Subtle

Daydreams

A beautiful view. 

 

He couldn't help but steal glances. 

 

The sun's rays brought out the light brown color of her long hair. Though half her face was covered by it, in addition to how her head was tilted down in concentration from reading a book, he knew she's beautiful. 

 

Despite the almost crowded bus, he saw her. She was the first person he noticed when he got on board, discreetly observing the surroundings before he decided to stand a few feet away from where she was seated.

 

He may have a talent for subtlety. But how can he be subtle when she was sitting there, lost in the book she was reading, bathed in sunlight? It was a fascinating view.

 

His car had finally broke down for good, prompting him to take the fifteen minute bus ride to the office. He was in a bad mood of course. More so when he had to stand since there were no vacant seats. He had been feeling a little sleepy and was hoping to get a few minutes' nap. But that thawed a bit when he saw her.

 

It's weird. He is not usually very fond of looking around.

 

He spent most of the fifteen minutes glancing at her, silently hoping to see her the next time he rode the bus.

 

When she finally reached her destination, only a bus stop away from where he was heading, he found out just how petite she was when standing next to him. She barely reached his shoulder.

 

Since then, he had looked forward to the bus ride like he would excitedly look forward to weekends.

 

Strange as it may sound, the sight of her gave him a happy and warm feeling he couldn't explain. How many times he had felt that in the past, he couldn't remember.

 

But one thing was certain. He had never felt it before towards anyone. Never towards a stranger.

 

There was something about her that made him consider believing love at first sight does exist. And he was not exempted from feeling it.

 

His expertise in 'subtle glancing' was put to the test for two months. He had even entertained the thought of following her to see where she's working.

 

There was one time when he made up his mind to do that desperate move. But something happened, leading him to stay put on his seat, too happy to even move.

 

Sehun didn't mind how her head fell onto his shoulder like it fit there. It was the best fifteen minutes of his day. Beginning from when he finds the seat next to her vacant to when she fell asleep, her head resting on his side. 

 

He does not want the moment to ever end.

 

But reality is, such moments are bound to end. Upon reaching her stop, she quickly gets off without looking at him. She must have been beyond tired that day to even try to look at the person whose shoulder she had leaned on during the ride.

 

A few days after that incident, was when for the second time they were seated beside each other. She had not fallen asleep. Instead, she had earphones on while she looked through the window. He would have struck a conversation. He'd been contemplating it everyday for several weeks. Thank goodness he didn't. She may find him weird if he did so.

 

For another week, he had observed her in silence like how he would look at paintings. She is a work of art. No exaggeration intended. If he were an artist, he would be able to paint her beautiful face from memory alone because he had memorized its details.

 

Just when he thought his situation could get any more pathetic, a miracle happened.

 

Could you even imagine the glee and excitement he felt, both hidden under the cold exterior he had been known for, when he saw her at his office's pantry, waiting. He stopped dead on his tracks on the way to the coffee vendo machine. There was word around the office that there were five employees scheduled to be trained beginning that week. Could she possibly be one of them? How he hoped she was.

 

It didn't matter that she didn't recognize him at all when their eyes met for a few seconds. She was quick to look back at her phone.

 

She makes him smile. Just the simple thought of her. That's what he realized in the past several weeks. 

 

Knowing how she was within his reach, that's when it became apparent that simply looking at her will no longer do. 

 

He had to talk to her. 

 

He had to know her. 

 

He just didn't know how.