Confession through a Poem

Confession Through a Poem

I was staring outside the window of our classroom. Everyone else was so attentive in our lesson, well, not entirely everyone was attentive. I saw some students sleeping while some were just staring blankly at our teacher. Bored, I stood up and gestured to our teacher that I’ll go out. I went to the cafeteria and ate some snacks. I knew, I’ll be scolded for cutting classes, but still I continue to take time in eating my food. When I came back to the room, as expected, my teacher asked me what took me so long.

“I’m really sorry Mrs. Song. I’m on my way to the room when I found out that I lost my phone, I searched for it, and found it in the comfort room. That’s the reason what took me so long Mrs. Song” I lied.

Mrs. Song motioned me to return to my seat. As I walked to my seat, I noticed, Sandeul and Baro were busy doodling and at the same time laughing at the doodles they made.



After class, Yeon Neul asked me to go with her and Soo Jin to Sung Jung’s house. They said Sung Jung will have a celebration. I declined their invitation and went straight home because I was the one assigned to make the dinner. When I was walking home, a cat passed by me and suddenly it reminded me of what Baro and Sandeul were doodling. I can’t stop from chuckling, remembering their faces when our teacher saw their doodles. They were scolded and asked to remain after class to clean the room. I was still chuckling when I entered our house. My mother was bewildered when she saw me chuckling.

“What happened to you, Hyun Mi? Are you ok?” she asked as she touched my forehead.

I shoved her hand and said with a smile, “I’m ok mom. I’ll tell everything during dinner”

I went up straight to my room, changed my clothes and went down to prepare the dinner.



“Like I said, I really don’t know why our teacher got mad at them. Their doodles were funny in a cute way. I think they should be in the Art Club than in the Theater Club” I explained, after I swallowed my food.

“But still, Hyun Mi, what they did was not right. They were doing something else instead of listening to the teacher’s discussion, plus, it’s not right to make fun of others. If I was in the teacher’s shoes, I would also do that to them. I would be embarrassed if I saw a portrait of mine, with my head on cat’s body” my mom reasoned out.

“Not to mention, with a pitch fork on the right hand and whip on the left hand” I added animatedly.

“Hey Hyun Mi, I just noticed every time you arrived home, another story of that Sandeul is heard from you. Hmmm … I smell something fishy…” my sister teased.

She kept on nudging me until I speak up,

“Sandeul’s just my classmate… my funny classmate and--- “

“Yeah, a classmate since grade school” my sister cut in.

“He’s just my classmate. He’s funny and nice, but we really didn’t talk that much. I just want to share the events happened at school. I think there’s nothing wrong with that, isn’t it?” I grinned at my sister.

My mother just sighed and told my sister to clean up the table and wash the dishes. I stuck out my tongue at her and went directly to my room. I laughed at my sister’s reaction of her washing the dishes. Her disgusted reaction made me feel like a champion. My happiness disappeared when I saw our group picture from Sung Jung’s party on my study table.

“Why am I feeling this way? Something’s not right. It hurts. I’m so puzzled. Why? Hyun Mi why? That event was 2 months ago. Why do you still feel so jealous of Sung Jung when she danced with Sandeul? Why?! You don’t care if he likes Sung Jung … I DON’T CARE!” I said to myself while looking at my reflection. I didn’t realize that I shouted the last words. My mother rushed to my room when she heard a shout. I told her that it was just my alarm tone.



I arrived at school earlier than the usual and Soo Jin arrived few minutes after. She was a bit disappointed at me because I didn’t go with them yesterday.

“I’m really sorry Soo Jin. If I’m not the one assigned to do the dinner, I would have gone with you. By the way, what’s her reason of celebrating?” I asked Soo Jin who was slowly making a grin on her face.

“Baro just confessed to Sung Jung on Christmas Day at exactly 12 midnight! Can you believe it?! That dork has feelings for our Sung Jung” she told me animatedly.

“Omo! Really?! So, are they a couple now?” I asked.

“Hmm …yeah, Sung Jung said yes to him yesterday. But that girl just lied for us to go her house yesterday. She’s so innocent when it comes to these things and that’s her reason for inviting us, to help her to be a good girlfriend to Baro” she explained.

Soo Jin’s news brought me great joy, maybe because Sung Jung’s already taken. It lighted my spirit and made me wish that someday, we could be together, like Sung Jung and Baro.



One week after

The school was busy preparing for the Valentine’s Day. Everyone in our room was busy making cards and different heart decorations to put in our bulletin board. Since I was done making heart decorations, I decided to write a poem. When I was about to put it inside my bag, a gust of wind blew my poem away. I chased it and it landed on the floor. I bend to pick it up, but someone got it first. I turned red when I looked up. It was Sandeul.

“Oh! Hi Hyun Mi” he greeted. He showed to me my paper. “Is this yours?”

“H-Hi S-Sandeul” I stuttered and nodded.
He was about to give it to me but then he stopped and glanced at the paper. He smiled and asked if he could read it. My heart was beating fast as he read my poem.

Oh Gosh! What will I do?! I hope he’ll not think it’s about him. Please, Please!

He finished reading and handed back my poem. “It’s nice. I think it should be part in our school magazine” he said with a smile.

I just smiled and nodded at him.

“Whoa~ Hey! Hyung, I think you’re the subject in this poem. Look, read again” a soft voice behind my back said then grabbed the poem and gave to Sandeul.

I Love You?


Classmates since grade school

But our relationship isn’t that cool

He’s the one who always makes fun

I laugh hard, though it’s only a pun


Cried so much because of his joke

Not to mention that I almost choke

Laughter is really the best medicine

But I dunno what happened to this scene


My heart smiles whenever I see him

It sings out loud my love hymn…

Oh my! Am I in love?

I think I should fly away like a dove

Grr … Bad Channie … why?! Omo! Is Sandeul blushing? Please stop reading. Deulie stop it. 

“Jinyoung hyung, Shinwoo hyung, Baro hyung, look, Sandeul hyung is blushing. He’s blushing because Hyun Mi made a poem for him!” Gongchan giggled and called out his hyungs who were decorating the bulletin.

“Really?! Let us see!” the 3 responded together and rushed towards us.

Oh gosh! What have I done? I should’ve not written that poem. I’m super busted. T_T