Unreachable You

Unreachable You

 

 

 

Walking down the crowded street, I make my way to my home after a long day at school. I don't wanna go home yet, though. I don't want to see my stepmother who only cares about my dad's money. It's sickening me. Especially at this time, my dad probably is still working and hasn't arrived at home yet. I hate her. I hate how she acts like she's the owner in my house. I hate how fake she is and everything about her. Sigh.

 

I silently shiver as a cold wind passes through my hair. Tightening the scarf around my neck, I look around the place only to spot him there, flipping the cards one by one in front of so many people.

 

He's Wonwoo. I've known him for about 7 months now, not that quite long time I know. However, I've fallen for him. He's always there whenever I need him and always listens to my problems, anytime. He's the only one who's always beside me. I like him...

 

...Even though I've never seen his face.

 

Sounds weird? That's because he always wears a mask that covers half of his face. He's a magician after all so I understand. Though, I'm also curious. And besides of his kindness toward me, I've also wanted to be a magician since I was 6 years old so it's a good thing that I met him. A smile forms on my lips as I approach him.

 

"And 1 2 3," He says as he flips the last card. People drop their jaws and are in awe. Same goes to me, even though I've seen this trick lots of times from him.

 

"That's the card from before!"

 

"So cool!"

 

"I wonder how he did that!"

 

I begin to clap my hands and so does everyone. Wonwoo bows down while people are placing coins into his jar.

 

"Thank you," He smiles and I can't help but to smile too.

 

As soon as everyone leaves, he sorts out the cards back to their places again and tidies up the table. I make my way towards him and start wiping the table.

 

"That was cool."

 

"I knew you'd say that," He chuckles lowly. "How was school?"

 

"It was alright, I guess," I smile.

 

He nods his head as a reply. After finish cleaning up his stuff, he zips his backpack close and slings it over his shoulder. "I want to take a break for few hours and continue the show la—hey, what's that?" He asks as he leans in closer to my face.

 

I try so hard not to blush and stay still. What is he doing—

 

He reaches his hand out to touch my head, rubbing it gently. "It's just a leaf," He flashes a smile then turns around, heading somewhere and I follow him from behind.

 

All I can hear right now is the sound of my heart beating so fast. Covering my red cheeks with both of my hands, I try not to look at him.

 

"Do you want me to walk you home?"

 

"No, it's okay," I answer. The last time he walked me home, my father got mad at him for no reason, I don't want that to happen again.

 

"If you say so," He shrugs.

 

I glance at my dark blue watch; it's 5 in the afternoon already. Time flies really fast. I still want to stay with him but I have no choice.

 

"What time will be the next show starting?" I ask, hopefully my stepmother will let me out this night.

 

"As soon as I'm done resting," Wonwoo shoves his hands into his pockets. "Are you gonna watch?"

 

"I'll try to come!"

 

 

 

 

 

...

 

 

 

"I'm home," I say as I enter the house. As usual, no ones answering so I immediately make my way upstairs. Once I reach upstairs, the door of my room has already opened. Weird. I don’t remember leaving the door open this morning, in fact, I never forget to close it before leaving my room.

 

I shake my head slightly as my mind starts to drown in negative thoughts. I proceed to my room and stop on my tracks as soon as I see her inside, going through my stuff.

 

She lifts her head to see right into my eyes. A wide smile plasters on her face.

 

“What were you doing in my room?” I cast my gaze sharply to her. I hate it the most when someone touches my belongings, especially her.

 

“You came home late,” She says, not answering my question. “You were with that guy again, weren’t you?”

 

“That’s non of your business,” I walk towards her and snatch my perfume that she’s holding, placing it back to its place. She literally wants to steal everything I have. Is being my dad’s wife who owns a huge company not enough?!

 

“It is my business. I’m your mother.”

 

I ignore her while tidying up my stuff. Thanks to her, now everything’s in a mess, just like my life.

 

“Listen to me, .”

 

It’s not even a new thing for me. This woman always calls me with names at least three times a day. No, I’m not surprised anymore.

 

“What do—“ Before I could finish my sentence, a hand flies and slaps me across my face. I groan as I feel my cheek in pain. It’s just unbearable.

 

“This what you get for not listening!” She yells then breathes heavily. 

 

“Get out of my room,” I glare at her, trying to control my patience. I just got home and this is what I get?

 

“You dare to order me like that?!” Her eyes widen. She’s about to throw another slap but I hold her wrist immediately.

 

“Stop acting like you’re my mom if you still gonna hurt me,” I say as I tighten the hold.

 

She blinks then looks down. “…sorry.”

 

I release her wrist harshly and turn around to close my closet, which she opened before.

 

“Harin…”

 

What again? Her voice irks me already. I let out a sigh as I turn around to face her only to get hit by my study lamp.

 

I feel like my head is in so much pain that I fell on the floor. Slowly, the blood starts to drip down my forehead. What just happened? I never thought she would do something like this. My eyes widen at her in disbelief as she looks down at me.

 

Covering my forehead with my palm, I stand up and run out of my room quickly before she does something insane again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My house has turned into a hell and now this is the only place that makes me feel safe.

 

After getting some water to clean up my forehead, I sit on one of the benches in front of the fountain. I wipe the blood off with my scarf gently. People who pass by look at me in a weird way, I understand though, I probably look like some weird high school student who just got into a fight with my classmates. However, I’m glad that I didn’t shed any tears; I don’t want to cry over that kind of person.  

 

I flinch in surprise as someone covers my head from the back with his jacket. Before I could whirl around, that person already makes his way to sit next to me.

 

“It’s cold.”

 

I look at him and my lips curve into a smile unknowingly. I was so busy wiping my forehead that I let myself freeze in this night.

 

“I didn’t lie, see? I’ve come here to see your show. What time will it start?”

 

He looks to his side to see me and I tilt my head, still smiling. His eyes then travel to my forehead then to the scarf that I’m holding. “Forget about the show. Let me see this,” He tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear to see it clearer. “Who did it?”

 

“I had a fight with my stepmother and she accidentally hit me, I guess. It’s not that bad and I didn’t cry so don’t worry, Wonwoo,” I nod my head to make him sure that I’m okay since I don’t want to be a burden to him.

 

This time, his eyes look straight into my eyes; which makes me blink several times.

 

“Ouch!” I wince as he caresses my wound softly. It’s smarting.

 

“It’s not that ‘bad’?”

 

I feel so speechless right now that I have to look away.  

 

“You big liar,” He laughs lowly.

 

“Excus—“

 

He cuts off by wiping my wound carefully using his handkerchief.  “It’s bleeding again.”

 

I swear this guy is really good at making me speechless.

 

“Wear it,” He takes his jacket from my head and wraps it around my shoulders. “It’s getting colder.”

 

I nod my head and put on his jacket. “Thank you.”

 

“So, why you were fighting with your stepmother?”

 

“I just got home that time and I saw her inside my room, messing with my stuff. You know that I hate it when someone touches my stuff, right?” I raise my brows at him and he nods in understand. “So, I told her to leave my room but then this happened,” I point to my forehead.

 

“That’s so ed up,” He says as he looks up at the night sky, admiring it.

 

Sometimes I wonder; how could I fall with someone who only covers his half face?

 

I, then, find myself smiling as I admire him. “Wonwoo.”

 

“Hm?”

 

From the first time we met until now, I feel like I’m the only who always talks about my problems while he never. “If you have any problems with your family or anything, you can always talk about it with me,” I smile.

 

He stops looking at the sky, turning his head to look at me. “I don’t have.”

 

“Ah, I see,” Well, he’s really lucky. I bet his fam—

 

“I don’t have a family.”

 

 

 

“…I-I’m sorry,” I say. Why did I even ask this kind of question? Now, I feel bad for him.

 

“Sorry for?” He leans his head back against the bench comfortably. “I don’t take this as a negative topic, anyways.”

 

“Are you…really?”

 

He nods his head. “Both of my parents are already gone because of a car accident when I was 9. Since then, I started to take care of myself,” He chuckles. “Life is hard, I know.”

 

“Right. It’s indeed hard.”

 

“But that doesn’t mean I don’t have any goals in my life.” He continues. “You know the reason why I’m becoming a magician?”

 

“Because you want to become a famous magician, maybe?” Okay, no. That answer was kind of stupid.

 

“I don’t need fame,” He scoffs. “It’s actually for one girl.”

 

“Your first love?” I blink, feeling a little bit jealous. That girl must be so lucky.

 

“You can say that.”

 

“She must be really lucky,” I smile.

 

He smirks. “You’re not jealous, aren’t you?”

 

I laugh sarcastically. “Why would I? You’re not the only one who has a first love!”

 

“Oh, you too?” He asks; he doesn’t seem like he believes me. This guy…

 

“Of course.”

 

“I wonder what kind of guy he is,” He replies in a playful tone.

 

It’s you, pabo. I feel my cheeks start to burn out of nowhere just by thinking about Wonwoo. “But he doesn’t notice it, I guess.”

 

“That .”

“Yup. How about you? Why did you want to become a magician for her?”

 

“She likes magic so much that I thought it’s the only way to get her to notice me,” He runs his fingers through his hair. “We met when we were 10 years old.”

 

I nod. “And how’s that work for you?”

 

He cracks a slight smile. “You really want to know?”

 

I laugh awkwardly. I bet he feels annoy since I ask him too much questions… “Of course no, I was just asking, okay.”

 

He pats my head then messes my hair. “Go home. Your dad must be worry about you.”

 

 

“Thank you for today, Wonwoo.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I keep on smiling to my own handwriting ever since I got home. Thanks to Wonwoo, he made my night better. I stare at myself through the little mirror in front of me, pouting slightly. “His crush must be really pretty,” I murmur.

 

“Stop, stop,” I shake my head of unnecessary thoughts, slapping my own cheeks softly. I can’t even do my homework properly.

 

 

 

“Harin.”

 

 

My eyes travel to the door as I heard my dad calls my name. I’m more than sure it’s because of that woman.

 

“Yes, dad. I’m doing my homework now.”

 

“Can I talk to you for a minute?”

 

“Y-yeah, sure.”

 

Actually, I’m not in the mood to talk about what happened between my stepmother and me right now. I smile at him as he enters my room.

 

“Your mom apologized for what happened, she said she didn’t mean it,” He says as he sits on the edge of my bed.

 

I nod my head as I keep doing my homework. “Ah, I see. I accept her apologize then,” I lie. I’ll never forgive that kind of person.

 

“How’s your school today?”

 

“It was alright, dad,” I smile slightly.

 

“Ah, alright.” He says then coughs. “…What do you think of Seoul?”

 

“Seoul? Hm,” I finally turn around my chair to look at him. “It’s beautiful.”

 

“Right,” He nods. “We’re moving there in few days.”

 

I gawk at him. “M-move there? Why?”

 

“For my business project. You’re gonna like it there, I’m sure.” He smiles to make me sure. “And the university you want to enter is located in Seoul too!”

 

He’s right. I’ve always wanting to be a part of Seoul University students ever since I was in grade 10. It’ll be a waste if I don’t take this opportunity. But then again, that means I have to leave Wonwoo…

 

It’s not like I can choose. My dad would probably end up forcing me to move with him, anyways.

 

“It’s already 9. Go sleep, okay?” My dad gets up, heading to the door. I nod my head in response.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The school ended early today, it’s a good thing for me. I adjust the strap of my bag as I look around the crowded place. It’s my favorite day, Thursday.  

 

This street is always crowded but it’s even more crowded today. So many people are selling food, stuff and so on, plus it’s pretty cheap. They hold this kind of event on every Thursday.

 

 

 

 

 

“Buy 1 get 1, hurry before it’s too late!’

 

 

 

I whirl around to the direction of that voice. It’s somehow attracting me. My eyes immediately land on cute little boxes, which the seller holds. Without hesitation, I saunter to her place.

 

 

“How much is that?” I ask as my eyes scan the boxes.

 

“20 won each. Buy 1 get 1 for free!”

 

“Ah…” I nod my head. “Can I take a look at it?”

 

“Sure thing,” She replies while handing me one of the boxes.

 

“What do we place inside?” I ask I hold the box.

 

“Anything. Like for example, your wishes or anything!” She smiles.

 

I nod in understand then smile “I’ll buy it then.”

 

“Good choice! And please choose another item for free.”

 

“I’ll take two of these,” I point to the boxes.

 

“Is there anything else?”

 

Besides those boxes, she also sells unique and rare stuff. Which is pretty cool. After few seconds of scanning through the stuff she sells, my eyes land on the mask that’s hanging.

 

I nod. “Yes. Can I have that one too?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I peek behind a thin wall as I watch him from afar. The show has just finished. Smiling, I carefully take out the mask that I brought to put it on my face. I can’t wait to see his reaction. I slowly approach him.

 

Once I reach him, I poke his shoulder from behind, trying to grab his attention. He turns around with a cold expression. He then folds his arms, looking down at me.

 

“How do I look?” I ask while spreading my arms.

 

His expression breaks into a soft smile. “Cute.”

 

I didn’t expect he would call me that, honestly. So, I blink my eyes at him then smile. “I knew it,” I nod.

 

“Seems like your school ended early today.”

 

“Yup. Let’s go there,” I point to the usual place for us to sit. It’s that bench near the fountain.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“This is so refreshing,” Wonwoo murmurs as he leans back against the bench, folding his hands behind his head. It is indeed refreshing, judging by the cold breeze.

 

I nod my head slightly, eyeing the people walking along the sidewalk. Should I give him the box now? What if he doesn’t like it? I turn my head to look at him and he has his eyes closed already.

 

“Wonwoo,” I call him with a low voice.

 

He’s not answering, he must be really tired. I can’t even imagine living alone without family and I really respect him for that. Sometimes I wonder how’s it feels to work by myself without having my family beside me…

 

I wave my hand in front of his face just to test whether he’s asleep or not.

 

It turns out he’s not sleeping at all. He holds my wrist suddenly and pulls me closer to his chest. And there he goes again, making these butterflies dance happily in my stomach.

 

“Hey…” I whisper as I struggle to release myself. He’s indeed strong.

 

“Hello,” He says casually. I can’t believe this guy. He even encircles his arms around me, making me stuck in his embrace.

 

“People are looking at us,” I poke his hand.

 

“We’re wearing our masks. I don’t think it’s a problem,” He replies. I’ve never been this close to him; I can even feel his heart beating. “And it’s… comfortable,” He continues.

 

I admit it… it’s really comfortable. And it’s also warm. Anyways, I have to give him the box no matter what. “Wonwoo.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I…need to…pee.”

 

A chuckle escapes his lips. “Fine. As you like,” He unwraps his arms from me.

 

I stretch my hands. “Just kidding~”

 

He scoffs. “You really know how to break the atmosphere.”

 

“I’m a pro at it,” I laugh and I can see he flashes a smile too. “Anyways, I have something for you!”

 

“What is it? Oh, I’m so exciting,” He asks sarcastically with his emotionless expression, which makes me roll my eyes.

 

“You should be because this thing is so cute.”

 

“Alright, show me the ‘cute’ thing you brought,” He emphasizes the word ‘cute’. I hate him sometimes, I swear.

 

I take out the boxes slowly out of my backpack. “Ta-dah” Smiling, I wave it in front of his face “What do you think?”

 

“Let me see,” He shows his hand for me to place the box on it. “What do we put in it?”

 

“We can put our secrets, truth or whatever,” I smile. “I got an idea! First, we write on a piece of paper, roll it and then we put it inside.”

 

“After that?”

 

“After that, we’ll exchange our boxes so that you can read mine and I’ll read yours,” I say. I lift my head to see him and it seems like he’s been looking into my eyes all this time, I realize that I’ve talked too much. “W-what do you think? Oh, and we’ll exchange our boxes next year.”

 

“Wait, wait. Next year?” He ruffles his hair. “You sound like you’re moving somewhere.”

 

“Wonwoo, remember the university I told you before?”

 

He nods. “Seoul University? Yeah I remember.”

 

“My dad finally allows me to enter there!”

 

He stays quiet, a cold expression on his face. Did I say something wrong? I straighten my sitting position and look down at my lap.

 

“Good luck, hm?” I feel my chin suddenly being lift up by Wonwoo’s finger. A soft smile plasters on his face then he releases my chin. “That’s a really good opportunity for you. Don’t let it go.”

 

I nod. “I’m sure you have dream or ambition too. I hope you keep on fighting for it,” I say, smiling.

 

“But, why must we open it next year, though?”

 

“So that the box will be full of rolled papers!”

 

“Isn’t that too long?” He scoffs. “ Fine then.”

 

“Promise?” I ask, holding out my pinky finger.

 

“Promise,” He wraps his pinky finger with mine. “Don’t forget to ask your dad to give your phone back to you.”

I snap my finger. “Sure, I will!”

 

“Or else we won’t get in touch,” He says and I nod my head.

 

“I’m gonna miss this place so much,” I smile as I look around the place.

 

“Hm.”

 

I look up the sky and inhale a huge gust of air but suddenly my asthma stops my lungs from breathing in. I start to breath heavily and loudly while my hands trying to zip open my backpack.

 

Wonwoo notices it immediately. Without saying anything, he helps me and searches for my inhaler. Once he finds it, he shakes the inhaler and places the opening into my mouth. After inhaling it, I finally can breath normally again.

 

“Thank you,” I say. It’s not the first time he helps me like this, he already know I have asthma.

 

“It’s nothing.”

 

After that, a silence appears between us, not the awkward one. He’s the type of person who doesn’t talk a lot, I understand. I smile to myself as I swing my feet slowly.

 

 

 

He let out a deep breath. “I want to kiss.”

 

 

I widen my eyes immediately as I stare at him speechless. Did I hear that right?

 

He turns his head to me, chuckling lowly. “Forget it.”

 

I nod my head in reply; still don’t know how to react.

 

“I think I have to show you something too,” He gets up from the bench and signals me to follow him somewhere.

 

 

 

I follow him until he pulls me behind two huge walls. To be honest, it’s pretty dark but I still can see him. He then makes me to stand in front of him.

 

“What do you want to show me?” I ask curiously.

 

He shoves his hands into his pockets. “Can you promise me too?”

 

“Promise you with what?” I tilt my head in confusion.

 

“Don’t avoid me after this.”

 

I smile as I hit his chest lightly. “What are you saying? I won’t ever avoid you, okay?”

“Remember when I told you the reason why I became a magician?”

 

I nod.

 

“That girl is you.”

 

I look at him flatly; I don’t really get him this time. He told me that his crush was his childhood friend but I just met him 7 months ago. Wait…don’t tell me he—

 

“Dang it. I seem like a creepy person now,” He looks away.

 

“Wonwoo,” I murmur. There’s only one way to find out. I look up at him as I reach my hands to his face. I can do it. He looks down into my eyes flatly like he already knows what I’m about to do. Carefully, I take off his mask.

 

I blink, eyes widening in surprise as I recognize his face somewhere.

 

 

 

 

Flashback. // 7 years ago.

 

 

 

“Abracadabra!” I say as I point my magic stick at the whiteboard in front of the class. Wait, why is it not working?

 

“I see nothing,” Someone says out loud. Now everyone is staring at me.

 

I let out an awkward laugh. “There must be something wrong with my magic stick,” I rub my head.

 

“That’s not how you do it.”

 

I turn my head to the owner of the voice. Woobin, the kid who sits in the last corner, he has his arms folded.

 

 

End of flashback.

[a/n . Wonwoo + Beanie = Woobin. ]

 

 

 

“Woobin…” I search his eyes. It’s been a long time. I can’t believe he’s my childhood friend, why I never realized it?!

 

“That’s not my actual name.”

 

“W…why? What’s wrong?” It’s kind of unfair thinking how I’ve always talked about my secrets, life and so on while he never told me anything. I just want to get to know him more.

 

“I was born as Wonwoo. Woobin is just a name my uncle used to call me since it reminds him of his dead son, that’s why I lived as Woobin for the good two years,” He says. “I was living with my uncle too that time. He wanted me to be his son ever since my parents left.”

 

“Anything else you want to say? I’ll be a good listener,” I smile. Somehow, I’m happy to hear him saying things like this. “And, how’s your uncle now?”

 

I look at him. I’m actually amazed at how his face didn’t change at all, his looks is still as good as before. The only thing that changed is probably his height.

 

“You’re not mad?”

 

I shake my head. “Why would I? Okay, next question, how did you find or know it’s me?

 

He scoffs. “You were the one who found me. You were busy walking that time then stopped in front of my show.”

 

I mentally facepalm myself, he’s right. “Next question, where’s your school?” I honestly don’t understand why I’m asking this, it just pops out of my head.

 

“It’s far from here.”

 

I nod. “Next question, where’s your uncle now?”

 

“Gone,” He shrugs. “Any other questions?” He asks with emotionless.

 

“Hm. Let me think,” I fold my arms, pretending to think. I actually don’t have any questions left.

 

Then it hit me, my dad told me this morning to come home earlier so that I could help him packing up. I glance at my watch and widen my eyes. “I…have to go,” I say.

 

I turn around and about to walk away but he suddenly stops me by grabbing my arm. He then pulls me closer and gently pushes me against the wall behind me. I look at his eyes with my mouth slightly agape.

 

“Can you stay a little bit longer,” He says with his deep voice lowly. Slowly, he brings his face closer to mine as he places his hand against the wall beside me. I feel like I’m already lost in his eyes. He continues by putting his free hand behind my neck and pulls me into a deep kiss.

 

I feel the butterflies in my stomach start moving around. I can’t believe this is happening.

 

Wonwoo pulls away from the kiss slowly. I immediately look down, trying to hide my red cheeks.

 

“Sorry.”

 

I nod, still looking down. I should act like I’m happy right now instead being shy like this, seriously! Wake up, Harin, your crush just kissed you.

 

“You’re blushing,” He pokes my cheek with his finger. Am I being too obvious?

 

“How can I not blushing after you did that?!” I ask a bit louder.

 

“Hm,” He rubs the back of his neck. “Should I give it back then?”

 

“Uh… I didn’t…” I just want to slap my self for not speaking like normally.

 

He let out a light chuckle before patting my head. “You’re really adorable. I was kidding.”

I scoff and glance at my watch once again. “I really have to go now…”

 

He nods. “So…we’ll meet next year?”

 

“Next year. Same place and same date.”

 

“Why can’t we meet at least once a month?”

 

“You know how far Seoul is and my dad doesn’t really like it when I go alone…” I smile. Wonwoo already knows how strict my dad is. Well, he literally knows everything about me.

 

“Alright. See you…” He smiles. “…Next year.”

 

“Next year. Goodbye!” I start to walk away, leaving him behind.

 

“Fighting!”

 

“Let’s achieve our dreams together!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After 10 months.

 

 

 

 

Everything is a mess.

 

This is not what I expected.

 

 

It’s a total mess. Ever since I moved to Seoul, I thought everything is getting better. I was wrong.

 

My dad’s company got bankrupt and he left me to find a job overseas, I’m left with my stepmother. It’s getting worse everyday. My dream has been shattered; I can’t go to Seoul University or any other universities since my dad doesn’t have any money left. Working is the only thing I can do right now since I’ve graduated from high school.

 

I didn’t expect this at all. I just wanna go back to my previous place but I can’t. I even sold my phone so that I can have enough money to live for myself and it’s been a month since the last time I texted Wonwoo. I’ve lost contact with him. But I’ll still wait patiently until the day we open our boxes, which is 2 months more.

 

I write down something on a piece of small paper and roll it. It’s already my daily routine to write anything and place it inside my box. I hope Wonwoo does the same.

 

Once I put the rolled paper inside the box, I put back my pencil to its place then let my head rest on my arms, which are on my desk. It’s already 11 at night. I smile to myself as my heavy eyelids slowly closing my eyes and drift off into a slumber.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I wake up after a warm sunlight hits my face.  Stretching my arms out, I let out a yawn and try to open my eyes clearly so that I can see what time is it now.

 

“9 AM?!”

 

It’s weird. I always set my alarm on 6 am but I feel like it didn’t ring this morning. I get up and my eyes land on my opened door immediately. It must be her. My stepmother probably just went here.

 

I have no time to think about her since I’m already late to my work. I make my way to my bathroom and take a quick bath.

 

After that, I put on my work uniform and comb my hair fast. I grab my bag and quickly go downstairs to exit the house.

 

 

 

No buses left and I’ve been running for twenty minutes now. I have to catch up this time or else I’ll get fired. I increase my running speed as fast as I can until my asthma attacks me again.

 

I stop running and start to walk slowly as I clutch my chest, inhaling and exhaling the air fast. Zipping open my bag, I try to look for my inhaler.

 

“W…where is it,” I breath heavily, coughing a little bit. I can’t take it anymore. I hold my bag upside down and let the bag inside fall on the ground.

It’s not there.

 

I feel like crying and I can’t even talk clearly. I clutch my chest as I suddenly collapse onto the ground. People stop walking to approach me.

 

 

 

“Get her the inhaler!”

 

“Someone help this girl!”

 

“Call ambulance!”

 

 

I keep on breathing heavily as I force my hand to travel to my sticky note and write something on it. I look to my side and there it is, the box. Without hesitation, I crumple the paper in a fist and place it into the box. I did it.

 

I inhale and exhale with my mouth wide open, trying so hard to get some oxygen.

 

 

“Try to breath slowly.”

 

“We called an ambulance already.”

 

“Miss?”

 

 

“Miss, do you hear me?”

 

 

 

“Miss…”

 

 

 

I feel like everything has stopped and suddenly goes blank.

 

 

 

 

 

….

 

 

 

 

It’s been two months.

 

She’s gone but he still doesn’t know that.

 

What he knows is that she’s living a perfect life. What he knows is that she’s one more step to achieve her dream. And, what he knows is that she’s happy.

 

Everything is the opposite.

 

 

Wonwoo stares at his phone’s screen, still waiting for Harin to text him back cause tomorrow is the day they’re going to exchange their boxes. He keeps all the negative feelings away and just thinks that she’s busy with her university life.

 

He holds up the box that’s filled with everything he wrote and looks at it emotionless. “It’s been a year. Finally, we’ll meet tomorrow,” He says as he lies on his bed.

 

 

 

 

….

 

 

 

 

 

A gentle wind passes through his body as he sits on the bench in front of the fountain, the place where she promised him to meet. He keeps on waiting patiently even though it’s been 8 hours.

 

Besides the box, Wonwoo also has a small bouquet of flowers with him; it’s to congratulate her for getting into her favorite university.

 

He looks up the sky as it starts getting darker. “Harin, you’re coming, right?” He murmurs quietly to himself.

 

He glances at the clock on his phone then shoves it into his pocket again.

 

 

Two hours has passed and he decides to get up from the bench. He thinks that she’s too busy doing her assignments that she forgot to come. It’s not really a problem to him. Heck, he has experienced it before, waiting for Harin to notice him after five years or more.

 

Instead of staying there, he plans to go to see her himself.

 

 

 

 

 

….

 

 

 

Seoul.

 

 

Wonwoo looks around the place that’s a bit strange to him since he only went to Seoul three times and that was when he was a kid. He scrolls through the text messages to look for Harin’s address, which she sent right after she arrived to Seoul.

 

There are only two things inside his backpack, the bouquet of flowers and the little box. His only intention is to see her.

 

Once he reaches her place. He can’t help but to feel a bit surprised. It’s way too different from her previous place. Back then, she lives in a huge mansion and now the house in front of him seems fit to only three people.

 

Without hesitation, he knocks on the door. The door opens after he knocks it four times, revealing an old mad who’s shorter than him.

 

“Hello, sir,” He says as he recognizes it right away that he’s her dad.

 

“You seem familiar,” Harin’s dad nods.

 

“I’m Harin’s friend,” Wonwoo smiles slightly.

 

“Ah,” He nods once again. “What do you want to do here?”

 

“To see your daughter.”

 

 

 

“She passed away two months ago.”

 

 

Wonwoo looks down the old man in disbelief. “No way. You’re not serious,” He doesn’t believe him at all.

 

“I am…”

 

He doesn’t know what to say anymore since he’s speechless. Wonwoo scoffs then ruffles his hair. He can feel his heart shattered.

 

“You’re…Wonwoo?” Harin’s dad raises his brows. “She left something for you,” He shows him the little box.

 

Wonwoo weakly takes the box from Harin’s dad and holds it tightly. “Can I see her.”

 

“Hm,” Harin’s dad nods his head as a response.

 

 

 

….

 

 

 

 

Wonwoo stands in front of her grave. He stares at it flatly; it feels like he just talked to her yesterday and now she’s already gone.

 

He suddenly falls on his knees, letting out all his tears that he was holding. “You didn’t even keep your promise.”

 

“Now who’s going to open my box and read it?” He places the flowers he brought yesterday on Harin’s grave and caresses it. 

 

“Goodbye, Harin.”

 

 

 

 

….

 

 

 

 

 

I’ll always stay by your side.

 

 

 

 

Wonwoo sits on the usual bench, holding the boxes on his hands. He’s been staring at it for a long time. All the memories he has with her keep flashing back and forth on his head.

 

 

 

“Let’s achieve our dream together!”

 

 

How can I achieve my dream when it’s gone already. He thought. He has been liking her since they were ten years old. Since then, he started to learn all the magic stuff to make her notice him.

 

Carefully, he opens her box and starts to read everything.

 

 

 

- Wonwoo, I lied. I’m not happy.

 

 

- I can’t reach my dream. I hope you can reach yours. Fighting.

 

 

- Dad’s company got bankrupt. T^T

 

 

- I miss you. Do you miss me?

 

 

- Just like you said, life is unfair.

 

 

- I can’t believe you tricked me all this time, Woobin. -_-

 

 

- I can’t enter Seoul University. I’m done.

 

 

- Please, please! Make my stepmother stop yelling!

 

- …

 

- …

 

 

 

After an hour of opening and reading her papers, his tears start to flow down to his cheeks. He places his palm to cover his eyes as his heart aches so much it hurts.

 

He wipes the tears away and travels his eyes to the box again. One more rolled paper left. He unrolls the last one and reads with it his red eyes.

 

 

 

 

Wonwoo, please live happily.

You must achieve your dream, remember that’s our promise too.

I love you. Goodbye.

 

 

 

 

That’s the last one which she wrote before she died.

 

 

Wonwoo rolls all the papers again and places it back into the box. He looks up to the sky as snowflakes start to fall onto the ground.

 

 

 

She’s gone but that doesn’t stop me from loving her.

 

 

The End.

 

 


 

 

Woah, it's probably the longest oneshot i've ever wrote :0 sorry for the mistakes, sorry if it is too fast also! Leave a comment or questions if you have any ^^ You can subs / upvote too but im not forcing you . Thank you~!

Check out the trailer i made for this ff!