Final

The Affair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Byun Baekhyun has always kept a list of his top ten favorite days of his life. Though it has been a while since he touched or even spared a glance at the list, he now finds himself going through his disorganized drawers and trying to find his untouched list.

 

If it isn't for what he discovered just mere minutes ago, Baekhyun won't even try to find his list, nevertheless, try to remember it. But because of his discovery, he knows that finding the list is now his main priority. 

 

The events that led up to his discovery made it somehow easy for the young man to guess what is exactly going on. The past few weeks for Baekhyun consisted nothing but him having constant headaches, painful heartburns, and randomly occurring nausea. Those were the primary symptoms that first led Baekhyun to make his predictions, but he chose not to believe in his prediction.

 

However, several weeks passed when he began to feel more and more hungry as if he hadn't already eaten a big meal an hour ago. He had also been craving for certain types of food; some of which he hadn't even tasted in his entire life, yet he still asks (rather, forces) his husband, Park Chanyeol, to go to the grocery store and to satisfy his cravings. These were all the symptoms that continue to lead Baekhyun back to his first prediction, but he still refused to believe in anything, for he didn't want to hope for something that may only disappoint him. 

 

But it wasn't until today when Baekhyun found himself throwing up every content of food (made by Chanyeol) that he ate last night into the toilet bowl. He couldn't seem to catch his breath as he continued to vomit out his bile. Tears and sweat were mixing together and streaming down his flushed face when all of his emotions hit him in sync. The predictions that he made in the past weeks were coming true. He didn't want to believe it, though. Heck, he was not even sure if he's ready for what he knew is about to happen next. But what Baekhyun also knew is that he couldn't go back in time and change what he has already done. He needed to face the future and not run away from it like what he had been doing in the past weeks.

 

Because Chanyeol has left earlier than usual to go to work today, Baekhyun was, unfortunately, on his own. Chanyeol knows about the symptoms that Baekhyun has had over the weeks, which is why he took several days off last week to take care of Baekhyun. But the latter isn't selfish enough to keep his husband from working, so that's why Baekhyun forced the man to go back to work. Of course, Chanyeol adamantly disagreed at first, but Baekhyun was able to convince him that he will be all right. Now, Baekhyun is starting to regret his decisions because he wants Chanyeol to be next to him to witness what will be happening, but the more he thinks about it, the more he thinks that sending Chanyeol back to work was the right thing to do - maybe.

 

The only problem with sending Chanyeol off to work is that he had been getting home later than usual these days. At first, Baekhyun was, no doubt, disappointed that he won't be able to eat dinner with his husband, but he learned to adapt to the changes, so now Baekhyun is somewhat used to eating alone. He only wishes that whatever Chanyeol is doing at work, he will hurry up because Baekhyun doesn't know how many more days he can last without eating dinner with his husband.

 

After Baekhyun flushed the toilet and quickly washed himself up, he took a small plastic box out of his medicine cabinet and read the directions on the box before he did anything else. 

 

Now that he followed all the steps on the package, Baekhyun found himself tearing up as soon as he stared at the two lines that were appearing on the pregnancy test. The emotions that disappeared a few minutes ago came back, hitting him with full force that time, and he couldn't restrain himself from letting his tears flow down his cheeks. The beating of his heart was beating excruciatingly fast, and he couldn't slow it down as he felt ecstasy surge through his body. 

 

And because of this simple yet extraordinary discovery, Baekhyun is now desperately trying to find the list that he has always kept ever since high school. 

 

After several more minutes of desperate attempts to find his list, Baekhyun eventually finds the crumpled up piece of paper that is shoved all the way back in his drawer. A sigh of relief leaves his mouth before grabbing the paper and unfolding it. His lips instinctively turn upwards as the words on the simple piece of paper slowly begin to unravel before his eyes.  

 

Baekhyun takes a moment to read the list, eyes moving from left to right. Memories of his younger-self begin to flood his mind as he reads further down the list. 

 

              My Top Ten Favorite Days of My Life

         1. Meeting Chanyeol in high school - 9/06/2008    
         2. Chanyeol confessing his love for me - 2/14/2010
         3. Chanyeol proposing to me - 12/25/2013
         4. My wedding day - 2/01/2014
         5. Moving to a bigger house - 2/03/2014
         6. Opening my first bakery shop - 5/06/2014
         7. Having unprotected - 7/22/2014
         8. Meeting my high school friends again - 8/01/2014
         9. Getting pregnant - 9/06/2014
       10. Getting pregnant again - 5/15/2015

 

Baekhyun's smile disintegrates as he reads the last two lines that are crossed off his list, sadness beginning to build up on him. He remembers the days when he lost his little angels from a miscarriage - twice. Baekhyun knows it couldn't be helped, though. The doctor told him that when a miscarriage starts, it doesn't stop and that, sometimes, miscarriages happens for no apparent reason. Baekhyun and Chanyeol knows. But Baekhyun, without admitting it to anyone, blamed himself for not taking care of himself and his little angels better. 

 

To this day, Baekhyun still blames himself, but he is going to change that. He wants to stop feeling guilty after all these months, so with a shaky breath, Baekhyun takes an eraser and completely erases the last two lines, blowing the eraser shavings out of his way. Then, with trembling hands, Baekhyun uses his pencil that he has kept ever since he started to create his list and begins to lower his arm down onto the piece of paper. 

 

But just before his pencil can even touch the paper, Baekhyun stops his arm from lowering down any further onto the piece of paper. He begins to contemplate before walking back into the bathroom that he was in just a few minutes ago. 

 

Looking once again into the sink where the pregnancy tests are, the smile reappears on Baekhyun's face, but his thoughts do not evade his mind. Baekhyun is afraid - terrified. He is too terrified to lose another child. It happened twice, which means it can happen thrice, and Baekhyun is just so afraid. He knows he shouldn't be afraid, though, for he needs to be strong for his third child who is currently living in his tummy, but he can not help the fear that is clouding his anxious mind.

 

Taking a deep breath in, Baekhyun thinks about calling his high school friend, Oh Sehun, for help, so before he can do anything else, he carefully folds his list that is in his hand and puts it safely into his pocket jeans. Next, he takes the three pregnancy sticks out of the sink and places them into a zip lock bag. After checking that he has everything with him, Baekhyun takes his phone and searches for the contact information that he is looking for. When he finds the number, he hesitates, afraid that Sehun is probably busy, but Baekhyun needs the assurance now, so without waiting another second, Baekhyun presses onto the number. 

 

The man brings the phone up to his ear and waits patiently for the other man on the line to pick up. "Come on... Come on..." he mumbles to himself, slowly getting frustrated, and before his frustration can even reach the maximum, the other man picks up.

 

"Hello...?" Sehun groans on the other line, and Baekhyun just rolls his eyes, having to expect Sehun to still be asleep despite the ungodly hour. 

 

"Why the hell are you still sleeping? It's two in the afternoon!" Baekhyun raises his voice over the phone, startling poor Sehun who has just woken up. 

 

"S-Sorry... I was at a party last night, and I met this guy, and we-"

 

Baekhyun winces, not wanting to know the details, so he stops Sehun before the latter can even finish his story. 

 

Sehun just shrugs over the phone, even though he knows Baekhyun can't see him. "Anyway, why'd you call?" Sehun asks skeptically because Baekhyun doesn't usually call him unless it's something really important or it is an emergency. "Did something happen with you and Chanyeol?!" 

 

Once again, Baekhyun rolls his eyes knowing that Sehun is wide awake now from the way he raised his voice a second ago. The younger man is always curious about Baekhyun's relationship with Chanyeol because the fact is that Sehun once had a crush on Baekhyun back in high school. Unfortunately, Sehun wasn't the only man to have a crush on Baekhyun. Chanyeol was also head over heels for the small, beautiful, petite boy. No one could really blame the two boys. Baekhyun was literally the epitome of a living angel. Someone would be considered crazy if he or she didn't have a crush on Baekhyun. 

 

Ironically, however, Chanyeol and Sehun were best friends, but the two of them would constantly fight over Baekhyun whenever the latter wasn't around, and to this day, Baekhyun still has no idea that his best friend and husband once fought over him. 

 

To put a long story short, because Chanyeol was so head over heels over Baekhyun, he gathered up his courage and confessed to Baekhyun in the middle of the hallway, right in front of Sehun and the other students. Of course, the Baekhyun was stunned from the confession because he had no idea that the one and only, handsome, and popular Park Chanyeol could ever love him back. But as soon as he looked into the taller man's eyes that day, Baekhyun knew that Chanyeol was telling the truth. And as cliché as that sounds, it is exactly what happened. Once Baekhyun realized that the man in front of him was still waiting for an answer, he paid no heed to the other students around him as he grabbed the nape of Chanyeol's neck, brought his face down, and attached his lips directly onto who is now his husband's lips. 

 

But as much as that memory still hurts Sehun to this day, he couldn't have been happier for the couple. Though Baekhyun is already married, Sehun still loves Baekhyun - as a friend, of course. He has long accepted the fact that he and Baekhyun are never meant to be, but he is all right with that. As long as Baekhyun is happy, then Sehun is just as happy, so it breaks Sehun's heart when he hears a broken sob over the phone. 

 

"Baekhyun?! What happened?" Sehun is already in the midst of getting up as Baekhyun tells him that he needs to see him. Of course, there is no doubt Sehun can not deny his best friend's request, so when Baekhyun tells him where to meet and then hangs up, Sehun is already getting ready to meet his best friend. 

* * *

As soon as Baekhyun hangs up, he tries to recompose himself again before has to meet up with Sehun. Wiping the tears out of his eyes, Baekhyun fetches his coat and walks out of his apartment, locking the door before he leaves. 

 

It isn't long before Baekhyun arrives at the place where he told Sehun to meet up with him.

 

It is his bakery shop where Baekhyun told Sehun to meet up with him, so as soon as he steps into his own shop, each and every one of his employees stop what they are doing and greet him kindly. 

 

Kim Jongin, who is the first employee whom Baekhyun hired and another one of Baekhyun's high school friend, is the first to greet his boss at the front entrance. "Hey, Baekyun! Are you looking for Sehun?" 

 

Baekhyun nonchalantly nods, ignoring Jongin's informal greeting to him because that isn't important for him at the moment. 

 

"Baekhyun, are you okay?" Jongin asks, noticing his boss's hands are trembling. When the employee is about to say more, Baekhyun beats him to it. 

 

"I-I'm all right..." Baekhyun stutters, contemplating if he should tell Jongin, his best friend, the news that he is, again, pregnant. It isn't because Baekhyun doesn't trust Jongin, it is because he is afraid that if he tells Jongin, then he can possibly jinx his pregnancy. Baekhyun knows that he can not deal with another loss of his child. He knows himself well, and he is sure that if he loses this third child, he will break. 

 

Realizing that he still hasn't given an answer to Jongin, Baekhyun lets out a breath that he doesn't even know he has been holding. "I'll tell you, so follow me," Baekhyun says, eventually convincing himself to tell Jongin the news. He leads the employee to the private table booth that Sehun is currently sitting at and waiting patiently for Baekhyun to arrive. 

 

Sehun is definitely not expecting Baekhyun to bring Jongin along, so he is surprised when Jongin sits at the table with them as well. 

 

"What is he doing here?" Sehun blatantly queries and points to the bronze-skinned man across from him, not minding the fact that he is speaking in third-person towards Jongin. "I thought you were only going to tell me the secret." Sehun pouts while the two older men just roll their eyes at their childish friend. 

 

"You guys will be the only ones who'll know... for now," Baekhyun says before asking another one of his employees to bring him three plates of sandwiches and a glass of lemonade. 

 

When his employee brings him his order, Baekhyun thanks his employee before the latter walks off, taking another customer's order. 

 

Sehun and Jongin steal a glance at each other as they watch the little man grab a sandwich off his plate. Sehun, not sure on what to do, shrugs and decides to grab the second sandwich, but he finds himself unable to do so when Baekhyun slaps his hand away from the untouched sandwich. 

 

"Hey!" Sehun pouts, rubbing the hand that was just slapped. "You're going to eat all of that?" 

 

Baekhyun just simply nods. "Of course, I have to. I'm eating for two now, anyway." 

 

It seems as if Baekhyun doesn't even know what he just said when he continues to eat his sandwich, unaware that Sehun and Jongin are looking at him with eyes wide and jaws open.

 

While Baekhyun continues to eat his sandwich, Sehun looks at Jongin in the eyes. Though words are not spoken, Jongin understands what Sehun is trying to convey, and in return, the former gives a slight nod of his head to show that he understands what Sehun means. 

 

Jongin clears his throat, fortunately gaining his boss' attention to him. "B-Baekhyun... you're pregnant?" Jongin finally asks, and Sehun is relieved that he isn't the one who asked because the look on Baekhyun's face is like a deer that is caught in the headlight.

 

"H-How'd you...?"

 

"You let it slip out a few seconds ago." Jongin chuckles before congratulating his boss and patting the smaller man on his back, but he frowns, noticing that Baekhyun doesn't look happy at all. "What's wrong? Aren't you happy that you're pregnant?"

 

"Of course, I am! I'm ecstatic to be pregnant, but..." Baekhyun hesitates. "But, I'm afraid."

 

Jongin and Sehun can only look at their friend in pity, having no idea what it is like to lose a child, but they have an idea as they remember what Chanyeol told them. Baekhyun was grieving for days, isolating himself from everyone, even his own husband. He wouldn't eat nor drink, and he was always crying himself to sleep at night. If it weren't for Chanyeol's husband instincts telling him that Baekhyun needed professional help, the latter most likely wouldn't even be here right now.

 

Jongin and Sehun shivered at the thought, secretly thanking Chanyeol in their minds. 

 

"I'm afraid of losing the baby again," Baekhyun continues, voice beginning to waver. "And I'm afraid to tell Chanyeol. I'm afraid that if I tell him, I'll lose the baby again. I don't want to disappoint him. I've disappointed him two times already. I can't disappoint him the third time, and I don't want to know what'll happen if I disappoint him the third time. W-What if he leaves me? I know that he wants to have children just as much as I do. But it's already been two years since we've married and we don't have a single child!" Baekhyun sobs, sandwich in his hands long forgotten. 

 

Jongin looks around the bakery shop, afraid that the customers can hear his boss wailing right now. He silently apologizes to a couple who is staring at the direction of their table, silently judging the crying man. 

 

"Baekhyun..." Jongin tries to quiet down his boss but is unable to do so as Baekhyun's cries only get louder. Isn't it too early to have mood swings? Jongin thinks to himself before Sehun interrupts. 

 

"Baekhyun, if you stop crying, Jongin will get you a strawberry cake." 

 

That does it. Baekhyun immediately stops crying to Jongin's surprise. Baekhyun looks at Jongin with pleading eyes and the employee exhales, having no choice but to get a slice of strawberry cake for his boss. 

 

When Jongin leaves to get the strawberry cake, Sehun takes this as a chance to talk to Baekhyun alone. 

 

"Baekhyun, I know you may think that Chanyeol is disappointed in you, but trust me when I say that Chanyeol is probably the last person who would ever be disappointed in you. He loves you so much, and he can never be disappointed by you. Do you know why I know that he loves you so much?" 

 

Baekhyun shakes his head almost like a child refusing to eat his or her vegetables. 

 

Sehun chuckles and says, "It's because back in high school, Chanyeol would constantly bother me and tell me how much he loved you. Every time we hung out, our conversations would always be about you and how much he loves you so damn much. He was so damn whipped at that time. Baekhyun, you're probably one of the luckiest people I know to have a husband like Chanyeol. If not, then you're the luckiest person on earth. And if that still doesn't convince you, then do you remember that time when Chanyeol confessed to you... in the middle of the hallway... in front of all the other students? He did that because he loves you and he didn't care whether or not he got judged by the other students for loving another man. If that's not true love, then I don't know what is," Sehun finishes before Jongin comes back with a plate of strawberry cake. 

 

Sehun smiles when Baekhyun's eyes twinkle as Jongin places the plate of strawberry cake in front of him. And before Baekhyun begins to eat his cake, he doesn't forget to thank Sehun. 

 

Jongin only spares the two of them a confused look, deciding not to ask what happened when he left. Although Jongin is also Baekhyun's friend, he knows that Sehun and Baekhyun have a much deeper relationship than he and Baekhyun, so he is choosing not to be nosy and to stay silent while Baekhyun contentedly eats his cake. 

 

Jongin and Sehun are in the midst of watching Baekhyun eat when another employee in the bakery shop asks Jongin to help out in the kitchen. The latter nods, but not before he waves goodbye to Sehun and wishes Baekhyun good luck. 

 

The two other men wave back, arranging another time for all of them to hang out again. 

 

Once Jongin leaves for the kitchen, Sehun continues to watch the smaller man eat in peace. He knows that he has to ask the question, so while Baekhyun is still in a good mood, Sehun asks, "So... when do you think you're going to tell Chanyeol?" 

 

Baekhyun suddenly stops eating and looks at Sehun in the eye. The latter is afraid that he may have said something wrong, but he lets out a sigh of relief when Baekhyun simply replies, "I'll probably tell him next week."

 

"Why next week?" 

 

Baekhyun only lets out a soft sigh before he speaks. "Because Chanyeol's been really busy lately."

 

"You're speaking as if that's a bad thing."

 

Baekhyun moves his eyes slightly downwards, not looking at Sehun in the eye anymore and hoping that the younger man doesn't catch him. And it is times like these when Baekhyun wishes for Sehun not to be so keen when he wants to be because the next thing that Sehun says is, "Look at me in the eye, Baekhyun, and tell me that Chanyeol isn't hurting you." 

 

But Baekhyun is unable to look at Sehun in the eye anymore, for he is afraid that he may start tearing up if he does. 

 

"Baekhyun," Sehun says, sternness is clearly evident in his voice. 

 

Ironically, although Sehun is younger than Baekhyun, it seems as though, in that moment, Sehun is the one who's older than Baekhyun from the way he's speaking.

 

 "You're stressed, aren't you?" 

 

Baekhyun gives a slight nod, still not looking up at Sehun. 

 

"Why, though? Baekhyun, please, tell me. I'm your friend, aren't I?" 

 

Again, Baekhyun nods, and this time, he looks at Sehun in the eye. "Although Chanyeol is only a secretary lawyer, he is usually never this busy. He always comes home before we have dinner together, but now he's been coming home later than nine. I don't know what to do, Sehun. The last time he was this busy was a month before our wedding, a-and... it nearly ruined our relationship." 

 

Baekhyun doesn't realize that he's crying when he feels a soft, warm hand gently caress his cheeks, wiping the tears away from his wet cheeks. When he realizes, he quietly thanks Sehun for trying to comfort him and removes the younger man's hands away from his face, claiming that he can wipe the tears off his face himself. 

 

Sehun only shrugs before he says, "Is that why the wedding got postponed?" 

 

"Yeah..." Baekhyun murmurs almost inaudibly, but Sehun is able to hear it loud and clear. 

 

Silence begins to surround them as the tension rises, Sehun at a lost for words. But when he sees the sadness in Baekhyun's eyes as the latter continues to wipe the tears away, Sehun gulps, adam apple's moving slightly up then down. Sehun loves Baekhyun, as a friend, of course, and seeing his best friend so distraught because of Chanyeol makes him want to punch his best friend's husband in the face. If Baekhyun needs someone at the moment, it is Chanyeol. But the latter isn't here when Baekhyun needs him the most, so taking a deep breath, Sehun says, "I'm going to talk to him." 

 

With that, he stands up and is about to move away from the table when he feels the smaller man grab onto his wrist, stopping him from doing probably something stupid. 

 

"Please, Sehun, don't. He's busy now..." Baekhyun whispers hesitantly, but Sehun knows his best friend well enough - almost more than Baekhyun knows himself. Sehun knows that Baekhyun is worried about Chanyeol, and he also knows that when a pregnant person is stressing about something, it can be detrimental to the baby and the bearer. Sehun isn't going to risk that happening to his best friend when the latter already had two miscarriages already, so he gently tugs his arm away from Baekhyun, not missing the pleading look on the smaller man. 

 

"Think of it as this way," Sehun says before he leaves the pregnant man alone. "Chanyeol is my best friend too, so I'll just visit him and ask him what's wrong like what a concerned friend would do." 

 

Baekhyun only lets out a snort, claiming that his husband will never believe such a thing.

 

Ever since high school when Chanyeol and Sehun both fell in love with Baekhyun, their relationship status went from friends to frenemies. And it has been that way ever since, so if Sehun ever visits Chanyeol to say that he is concerned for the older man, the latter will only laugh at him. 

 

Sehun knows this, but he can't help but want to try. He knows he should at least try to talk to Chanyeol for Baekhyun's - his best friend's - sake. 

 

"Baekhyun, I can see it in your eyes that you want me to do it. Your mind is telling you to stop me, but your heart isn't. Trust your heart, and trust me, okay? I'll only have a talk with him for a few minutes and that'll be it, I promise. Then I'll tell you what he's been up to so you don't have to worry too much about Chanyeol. There's a baby inside you who's depending on you and needs your full, undivided attention. You can't worry about Chanyeol when your baby needs you more."

 

Ultimately, Baekhyun knows that Sehun is correct. He looks down at his small, slightly protruding baby bump and gently caresses his tummy before nodding, allowing Sehun to leave and talk to Chanyeol. "Call me as soon as possible," Baekhyun says, looking up at Sehun who is already on his way to find his "friend" and give him a piece of his mind. 

 

Baekhyun can only watch Sehun's figure get smaller and smaller as he walks away, and the only thing that Baekhyun can think of at the moment is to get another slice of strawberry cake. His baby has been craving it for a while now... Or is it Baekhyun who's craving for it? 

* * *

As soon as Sehun walks out of the bakery shop, he takes his phone out and is about to call Chanyeol when he decides against that. If Chanyeol is too busy, he won't be able to pick up his phone, Sehun thinks before he walks in the direction of the building that Chanyeol works in.

 

It doesn't take long before Sehun finds himself going up the elevator to the floor where Chanyeol works on. The only reason Sehun knows what floor Chanyeol is on because he has been asked by Baekhyun several times to deliver lunch to his husband when he was too busy to do it himself. Sehun unconsciously smiles as he remembers those days. Although he was disappointed knowing that Baekhyun loved Chanyeol back in high school, he is glad that Baekhyun has chosen Chanyeol. Sehun knows that there had been many arguments between the couple, but that doesn't stop them from loving each more than they already do. Because, of course, arguments are inevitable in a relationship.

 

The thought of the couple leaves Sehun's mind when the elevator door opens, and he steps out. As Sehun is on his way to find the older man's cubicle, he notices that Chanyeol isn't there. Someone must have sensed that he is looking for Chanyeol, so he is startled when he feels someone tap him from behind the shoulder. Turning around, he sighs in relief when he realizes that it is just one of Chanyeol's coworker, Do Kyungsoo. 

 

"Are you looking for Chanyeol?"

 

Sehun looks down at the shorter man and straight away nods. "Is he busy?"

 

"I think so," Kyungsoo nonchalantly replies. "He says he's meeting up with someone today." 

 

Sehun scrunches his forehead this, but Kyungsoo doesn't realize this. "Anyway, why are you looking for him?  It's usually Baekhyun who's looking for him. Wait... d-does Baekhyun know you're here?" 

 

Sehun doesn't miss the anxious look in Kyungsoo's eyes, and he tries to dismiss the thought of something bad happening. "Why does it matter if Baekhyun is here?" 

 

Again, Sehun doesn't miss the anxiousness look that is manifested on Kyungsoo's face. "It doesn't matter. Look, if you're wondering how Chanyeol is doing, he's fine." 

 

"But I want to talk to him." 

 

"No need." 

 

"But-" 

 

"Just leave now." Kyungsoo begins to push the taller man away, bringing him to the elevator. Luckily for Kyungsoo, as soon as they get to the elevator, the door opens and Kyungsoo is able to push the taller man inside. The latter emits a low grunt before he turns around to try to say something but is unable to do so when the elevator door shuts close, to Kyungsoo's relief. 

 

"What the ?" Sehun mumbles, rubbing the nape of his neck as confusion sets in. It is a truly rare sight to see Kyungsoo so anxious, which is why Sehun is beginning to make assumptions. He tries to rid the thoughts out of his mind, but he can't help but feel a sense of foreboding. Someone is going to get hurt in the end, Sehun believes before the elevator door opens once it reaches the main floor. 

 

Just when Sehun steps out of the elevator, he sees a figure that resembles that of a particular giant. Squinting his eyes to get a better look, he realizes that the giant figure belongs to none other than Chanyeol. The latter is wearing a rather formal suit, and it seems as though he is waiting for someone as he's standing at the curb of the sidewalk, impatiently tapping his shoes and constantly looking at his Rolex wristwatch. 

 

Sehun immediately walks out the building, wanting to have a talk with Chanyeol before he realizes he needs to play it smart. 

 

Suddenly not wanting to be seen, Sehun quickly hides behind a bush that happens to be next to him and begins to wait along with Chanyeol. 

 

He waits patiently, but his patience has a limit when he begins to get bored after thirty minutes of waiting. When Sehun is already on his fifth round of Angry Birds, he finally hears Chanyeol's loud and boisterous voice. Quickly finishing his fifth round of Angry Birds, Sehun puts his phone away before he secretly watches Chanyeol wave to a particular black Porsche. 

 

The car immediately stops and pulls over once the driver sees Chanyeol waving frantically to it. The window is pulled down, and, unfortunately, Sehun is unable to see who is inside, but he can see the ecstatic look on Chanyeol's face when he's talking to the person in the car. They talk for a few seconds until Chanyeol steps back and opens the car door, and Sehun gasps, breath completely knocked out of him. The person who comes out of the car is none other than a woman. It isn't the woman who is bothering Sehun, but her actions with Chanyeol. As soon as she steps out, a bright smile is plastered on her face as she embraces the taller man. The embrace lasts a little too long for Sehun's liking, and he scrunches his forehead in distaste before taking his phone out and not forgetting to take a picture of the woman with Chanyeol. He needs evidence if he is planning to tell Baekhyun what just happened. 

 

But then, the thought of Baekhyun came to his mind. What exactly is he going to tell his best friend?

 

A frustrated sigh leaves his mouth as he stares at the picture of the woman hugging Chanyeol on his phone. Maybe they're just friends? Sehun thinks to himself before looking at the couple again. His mouth completely drops open when he sees the giant offer to hold the woman's coat and purse. 

 

Sehun can't believe what he's seeing right now. All he can think about at the moment is how he is going to break the news to Baekhyun who is pregnant. The baby is going to need a father who isn't going to play around with other women. The thought makes Sehun furious as he fists his hand. He never thought that Chanyeol will be this kind of guy, but people change, and, unfortunately for Baekhyun, it happens to be his husband who changed. 

 

When Sehun looks back, he notices that the couple is now gone. He panics now that he has lost sight of the couple, but instead of being able to see the couple, he can hear them, and they are coming his way. With an accelerating heartbeat, Sehun tries to hide deeper in the bush, and though there are sharps thorns on the bush, Sehun pays no heed as he continues to push himself in. He can not risk getting caught. 

 

The voices, though soft and mumbled, is still audible to Sehun's ears. He listens carefully as he takes his phone out, ready to get some more evidence. He can hear the couple get closer and closer to him, and just when they get close enough, Sehun hits the 'record' button.

 

Sehun internally curses because just when he begins to film, the couple is already on their way back inside the building. He is just about to stop the video when he hears the woman talking, and what she says next makes his heart drop. 

 

"Does your husband know anything about this?" she kindly asks, and Sehun is outright disgusted at the way she acts so sweetly to the giant. 

 

Sehun doesn't realize it, but a layer of sweat is now covering his forehead as he waits anxiously for Chanyeol's answer. Words of profanity run through his mind when the couple walks into the building, and he doesn't get to hear Chanyeol's answer, but that doesn't matter to Sehun. He has enough evidence to prove to Baekhyun that his very own husband is, Sehun gulps - not liking this idea at all - cheating on him. 

 

Before the thorns on the bush can stick their needles further into Sehun's skin, the latter gets out just in time before his skin starts to bleed, but nothing matters to him at the moment except Baekhyun. Breaking the news to the latter is the only thing in Sehun's mind, but he doesn't know if he has the heart to tell his best friend about what he just saw. He knows it will crush Baekhyun's heart, but he also knows that it will be better to tell him sooner than later... At least, before Chanyeol can go further into his relationship with the woman. 

 

Sehun hates to be the one to break the news, but he needs to be strong for his pregnant friend. With a deep breath, Sehun begins to dial Baekhyun's number onto his phone, and he waits for the man on the other line to pick up. With each ring, Sehun's heart only beats faster and faster, and Sehun feels like his heart will jump out of his chest soon if his friend doesn't pick up soon. 

 

"Did you talk to him yet? How is he? Has he been eating?" Baekhyun immediately asks as he picks up the phone, which only breaks Sehun's heart even more. He hates the situation that he is in more than ever, but he can't back out now. Taking a deep breath in, Sehun is about to speak when Baekhyun cuts him off again. "C-Can you tell Chanyeol to come home sooner? I've decided to tell him the news today." 

 

Sehun can hear and almost feel the excitement radiating off of Baekhyun, and he resents how his best friend is being so cheerful while being completely oblivious. Sehun wants to yell at Baekhyun to open his eyes and see that his own husband is a cheater, but he can't. Baekhyun is his friend whom he loves and he knows he can never yell at the puppy (figuratively). At the moment, Sehun wants to break down and cry, anger and frustration beginning to bottle up within. He wants to scream into Chanyeol's face and ask him why he is putting him in this situation, but he just can't do it. He needs to act rationally, so, finally, taking another deep breath in and unclenching his fists, Sehun calmly says, "I'm coming over." 

 

"Wait, wha-"

 

Sehun hangs up the phone before Baekhyun can even finish his sentence. And though he is desiring more than anything at the moment to just run away from Baekhyun, he promised himself that he will tell the pregnant man about Chanyeol. He has to, for his best friend's sake, at least. 

 

And with his final decision, Sehun takes off. Whether he is ready or not to tell Baekhyun, it doesn't matter. His friend must know that he is loving someone in a helpless relationship. 

* * *

Baekhyun's face scrunches up as soon Sehun hangs up on him. He also doesn't miss the concerned voice that Sehun used as he quickly spoke to him. Baekhyun doesn't want to worry about anything yet, so he quickly dismisses the thoughts on Sehun, at least, until the latter will give him an explanation. 

 

A tired sigh escapes from Baekhyun's mouth as he walks back into the kitchen to work on dinner again.

 

After Sehun left the bakery shop to find Chanyeol, Jongin had returned to him and accompanied Baekhyun while he was alone. While they were alone, Jongin was able to convince Baekhyun to tell his husband about the pregnancy sooner than he originally planned. Baekhyun never knew that Jongin can be so convincing, but he feels more relieved now that he knows he will tell the news to his husband tonight. It is better to do it sooner than later, and Baekhyun knows more than anyone else that Chanyeol will be the one to help him get through his pregnancy. Baekhyun elicits a chuckle, remembering those days when he was pregnant with his other babies and remembering how Chanyeol had to deal with his mood swings and cravings. 

 

Times like those were the reasons why Baekhyun is so thankful to have Chanyeol as his husband. The latter is patient, kind, and caring; he's the perfect candidate for Baekhyun's husband, but he is an even better candidate for the father of his children. If not, then he is the best candidate, period.

 

While Baekhyun is working on dinner, he doesn't realize that the thought of Sehun calling him before has completely left his mind when the doorbell suddenly rings. He internally curses when he jumps from startlement, almost knocking down the pot filled with boiling, hot liquid. Before Baekhyun does anything else, he quickly wipes his hands with a dry towel and turns the stove's heat to low just in case the food doesn't burn.

 

On his way towards the door, the doorbell doesn't stop ringing, almost giving Baekhyun a headache so he yells, "I'm coming, God damn it!"

 

The doorbell, luckily for him, stops ringing, and when he opens the door, Sehun immediately steps inside.

 

"Well, then. You're invited, I guess?" Baekhyun scoffs, rolling his eyes as he watches Sehun panting, trying to catch his breath. It seems as though he has run all the way from Chanyeol's workplace to his house, and he feels a pang of guilt, knowing that the distance from his house to Chanyeol's workplace can be far without driving a car.

 

"What's so urgent that you've run all the way here?"

 

Baekhyun waits patiently for Sehun to catch his breath. While waiting, he goes to the kitchen to grab a glass of water and returns to Sehun, bringing the cup near the younger man's lips and letting the cool liquid help him catch his breath. It doesn't take long after that when Sehun is finally able to speak normally, though with a bit of exhaustion in his voice.

 

"I-I know that you probably won't believe me, b-but I saw with my two own eyes. I-I even have evidence!" Sehun frantically shouts. His words are coming out incoherently into Baekhyun's ears, so the shorter man asks him to repeat what he said. "B-Baekhyun, I-I'm so sorry..." Sehun begins to sob, leaning down onto Baekhyun's shoulder as he cries into the crook of the shorter man's neck and shoulder.

 

Baekhyun doesn't understand what the man is saying, but he has a feeling that something is definitely wrong, and this feeling definitely has something to do with Chanyeol. 

 

"Tell me what happened," Baekhyun sternly says, pushing Sehun away from him so he can look him in the eye. This is not a joke, Baekhyun realizes as he sees the tears are less than feign. He is prepared for anything that will be thrown at him, but he certainly doesn't expect what Sehun says to him next. 

 

"C-Chanyeol might be cheating on you!" Sehun yells, voice loud and clear, but Baekhyun can't seem to process the words, so he remains silent, unaware that his body is slowly beginning to tremble. "I-I have evidence," Sehun continues, not even realizing that Baekhyun has yet to respond as he is already taking out his phone. The man goes to his camera roll and presents the appalling pictures to his friend. 

 

Baekhyun is only looking at the pictures in silence with clenched fists, still choosing not believe anything that he sees. His heart is pounding loudly in his chest, yet he doesn't know why. He knows Chanyeol isn't the man to cheat on him, but he can't help but think otherwise as Sehun continues to show him the pictures. The poundings of his heart begin to increase until it slowly shatters as Sehun is now presenting him the video that he took when the woman in the video asks, "Does your husband know anything about this?"

 

Sehun is surprised at how his friend is still able to remain so calm, but he doesn't miss the tears that are manifested in Baekhyun's dull eyes. 

 

It all makes sense now, Baekhyun realizes. Everything is starting to make sense to him as the puzzle pieces are being put together. It makes sense that Chanyeol is returning home later than usual these days because, all this time, while Baekhyun is struggling to get through his pregnancy, Chanyeol is probably out there ing that woman. The thought brings a stinging sensation in his chest, and Baekhyun is trying hard to will it away, but it continues to linger in his chest. 

 

"I'm so sorry," Sehun says before he witnesses his friend break down. When he tries to get closer to the smaller man, he is suddenly pushed back with full force, almost making him lose his balance, but he isn't angry at all. Instead, he understands the pain that Baekhyun is going through. In fact, he can even feel the excruciating pain radiating off of Baekhyun, but he chooses not to say a word. Before Sehun can do anything else, he hears Baekhyun quietly demand him to leave, and Sehun complies, not wanting to anger the smaller man even more. 

 

Without another word, Sehun begrudgingly steps out of the apartment room and leaves, not forgetting to close the door on his way out. As the door is shut, Baekhyun finally decides to let his walls down, breaking down as tears fall rapidly down his cheeks as he takes a pillow and sobs into it. His silent screams are muffled by the pillow, for he doesn't want to make a sound in case his neighbors get concerned, but never before has he ever wanted to scream out loud before. The pain in his chest is throbbing, and he wants it so badly to make it go away. Clutching his chest, Baekhyun is nearly begging and pleading for the pain to go away, but it doesn't. It lingers in his heart as the pain continues to grow, blooming into something that is starting to become unbearable for Baekhyun. And because of that, he wails out loud, paying no heed whatsoever if his neighbors start to complain about the noise. 

 

Tears are continuing to flow down his flushed cheeks as he hugs tightly onto the pillow, his body is trembling with fear as he begins to think about the worst possible case scenario: him having to take care of his child alone - without Chanyeol. Baekhyun knows he can't possibly take care of himself and his unborn baby without his husband, but the more he thinks about it, the more he thinks that this situation will become inevitable.

 

Baekhyun has always acted rationally and calmly but never before has the urge to act violently cross his mind. At this moment, however, Baekhyun wants so badly to find the unknown woman and break her neck, but he knows he must restrain himself. No matter how much he wants to think that this is all a misunderstanding, he can't seem to do so. The pictures and video are enough to convince him that his husband is, indeed, cheating on him, but he so badly wants to think otherwise. 

 

Ultimately, Baekhyun has decided to wait. He will wait for Chanyeol to return home and wait for his husband's explanation. He doesn't want his eight years of friendship with Chanyeol to end like this, and he certainly doesn't want his three years of marriage to end over what can possibly be just a misunderstanding... But what if it isn't?  Baekhyun just can't seem to rid these thoughts out of his agitated mind. 

* * *

The clock struck 12 AM an hour ago, but Chanyeol has yet to return home. It is expected, though, for his husband has been returning home late these days, but he has never returned home later than midnight, which makes Baekhyun even more worried.

 

Though, as much as Baekhyun wants to stay up and wait for his husband to return, he can't help but let out a tired yawn. Eventually, Baekhyun gives up and decides to tell Chanyeol the ecstatic news in the morning.

 

Just as Baekhyun gets in his cold and lonesome bed, he hears the door of the front entrance open ever so silently and softly. Baekhyun is relieved, though, knowing that his husband has returned home safely. But just when Baekhyun is about to get out of bed to greet his husband from work, he hears Chanyeol whisper secretively to someone over the phone. 

 

Baekhyun isn't the one to eavesdrop, but he can not help himself as he leans his ear against the door and listens carefully to what his husband is saying. And what Chanyeol says next makes Baekhyun's blood run cold. 

 

"I'm not going to tell him... Don't worry, he won't find out about this. He'll be as clueless as ever." 

 

Deep breaths can be heard throughout the empty room. Baekhyun is convincing himself that he heard wrong, but it is completely futile. He knows his ears are working fine, but his mind is not. His mind isn't able to comprehend anything after what his husband just said over the phone. A low, bitter chuckle leaves his mouth as he begrudgingly walks back to his bed, dragging his feet on the cold floor. He pulls the cover up and tucks himself in. It's strange... He thinks to himself. The bed feels much cooler than it has since the past few days. 

 

He is so close to drifting off to sleep when he hears the door to his room open softly and quietly. Baekhyun wants so badly to just get up and punch his husband in the face, but he is trying so hard to hold back. It is a rather difficult challenge, but Baekhyun realizes he can wait. He will wait and see what his husband's next moves are. He wants to know whether his husband is going to pack his stuff tonight and leave him. In fact, Baekhyun is expecting that to happen, but it doesn't. Instead, he hears a low grunt come out Chanyeol's mouth. He is probably taking off his tight pants, Baekhyun thinks unconsciously.  

 

Baekhyun wants to laugh, however, not even knowing if he's either ecstatic or depressed as his feelings are jumbled up, but all he knows is that he wants to laugh out loud. Besides, laughing is better than crying, right? Laughing can conceal his true emotions because, in fact, he can feel depression slowly beginning to settle within him, but then it abruptly stops. He doesn't feel completely depressed when he hears another soft grunt escape from his husband's mouth. 

 

He can hear everything, loud and clear, as the giant is slowly and quietly making his way towards the bed, almost as if he doesn't want to wake up his smaller husband. Baekhyun just wants to get up and directly ask Chanyeol why he's being so discreet, but he restrains himself, reminding himself that Chanyeol thinks he's asleep. 

 

Again, Baekhyun wants to laugh out bitterly. He wants to ask himself why. Chanyeol has already found another woman, so there is no need for Chanyeol to act so sympathetically towards him. Baekhyun's heart is slowly shattering as he listens to Chanyeol move quietly around the room to get to the bed, and once he finds the soft mattress, he gets on. With struggled attempts, he is successfully able to get underneath the covers. When he does get under the covers, Chanyeol doesn't forget the one thing that he does every night, and that is when Baekhyun can hear his heart completely shatter into indistinguishable pieces, bringing him to the edge of despair. 

 

Chanyeol has maneuvered himself on the bed until his bare chest is pressing onto Baekhyun's back. His arm is wrapped protectively over his little husband's waist, spooning him, just like he does every night. 

 

Why are you making this so hard for me, Chanyeol?

 

Taking a deep breath in through his nose, Baekhyun scrunches his face in disgust as the smell of perfume wafts through the air. ... Baekhyun internally curses. Because of his pregnancy, his sense of smell has become twice as stronger than before, and he can feel himself wanting to puke. He's trying hard to hold it back, though. His bile nearly comes out of his mouth before he is able to completely hold it back, the bile slowly going down his throat, and a sense of relief washes over him. 

 

But that sense of relief is quickly washed away before his depression is coming back to hit him with full force.

 

 It is true, Baekhyun incredulously tells himself while tears are threatening to spill. However, he realizes that he can't cry because Chanyeol is a light sleeper and he'll wake up as soon as he hears even the slightest of sniffles come out of Baekhyun.

 

A little smile appears on Baekhyun's face as he remembers those nights when he constantly had nightmares, and Chanyeol was always there for to comfort him. To tell him that everything was all right. 

 

But nothing is all right. Nothing ever was. Baekhyun realizes now that he just been living in a feign reality. He's silently screaming at himself inside his mind for being so oblivious this entire time, but as he screams, the empty air just echoes. The unbearable pain is not only emotionally hurting him but mentally as well, and while he's still trying hard to hold back his tears, he begins to tremble with fear and despair. Thankfully for Baekhyun, Chanyeol doesn't feel it. 

 

Baekhyun had hope. He had faith. He had trusted Chanyeol at the altar, but all of that trust has been broken in just one, single night. Baekhyun truly wants to believe that Chanyeol really isn't cheating on him - that everything is all just a misunderstanding. Even though Sehun has shown him the pictures and video, Baekhyun still has a little bit of hope in Chanyeol that it is all fake. But the hope has completely vanished. How can he still hope that it is just a misunderstanding when his husband has come home, smelling like perfume?! 

 

Baekhyun is constantly asking himself whether he's good enough for Chanyeol. He accidently lets out a bitter chuckle when he realizes that he really isn't good enough, because if he is good enough, then Chanyeol wouldn't have found another woman to love. Baekhyun is thinking what he has done in his past to make Chanyeol believe that he isn't good enough, and the realization strikes him harder than ever before. 

 

He had not only one miscarriage but two. 

 

Baekhyun has never before in his life felt like a failure after he had his second miscarriage. If Baekhyun feels like he is a failure, then there is no doubt Chanyeol feels that way too. 

 

A single teardrop has fallen out of Baekhyun's eyes, and it slowly rolls down onto his pillow, but he isn't aware of it. Only when the nth teardrop comes out of his eyes is he aware that he is crying, but he is forced not to make a sound, for he doesn't want to wake Chanyeol up. 

 

During the night, not only is Baekhyun silently crying himself to sleep, but he's contemplating. He's been married to Chanyeol for three years already, and he can't have it end like this. A new set of determination surges through him when Baekhyun realizes that he has to fight for his husband. He isn't ready to let go yet, and certainly, he's not ready to be on the losing side for the first time ever in his life. Byun Baekhyun has never given up this easily. He hasn't given up in his life, and he definitely isn't going to give up now. 

 

He's seen the pictures of the woman, and he's afraid to admit that she does look quite attractive. It will be a tough challenge, Baekhyun realizes, to win Chanyeol back, but he knows he can do it. And if he can't do it, then Baekhyun will know that everything he has lived for will all go down the drain, and he can't accept that detrimental fate. Chanyeol was his and always will be. 

 

As the last teardrop rolls down his cheeks, Baekhyun consciously moves his hand on top of the large one that is placed gently on top of his small, protruding belly. Nothing will separate this family, Baekhyun says in his mind before sleep completely consumes him... unfortunately, at four in the morning. 

* * *

Although he has slept awfully late, Baekhyun did not forget to set an alarm for 7 AM in the morning that night. However, he has nearly forgotten that he set an alarm because he is immediately startled when the alarm suddenly goes off exactly at 7AM. He quickly shuts the alarm off before his husband, who is still sleeping peacefully next to him, wakes up. 

 

As Baekhyun sits up, he nearly curses out loud when he feels his lower back starting to ache, and it is almost like a pain he has never felt before. It is probably because of the pregnancy, he thinks, or it can also be that he has only gotten three hours of sleep last night, but he doesn't complain. He already has everything planned for today in order to win Chanyeol back, and the first plan is to make a delicious, appetizing breakfast for his husband. Usually, the latter would always eat cereal because he understands that Baekhyun is not a morning person, but today, Baekhyun will change that. 

 

Without wasting any more time, Baekhyun gets out of bed and immediately makes his side of the bed quietly, being sure not to wake Chanyeol up. The latter starts work at 9 AM, giving Baekhyun plenty of time to prepare a decent, fulfilling breakfast. 

 

After washing himself up, Baekhyun can feel his head pounding slightly, but he ignores the pain, rushing to the kitchen instead to work on breakfast as soon as possible. 

 

Gathering up all the ingredients from the kitchen, Baekhyun is able to work consistently and quickly all in an hour. He is flipping the last pancake on his stove when another set of pain blooms in his head, making him stop what he is doing and waiting for the pain to go away. He internally groans when he hears the sound of the toilet flushing upstairs, indicating that Chanyeol has woken up. 

 

Though his headache still hasn't gone away, Baekhyun realizes he has to quicken his pace, so without another minute to spare, he puts the last pancake on top of the piled up pancakes. 

 

Getting everything placed onto the kitchen table, Baekhyun notices that he is only missing one thing, but with his headache, he can't seem to concentrate on what he is doing. 

 

He begins to panic when he hears the sound of footsteps coming to the kitchen, and he curses, grabbing what he thinks is sugar in front of him and sprinkling the "sugar" on top of the fluffy, hot pancakes. 

 

Just when he applies the last bit of sprinkles on the pancakes, he puts the container back where he found it and waits for Chanyeol to appear. As soon as the latter appears in the kitchen, a bright smile plasters on his face. "Good morning, baby." The smile is still on Chanyeol face, and Baekhyun can't help but roll his eyes at how his husband is acting like he's not even cheating on Baekhyun. The taller man seems to have noticed Baekhyun rolling his eyes when he stops walking towards the smaller man, asking him what's wrong. 

 

"Nothing's wrong... J-Just eat your breakfast," Baekhyun, although never having to speak this way, says shyly, looking down at his feet. 

 

"Are you mad at me?" Chanyeol ignores whatever Baekhyun has just said and continues to walk towards the smaller man. He walks until he is completely in front of Baekhyun, and then he places his thumb and forefinger on Baekhyun's ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter