Chapter One

The Times
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter One

 

 

 

 

Every moment is a new one in the making; every path we choose determines our future. Sometimes, you may wonder; what if I didn't do this in the past? Will my future still be the same?

So, what if one day, you get the chance to go back in time and change your decisions? It'll be like living two different lives; two different fates. What Bomi only knew once she could change her past, was that she was going to do something different. Something drastic. And she could only hope for the best. That it was the right decision. 

Because there was no turning back.


. . .

 

The first snow made its way down slowly, one snowflake landing onto Bomi's outstretched palm. The moment it touched her palm, it melted into a mini puddle of water, vanishing into nothing. 

Knock knock.

Bomi got off the window and made her way to the door. It swung open to reveal a young petite girl staring up at her. Her hair curled messily at her shoulders, and there were dirt specks on her face. However when she smiled, Bomi could see that her smile reached her glassy eyes. The little girl held out both arms, only to reveal a letter in her hands. A torn, tattered black bag was slung over her shoulders, probably containing the many letters she was supposed to send to others.

Bomi took the letter gingerly, and thanked the girl. She pried open the yellowed letter, only to see an oh-so-familiar handwriting.

Dear Bomi, it read. This is Chanyeol. Do you remember me? How about we meet at our usual place in the afternoon? I have lots to tell you. 

When she looked up from her letter, the little girl had already gone.
 

She almost hear her heart beating rapidly just from reading the letter, almost unbelieving that Chanyeol, her Chanyeol was back. The boy she had spent her entire childhood with. She had to reread the letter several times before shrieking in joy. 

She waited until past lunchtime before skipping out of her old cottage. Winding down the isolated roads, she almost knocked into people on the way. However, the girl barely took any notice and continued on her merry way, only halting to a stop a good 15 minutes later. A small smile tugged at the corner of her lips as she took in the fresh, cold air, closing her eyes.

It’s the day I’ve been waiting for.

When she opened her eyes, she took in the scene before her. An old, wooden bench sat next to a small lake. The lake wasn’t exactly clear; leaves floated on the icy blue water as winter had started to approach, and algae had started to grow near the bank. The nearly bald tree branches swayed back and forth as a cold gust of wind blew past the girl. Dried leaves scrunched under her feet as she made her way to the worn out bench- their worn out bench. 

Over the years, the bench had been chewed up by worms, maggots and the likes. Part of the wood had rotted away. But still, she sat on their bench, and waited.

Even as the bright glare of the sunlight gradually died down to a lonely white glow in the darkness, she waited.

Even as the cold stale air gradually evolved to strong, eerily cold wind that blew against the naïve girl’s shivering body and caused her hair to fly messily into her face, she continued waiting for that one person to show up.

To appear by her side like he had never disappeared for five full years.

To pull her into an embrace and like how they always had.

To tell her how much he missed her, how long he had waited for this day to come, just like she had.

 

But he never did. 

 

Chanyeol never did show up.

 

 

 

 

When she reached home, her body trembling from the cold, she saw a letter stuck in the gap under her door. Snatching it open, she fumbled to read it. Yet when she finished the letter, she crumpled to the ground. 

 

. . . 

 

“The Princess is getting married! The Princess is getting married!” Word spread like wildfire once the news had been released. 

Harshed whispers could be heard as fishmongers gossiped amongst themselves. Parents started dressing up their children, many hoping that their Princess would take notice of them.

Today was the day the Princess turned 18, the day their Princess, Hayoung- would choose a suitable Prince whom she wanted to marry. Because the Princess was known to be a kindhearted girl and who wouldn't mind about poor backgrounds, everyone was really excited. It was no surprise that many boys' first love was Hayoung. In fact, it would be a surprise if they weren't attracted to the benevolent Princess.

Although known as the Princess, everyone knew she preferred to be treated like a commoner, like she isn't any different from the others. The Princess had gotten ready tests for the applicants, and they were to compete to catch the Princess’s heart. Only those who passed the first round of tests could move on to the second round, those who passed the second the third- you get what I mean.

"I flunked the first round of test," Baekhyun laughed, making his way to Bomi. He handed the girl a small script with his results. 

Bomi only shook her head, giving him a small smile. 

"You'll find your girl someday," Bomi assured the boy, although she wasn't sure if he actually needed assurance because he seemed chirpier than usual. Not like he wasn't chirpy already.

The two made their way to the nearest food place and settled down near a wooden table. The place was filled with either males sulking or being excited over their test results. 

"Really, you seem waaay too happy considering you failed the test," Bomi enquired. In fact, she had noticed that Baekhyun hadn't seemed the least bit interested in the Princess. And she couldn't quite comprehend. The pair ordered their food and drinks as per usual- Bomi her favourite udon noodles, and Baekhyun his black bean noodles. 

"So... how's it going? With him?" Baekhyun asked as they waited for their order. 

Bomi's expression dropped immediately. Just the mention of him got the girl reeling. It was like a taboo word, where her friends wouldn't speak of it. But Baekhyun was close enough for her to talk about things like that. 

Baekhyun caught her drastic change in mood, and tried to lift it back up. "I mean, he's back. Why do you seem so sad? Hasn't he tried to talk to you?" 

The poor boy wasn't aware of the situation, and Bomi hadn't let him in on what happened. But she decided that perhaps, it was time. 

"He...he didn't," She told him. Then, she revealed a small crumpled letter from her pocket. The letter she got from Chanyeol later that day. 

Baekhyun, oblivious to the girl's dejected state, took the letter and opened it curiously. 

It was short and straightforward, little effort put into it. Baekhyun lifted his eyes to meet Bomi's. But he knew Bomi wouldn't be the same again. Because he knew just how much Chanyeol meant to her. He knew that the only thought that drove her everyday was him. But now it was like Chanyeol had been ripped from her, and she sure as hell didn't even know why. His train of thought was broken by a loud clank.

"I lost the fifth test," A boy groaned, messing his hair as he placed his glass on the table a little too loud. "I don't even know what's so good about that Chanyeol boy."

Both Bomi and Baekhyun's head instanly snapped up at the familiar name. They stared at each other wordlessly, both thinking the same thing. Was the Chanyeol the boy was talking about, their Chanyeol?

"Wait, what was his name again?" One asked.

 

"Park Chanyeol. He's the one Princess Hayoung is marrying."

 

 

It was soon known to everyone that the Princess had chosen her future husband, and the wedding ceremony would commence in about two weeks later. And her soon-to-be husband was none other than the Park Chanyeol. When the Princess first spoke to him, she was taken aback by his manners. So when the Princess chose Chanyeol, everyone wasn't surprised. Chanyeol was not only rich; he was a gentleman.

Many males were disappointed by the results of course, each wanting to be the ones marrying the Princess. Nonetheless, many were still happy for them both, for they were aware that the Princess had made the right choice. 

The only one who wasn't rejoicing from the news, was none other than Bomi. She understood now, why Chanyeol said all that to her in the letter. Because he wanted to marry the Princess.

Bomi knew she wasn't a match if it was Hayoung. She wasn't rich, beautiful, or likeable like the Princess. She knew that Chanyeol would be happy with a girl like Hayoung, but it still hurt, and she couldn't at all figure out why. 

 

. . .

 

Wind blew against her reddened cheeks as she blew out quick hot breaths. Her boots clicked against the ground noiselessly as she tried to quicken her pace. Grabbing her flapping coat, Bomi wrapped it firmly around her waist and zipped it fully.

“Wait up!” She called, lifting her hand to remove the hair flying into her face.

No sooner had the words left her lips, than she bumped into the male in front of her. Baekhyun turned to face the girl, worry evident in his eyes. She saw something flicker in Baekhyun’s eyes, but he turned back and continued walking before she could question him.

The two friends made their way up the steep hill, fighting against the chilling cold wind that was blowing in their faces. Since the news of Chanyeol’s marriage, the boy had kept invading her thoughts at irregular intervals, catching her by surprise. Bomi had holed herself up in her house since then. Her friend had tried to drag her out but to no avail. 

"Here, we're going to visit Chanyeol," Baekhyun had told her girl that day, dragging her up from her old mattress.

 "Come on," He tugged on Bomi's arm. "Your aunt said you haven't gone out in days. We'll go visit Chanyeol and see what he has to say about it." 

And that was how the two were on the way to the said boy's house, Bomi apprehensive on her part. Baekhyun’s expression hardened as he turned back to continue their ascend, glancing at her occasionally just to make sure she was fine. He couldn’t help the bubbling jealousy as he saw how attached Bomi was. 

Bomi had known Chanyeol for many years now. To put it simply, all of their lives in fact, since they were six. They argued, they laughed, they fought, and they took care of each other. They practically grew up in each other’s arms.

But Baekhyun had always taken a liking to Bomi. He noticed how kindhearted the little girl was, and sometimes, he wished he were in Chanyeol’s place. Baekhyun had never dared to approach her. He would only watch from the sidelines.

Unlike Chanyeol, Baekhyun only met Bomi in middle school. He could never get close to her like how Chanyeol could, no matter how hard he tried. Then one day, Chanyeol’s father managed to save enough money to send him overseas.

That night, one boy promised. The boy promised that he would come back for that one girl, and never forget her. And that girl did the same. She promised that she would never forget the boy. But no one knew that both promises would be broken.

No one knew that in the end, they would forget each other.

 

. . .

 

When they reached Chanyeol’s new house, Bomi couldn’t help but become entranced by its grand appearance. It was nothing like her house, or Chanyeol’s house in the past. This house right in front of her was simply massive.

Being the heir of a silk business, Baekhyun’s parents had kept in touch with Chanyeol’s now rich parents. Over the years in Chanyeol's absence, Baekhyun had been there for her. If she had to put it in words, it was like Baekhyun was taking Chanyeol's place. When Chanyeol returned, Baekhyun was the first who knew of it from his father. 

Despite that, the two boys weren't very close. In fact, Baekhyun disliked Chanyeol. Even though he knew he shouldn't, he wasn't fond of the boy who was able to capture Bomi's heart. And for putting Bomi through whatever she had to go through. Bomi however, was unaware of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter