Coffee in Vain

EXO Mart

 

Now Playing: K.will(케이윌) _ Day 1(오늘부터 1일)

 

Thick clouds covered the skies and cold wind blew the light rain in different directions on that busy Monday morning. Everyone walked hurriedly towards their destination as they left the subway. Some students went to school while men and women went to their office.

 

Oh Sehun hates the rain. He hates like the wetness of each drop that beats relentlessly upon his body, especially his handsome face, and soaks him from the outside in. There is hardly anything worse than the lingering wet rat feeling of drenched clothing.

 

Damn! He cursed to himself. He wouldn’t have had to take the subway if Oh Heejun hadn’t borrow his car. The kid was too excited to drive and because Sehun is a pathetically kind human, he reluctantly lent his car to his newly licensed younger brother. Now, his car has front end damage because Heejun just had to drive too fast and rear end another driver; his braking had been a fraction of a second late.

 

Sehun pulled up his coat’s collar to shield his neck from the offensively cold air rain as he had not brought his umbrella. The sun had been predominant in the sky when he left home, so the thought to grab protection from unsavory wealthy had not crossed his mind. Fortunately, his destination wasn’t far. Sehun is the branch manager from one the largest supermarket chains in South Korea, and EXO Mart is located just across from the nearest subway station.

 

As Sehun stepped out from the subway station, a voice caught his attention. “Manager Oh!” The sweet, familiar voice filled his ears before Sehun turned his head to find the face belonging to said voice.

 

Before him, stood a attractive young man with long eyelashes and pink lips pulled into a sheepish smile. He wore a blue coat and held a transparent umbrella.

 

“Luhan-­ssi,” Sehun greeted with crooked grin. Who could blame him when his crush suddenly appeared and called his name, right? Luhan was one of the cashiers that worked at EXO Mart and famous amongst the customers because of his looks. Sehun had also fell victim to his charm and admired him from the first time his gaze had fallen over the other male, causing him to wonder if love at first sight truly does exist.

 

“It’s rare to see you taking the subway. I also saw you didn’t bring an umbrella, Sir. Shall we walk together?” Luhan offered kindly as he closed the space between them and held the umbrella higher to protect the both of them the rain, despite the height difference between them.

 

Sehun was left no time to decline the offer; however, given the opportunity to enjoy a close proximity to Luhan, it’s hard to say he would have anyway. “Um… my car is damaged,” Sehun explained with low voice. “Here, let me hold the umbrella, at least.” His heart pounded so loudly against his ribcage, he was afraid Luhan could hear it himself. As he reached for the umbrella, Sehun’s heart clenched painfully when his hand lightly brushed against Luhan’s in the exchange.

 

Luhan nodded and smiled brightly at the kind gesture. “Let’s go!” he shouted cheerfully as they stepped away from the subway station.

 

For the first him in his life, Sehun found himself actually grateful for the rain.

***

Sehun meandered through the isles of EXO Mart, pretending to casually fix random product placements or take inventory while his eyes continued to gravitate toward a particular cashier at the front of the store.

 

“Sehun? Yah! Oh Sehun!”

 

Sehun was too consumed with his thoughts about Luhan that he had not heard his own name being called until he finally felt a slap against the back of his head.

 

“Owww! What’s wrong Kyungsoo?!” He groaned and rubbed his head as his view of Luhan was shifted to a shorter guy with wide eyes.

 

The shorter man stared blankly at Sehun. “Can you stop stalking Luhan like a maniac for like one minute!” The guy named Kyungsoo complained. “I need your signature for the dairy shipment that just arrived. Here’s the document.”

 

Sehun narrowed his eyes at Kyungsoo and snatched the documents from the slightly older man’s grasp. Quickly, he read and signed the paper before shoving it into Kyungsoo’s petite torso, blatantly ignoring the hand that had been held out for it.

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and sighed at Sehun’s childish antics. “If you really like him just tell him,” He advised.

 

Sehun’s eyes widened as if Kyungsoo has nonchalantly suggested murder. “I can’t just go after one of the workers,” he nearly choked, trying to keep his voice low so no surrounding ears could privy in on their conversation. Clearing his throat and standing up straighter, Sehun glanced around defensively before redirecting the subject. “What are you doing getting my signature yourself, anyway? Don’t you have a secretary to do that kind of work for you?”

 

Kyungsoo blinked, unfazed by Sehun’s dramatics. “Inseong is currently taking care of some products on the storage room,” He answered as his eyes drifted towards Luhan’s direction.

 

“Luhan is famous around our customers,” Kyungsoo reminded Sehun. “I’ve seen many much better than you try flirting with him and getting nowhere, so don’t be surprised it if Luhan doesn’t fall for your advances, either. A guy like him probably has a much hotter someone or other, anyway.” With a sardonic smirk, Kyungsoo left Sehun dumbfounded and sputtering for the last word.

 

With a pathetic pout, Sehun’s eyes trailed towards the cute figure smiling at one of the customers as he returned the young man’s credit card along with the receipt of his purchase. Kyungsoo was right. The customer, whom had already completed his purchase, continued to stand before Luhan offering a flirtatious joke to earn a laugh from the attractive cashier. Sehun held the urge to shoo the customer away but was quickly relieved when another patron queued behind, so that the young man finally had to leave, but not before giving Luhan a wave and suggestive wink. Sehun clenched his fist, wishing nothing more in the moment but to punch the jerk in the face. Instead, he found himself soothed with the way Luhan gracefully ignored the attention with a polite bow before turning his full attention to the next customer.

 

Shaking his head to rid himself of lingering anxiety, Sehun finally left the cashier area and walked back to his office when he bumped with someone.

 

“I’m sorry, Manager Oh!” The young man clad in a security uniform bowed respectfully as he apologized.

 

Sehun placed a hand on his shoulder as the security officer stood back up to his full height. “It’s okay, Tao­-ssi. Why are you in such a hurry?” Sehun questioned curiously.

 

Tao scowled to himself. “My almighty manager—,” Tao said with full of grudge of the word, “—ordered me to buy him a cup of coffee. Do you want some, Manager Oh?”

 

“You can make some coffee in the kitchen or buy it in our cafeteria,” Sehun offered. “Who’s manning your post while Manager Wu has you running around on his orders like this?”

 

“I appreciate the offer, but Almighty Manager Wu wants an Americano from Astro Coffee Shop,” Tao informed bitterly. “And Park Seungjun is the guy taking my place for a while,” Tao continued in horror. “I must hurry Manager Oh since that kid just joined us for two weeks. He’s like a baby trapped inside a giant’s body. So you want something?”

 

Sehun shifted and narrowed his eyes in thought before Luhan’s face came to mind. “Um… if it’s okay with you then two hazelnut lattes, one with normal sugar and one with extra sugar.” Quickly, he pulled his wallet from his back pocket and handed several bills to Tao. “Is it enough?”

 

“It’s more than enough,” Tao answered, folding the money and sticking it into his shirt pocket. “Okay then. I’ll go now.”

 

Sehun nodded and watched Tao scurry off to the coffee shop before casually strolling to his security post to meet this Seungjun guy Tao seemingly had doubts about.

 

“Good morning, Manager Oh!” The guy greeted cheerfully as he bowed and damn…Tao was right. The guy was giant! He had to be taller than Kris.

 

“Good morning to you as well, Park Seungjun­-ssi. How are you liking the job?” Sehun questioned amiably.

 

“Great Sir! I mean some of my friends also works here, also. Like Jeong Inseong the secretary of Manager Do, the Product Manager.” His lips formed a smile that makes him look both charming and stupid at the same time, Sehun thought.

 

“Right. That would be nice. So, um… please do your job well. Fighting,” Sehun encouraged the new security employee and squeezed his shoulder lightly.

 

Sehun was already in his office when Tao returned with the two cups of hazelnut lattes. “Thank you, Tao. You can keep the change,” Sehun told him as he accepted the steaming cups of caffeinated goodness. “And if Manager Wu gives you hard time you let me know, okay?”

 

Tao breathed in defeat. “I think he just hates me, Manager Oh. Thank you anyway.” Tao bowed and excused himself.

 

After Tao left, Sehun stared at the extra latte and contemplated over how to casually offer it to Luhan. When he finally concluded that he was useless at forming such sly schemes, Sehun woefully resorted to calling Kyungsoo over the phone for a second opinion.

 

Kyungsoo yawned lazily, almost disbelieving how pathetic the manager was. “Just give him the ing coffee, Oh Sehun!” The sound of the line going dead filled Sehun’s ears. It amazed Sehun how Kyungsoo seems so reserved and quiet when you first met him but could change into a monster as soon as you actually came to know him ­ a real like Jekyll and Hyde.

 

While Sehun was still debating over his dilemma, his office door swung open revealing a tall guy with a wide grin decorating his face.

 

“Hey Sehun! I have the storyboard for our latest EXO Mart commercial. What do you think?” The guy with cute, pointed ears sat comfortably on the chair in front of Sehun as he presented the pictures of the proposal to Sehun’s desk.

 

Sehun observed for a while. “It’s good but I think it’s better if you added kids for this couple,” Sehun pointed to one panel with couple on it. “That will shows our market provide everyone’s needs; not only adults, but also kids.”

 

Chanyeol facepalmed himself at the simplicity of the suggestion he had not thought of himself. “Oh, right! That’s good idea. I’ll tell Mino. He’s the person in charge of this project. Okay then I’m going. Thanks for your input.”

 

“Wait! Chanyeol­-ah!” Sehun quickly called, standing up from his seat behind the desk as he stared pleadingly at advertising manager.

 

“Hmm?” Chanyeol responded, halting in his departure momentarily.

 

“H­-how do you give someone something when you don’t want them know it’s from you?” Sehun asked meekly.

 

Chanyeol raised a suspicious eyebrow.

 

“Ah! Forget it! I’ll give it to him myself!” Chanyeol was left sorely confused and unable to offer any further response before Sehun grabbed the cup of hazelnut latte with normal sugar and rushed from his office, brushing past Chanyeol in the doorway as he set out on his mission.

 

Sehun stormed up to the cashier area where he saw Luhan currently quite relaxed since there were no customers to attend to at the time. Reminding himself to inhale and exhale, Sehun was mid­pep talk when he saw Kim Minseok, another cashier, approach Luhan. With a gasp, Sehun quickly hid himself behind the nearest shelf, watching both of them with a scrutinous eye. He watched how genuinely happy Luhan seemed to be as they laughed together over some inside joke.

 

Sehun blinked back the stinging in his eyes as he felt his heart shatter. Kyungsoo words about Luhan being famous and can be taken by someone instantly echoed through his thoughts.

 

Is it possible Luhan is dating Kim Minseok?

 

Sehun observed once again. He found himself convinced Luhan had offered him a much brighter smile to him at the subway station that to Minsoek in the current moment, but if Luhan was already taken, he shouldn’t be anywhere near him. Walking limply back to his office, Sehun dropped the latte purchased for Luhan inside the recycle bin on the way.

 

It was probably as cold as he was feeling, anyway.

***

Author’s Note:

Hello everyone I’m sorry it took me so long for an update! *bow* So this is the 1st chapter with Hunhan as the starter and slight Taoris and I hope you can enjoy it. Thank you so much for my amazing beta reader, Cinneman ♥ and I kinda forgot to include their age. So, Sehun-Jongin-Tao-Chanyeol-Kyungsoo-Baekhyun-Jongdae are 25 yo, Yixing-Junmyeon are 26 yo, Kris-Luhan-Minseok are 27 yo. I’m KNK trash and Inner Circle that’s why Heejun, Seungjun, Inseong, and Mino appear XD I like many k-groups beside EXO to appear so yeah just wait for it ^^ Thank you for reading and supporting hope you enjoy it and please subs, upvotes, and leave kind comments♥ I also include a song playlist that I played during writing the chapter ^^

- scarlet -