01.

Don’t Let Go of My Hand as You’re Holding It In Yours

The night wind blows through the open space, and despite being hidden behind one of the building’s pillar, it still bites through Kyungsoo’s skin to his bone. He thightens the leather jacket around him, mind still focusing on the movement he hears from his earpiece. He reaches a hand to his back, making sure the gun is on its place.

 

The open area where the firearms trading will happen today is void of people, but understandable seeing that it’s now past eleven o’clock at night. The empty area will make sure there will be less witnesses around. Only few passerbies are seen going inside, the cinema in the building is still open until after midnight. If he’s not on duty tonight, he would’ve joined the others to go watch a movie. It’s been a while since he last watched a movie and a rest is definitely welcomed for him.

 

“Agent Suho reporting to Agent D.O, the coast is clear.” A voice comes shakily through the earpiece, and Kyungsoo looks around again. “The target is not seen yet, but I think I see the guy who brings the gun. Black shirt with dark jeans, 3 o’clock.” Kyungsoo shifts his gaze to the direction Suho told him and there he is, the guy that will be the key point for them to finish the mission tonight. The guy seems unaware with his surroundings and not noticing that there are agents watching for him, which is good. Kyungsoo eyes the duffel bag on the guy’s feet, it must be the firearms that will be traded tonight.

 

His eyes are still assessing the surrounding for any potential move of their target when his phone buzzes low on his pocket. He ignores it, knowing that it’s not important because it certainly won’t be from his agency. They know that he’s on a misson tonight. After a while, the buzz subsides. He clearly doesn’t expect another buzz not so long after that.

 

Whoever calling him is a stubborn person. Because not long after that, Kyungsoo's phone buzzes again.

 

Two buzzes with five seconds interval, followed with long buzzes after ten seconds. Two messages and a call.

 

Kyungsoo pries his eyes off the target for a while after realizing it’s Chanyeol who is calling him. They made some kind of a code between them two after living together, a sign for help whenever the other needs it. Chanyeol knows that he’s on a mission tonight, and the fact that the other is trying to contact him is worrying.

 

Did something happen at home while he's away?

 

In the end, he switches on his bluetooth hands-free device to answer the call. “Hello?” He whispers, eyeing the firearm guy for any reaction. Thankfully, the guy can’t hear Kyungsoo from the distance. “Kyungsoo, I need your help…” Chanyeol answers and Kyungsoo notices the panic tone on the other’s voice.

 

“Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo calls, “Chanyeol, what happened?”

 

“I’m so sorry for calling you in the middle of mission but I don’t know what to do I’m so clueless like I’ve never felt this helpless throughout my entire life.” Chanyeol rambles, sounds of cabinets opening and closing are heard on the background.

 

“Kyungsoo, do you know where I put beomshil’s food?”

 

“Agent Lay to all, target is locked! Area is clear! GO IN NOW!” Lay’s command is roaring through the earpiece and Kyungsoo grabs his GK17 one second too late. And here he thought that Chanyeol would call for something important. He should've not expected more from Chanyeol.

 

 

Thankfully, there aren’t too much bodyguards with the firearm guy and the target. And from the late reaction he's seeing from them, Kyungsoo can tell they're new.

 

With one hand holding his GK17 as he runs toward the target, Kyungsoo makes a mental note to poison Chanyeol’s breakfast the next morning.

 

“Chanyeol, I’ll see you when I get home and try to pray for your soul from right now because I’m so going to kill you in your sleep tonight.”

 

He doesn’t end the call. He lets Chanyeol hears how he hisses the latter’s name everytime he punches another bodyguard down.

 

🔒

 

Chanyeol ducks his head behind the sofa again, the shadow from the front door is now heading to the living room. Chanyeol curls to himself more and more, trying to fold his gangly limbs close to his chest so they won’t stick out from behind the sofa. When he called Kyungsoo a few hours ago, he clearly was not thinking straight. But, beomshil was hungry and Chanyeol couldn’t bear to see their puppy in such a miserable state just because Chanyeol couldn’t find the goddamn dog food. So, in his panicky state, he thought the only way to his problem was to call Kyungsoo. Who was clearly in the middle of a mission. In the end, he decided to run to the grocery store in the lobby of their apartment to grab Beomshil’s dog food. Which he should’ve done from the start.

 

But, he was panicking! Kyungsoo will forgive him…. He will understand…. Right?

 

A sudden pain on his left ear pulls him out of his wandering thoughts. Him screaming in pain only feeds on Kyungsoo’s happiness as the smaller brings him out from behind the sofa by pulling on his ear.

 

"Now, now, now. For a well-trained agent like you, you surely bad at hiding yourself. Hmm?”

 

"Kyungsoo, please, please!” Chanyeol’s pleading goes unheard as a jab lands on his stomach, making him falls onto the sofa. Kyungsoo is quick to climb and straddle him. Not forgetting to lock both of Chanyeol’s wrist on his sides with his deathly grip. He’s clearly enjoying the view of the struggling giant. “Mind to explain me what the call was all about? I nearly missed the target just because of your important call.” Kyungsoo hisses the last three words at Chanyeol’s ears as he lands a pinch on Chanyeol’s waist, making the taller screaming.

 

"There’s better be a decent explanation about how important that was.”

 

Chanyeol sees the opportunity at Kyungsoo’s rage outburst and in turn grabbing Kyungsoo’s wrist before flipping them both, changing their position with now Kyungsoo lying on the sofa and Chanyeol hovering above him. Kyungsoo trashes in his hold but Chanyeol makes use of his strong thighs to keep Kyungsoo from escaping.

 

“Listen to me, listen to me.” At that, Kyungsoo stops moving and starring at Chanyeol’s eyes intensely. If this is somekind of cheesy romance movie, their compromising position will be accompanied a slow sensual music played in the background as their face get closer to each other's.

 

But they're not in a cheesy romantic movie, nor they're a couple.

 

"I panicked. Beomshil was hungry. I can't stand seeing him looking at me so pitifully and crying--"

 

"Chanyeol, Beomshil is a dog. He can't cry--"

 

"--and just imagine how I felt like a terrible dad and--"

 

"Chanyeol--"

 

"--and I didn't have any other option but to call you. I panicked. I was wrong. I am a terrible owner of a dog. I should be jailed, I should be sentenced because I can't even keep our puppy happy!"

 

Kyungsoo face palms. "You're over-reacting."

 

"No! I'm not!" Chanyeol retorts as he grabs the tissue box from the coffee table and dabs at the non-existent tears on his cheeks. "Please say my regards to Kris, he's been such a great boss and I'm sorry I'm quitting because of such a shameful act."

 

Kyungsoo sighs to himself at the scene in front of him, he spares a glance at the clock. 2 a.m in the morning. It's either too late or too early for him to deal with Chanyeol's act that will put any makjang drama writer to shame. He still has to check in to the headquarters about tonight's mission early in the morning.

 

"Okay, Chanyeol. I forgive you." At that, Chanyeol's act dissapears in a split second, replaced with a big grin that almost splits his face into two. Kyungsoo almost laughs at how comical his face can be. Why did Chanyeol get accepted as an agent again? Ah yeah, his profile says “great acting ability and good at close combat”. Great acting, my .

 

"Really?" Chanyeol beams, "My husband is so understanding" Kyungsoo's hand reacts by itself at the nickname and lands on the male's head, slapping some sense into the giant's head.

 

"Don't husband me! We're not even outside.." Kyungsoo grumbles as he stands up and heads to the kitchen to fetch a glass of water. He probably needs an aspirin too, because he can feel the headache coming with how Chanyeol keeps chanting that “My husband is the best!”.

 

🔒

 

 

Kyungsoo and Chanyeol met three years ago at the spy agency they're working right now. Chanyeol was already two years ahead of him, but that didn't mean Kyungsoo was hesitant when the other challenged him on a close combat duel on one fine Saturday evening practice session.

 

Kyungsoo might be smaller than Chanyeol, but fifteen minutes into the match, he had Chanyeol pinned down on the floor and the taller admitted defeat. Kyungsoo was all smug about that (even until this day he still teases Chanyeol about it), but he also recognized the man's strength and abilities.

 

They somehow had a rocky start, but their friendship bloomed quickly. They started to get paired up in missions that made them spent hours, days and even months together, giving them time to know (and annoy) each other.

 

One day, a storm hit the city and Chanyeol was woken up to the knock on the door. He almost wanted to ignore and buried himself deeper on his blanket if only the knock stopped right then. The person on the other side of the door was really persistent (which reminded Chanyeol of someone, he grumbled as he made his way out), so Chanyeol decided to see who it was. His mouth was ready to curse whoever it is with every languange imaginable.

 

The sight of drenched Kyungsoo still in his usual black outfit (clearly just got back from headquarters) was clearly not the sight he expected. All the thoughts of cursing went out of his head immediately as he took in the sight of Kyungsoo shivering, lips and fingertips blue and hair still dripping water.

 

"What......"

 

"I'll.. I'll explain later," Kyungsoo croaked out, his voice shaking with the cold. "Can I go inside, first? I can't really stand the cold."

 

Chanyeol nodded dumbly as he stood aside to make way for Kyungsoo. He knew how much Kyungsoo can't stand cold from their mission together in Iceland a year ago. The smaller never admitted it, but Chanyeol would always lay another blanket on him as the night grew darker so Kyungsoo would stop shaking in his sleep.

 

When Kyungsoo passed him then he realized little brown puddle following the other. In the same state as it's owner was Beomshil, Kyungsoo's pomeranian. Chanyeol dropped down immediately to take the dog to his arms, running his palm over and over to share the heat.

 

Kyungsoo shed his wet bomber jacket as soon as he stepped inside the warm room, and went straight to Chanyeol's room to pick up some clothes. Fortunately, Kyungsoo often crashed at the taller's place when it got too late or he just got so lazy to get back to his place, so Kyungsoo left some spare clothes in Chanyeol's closet (despite the other’s protest).

 

They sat down on the couch fifteen minutes later, Chanyeol had put Beomshil on a makeshift dog-bed near the heater and the dog slept peacefully. The rain was showing no sign of stopping outside, Chanyeol winced when the lighting particularly hard and loud.

 

"What happened?" Chanyeol asked in between his sips of hot chocolate.

 

Kyungsoo sighs, his face troubled. "I just went home after work when I found out... That my house is not like what it was anymore.. You remember the huge tree in front of my house?"

 

Chanyeol nodded, "The wind must be really strong, because the tree fell over. Right on top of my house."

 

"......."

 

"Surprising, I know. Thank God, it didnt fell on Beomshil. I found him drenched outside on the porch for God knows how long." Kyungsoo sighed as he massaged his temples, " I have another briefing for a new mission tomorrow.... Why of all times it has to be right now.."

 

Chanyeol put down his mug on the coffee table and hoisted Kyungsoo up from his seat, startling the latter. Kyungsoo could only looked at him confusedly as Chanyeol dragged him to his room and sat him down on the bed.

 

"You are going to sleep, and tomorrow we'll take care the insurance for your house or even search for a new one after you're done with the briefing."

 

"But, Chanyeol! The bed--"

 

"No, you are sleeping on the bed tonight, I'll go with the couch. You've had rougher night." Chanyeol said, and his tone left no space for argument. "Besides, Beomshil can really use someone to accompany him. He must be missing me a lot!"

 

For the first time that day, Kyungsoo smiled. "Thank you, Chanyeol."

 

"You're welcome. Now, sleep!"

 

🔒

 

 

Taking care of insurance was hard and so time consuming, which Kyungsoo and Chanyeol's didn't have much patient at. They just got home from the insurance company for the umpteenth attempt to fix Kyungsoo's house as soon as possible, because the two would leave for Santorini for a mission in a few weeks (they don't tell the insurance company about that, of course) and they couldn't be sure until when. Heck, they couldn't even be sure whether they would get back safely or not.

 

"I'm so sorry I would be staying at your place for another day, Chanyeol." Kyungsoo said, closing his eyes for a second as fatigue took over him. He could feel himself getting old faster by the day, with the overloaded stress.

 

"It's okay, really. Friends help each other, don't they?" Chanyeol stood right up, wanting to go take a shower. And maybe sleep right after. But he knew Kyungsoo would scold him and told him to eat first.

 

He was going to walk down the corridor to the bathroom when his brain realized something and an idea popped inside his mind, "Kyungsoo, why don't you just move here?"

 

 

🔒

 

 

The immediate answer from Kyungsoo was an automatic “No”, which Chanyeol frowned at. Really, Kyungsoo moving in would just make everything easier! They didn’t have to face the insurance worker ever again (well, maybe still have to. But no urgency!), and Kyungsoo crashed at his place every now and then too. What’s the problem with moving in? Chanyeol didn’t see any problem with that. But Kyungsoo clearly did.

 

“It’s not the same, Chanyeol. Crashing to just sleep and moving in for real is different.” Kyungsoo said and buried himself into the report on his hands again. Jongin and the others who were watching from the side only snickered at the wo.

 

“Guys, I don’t think I’ve heard someone proposing but what is this thing I heard about moving in?” Baekhyun piped out from his table. “Finally someone has the ball to confess?! Jongdae! You owe me 20 bucks!”

 

“You guys are betting on me and Chanyeol?” Kyungsoo shot them an unimpressed look, “What is there to bet?”

 

Chanyeol huffed at how Kyungsoo was distracted for the main problem at hand, “Come on, Soo! It will be easier! I have a spare room, and my apartment is pretty big for two persons and Beomshil! And one thing for sure we don’t have to stay at each other’s apartment again when one of us is going for mission! So when you’re away, I won’t forget to feed Beomshil again and when I’m away you won’t forget to water my cactus again! Isn’t that wonderful?”

 

Cue fake crying sound from behind and Chanyeol turned around to see Joonmyeon wiped away the non-existent tears on his eyes, “Sehun, can you see them? They’re being all domestic, I can’t believe my babies are all grown ups!”

 

Kyungsoo could only roll his eyes at his friend’s crazy antics and sighed, he didnt really have much choice, did he?

 

“Okay, fine. That doesn’t sound too bad.”

 

🔐

 

The first two months living with Chanyeol passed by without any problem, and Kyungsoo was happy with everything. He didn’t have to worry about the fridge being empty when he got back from work. He didn’t have to worry about who would feed Beomshil and walk him around when he’s away. He didn’t have to worry about the dusts and cobwebs on the wall because Chanyeol could pretty much do basic housework (just don’t let him be close to plates or anything easily breakable… Just… Don’t.)

 

The only problem came one morning when Kyungsoo went to throw the trash out. He was on his way back when he met an old lady and he didn’t forget to smile at her, remembering her as his neighbor that lived two door beside him. The old lady recognized him as well, seeing how she replied his smile. They walked in a comfortable silence, and Kyungsoo was about to say goodbye to the old lady when she grabbed at his arm and told him to wait as she went inside her unit.

 

Kyungsoo was left dumbfounded on the hallway, but he decided to wait for the old lady to come back out because he didn’t want to appear rude. His caretaker on the foster home taught him basic manner and ettiquete and he didn’t want her effort to go to waste.

 

Not long after, the old lady came out of her unit and shoved two plastic containers of food into his hands, “For you and your husband this morning. Eat this for breakfast, okay?”

 

Husband.

 

HUSBAND.

 

🔒

 

“They thought we are husbands, Chanyeol!” Kyungsoo said frustratedly, throwing himself to the chairs. Chanyeol only yawned and laid back on the sofa in the room, that morning’s breakfast given by the nice lady was very nice, he was full and he started to get drowsy again.

 

The door to the office opened and Sehun came in with box of donuts on one hand and tray of coffees on the other, juggling both of them like he was in some circus show. He stopped and put the donuts on his table when he noticed Kyungsoo’s grumpy face and the lack of Chanyeol’s voice, ‘What are they fighting about, this time?”

 

Baekhyun, who always felt like it’s in his job description to annoy the hell out of Kyungsoo, appeared from behind the stacks of paper on his table, “The usual married couple arguments.”

 

“This man here,” Baekhyun pointed at Kyungsoo with the donut on his hand, sugars flying everywhere. “freaked out because apparently Chanyeol’s neighbor thought he and Chanyeol are married! She gave them boxes of side dishes and said, ‘for you and your husband’.”

 

Cue someone cooed in the background (much to Kyungsoo’s dismay).

 

“It is delicous and all. But, the only downside about the side dishes though, they were too spicy for breakfast.” Chanyeol said, and dashed to the toilet hurriedly.

 

Baekhyun smirked, “I heard chilis are men’s aphrosidiac. I guess the lady knows what’s up.”

 

“BAEKHYUN!” Kyungsoo screeched in horror.

 

Sehun laughed until he actually shed real tears and Kyungsoo was still fuming in anger in his seat when Sehun finally catched his breath, “Come on, Kyungsoo. Just thought of it as a mission, would you? You guys acted as couples for countless times before.”

 

“But we were in missions for those, Sehun.”

 

“Can’t see any difference,” Sehun shrugged. “We are all acting even when we’re not in mission, basically we act all the time. It’s not like the lady knows you both are agents, right?”

 

Sehun suddenly turned around to face Kyungsoo, his face serious and forehead scrunched up like he was deep in thought. And Sehun with that face means he had something up inside that brain of his and Kyungsoo didn’t like the idea of that. “Unless, you’re concerned because there are feelings involved. You don’t like Chanyeol-hyung that way, right hyung?”

 

The door to the office suddenly opened, startling everyone that had been focused on watching the new episode of “The Life of Do Kyungsoo: Investigation by Oh Sehun” live in front of their eyes. Joonmyeon was standing at the door, glasses almost slipping off of his nose. “Agent D.O, you’re needed at Kris’ office in 5.”

 

“I’ll be going there right now,” Kyungsoo stood up immediately, taking his phone and keys and inserted it to his pocket. He made sure to stop in front of Sehun when he passed by, “And no, I don’t like Chanyeol like that.” And he’s out the door.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t notice the high-five Sehun and Baekhyun did behind him.

 

But he definitely noticed the heat that’s creeping into his cheeks.

 

🔒

 

The familiar tell-tale sound of password getting keyed in is filling the apartment, and not so long after, a tired-looking Chanyeol is appearing from behind the door. He sits himself on the front porch, half wondering whether he should just sleep there on the foyer or use the tiniest energy he has left to get up and get himself to the bedroom. He is sure if he closes his eyes right now he’ll sleep in no time. He just got back from a mission from Busan, and it was a pretty tiring one.

 

His (rational) brain is telling him to get up from the dirty floor and drag himself to bed, but his eyes are protesting and decided to act upon itself. He doesn’t remember anything more when he closes his eyes and drifiting to sleep.

 

He wakes up to something wet his face, and Chanyeol opens his eyes to see a ball of chocolate fur right in front of his eyes. “Good morning, Beomshil-ah” he groggily croaks out, which the dog replies with an excited bark. Seeming happy to be able to see his other owner after three weeks away from each other.

 

After stretching his body, just then Chanyeol realizes his surrounding. He doesn’t remember he has this Penguin bedsheet, his bedsheets are always plain colors with no patterns or figures. He takes a look around the room and taking notice of the tidy rows of books on the other side of the room, “Ah, it’s Kyungsoo’s room.”

 

“You’re awake, Chanyeol?” A soft voice is calling for him from the direction of the door and when he looks around, he sees Kyungsoo in an apron. The latter walks into the room and scoops the over-eager Beomshil to his hold.

 

“I put you at my room last night because your bedsheets are still on laundry. I didn’t know you would come back this week…” Kyungsoo explains while peppering kisses on Beomshil’s little head, “Breakfast is ready, let’s eat together. I’ll wait for you outside.” Kyungsoo sends him a soft smile before he goes out of the room.

 

Chanyeol only nods as a response as he watches Kyungsoo’s figure dissapearing from behind the door. When he can’t see the other anymore, he finally lets out the breath he didn’t know he was holding.

 

“Is Kyungsoo’s smile always that breath-taking?” Chanyeol’s mind wonders.

 

He needs a minute to calm his heart down.

 

🔒

 

“What are you making, today?” Kyungsoo is focused on the pasta sizzling on the pan in front of him when Chanyeol appears from behind to peer over his shoulder. Their noses almost bump when Kyungsoo looks to his side, “I’m making the spaghetti, the kimchi spaghetti you all love.”

 

“You mean, the kimchi spaghetti that Chanyeol loves.” Sehun suddenly says from behind, voice teasing.

 

The agency-unit Kyungsoo and Chanyeol are working in is having a celebration of Kyungsoo’s birthday (which initiated by Chanyeol and supported by Baekhyun & Junmyeon). And no matter how much Kyungsoo insisted that he didn’t want a birthday party, he just wants to celebrate it with nice takeout and a movie, Chanyeol still went with his plan and invited the whole unit for a dinner at their apartment. Kyungsoo was almost happy with how caring his friends were (almost being the key word), but then they told him that he’s the one who’s cooking the dinner because nothing Chanyeol cooks is edible and the others can’t cook to save their lives.

 

Kyungsoo sends the maknae in the room a menacing glare, but doesn’t say anything because he knows replying the bratty kid with a comment will just make him even more annoying. Chanyeol only chuckles, still not moving from his place behind Kyungsoo.

 

“You know, for two people who freaked out when their lady neighbor called them husbands, you two are surely comfortable acting like one.” Baekhyun says nonchalantly as he chews on the breadsticks served on the table.

 

“We are married,” Chanyeol replies Baekhyun with a coy smile before turning to Kyungsoo with that look in his eyes that Kyungsoo recognizes Chanyeol has lately. “Aren’t we, Kyungsoo?”

 

Kyungsoo often catchs Chanyeol with that look. When they are on their usual movie night, he can feel Chanyeol’s gaze on him. But the other will always look away everytime Kyungsoo catches him.

 

When they are on their way to work and it’s Kyungsoo’s turn to drive, he will catch the stolen glances Chanyeol sends his way.

 

And when… When Sehun, or Baekhyun are teasing them like this. Chanyeol will have that gaze that looks like… hope?

 

Kyungsoo is not sure about how he’s feeling. It is an unfamiliar teritory for him, and probably for both of them. Living in a world where you’re taught that special affection can be your biggest weakness, Kyungsoo never knew what it feels to have… feelings, for someone. Those kind of feelings.

 

“Kyungsoo?” He must be in silence for quite some time for Chanyeol to wave his hands in front of his face and shoots him a worried look, “Are you okay? You look… dazed?”

 

“Yes,” Kyungsoo nods quickly, sending Chanyeol and the others a reassuring smile. “I’m fine. By the way, dinner’s ready!” Kyungsoo cheers, hoping that the mention of dinner would distract everyone’s attention from the topic before.

 

Thankfully, it works.

 

🔒

 

The music is loud on Kyungsoo’s ears but it’s not a party if they don’t have loud music (Quote by Byun Baekhyun), Kyungsoo feels like his ears are going to bleed. He tried to lower down the volume once, but a drunk Baekhyun caught him on the act. So Kyungsoo’s choice for now is just the balcony. The bass thumping from the speakers is still heard, but at least muted by the sliding glass doors.

 

Kyungsoo looks beyond the balcony where the city lights are blending in with the stars decorating the night sky. The streets below are alive with energy, even if the clock shows that it’s 11 p.m. It will only get more and more alive as the second passes because people are looking forward to midnight, to celebrate the new year together. Kyungsoo always likes the fireworks, he waits for it every year.

 

He doesn’t know how long he sits there alone until someone takes a place beside him. Kyungsoo’s brain registers the smell of Chanyeol’s perfume mixed with alcohol. “Are you drunk?”

 

Chanyeol shakes his head, and Kyungsoo knows that he’s so drunk. Chanyeol never admits whether he is drunk or not, but countless experiences already taught Kyungsoo to differentiate drunk Chanyeol and sober Chanyeol. He glances at the taller, Chanyeol has his eyes closed.

 

They enjoy the silence and the shared warmth, until Chanyeol finally speaks. “Do you want to know something, Soo?” The nickname is making it’s appearance again. And usually, Kyungsoo will tell Chanyeol to drop the nickname because it sounds too cute and somehow intimate, but tonight he realizes he kind of likes the sound of it rolling off from Chanyeol’s tongue.

 

“What is it?”

 

“I want to tell you something… But you can’t judge me”

 

Kyungsoo raises his eyebrows at the request, but it’s the Drunk Chanyeol he’s talking with so he agrees nonetheless. “I won’t”

 

“Have you ever thinking of settling down?” Chanyeol asks the question with a soft voice, gaze casts afar like he’s seeing something beautiful that leave him breathless. Kyungsoo doesn’t expect that, at all.

 

“I don’t? I don’t know. Our jobs kind of make it hard to do that, Chanyeol.”

 

Chanyeol sighs, but his expression says that he isn’t surprised with the answer. More so, it looks like he has expected it already. “Are you?” Kyungsoo asks back.

 

There’s a small smile appearing on Chanyeol’s face, making him looking so serene and calm. Peaceful. “Yeah. I mean like, wouldn’t it be wonderful to have someone to wake up too? Coming home to warm home-cooked meal on the table, along with someone to share how my day goes.”

 

That sounds like us, Kyungsoo gulps.

 

“And maybe on Friday night I would cook. Or maybe going out to a restaurant, trying out new places. And maybe I’ll take out the dishes while my partner washes the dishes. You know, just domestic . I always dream to have a child to call my own, dresses her up in pretty dresses or going to the park with my son to play football. Doesn’t that sound wonderful? Just.. a permanent fixture in our lives. And maybe when we’re old and the children are all grown up, me and my partner will go travel around the world. Sending postcards with cheesy messages to the children just to embarass them.” Chanyeol rambles on and on while Kyungsoo keeps silent beside him, trying to calm the storm going on inside his head.

 

Kyungsoo can picture it, picturing Chanyeol on the situation he just said. Chanyeol dragging out his partner to eat out, maybe suggesting couple t-shirts or matching shoes. That’s just sooo… Chanyeol. Chanyeol with kids, teaching them how to ride a bike or bickering about toys once in a while because Chanyeol is a five year old himself. Chanyeol being that noisy tourist in the tour group and make sure he and his partner take a picture on every tourist spot imaginable.

 

He never had any mind of settling down, because of the reason he just told Chanyeol. But thinking about it now, he wonders how wonderful it might be. No matter how cheesy those domestic s sound.

 

They fall into a comfortable silence again, but there is nothing close to silence inside both of their minds. The two are too preoccupied with their own thoughts. Through the open space of the sliding door behind them, Kyungsoo can hear Baekhyun leading everyone for the countdown.

 

 

Ten.

 

Chanyeol sighs, now a frown is on his face. “But it’s hard, right, hyung? When we live the life we have right now.”

 

Nine.

 

“I just wish someday I’ll be able to experience that.”

 

Eight.

 

“Do you want to tell you something, hyung? A secret?”

 

Seven.

 

“What is it?”

 

Six.

 

“I don’t know where we stand,”

 

Five.

 

“...and maybe it’s better like that because if try to define where we stand, we’ll not be able to continue this.”

 

Four.

 

“I’m glad we’re married, hyung. Even if it is all just for pretend. I’ve never felt so happy before.”

 

Three.

 

“Sometimes I wish it was all for real.”

 

Two.

 

“Thank you.”

 

One.

 

“And happy new year.”

 

🔒

 

Chanyeol falls asleeps right after he says the greeting without even waiting for Kyungsoo to respond to his (semi) confession. But Kyungsoo thanks the Heaven for that because he doesn’t know what to respond if he has too. Chanyeol’s words are running through his head like a broken tape, over and over again.

 

He decides to get both of themselves in about two hours later, because the night air is starting to get colder as it nears dawn and nobody wants to get sick. Everybody is knocked out cold on the living room, only Joonmyeon is awake with Kris and Kyungsoo can hear them talking in the kitchen. Kyungsoo tries to manouver Chanyeol to the spare room Baekhyun has on his apartment, tucking him under the blanket before dragging his feet out of the room, ignoring the space big enough beside Chanyeol on the bed. No matter how tempting the warm bed is.

 

Kyungsoo closes his eyes as his back meets the plush cushion of the sofa. His heart are still wanting to search for answers but his body can’t keep up with it anymore, so he drifts off to the dreamland in record time.

 

Morning comes and Kyungsoo is prepared for the worst. But there’s nothing different with how Chanyeol greets him “good morning” when they meet each other for breakfast.

 

Chanyeol never mentions whatever he talked about that night.

 

Kyungsoo never brings it up.

 

🔒

 

The big bowl full of popcorn (salted caramel, it’s Chanyeol’s fav this time) makes a soft clinking sound as it meets the surface of the coffee table, joining the soda cans and soju bottles that are already placed there beforehand by Chanyeol. It’s their usual movie night, and the preparation for food is finally done.

 

“Make place for me, your legs are taking more than half of the sofa.” Kyungsoo whines, and thankfully Chanyeol puts his legs away and props them on the coffee table without much protest. Kyungsoo happily throws his pororo plush and blanket on the sofa, jumping into them after finding the remote.

 

“Whaet arrrr wii gohing to whatch thunaight?”

 

Kyungsoo makes a displeased sound on the back of his throat at Chanyeol’s childish antic, “Don’t speak with your mouth full, young man.”

 

As usual, Chanyeol ignores it. “And tonight is my turn! So we’re going to watch horror movies! Marathon until dawn and you have to watch it with me because you don’t have any reason not to.”

 

“But husband--”

 

“Don’t husband me!” Kyungsoo retorts quickly, his heart racing at the mention of the word ‘husband’. It’s been six months since Chanyeol’s (semi) confession on that New Year’s Eve, and nobody ever brings that topic up. So they act like how they used to, but Kyungsoo becomes more aware of how they interact ever since.

 

“I’ve already checked your schedule, you don’t have any schedule for tomorrow. You can watch it with me all night.”

 

Chanyeol sulks. Kyungsoo gives him a winning smile.

 

Ten minutes in, Chanyeol is still fine. Only making small screams or whinning sounds that Kyungsoo can’t help silently chuckles at. Chanyeol has been on countless mission that required him to dive deep into the dark dark world of the criminals and been on situations where people were going after his head, but he is no more than a scaredy cat when it comes to horror movies.

 

One hour later, Chanyeol is shaking on Kyungsoo’s side. Kyungsoo is half-pitying him and trying to calm down the shaking puppy by running his fingers through Chanyeol’s hair, the thing he knew from their mission together at Jakarta two years ago. Chanyeol’s face is hidden behind Kyungsoo’s blacket but eyes still peeking at the television to see how the movie is going. Typical Chanyeol, always the curious one. He’s now even more vocal with his screams and Kyungsoo thinks it’s his way of paying back at Kyungsoo for making him sit down and do a horror movie marathon with him. Kyungsoo really needs an appointment with the otologist soon.

 

“Kyungsoo!”

 

“AHHHHHHHHHH!! Oh my God, coming coming! The ghosts are coming!”

 

“STOP please, Kyungsoo. Stop the movie!”

 

“Chanyeol, I think you need to lower down the volume of your scream or the neighbor will knock on our door and kick our in no time.”

 

“AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!”

 

Kyungsoo reaches out for his phone and loads in naver. Despite Chanyeol’s (endless) screams, he thinks the movie is boring. No plot and the ghosts are not new for him. So, to make use of his time while waiting for the next movie to start, he might as well search for the nearest otologist.

 

And also, apartments for rent too. The neighbors are so going to kick them out.

 

🔒

 

Kyungsoo opens his eyes at the sound of his phone ringing. He blindly searches for his phone that he just threw on the bed that morning before sleeping on it after finishing the movie marathon. After a few seconds, he finally grabs a hold of his phone and quickly answers the call without seeing who it is from.

 

“Hello? Do Kyungsoo speaking.”

 

“Agent D.O,” A cold voice he knows so well greets him, and Kyungsoo sits up straight. It’s the call from agency, and when the boss of the agency directly calls you on the phone, then it’s really really important. “You are required to take Agent Fire. I repeat, Agent Fire to the headquarter in one hour.”

 

Something doesn’t sit quite well for Kyungsoo after hearing the order, but he replies immediately. “I will bring him to the headquarters in one hour, Sir.” And without anymore reply, the call ends.

 

Shifting his uneasiness aside, Kyungsoo goes straight to Chanyeol’s room to find the latter still drooling into his pillow. Knowing that waking Chanyeol up with usual “Chanyeol, wake up.” won’t work, he grabs the glass of water on the bedside table and pours it to Chanyeol’s face. The man immediately sits up as he tries to take a breath and processes what’s going on.

 

See? That works. Save Kyungsoo more energy.

 

“What was that, Kyungsoo?!”

 

“Headquarters wants you in an hour. Go clean yourself and dress up. I’ll be making breakfast.” Kyungsoo says as he tries to find any decent clothes for Chanyeol. Which turns out to be more difficult that he thought. Chanyeol’s clothes are everywhere in his room but none are presentable in his opinion. “Are you even doing your laundry this week, Park Chanyeol?”

 

“Nope.” Chanyeol answers, popping out the ‘p’. He lays down on the bed once again and hugs his pillows closer.

 

“Wake up, you big giant!” Kyungsoo grabs his pillow from under his head, “Kris was the one who called.”

 

After saying the boss’ name, they are ready in approximately 25 minutes and Kyungsoo is proud at their little achievement. He opts for a simple sandwich for breakfast because they will be late if they don’t hurry to the headquarters.

 

“Going for work, boys?” A voice brings their attention aside from the sandwhich in hand, and they look to the side to see the old lady that gave them side dishes before. They bow their heads in greeting and Kyungsoo smiles sheepishly, “Yeah, we kind of running late.”

 

“Ah!” The old lady exclaims, hands clapped in glee. “I can understand that. You guys were having the night of your life yesterday.”

 

“What--?”

 

But the old lady cuts Chanyeol first, “Don’t think I couldn’t hear you two screaming at each other last night. I was young, once.” She winked at Chanyeol, “Just try to keep it down a bit next time, okay boys? I might be understanding, but I don’t know with the other neighbors. Ah! I’m sorry for holding you guys up. Go go, I don’t want you guys to be too late to work.”

 

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are at loss of words, and only nods blindly at what the lady implies behind her words. Kyungsoo is still in shocked state so Chanyeol quickly says goodbye to the lady, waving awkwardly as he pulls Kyungsoo to the lift.

 

“Ah, young love.” The lady sighs happily as she watches Chanyeol and Kyungsoo going inside the lift. After they are gone from her sights, she gets back inside her apartment.

 

🔒

 

The athmosphere in the headquarters is tense, almost all the important people are here. Kris is on one side of the room with Joonmyeon on his side, talking with Minseok, his boss. There are some unfamiliar faces there too. Sehun supplies him the information that they’re also agents from the agency, but from different units. Kyungsoo recognizes Kibum (Agent Key) from the bunch, talking to Taemin (Agent Ace). As far as Kyungsoo knows, their unit is specializing at…..

 

“Drug cartel,” Kris’ voice booms, attracting every pairs of eyes and ears inside the room. He’s now standing in front of the big screen in the room. There is a picture appears on the big screen not long after, and he feels Chanyeol stiffens beside him. He wants to ask whether he’s okay or not… But Kris already continues with his speech.

 

“This drug cartel, probably the biggest one in this country, has been on our watch for years. We’ve succeeded getting inside the cartel, once, before.” Kris’ eyes fall to Chanyeol, but the other’s eyes are not looking back at Kris, still fixed on the screen. “But, because of an accident that we DON’T blame anyone for, we couldn’t catch them right on time. And after that, they are missing from our radar for years.”

 

The slide on the screen changes again, showing a cctv recording of what seems to be a dimly lit bar. And Kris’ pauses the video when a man appears, “This is Kim Youngmin, the head, the owner of this drug cartel. A cctv on a bar recently caught him in the camera, and ever since then our people started to follow him.”

 

“We just got an information that a big transaction will happen by the end of this week.” Kris’ turns his body to face all of the people in the room, “You know why I called you here. And you guys also probably already figured out why the Drug Cartel Unit are here with us today.”

 

“I’ll do it.” Chanyeol, who has been silent all this time it’s bordering worrying, suddenly speaks out.

 

“Yes, agent Fire?”

 

“I’ll do it.” Chanyeol says again, with more determination this time. “It was a mission not yet done for me. And it was my fault back then everything was failed. It’s time for me to redeem myself.”

 

Kyungsoo is confused with all of this. He doesn’t know anything about the failed mission they are talking about. He doesn’t know what happened back then. He doesn’t know why they got called to here at the first place because as far as Kyungsoo knows, his and Chanyeol’s unit is specializing at handling cases related to diplomatic security, not drug cartel.

 

“I was about to ask wheteher any of you wanted to volunteer helping the Drug Cartel Unit. But someone has already volunteered without me asking.” Kris’ types something into his tablet, “Are you sure you can do this, Agent Fire?”

 

“Yes, I can.” The look at Chanyeol’s eyes are not something Kyungsoo is used to see in daily basis. There are a lot of questions running inside his head but yet he doesn’t know where to ask.

 

“Okay, then. Thank you for your willingness to volunteer, Agent Fire. If so, the meeting today is dismissed. And Agent Fire, we’ll continue the meeting later. Only with you and the Drug Cartel Unit.”

 

As soon as Kris ends the meeting, Chanyeol bolts out of the room, bumping into anyone on his way. His eyes are focused, determined and he doesn’t look like Chanyeol. He looks like Agent Fire in mission. Kyungsoo is about to call for Chanyeol but Sehun stops him with a hand on his shoulder. “I’ll tell you later”, Sehun mouths.

 

🔐

 

“It was…. about one year before you got into the agency.” Sehun starts, “He was in the Drug Cartel Unit before he got into Diplomatic Security Unit. And the case with Kim Youngmin’s cartel… was his last case before he was moved to our unit.”

 

“What… happened?”

 

“He was the agent assigned to go undercover into the cartel. This cartel is different from others, they are probably the most difficult cartel to handle. Too many eyes and ears everywhere, we couldn’t even list all of them so we have to be really really careful.” Sehun stirs his cup of coffee mindlessly, “One day we got an info from Chanyeol, that a transaction was about to happen and that was our chance. We already set up a plan, and getting ready for the day”

 

“One that we didn’t expect is.. For them to question Chanyeol’s loyalty. They trusted Chanyeol so much before, he almost like a part of the cartel. Like he was actually born to be with the cartel. You can’t blame him, he absolutely knows how to be likeable.”

 

Kyungsoo has to agree with that one.

 

“Turned out there was someone who didn’t like how Chanyeol was so close with Kim Youngmin, and he or she started the rumour of Chanyeol was actually an agent doing undercover. Another person of us told that they started to torture Chanyeol. Got him locked up inside a room, punch him, cut his skins, did all of the things I don’t want to mention here. The sight of him when we got him out is not something I can forget easily until this day.”

 

Kyungsoo’s gut twists, in such an unpleasurable way. He wants to run away. Find Chanyeol. Begs him not to go. Bribe him with sour gummy worms that he likes. Or anything.

 

“Our focus shifted then, instead of catching Kim Youngmin, our first priority was to get Chanyeol out of there. We did that, but with the cost of giving Kim Youngmin time to get away. Chanyeol still blames himself for that, up until this day. He always said that we should’ve catch  Kim Youngmin instead of saving him. That it was his fault someone didn’t like him.”

 

“Won’t it be… dangerous if Chanyeol goes out there again? Did they know that Chanyeol was saved by the agency?”

 

Sehun shrugs, “I don’t know for sure, but our person said that the cartel believes we got Chanyeol as a hostage. They don’t have any more suspicion of Chanyeol being from the agency…”

 

They both go silent, occupied with their own thoughts. “But, it will still be dangerous… Right?”

 

Sehun’s silence is the only answer Kyungsoo gets.

 

🔒

 

“Where are you going?” Kyungsoo asks from the kitchen when he sees Chanyeol walking down to the foyer, fitness bag and shoes in hand. Beomshil is following close behind him, thistry for the taller’s affection but the taller pays the pomeranian no attention.

 

“Going to the gym.” is Chanyeol’s answer. Again. He’s been out every night ever since that meeting, and when Kyungsoo asks where is he going, Chanyeol will always answer that.

 

“Chanyeol…” Kyungsoo lowers himself to pull Beomshil to his hold, and the puppy immediately scoots closer to him for warmth. “Are you really… going for the mission?”

 

“Of course I will… I volunteered, I have to go.”

 

“But… Won’t it be dangerous?”

 

Chanyeol laughs, but it sounds dry and scary for Kyungsoo’s ears. “We are always surrounded by dangerous things, Kyungsoo. We live a dangerous life. What’s new from that?”

 

“But, Chanyeol!” Kyungsoo shouts, he doesn’t care if he sounds like clingy or annoying. He is worried sick! He doesn’t even know now he’s asking Chanyeol as a friend or as…. as someone more than a friend.  “You know it will be more dangerous than the others! They know you!”

 

Chanyeol seems a bit surprised with what Kyungsoo said but doesn’t look like he has any problem with it. “I guess Sehun already told you the story, huh…”

 

“Yes, he did.” Kyungsoo confirms. “Chanyeol, it was not your fault. You dont have to feel obligated to reedem your mistake.

 

“I don’t know what version of story Sehun told you, but you don’t know a thing Kyungsoo. You were not there!”

 

“Chanyeol, you know how risky it is but you’re still going for it. It is not some kind of spy drama. Don’t act like a hero because nobody can. There is a limit of how much a person can do. And now that it is your life that is on the line, you’re still going to go?”

 

Kyungsoo knows he’s probably going too far but he’s gone past the line already. He’s desperate. There is no turning back. He looks up to see the red in Chanyeol’s eyes, that makes him unconciously steps back in fear. Chanyeol looks like a second away from punching Kyungsoo but he keeps his fists on the sides of his body, holding himself.

 

“We… We can’t talk right now.” Chanyeol fumbles with the key lock and quickly steps out of the apartment, “I have to go. See you. Don’t wait me up for dinner.”

 

🔒

 

The days leading up to Chanyeol’s departure for the mission are pure hell. They are civil to each other, but they’re not going to deny the big elephant in the room. Their interactions are no more than greeting of ‘good morning’ and ‘good night’. Maybe have a dinner together but no words are said between them. Even the old lady are now looking at Kyungsoo and Chanyeol sadly and with eyes full of questions, but she knows her limit. Kyungsoo will just reply her concerned eyes with a forced smile.

 

Kyungsoo wakes up groggily at the day Chanyeol would leave for the mission. He asked for a day off already, wanting to send Chanyeol off even if he would only send him off from the foyer of the apartment. A heavy feeling settles inside Kyungsoo, but he puts it aside and gets up.

 

He doesn’t know how long Chanyeol will go this time.

 

Chanyeol is already up and packing his things when Kyungsoo gets out of his room. He stops doing what he’s doing when he spots Kyungsoo. Their eyes meet and nobody says anything.

 

“So, today is the day, huh?” Chanyeol nods.

 

“Be careful, out there… Okay?” Because I’ll be waiting.

 

“I can assure you I know what I’m doing, Soo.” Soo.

 

Kyungsoo plays with his fingers, averting his eyes from looking straight to Chanyeol’s eyes. “I know-- I’m not saying that you’re uncapable, it’s just… You know..”

 

“I know what you mean.” Chanyeol voices out again and it sound so so close. Kyungsoo doesn’t even realize the time when Chanyeol walked closer until they’re right in front of each other. A pair of arms make their way around Kyungsoo’s shoulders and the next thing he knows, he’s laying his head on Chanyeol’s chest. “Thank you,” Chanyeol whispers.

 

“I’ll see you… When I come back, okay?” Chanyeol mumbles. Kyungsoo can hear the i can’t promise you i’ll be back behind the hesitancy in his voice. And for once, Kyungsoo hates this thing about their job.

 

Uncertainty.

 

Chanyeol could be killed tomorrow morning, or maybe tonight, or maybe two weeks from now. And there’s nothing to prepare Kyungsoo for it.

 

“Of course we will, we live in the same house, husband.” Kyungsoo answers, voice a bit mutted by Chanyeol’s jacket. Chanyeol’s chest vibrates as he lets out a chuckle.

 

Make sure you’ll come back safely, please.

 

After a while, Chanyeol lets go and steps back. He gives Kyungsoo that one last smile, before grabbing his bag and dissapears behind the door.

 

🔒

 

[5 months later]

 

“Hyung, you’re not going home?” Sehun asks when he passes by Kyungsoo’s desk, seeing the older is starring out of the window silently. It’s already past 10 in the evening. And even though the headquarter is always open 24/7, it’s usually agents on preparation of mission who are there. But Kyungsoo’s schedule is cleared until the next four weeks so it’s unusual to see him in the headquarter past the working hour.

 

“I just… don’t feel like going home, I guess.” It’s too empty.

 

Sehun just stares at his hyung, he knows what’s troubling him. Everyone sane would notice how Kyungsoo and Chanyeol are drawn to each other. Their chemistry is no joke, they are in sync with each other. Their team work are unbeatable, making them the agent duo that are always trusted for important mission.

 

Spending so much time together, even more after Kyungsoo moved in with Chanyeol, triggers feelings to grow between the two of them. Chanyeol’s eyes starting to linger one second too much everytime his gaze lands on Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo’s touch starting to stay one second longer than usual everytime he puts a comforting hand on Chanyeol’s.

 

But, feeling is feeling and work is work. In this land of work, feeling is almost forbidden. Even affection in a friendly manner can be seen as a weakness by enemy and can be targeted.

 

Sehun…. knows that thing too well, he lost someone because of it.

 

The only way out is resigning from the agency. Getting back to the loving arms of families again. Becoming normal civilian again. Working on normal job with normal schedule and living the normal life. But sometimes it is not an option for most agents, when most of them comes from the most broken background. The homeless, orphans, or always been alone for their whole life. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are orphans, that’s the only thing Sehun knows about their background. They are seen as the perfect candidate, because they don’t have to cut their ties with their family since they don’t have one to begin with. And for those agents, it will be hard to get back to the civilian life if they don’t have someone to help them. Helping them get back to studying. Helping them get a job.

 

You can’t exactly put your experience as a secret agent in your CV, can you?

 

“You’re not.. going home?” Kyungsoo’s voice puts a halt on Sehun’s train of thoughts, and he shakes his head quickly. “I want to grab a drink and food first before going home, you want to join me, hyung?”

 

Kyungsoo is silent for a while, weighing the options of hanging out with Sehun or going home to an empty apartment. He already put Beomshil food on his plate today before going to work, and hanging out with Sehun for the night doesn’t sound too bad. He ends up agreeing, “But you pay, because I forget to bring my wallet.”

 

“Call!”

 

🔒

 

Sehun hurries his steps to one of the table set up outside, looking out to the Han River. His hands are starting to get red because of the excessive heat transfered from the ramyeon cups. Kyungsoo is waiting at the table already, with beers and mineral water. Sehun puts both of the ramyeon cups on the table and blows on his poor hands.

 

“This is how you’ve been living, young man? You’ll get stomach cancer before you know it.” Kyungsoo hands Sehun his chopstick.

 

Sehun frowns from acroos Kyungsoo, hands skillfully separating the chopstick and start digging into his ramyeon. “Not everyone is like Chanyeol-hyung, having you to cook home-cooked meal everyday.”

 

At the mention of Chanyeol’s name, Kyungsoo looks up, his eyes are curious and longing. “Do you have any news on him, yet?”

 

Sehun joined the operation to take down Kim Youngmin’s Drug Cartel two weeks after Chanyeol decided to volunteer. He is also worried for his friend but he is not allowed to go the field himself, so he only helps from the headquarters. Only Agent Fire and Agent Ace are going undercover. The less the better.

 

“The last time we got any contact with him, he was fine. The cartel was so happy to have him back.. But..”

 

The hesitancy in Sehun’s voice alerts Kyungsoo, “But? But what?”

 

“He hasn’t contacted the headquarters for more than one month already. Even Agent Ace contacted us last week. We understand that maybe due to circumstances he doesn’t have any chance to contact us… And there’s no sign from him or anything... It’s pretty unusual..”

 

It is unusual. The rule of the agency is to report to agency every once in a while, or if not, you have to show sign that you’re still alive. To hear Chanyeol separated himself from Agent Ace worries Kyungsoo, because he is afraid Chanyeol might take this mission by himself.

 

“Sehun….” Kyungsoo wants to say something but they’re interrupted by Sehun’s phone ringing on the table. At a glance, Kyungsoo catches Kris’ name on the screen.

 

“Agent Oh speaking.” Sehun lowers down the volume of his voice, aware of them being in a public area. Something their boss says drains the color out of Sehun’s face and he’s looking clearly in shock. “I’ll get back to the headquarters in five. I’m ready to go to the field.” And after that, the call ends.

 

“Sehun, what happened?” Kyungsoo asks in confusion as he watches Sehun dumps his ramyeon and can of beer before gathering his things. “I need, I need to go back to the headquarters. Agent Ace sending a sign for help….”

 

Kyungsoo holds his breath as he waits for Sehun’s next sentence, “They know about Chanyeol.”

 

🔒

 

“I’m going.” Kyungsoo says with finality in his voice, grabbing his favorite weapon from the rack. He ignores the exaperated look Sehun sends him and proceeds to grab his bulletproof vest.

 

“No, Agent D.O. You stay here.” Kris says again.

 

He throws a menacing gaze at Kris, the most intimidating gaze he can muster. “How many time should I tell you Kris, I’m going.”

 

Kris slams the book he is holding, the sound of it meeting the marble table in the middle of the room echoing. The chatters inside the room died down, everybody’s focus is now on Kris and Kyungsoo. “This is an important mission, Agent D.O. A dangerous one.”

 

“Then you surely can trust this mission to me, right? I’m the agent with the highest successful rate this year. Should use all my knowledge for something useful, shouldn’t I?”

 

Kris’ jaw hardens as he’s trying to not losing his cool. “How cocky of you, Agent D.O. But I’ll let this one past because what you said is right. This case is special, though. The problem is, your bias towards Agent Fire might lead this mission to futility. Which is why it is for the best if you stay back at the headquarters.”

 

“Bias? I am a well trained agent, Kris. I know---”

 

“Okay, let me ask you a question then.” Kris walks forward to stand right in front of Kyungsoo, eyes challenging the agent. “If you find Agent Fire, bloodied and beaten, chained inside their jail. He looks like he barely eats anything.” Kyungsoo takes a breath, the mental image is already shaking him.

 

“You have two choices. You can leave Chanyeol to catch Kim Youngmin in action, putting him in prison and finally giving him the punishment he deserves. But if you save him, then you’ll let Kim Youngmin out of our grasp once again. Letting him ruining Korea’s future generations with drugs. The future of Korea is in your hands to decide. What would you choose?”

 

Nobody dares to make a sound inside the room, the air is thick and everybody is holding their breath for Kyungsoo’s answer.

 

“Five….” Kris starts the countdown. Which brings Kyungsoo to that New Year’s Eve night on Baekhyun’s apartment balcony.

 

“Four…”

 

“I….”

 

“Three. Answer my question as Agent D.O, not as Do Kyungsoo.”

 

“Do you want to tell you something, hyung? A secret?”

 

“Two. Your time is running out.”

 

“I’m glad we’re married, hyung. Even if it is all just for pretend. I’ve never felt so happy before.”

 

“Sometimes I wish it was all for real.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“One! And your time is up. I’ve given you chance, Agent D.O”

 

Kris turns around and commands the other agents to get ready for the mission ahead of them. What Kyungsoo remembers before his legs giving up on him is Sehun looking at him with apology written all over his face, and then like Chanyeol, he sends Kyungsoo a sad smile and dissapears from behind the door.

 

🔒

 

Kyungsoo decides to wait on the headquarters. Going back at home will just make him more anxious, at least he gets Baekhyun here to accompany him. The other didn’t say anything when Kyungsoo requested for his presence inside the control room, only taking Kyungsoo’s hand in his and drawing circles on Kyungsoo’s skin, hoping to calm the other down.

 

The control room is bustling, people going back and forth from one computer to another, while listening commands from their earpiece. Everyone is caught off-guard by Agent Ace’s sudden ask for help tonight, and everyone looks nervous as they do their jobs. The big screen in the middle of the room shows the progress and updates from the ongoing mission. But Kyungsoo doesn’t even dare to look at the big screen.

 

Somewhere between 3 to 4 a.m, Kyungsoo falls asleep. He dreams of Chanyeol, he dreams of Chanyeol greeting him in the morning in the form of a kiss. He dreams of Chanyeol whinning because he has to wash dishes but Kyungsoo shuts him up with a kiss. He dreams of them walking together, hand in hand on the streets. He dreams of Chanyeol getting down on one knee and asks him to be with him forever. He dreams of Chanyeol playing with a girl that calls him “Dad” and calls Kyungsoo “Appa”. He dreams of them sending their daughter to her first day at school. He dreams of--

 

“Kyungsoo? Kyungsoo-yah?” His brain registers Baekhyun’s voice first before he can open his eyes. He stiffles a yawn that’s threathening to come out from his mouth, looking at Baekhyun through the slight opening of his eyes. Baekhyun looks like he has been crying, but he is smiling. “They’re here.”

 

“They saved Chanyeol. He’s here.”

 

🔑

 

Just like Baekhyun said, they managed to save Chanyeol. And turned out the incident of them finding out about Chanyeol’s identity makes it easier for the mission to proceed. Because of being too busy at interogating Chanyeol to know where he is from, the cartel didn’t realize that Chanyeol had brought someone with him, which was Agent Ace. Making use of the situation, Agent Ace succeeded at bringing the officials inside the hideaway while Chanyeol was distracting Kim Youngmin and his other staffs. The agency team managed to take down Kim Youngmin just in time, just before he pulled the trigger to blow Chanyeol’s head.

 

Kyungsoo meets Chanyeol at the headquarters garage, the giant leaning on the side of Kyungsoo’s car. He does look different from the last time Kyungsoo saw him five months ago. His cheeks has sunken. There are visible eyebags right below his eyes. There are cuts on his face that Kyungsoo slowly traces with the tip of his fingers. His one arm is bandaged. He needs a crutch to support himself.

 

“Let’s go home, shall we?” Chanyeol says, voice lower than a whisper.

 

The drive home is silent, and Chanyeol refuses to let go of Kyungsoo’s hands throughout the ride. Kyungsoo doesn’t pull away. He doesn’t want to.

 

Kyungsoo helps Chanyeol gets inside their apartment. Sensing that his other owner is back, Beomshil greets them excitedly on the foyer and can only calm down when Chanyeol picks him up and showers him with kisses. Kyungsoo’s heart warms at the sight of Chanyeol lulling their puppy to sleep, before laying him softly on the dog bed near the heater.

 

Chanyeol lets Kyungsoo takes care of him. The smaller helps him to his room, changes his clothes to freshly washed pajamas. Making sure to put pillows underneath Chanyeol’s bandaged leg and arm before tucking him in carefully under the blanket. Kyungsoo brushes off the fallen bangs from Chanyeol’s forehead, looking at him like he means the world to him before braving himself to put a kiss on the other’s forehead.

 

Chanyeol has his eyes closed, relishing in the feeling of Kyungsoo’s lips on his skin. “Stay,” He whispers when he feels something wet on his hair. “Stay with me.” He repeats again, and Kyungsoo cries only get harder. Chanyeol manouvers his healthy hand to pull Kyungsoo close to him, letting him cry in his hold.

 

“I-- I-- Chanyeol-- I--”

 

“Ssshhhh,” Chanyeol is quick to stop Kyungsoo before the latter stars choking on his own tears, he just pulls the smaller even closer than before. “It was a rough day, for both you and me. Let’s just sleep first, we’ll talk in the morning. Okay?” Kyungsoo nods, too tired and too worn out to say a word.

 

“Just one thing.”Chanyeol takes a deep breath, “Will you stay with me? From now on?”

 

Kyungsoo looks up to meet Chanyeol’s eyes. “Together?”

 

The road are still long ahead of them, and they might experience major change in life so soon into the journey. But, they now have a reason to not be afraid anymore. They are not the clueless teenagers who didn’t know what to do like they were years ago. They are now Chanyeol and Kyungsoo. That should’ve been enough.

 

“Together.”

 

🔓

 

nb : Don't forget to leave your comment below and tell me what you think!