Green Tea

Amaranthus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kyungsoo needs alone time, but he doesn't want to be alone all the time. He is a quiet person. It makes sense that his best friends are loud and rowdy. However, Kyungsoo can't put a label on a certain Kim Jongin. Jongin is elusive, even though he's sociable. Jongin is too pragmatic to be part of Kyungsoo’s group of friends, but is rambunctious like them. Jongin is a dancer, an athlete, and stereotypes decree that he must be stupid. Jongin is a genius of Kim Junmyeon’s caliber. Jongin is a paradox. Jongin leaves Kyungsoo wondering. Can I befriend Kim Jongin?

 

。。。

 

The soft tap-tap of rain on his window awakens Kyungsoo from a light nap. It’s only been a short period of time after the autumn festival, but exam season’s shadow will creep on them soon. Kyungsoo won't tolerate anything below perfection.

 

Yixing says that rainy autumn days are perfect for studying, Kyungsoo thinks. I couldn't agree more.




 

When the rain begins to lessen, Kyungsoo decides it's ample time for a break. The café down the street has begun to sell their famous pumpkin delicacies, and Kyungsoo is a bit curious. So naturally, he calls Yixing.

 

“Yixing, come with me to try the new pumpkin desserts they have this year,” Kyungsoo requests.

 

“Kyungsoo, I'm busy. Like, really busy. I'm doomed and I'm so sorry I can't go but I have to finish this project and again, I'm really sorry,” Yixing rambles into the receiver.

 

“It's okay, Yixing. I can go by myself. Just focus on getting stuff done.” Kyungsoo tries to use a smoother tone. Yixing sounds frazzled and Kyungsoo feels pity for his poor friend. The life of a university student never lacked deadlines.

 

“I feel awful. I've been occupied lately, and we don't see each other much anymore,” Yixing whines.

 

“Yixing, we're not married,” Kyungsoo says dryly. “It's okay. I'll be fine. We can always meet up later.”

 

“I still feel shoddy. Hey, maybe you could go with someone else,” Yixing suggests.

 

“Most of our friends have other engagements, Yixing. And the free ones are probably studying too.”

 

“Don't worry! I'll ask someone to stop by. You know them so don't freak out. I really have to go. Be at the café by 4:00 PM!” Yixing hastily hangs up and Kyungsoo is left with the sound of his phone beeping.

 

Kyungsoo sighs and goes back to Introduction to Modern Statistical Mechanics by David Chandler. There's three more hours until he has to be at the café anyways. Still, Kyungsoo wonders who Yixing’s mystery friend is. Kyungsoo hopes it's not someone he barely knows.

 

Please just be Kim Minseok, even Oh Sehun or Byun Baekhyun will do.




 

It's Kim Jongin.

 

Kyungsoo stands in shock as Jongin waves at him. Jongin is wearing a crisp button down and black slacks, and Kyungsoo can't help but feel intimidated. His baggy sweatshirt and faded jeans are an ugly contrast to Jongin’s immaculate attire.

 

“Hi Kyungsoo. Do you remember me? I'm Kim Jongin, Yixing’s friend,” Jongin says as he approaches.

 

How does one forget Kim Jongin? Kyungsoo thinks. I might have forgotten you if I didn't ask around. But I did ask. And you are the unforgettable Kim Jongin, the genius mathematician, dancer extraordinare, the university’s pride and joy, the best of the best.

 

“Oh, yes, I remember you. I'm Do Kyungsoo.”

 

Jongin winks and says, “Don't worry, I remember who you are too.”

 

Kyungsoo’s heart hammers in his chest and he fiddles with the sleeves of his sweatshirt. Is this how Yixing feels when he talks to Junmyeon? That's ridiculous. Why am I even asking myself this?

 

“Yixing asked me to cover for him,” Jongin explains as he leads Kyungsoo to a table. “So here I am. Hope it isn't too awkward.”

 

“No, it's alright,” Kyungsoo replies (even though it's not alright and Kyungsoo is crying out internally). “What should we order?”

 

Jongin scans the menu as a server approaches their table.

 

“What do you recommend?” Jongin asks. “You and Yixing come here often right?”

 

Kyungsoo blinks and tries to form a coherent sentence.

 

“The coffees here are amazing, so anything is okay. If you want something more relaxing, they have teas and um, desserts too,” Kyungsoo says. “Really, everything is good. It just depends on what you like.”

 

Kyungsoo fidgets in his seat and drums his fingers against his seat’s edge. Relax, he thinks. Why am I so fidgety? This is nothing.

 

Kyungsoo is pushed from his thoughts by the sound of Jongin’s voice.

 

“I think a green tea sounds good. I need to unwind more.” Jongin smiles at Kyungsoo and asks, “should I have the tiramisù or the panna cotta?”

 

“The panna cotta is sweeter, so if you have a sweet tooth, you should eat that,” Kyungsoo replies.

 

“Alright, since the chef genius recommended it, panna cotta it is!” Jongin beckons to a waiter nearby and begins to order.

 

“Yes, green tea and a panna cotta. Kyungsoo? What do you want?”

 

Kyungsoo fumbles for the menu, even though he's been here countless times.

 

“I'll have a caffe mocha and a gingersnap pumpkin trifle.”

 

There's an awkward silence that falls once the waiter leaves. Kyungsoo doesn't know how to break it.

 

Should I say something? But what if I say the wrong thing? He thinks.

 

To Kyungsoo’s surprise, Jongin is the one who breaks the silence first.

 

“So Kyungsoo, how do you know Yixing?”

 

It's a simple question, but it has Kyungsoo smiling. This is easy. I can answer this. I'm okay. Nothing to worry about. I'm okay.

 

“We met in high school,” Kyungsoo begins.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter