001

Christmas Confession

"Everything happens for a reason."

For the past 22 years of existence in my life, I believed in this quote. A quote that never really disappeared in my mind whenever something bad happens.

I knew Mark when I was still in my 1st year of college. We were classmates in Los Angeles University. He was also chosen by my professor to become my partner in a project, and that's how things got started. We got to know each other very well until we became the best of friends, to the point where no one can separate us. Even our parents can't. Instead, my parents and Mark's parents became really close friends as well.


Every year, we celebrate Valentines Day together, even Independence day, Chinese New Year and other holidays.... except Christmas, because he used to visit his grandparents in Taiwan.. though we give each other our presents either before or after Christmas.

Unfortunately, his grandmother died early this year because of hemorrhagic . Then a month after that, his grandfather also passed away; so their family decided to go back to Taiwan and live there for good. Communications were cut and I have no idea where exactly he is right now and what he is doing. I never imagined my life without him. I never even realized how much I love him until he left.

Three years later, I was at home helping my mom prepare dinner as we will be celebrating Christmas with family and friends.

"Hey, can you go buy some butter and milk?" my mom said.
"Yeah.. sure." I replied without hesitation.
"Don't forget to wear thick coat, it's really cold outside"
"Okay, mom"

I was walking on my way to the grocery store when I bumped into a man holding boxes of presents.

", I'm so sorry. I did not intend to...." I said as I helped the man pick those boxes.
"Oh.. hey. Long time no see!" the man said.

Shocked to see who it was, I replied.. "Oh my gosh. How are you? It's been a long time. Why are you here, I mean... aren't you supposed to be in Taiwan?"
"I'm good. Woow. You became prettier huh! Aren't you happy to see me? Your mom actually invited me to your family dinner since I already planned to visit LA ahead of time . So how are you?" he replied.
"I'm fine. I'm fine.. but how did she... you.."
"I forgot to tell you I gave our number in Taiwan to your mom, didn't she tell you?"
"No.... she never told me."
"Really? How come.....?"
"I don't know.. Oh, by the way Mr. Raymond Tuan, you can go to our house first. I'll be there. I'll just buy something in the grocery."
"Oh. Okay, need some help?"
"No, no, I'm okay. Thank you. See you later."
"Arayt, see you."

I wanna ask where Mark is. But I can’t. Maybe I’m too scared to face him because it’s been a while. Or maybe I'll be disappointed if Mr. Raymond told me he isn't here. I don’t know. I really don’t know.

So I went home with butter and milk and some beer. You know.. Since it’s Christmas.. You gotta have some fun once in awhile.

Food are served and almost everyone are already seated. Some are focused with the food on the table while some are chitchatting with each other. After dinner, they all decided to get some coffee and relax and just chat. While I decided to go get some fresh air outside the house. I sat on our bench swing while looking at the sky thinking of unanswered questions.
‘what is he doing now?’
‘how come he’s not here?’
‘when will i get to see him?’
‘is he doing well?’
Yes, too many questions left unanswered.

While thinking, a light coming from a taxi cab came into my sight. Then a guy came out of the cab and ran as fast as he can towards our house. He was wearing a black turtleneck with a blazer and a thick scarf. I looked at him. It was Mark. I didn’t know what and how to react. I am totally shocked that I can’t even take my eyes off of him. No, I am actually in a state of shock to find myself shocked of what was actually happening.

“Hi.. Is the dinner over?” he asked while catching up with his breath. “Uhm.. My flight got delayed. ” he added.

I did not answer. I can’t answer. Maybe because I’m not sure if this is just a dream or if this is literally like the real Mark in front of me.

I’m too stiff that I can’t move. After some time without giving answer, he walked towards me and looked at my face. “hey?” he said and smacked my head softly.

“Y..yeah” I answered back while looking at him. I am on the verge of tears because after 3 years, I can finally answer that what’s happening right now is totally real and not just a dream or imagination. I turned back to wipe my tears and turned again to face him, he was smiling at me. I looked at him straight into his eyes and hugged him from the neck. He hugged me back and caressed my hair.

“I miss you too.” Mark joked and let out a soft chuckle. I hit his chest softly, just some sort of reaction of a girl who misses the one she loves.

Tears from my eyes starts falling as my throat and heart begins to get hurt for trying to hold back. The more tears I take out, the tighter his hug has become.

He wiped my tears and asked “Aren’t we gonna go inside?”
“Nah. You go ahead. I'll just stay here. You have to let them know you're here.” i replied.
“No, I’ll stay here. I'll show up later." he said.
He took his scarf off of him and placed it on me. We sat on the bench swing and he held my hand and intertwined it with his.

“I wanna say something to you before it’s too late.” Mark said.

**Music: CONFESSION SONG by Got7. Please play the song while readibg the next part**

I looked at him with a confused look. “To be honest, I never thought that I had feelings for you until I flew to Taiwan. Back then, I only thought of you as my best friend, nothing more and nothing less. But during the time that my family and I were about to leave L.A, it was so difficult for me to bid my goodbyes. I tried my best not to cry and tried my hardest to put a smile on my face as if there was nothing wrong about me leaving my friends, especially you, my bestest friend. I’ve been living in Taiwan for 3 years already and I can’t seem to find the happiness that I’ve been craving for until my dad told me that we’re going to visit L.A. The first thing I thought was you. Seeing you was the only reason that got me feeling excited. And now that I’m here, I wanna confess to you here, outside your house, on this bench swing, with snows falling, December 25, 2015; 10:38PM, that I like you, I love you and I’ve been longing for you.”


I was more shocked right now than the shock I just had earlier. We had the same feelings? Is this the reason.. The purpose.. why Mark left for Taiwan..for us to realize our feelings? This got me really confused.


“Did you hear me?” he asked.

“Yeah. I heard you.” i replied.


I didn’t know where to get the courage to confess back. So I closed my eyes and kissed him on the lips. 


I pulled back and faced him.


“You know Mark, this is the day that I’ve been waiting for so long. Look,my heart beats like a drum. It is because I also have feelings for you. My arms just wait for this day to hug you tight. My calendar just waits for the day marked red. My confession just waits for my courage. In short, I have the same feelings for you and for the past three years, I’ve been so lonely thinking that I would never get to see you again.” I finally confessed. My face turned red because of embarrassment.

He hugged me tight and kissed me again.

He took out his mobile phone and placed the other side of the earphone to his ears and the other side to mine’s. I leaned to his shoulder and both of us closed our eyes.


“Merry Christmas” he said. I smiled.

“Merry Christmas” I replied.

 

This has been the best Christmas ever… so far.