The Switch that Turned the Light

The Doppelganger Effect

Chapter 1

The Switch that Turned the Light


September 9, 2020

            The Presidential Palace was under attack by rebel forces. Several bombs were planted throughout the building by spies who infiltrated the palace. There are many things unknown about this rebel group, who they are, how they gained access to a highly secured building with soldiers on every corner, but nonetheless Kim Jong Un and fifty staff members were gravely injured in the event, twenty declared dead. It happened at around 2:30am. Kim Jong Un was found below the rumble that was left of the great palace. He was taken to the hospital by a fleet of soldiers. There the doctor declared him in a vegetative state. He suffered from severe brain damage with 3rd degree burns on his right arm.

            There laid the great leader. Still alive, his body remained unresponsive. The vice chairmen of the National Defense Commission were the first to be notified. Damage control had to be done. The terrorist attack of the presidential palace would spark public outcry. The vice chairmen had an official meeting with selected members of the NDC in a classified location outside of Pyeongyang the next day. All the men in black suits gathered around the room. They all looked the same. They wore the same clothes, had the same hairstyle of course the same one as Kim Jong Un, and even their voices were similar. Not one man stood out from one another. Their demure was the ideal government officials. All flocks of sheep following their leader.

The Vice Marshall started the meeting. “Select officials were gathered here today to decide what will we do next? After such an unfortunate event we need to make decision to lead this country with the absence of our Great Leader.” The Vice Marshal looked at the group of men who were scared out of their wits. He took a deep sigh.

“Terrorist attack?” he though. Just what kind of terrorists were they dealing with?

“We need to find the people who set those bombs!” said the Head General. “We should conduct an extensive search party and find any trace or evidence. I’ll assign 1 million soldiers all around the country to round up people who seem suspicious and bring them in for questioning.”

All the men in the room nodded their heads in agreement to what the Head General said. It was the most logical thing to do.

The meeting continued throughout the day covering a wide range of topics such as military development, foreign relations, nuclear arms, domestic economy, but the conversation turned into a grim reality as the day turned to evening.

The Head General continued "Unfortunately as you may have heard, Kim Jong Un is in a comatose state. The doctor said he may never recover. All we could do now is hope that he will get better over time. For now, we should not disclose his condition from the public." 

"That would seem like a good idea, but is it even possible. The people may believe whatever we tell them, but what about those disgusting western countries. They've been watching us ever since this nation has been built and the word will spread about the terrorist attack and they'll be screaming democracy." said the Vice Marshal.

"We could just threaten them with nuclear bombs. We've recently perfected our technology in hydrogen bombs." one man shouted.

"How long are we going to threaten them with bombs? We've been saying that for 50 years now. How long until they call our bluff? If they know about the terrorist attack, then wouldn't that give the rebel groups a source to rely on? If the western countries found out about these North Korea rebels, what do you think they would do? Help them of course." said the Vice Marshal.

"Then what do you suggest we do?" said the Head General.

"We say it was an accident. That we were testing out our new military technology." said the Vice Marshal.

Vice Marshal was different. He really was. His ideas were always out of tangent with the rest. He never showed it though. Never in front of the great leader at least. That would only make him stand out. Make him a problem. He was the smartest in his class. The one who always asked questions. How could someone like him become Vice Marshal? It was all just an act.