eyes wide as saucers. Startled at the unexpected uproar that was greeting him at the door, the vocalist pressed a hand on his chest, eyeing both, Sehun and Jongin, who were holding onto each other desperately while babbling nonsense that Baekhyun's tired brain was unable to process.

​"Woah, guys, guys, guys.", he tried to stop them, "One at a time please and remember to breathe in between. What's the matter? What has gotten you so scared?"

​"It's Chanyeol hyung!", the maknaes blurted out at the same time, ignoring Baekhyun's plea to speak seperately. "He is possessed by something!"

​"...What?"

​"He is possessed hyung! There is no other explanation for what we have witnessed just now!", Jongin repeated, throwing his hands in the air.

​"It was so terrifying! I think I won't be able to sleep for the rest of my life!", Sehun added, clinging to the dancer again.

​"You didn't smoke anything, did you?",  Baekhyun asked warily, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

​"Hyung!", Jongin retorted, clearly apalled by the accusation. "We would never do that!"

​"Yeah! We are saying the truth!", Sehun defended him.

​"Alright, alright.", Baekhyun sighed. He had been looking forward to a nice bubble bath and endless sweet hours of sleep as soon as he would be home and now he had to play "The Exorcist" with these kids. Oh, the burden of being a hyung. "So, what did you see that was so terrifying?" - he emphasized the word 'terrifying' on purpose. (He couldn't resist.)

​The maknaes both looked at each other briefly before Jongin cleared his throat. "Okay so earlier, Sehun and I were bored so we decided to play a prank on Chanyeol hyung who we knew was sleeping in his room."

​"Wait, wait! Since when is playing pranks on my baby a way to entertain yourselves when you are bored?", Baekhyun interrupted, throwing a disapproving look at his younger bandmates.

​Sehun rubbed his nape sheepishly. "Well ... his reactions are fun - OW!"

​"Anyway.", Jongin continued after elbowing him, "We grabbed some markers and quietly entered his room, intending to doodle something random on his face. The problem was that he was sleeping on his stomach though, so we grabbed him by the shoulder and tried to lay him on his back. B-but t-then ... "

​"We succeeded in making him change his position.", his partner in crime continued for him, "However, as soon as we were able to take a glimpse of his face, we dicovered that his eyes weren't closed! In fact, they were wide open and his pupils were gone!"

​"His eyes looked like the pulp of a lychee! I can never eat lychees again!"

​"We were so scared, we ran out of the room as fast as possible!"

​Baekhyun watched with amusement as the two trouble makers started to cling to each other again, voices getting louder and louder with every new word that was spoken, faces losing their natural colour until their complexions became an almost identical shade of toast-white. It would be a lie to claim that the vocalist had to suppress a few chuckles while listening to their incoherent babblings. "So this is why you are convinced that Chanyeol is possessed?"

​"We didn't blindly assume things, hyung! We did our research and all results led us to one conclusion: that a person who has lost his pupils must be possessed by something! It could be a demon or or, Sehun, what else did it say on that website?"

​"A ghost! Or the devil himself even!"

​"Oh my God! Baekhyun hyung, we need to do something! You need to help us find a priest! The exorcism needs to be performed as soon as possible or the demon might possess one of us as well!"

​That did it for Baekhyun. Seeing them panickig like this was too much. He bursted out into his melodious laughter, clutching his stomach in the process.

​Meanwhile, the maknaes were left dumbfounded.

​"Uh ..."

​"You two watch way too many horror movies!", Baekhyun said after calming down halfway, "Chanyeol isn't possessed. He is just sleeping with his eyes open, you idiots."

​"Eh? And this is normal?", Jongin asked perplexedly.

​"It is.", the vocalist assured him, giggling. "Chanyeol's eyeballs are too big. Therefore, his lids are sometimes unable to cover his whole eye during his sleep. It is a problem he has had for years, even went to the doctor because of it.", he explained.

​"Oh, wow ... well, we didn't know."

​Baekhyun laughed at the partly relieved  and partly embarrassed expressions on his bandmates' faces. "Of course you didn't. This is something only someone who has been sleeping next to him for years can know.", he said, winking. "Now come and watch me perform that exorcism flawlessly." With that, the vocalist motioned the duo to follow him down the hall and into Chanyeol's room, which they entered as quietly as possible. Baekhyun pressed a finger against his pretty lips first before mouthing at them to stand and watch. The two started gripping each other again, expecting to witness Chanyeol's long body floating above the bed anytime soon (Also making a mental note to refrain from watching too many horror flicks in the future). To their relief, however, none of their horrifying fantasies became true. Instead, they watched in silent awe as Baekhyun sat down at the edge of the bed, looking  at the sleeping giant with such a warm and fond gaze that Sehun and Jongin almost felt like they were intruding on something. Baekhyun's elegant fingers gently removed a stray strand of hair from his boyfriend's forehead before gliding lower and closing his eyelids with a feathery touch. He spent a few more seconds gazing at his lover's handsome face with fondness before turning to his younger bandmates with a smug smile on his face. They gave him a thumbs up.

​"There, the exorcism is finished. Now go back to your rooms and don't bother my baby again, understood?", Baekhyun whispered, albeit in a stern tone. He had to suppress a laugh again when the two actually bowed before leaving the room and closing the door behind them.

​Finally alone, Baekhyun was able to direct his whole attention to the sleeping Chanyeol. He didn't care how creepy it might seemed to outsiders - he loved watching his boyfriend while the lattes was asleep. The giant's sleeping face was the most adorable thing ever, even when his lids weren't fully covering his eyes sometimes. It had creeped the out of Sehun and Jonigin but to Baekhyun, even Chanyeol's half-closed eyes were cute and loveable. Baekhyun loved them. He loved the tiny mole on Chanyeol's nose. He loved his large and pointy ears, his lanky limbs and his deep voice and the pout in his kissable lips whenever he spoke. Baekhyun loved him.

And there was nothing in this world he would rather do than spending the rest of his life falling asleep in Chanyeol's arms every night and closing his eyelids for him until they were old and wrinkly. Baekhyun swore, would he ever have the privilege to die before his lover, he would use his last strength to make sure to keep his eyes from drying out one last time before leaving this world.

​A sudden wave of emotions hit the vocalist's heart, making it flutter and filling it with warmth as he was gazing at his lover's sleeping face. Baekhyun couldn't control the itch in his hands anymore and so he let his elegant fingers glide over Chanyeol's features again, carressing all his favourite spots with a fond smile on his face.

​"Sehun and Jongin thought there was a demon inside you. Can you believe that?", Baekhyun chuckled, unintentionally causing his lover to stir in his sleep.

​"Hm Baek?", Chanyeol mumbled without opening his eyes, large hand blindly looking for Baekhyun's which was cupping his face.

"Yeah, it's me, baby. Go back to sleep. I will join you, soon."

​"Okay. I missed you."

​A gentle smile appeared on the older man's face. He couldn't help but bend down to peck those luscious lips. "I know."