kings

The Leader Takes It All

They couldn't fight the media waterfalling ,much like they couldn't stop wind from blowing.

Nothing came without a downside, as much success as one would gain through hard work.

Sunggyu had  known it from the first time he'd been offered leadership.The shiny speech,the painted smile of the higher-ups,the unanimated hand shake....he hadn't  been fooled. He had played that game for far longer than he had led on,but he wouldn't give them that much details over him.

He'd learned to bend the rules, spent his few spare moments to grasp the undertones of what was thrown in his face,though it had come with a little more pricey sacrifices than he'd expected.With the passing time he got so much better, wiser ,wittier.....he loved living up to his nickname; one of them, anyways.Apparently,people still liked to adress him as the granpa of the idol wave, more.

The sharp mind was there from the start,he couldn't have made it this far without nurturing an already hungry mind and character.He had to blend in circles far beyond him,but it had been to his team's benefit. They had been far too young to see the hidden agendas, much too eager to shine and too innocent to believe not all promisses were well intended.

He'd done the best he could under the circumstances.The second he had signed the contract he'd taken the unspoken warning to heart;it had been probably the first  friendly advice he ever got from an elder.

The kids were never to know of his other responsabilities,of his silent oath.

But they grew beside eachother and he had forgotten they also had mastered hiding themselves,picking up on things.

He was proud of each and every member.From young boys turning into the strong men they were today.....They thought they'd never see the day!

But they made it.

And they did it in their own way.

Which was why he found it difficult to stand still when being reprimanded for what was to be expected.Not that anyone cared.They've become such an important 'item' that he felt sick to be stuck inside the fancy restaurant,while palying his part. For the outside world it was just a business gathering; in reality, Sunggyu was having his throat bitten down with well chosen words.

'Infinite's leader , the epitome of elderly posing'

'Granpa On Stage'

'Setting An Example, Sunggyu? They're in their 20's! Open those eyes,as small as they may be'

'Aww, is that a boo-boo?'

'Infinitely tired...no-no-no-no-no!'

 

"It's a bloodbath , again. They're all going at it.What do you have to say for this, Sunggyu?Need I remind you whose responsability  it is,when things heat up?"the head manager flopped his gadged on the clothed table with a loud thud.

He'd been reading the fans' reviews to Sunggyu with not so fake mockery, for the past half an hour.It had been intended as a praise dinner, but Sunggyu had known better when he agreed to inform Woohyun on his whereabouts.He may have fooled the others, but Hyun had learned to read him the best out of all things.

"No,sir.I take full....."he began, head bowed low.

"Bull! Stop making him take the fall.We're all to blame." Woohyun hit his fist, making the cuttleries clink.He was fuming and it was already a bad sign.

"Sunggyu, keep your boys tamed.Or have you lost your touch on that, too?" the manager barked, soon recomposing himself into a smiling respectable person."We're people, not animals."

He had to use all his force to keep Woohyun from lashing out at him.It was hurting him feeling the thin wrist under his fingers,all due to their imposed diet.

"I apologise.They've been sleep deprived,but I'll have them up and running for the future promotions."Sunggyu bowed once again,pulling at Woohyun's hand as much for his comfort as for his ease.

"I know you will.It is your job, afterall."the manager offered them drinks, making Woohyun cringe.Before Sunggyu could react, the younger took the offer for both of them,gulping down the burning beverage.

"Whoa, this is 1st class.Thank you, sir.You know how to make an idol feel apreciated."Woohyun slurred the words with hidden spite.

"Only the best for my boys."

"Just how we deliver."Woohyun growled.

"I guess, your performances haven't faltered."the manager agreed."But the fans are sharp eyed and I won't allow such degrading comments shadow our ..."

"I' ll be sure to let the guys know you praise their hardworking."Sunggyu stressed.

"Our."

He took a loving look at Woohyun.How much had he grown.....sticking up for him, for them,when at first they couldn't even stand each other.

"I do, actually.Which is why, regardless of the negative input you've collected on your own, I will reward my kids with a well earned vacation."

Sunggyu read between the lines pretty well by now.It wasn't like he was surprised anylonger.

"We will work harder with our batteries recharged."he faked a smile.

"No doubt about it."the hidden warning flew across the room."Woohyun ah, would you show the staff where to put the meat packages? I wanted to ask Sunggyu to surprise you, but since you are here...."

"I won't take long."Sunggyu assured the younger."Just going over a quick peek of the schedules after our vacation."he smiled."I'll meet you guys later to celebrate."he promised.

"Ok.I'll wait."Woohyun searched his face,barely greeting the manager on his way out.

The second he turned his back,Sunggyu inhaled deeply,preparing for his flogger session.

"You really love pain, huh, Sunggyu? How many times have we been at this?"the manger pushed another glass of soju to him."Can you honestly not keep their mouths on leash?"

The strong alcohol burned his already inflamed throat,after battling the rebel infection lately.The antibiotics worked slower because of his tired body and it had shown in his recent sloth acting .Woohyun had known about it and that's why he wanted to help him, unconsciously making things worse.

"I'll see to that never happening.I think you'll be pleased with our comeback after the vacation."

"Oh, I don't doubt a rest will do them good."the manager pressed the matter."How do you intend to spend yours?"he challenged him.

"I...haven't been home for a while.I'm sure my folks would be glad to spend time..."Sunggyu bit down on his lips.

"Very wise choice.The roots are not to be forgotten."

Sunggyu understood what was expected of him: no rest, fully training  for a spotless appearance, away from tempting family customs of healthy feeding and loving indulgencies.

"Be sure to send your family my regards.I know they've been dreaming of this trip for some time now.A very fillial son you are ,gifting them with such pricey vacation.You must make them proud."

The dark smile was making Sunggyu want to crawl under his skin.But he wouldn't let it show.It wasn't like never went through this before.He could do this again.and again.And again, if necessary.It would do him good, no matter how bad it sounded.The hidden inuendos were something he looked forward to,by now. They helped him grow his skin thicker and sharpened his senses.

There will come a day when he'd face them at the same level and he'd be ready.

Until then, he'll take it all as the good leader he was.