great pretender

The Leader Takes It All

 The night air welcomed his already heated body like an old time friend.Sunggyu had to smile at that, fully aware of the danger he was currently facing.It had been almost a week since his cold had hit it off, but frankly he could humour himself at least that.

It was his new coping method.

Instead of punching the wrong person or moping away from his team mates, he chose to give himself a breather before joining the lot.By now, Woohyun's foul mood would surely have risen suspicion.

He was always glad to have them receiving all sorts of complementary gifts, thanks to the company's good will.A show of gratitude, though they'd never call it thus.

The kids have worked literally blood and sweat for their success and he knew better than any money driven er.None of them did it for the company, not anymore.That's what those long years have taught them.

You take what you can and use it to better yourself.

Sunggyu wasn't too proud to hide the fact that he might sport a sort of admiration for some elderly members, but they could be counted on the fingers of one hand and he had ceased to call them friends, just to be on the safe side.Those were the ones that subconsciously made the difference between bowing and kneeling, a thing that was glued to his image by now.

Yes, he knew how to be polite.But through the years he had learned to play polite when it was of the most essential.

One thing those heartless bastards cared for was proper etiquette;showing respect even when they spit and mocked at you.

Boy, was Sunggyu one of their favourites.

It had been the bitterest to digest.

Guess what, thanks to one bubbly gang of ill fitting idols, he had sugar coated the whole ordeal until it became his own brand.

Being a leader meant he'd join in the fun ride.He wasn't there to lead them into what was expected , but to show them how to get there together, as a team, understanding and listening to them at the same time.

They've been asked to leave, they've been reprimanded, yelled at, mentally tortured...you name it.He knew each and every tear all of the guys have shed, because he had been there alongside them.He had a bigger roleplay in that unit and he had understood it in time.The day he decided to quit was also the day he'd been shown a new trait of character, one that he'd use on his worst meetings.

He had become the great pretender in a blink of an eye.The presumable perfect puppet to play with, when in fact he held the strings all along.In time he added voice to the act, making all the more gullible.Who said he couldn't gamble their fortune? Womever decided they had to silence the anger building up inside? It had been their own struggle that got them where they stood:the company's pride and constant income.Sunggyu didn't fool himself they weren't expandable, but that didn't mean they couldn't milk the cow to the fullest.

Yes, they've been given a perfect chance to perfect themselves.For that he was grateful, but only to the right people.

He just couldn't stand when others acted all mighty because they held the power.They may have possesed the money, but they forgot who brought it in the first place.

So, he chose to remind them from time to time, though he still recalled the harsh cursing prior to meeting the end.

He didn't mind it, as long as it was away from the kids' earshot.

Woohyun always thought he had developed a masochistic side, though he wasn't totally in the knowing just how close to the truth he got.

Speaking of, he better hurry back before that tree worsened things with his loud mouth.Out of all the boys, he was the most reluctant when the company gifted them expensive gifts just after a serious nagging.He called bribing and Sunggyu had to silently applause.

The ride back had been event free, perks of finally getting his own car.If only fans knew...or, better they didn't.They rarely had any privacy and sometimes he just needed to lash out without audience.Which surprisingly, hadn't been the situation on his way to the playground they've decided to meet at.

As a memorabilia, it had been Infinite's custom to gather around before a comeback, enjoying the calm before the storm.

And there they were, legs crossed on the soft patch of ground they've picked at the furthest end, towards a darker area, skimming through packs of fried chicken and side dishes all banned from their current diet.Sunggyu smiled fondly at the picture before his eyes, blaming himself for acting so hard on them when fully knowing how much they deserved a break.

"We'll burn this with one single glance of Woohyun hyung."Sungyeol giggled."What's gotten up yours, suddenly?"

"Watch your filthy mouth, kiddo."Hoya nagged, slurping down on a juicy piece of meat.He could be such a cow, sometimes.No different from any of them when eating "unaccordingly".

"Oh, I am.If not, you can very well get in and steal the last bit of meat I just munched on"Yeol screeched at the latter's poking attempt.

"Shouldn't we wait for Gyu?He'llbe pissed if we leave him out ."Dongwoo asked while playing with a chicken wing.His appetite had suffered the most due to his recent loss, but it wasn't showing so much as to become worrisome."Didn't he tellyou how long it'll take him..."

"I'm sure he's close by."Woohyun's quiet answer flowed in the air."Just don't go asking  stupid things when he does.He's at his last straw already."

"He didn't go there for paychecks, did he?"Myung put down his chopsticks.

"As usual, he took it all on him. The comments didn't help much..."Woohyun huffed.

"Heck, he's not the only tired one."Hoya clicked his tongue."I'm pretty sure our fandom is aware of that and would never...Those had to have come from the sasen....."

"It doesn't matter anymore."Sungjong cut in."Point is he covered for us.The spotlight is on him for the weaker one out of all of us."

"Aww, you make me weep."Sunggyu approached them, throwing each a bottle of soju."What are you whinny chicks or men?! Don't make me gag, I've already lost too much weight."

"Hyung."the maknae tried to stand up, only to have Woohyun push hard on his shpulder keeping him in place.

He never needed words to understand or communicate with Sunggyu;one look was all it took for them to know what to do.

"Bottom's up!"Sunggyu cheered all of them, crouching down on the rubber floor.

After a series of cursing and lots of other unlabelled sounds, they finally let go of the dark atmosphere, giggling happily at nothing in particular.That was the time Sunggyu loved the most.

"Will you be ok, hyung?"Myung asked while stargazing.

"Yeah, nothing a good sleep can't fix.I plan lots of it during my vacation."

"What?! They actually agreed?"Yeol screamed with joy.

"Hyun, didn't you tell them? Uhh, how are you helping me?"Sunggyu feigned annoyance."That's right, you derps, pick your free time! Every man for himself!"he warned, avoiding Woohyun's eyes."Better not coming near me for the next few days, or I swear..."

" that! Haven't we seen enough of each other already? This is great.I'll definitely drink to that."

"Well, don't let us keep youfrom jolly time."Woohyun patted him, downing another shot.

At that rate they'll have to call in a designated driver.

"I hate to say this, but I'll miss you guys."Sunggyu exhaled.

"What, don't have anyone to nag!? Yeah, I can relate to that."Dongwoo pretended to be the wise one.

"Fine, you got me."

"Just a slight warning, don't push yourself more than necessary.I expect to find a dashing leader."

"Yes, sir."Sunggyu saluted.

He may have Woohyun as his sidekick, but Dongwoo will always be his silent confidant.As airheaded as he portrayed himself to be, he was always the first to read into facts, even when Sunggyu chose to ignore things in front of his eyes.