Spirit of The Coin

Short Horror Stories Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

Characters used :

Gyujin (UP10TION)

Yuju (Gfriend)

SinB (Gfriend)

Eunha (Gfriend)

Wei (UP10TION)

Mark (NCT)

Lisa (Blackpink)

 

 

Warning! : Main characters death

 

 

Based on true story

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 days before D-day

 

 

“Gyujin-ah!”

I turn my head to see a cheerful girl, skipping towards me with a sheet of paper in her hand, alongside with a couple of girls.

“Oh SinB, what’s up?” I said as I drop the book I was reading. It’s English period but these days, teachers seem to be busy with other activities, leaving us students making havoc in class.

“I heard about this game from the class next door and I think I want to try it” She said as she pulls a chair towards my table. Her 2 friends followed her and now we’re in a circle making me the only guy in the group. I don’t care though. They’re my best friends.

“So what is this game?” Yuju asked as she too was excited. SinB smiled before putting the sheet of paper she’s been holding and a 50 cent coin onto the table. The paper, neatly hand-written, has a yes and no on the top left and right, respectively, with all the alphabets and numbers, and a goodbye at the bottom right. I furrowed my eyebrows, questioning what kind of game is this. I look at the girls and realise the other girl, Eunha, had been looking at the hallway for some time with a confused look on her face.

“Eunha, what’s wrong?”

“Is there a medical check-up today?”

“I never heard of it. Why?”

“I thought I saw a nurse passing by the corridor”

“Maybe it’s not for our class. Wei must’ve told us beforehand” I said pointing at Wei, the president of the class who seemed occupied in making sure the class is not too noisy.

“…okay” she still seemed disturbed by it but was immediately ignored after SinB tell us about the game.

“The game is called ‘Spirit of the Coin’, where we talk to the spirit with the coin as our medium of communication. The rules are; one finger from each of the group members on the coin, then, we chant some words that goes like ‘Spirit of the coin, are you here?’ 3 times and if the spirit is here, the coin will move to the word yes. It is very important not to break contact with the coin or the spirit will be released, and possess you. Later, we can ask the spirit questions and all, and if we had enough of playing, we must ask the spirit to leave. The chant goes like ‘dear spirit, please leave us, we are done playing with you’. And if the spirit answers no, you have to keep asking until it finally say yes and that’s how you play, I think there’s more but probably it’s not important…” she took a deep breath and smile “… isn’t it fun?”

First of all, the four of us really do believe in the paranormal and all, and as I scan each of their faces, only SinB and Yuju are excited about playing this game, since they are always hyper and thinking that they could befriend these things. I’m not sure if I could call this a game since it involves these supernatural beings and as a fan of horror stories, games like these never end well.

“I’m not sure about playing this thing” Eunha said. Her eyes kept glancing towards the classroom door as if the teacher would be here any minute.

“Oh come on! As long as we follow the rules, those things can’t hurt us… Gyujin?” SinB turns her attention towards me.

“I… just watch you guys play” I said hesitantly. SinB glared at me before facing Yuju.

“You guys are no fun. Yuju, shall we play?”

“I’m gonna go to the washroom” Eunha said suddenly, and we all just nod our heads as we watch her leave the class. Then, they start the game. I watch them as they put their fingers on the top of the coin and began chanting the words to call the spirit.

 

Spirit of the coin, are you here?

 

 

 

Spirit of the coin, are you here?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Spirit of the coin, are you here?

 

 

 

“It’s not working” Yuju said disappointedly. She probably expecting the coin to move but it didn’t.

“I wonder what we did wrong?” SinB said as she let go of the coin and started to think when suddenly…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Yo, what you guys playing?” Mark, the kid who sits behind me.

“These girls are playing ‘Spirit of the Coin’ but somehow failed” I answered dejectedly, to be honest, I was also expecting more but I guess today is not our day.

“Oh that game! Let me check your coin” I furrowed my eyebrows as I hand him the coin.

“Maybe that’s why it didn’t work” Mark says, examining the coin.

“Why?!” She asked rather loudly making Wei hush her.

“This is a new coin” Mark looked at our confuse faces and sighs heavily.

“You guys should make some research before playing this game. You see, it is said that the spirit of the coin is someone who died on the year the coin was published. Try using coins from the 1990s, it’ll probably work” after he said that, our heads nod in agreement, or maybe we’re just dumb.

“So any of you guys have some old coins?” We all check our wallet and pockets. I have none since I’m not really a fan on coins.

“I got it! It’s from 1997!!!” Yuju screamed earning another hush and a glare from Wei.

 

 

Then they start all over again.

 

 

 

 

Spirit of the coin, are you there?

 

 

Spirit of the coin, are you there?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Spirit of the coin, are you there?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yes

 

It moved! My eyes are wide open, almost out from their sockets. That is super scary and somehow exciting. I look at their expression and they probably feel the same thing as I do.

“I told you it’ll work, now ask it something” Mark said proudly before leaving us.

“What should we ask?”

“Its name!” Yuju and SinB looked at each other before nodding.

“What is your name?”

 

L

I

S

A

 

 

“Lisa is your name?”

“She’s a girl then”

 

 

Yes

 

 

 

“How did you die?” SinB glared at Yuju’s question, and Yuju smirked at her.

 

 

 

 

 

F

I

R

E

 

“She died in a fire… where?”

 

 

H

E

R

E

 

 

“She died here?”

“I heard our school was on fire during 1997, probably she’s one of the victims”

 

“Why are you still here?”

 

 

S

C

H

O

O

L

 

“She must’ve been a good student. She still wants to go to school” All of us were laughing when suddenly the coin moved without any question.

 

 

T

H

E

Y

 

A

R

E

 

H

E

R

E

 

 

We looked at each other with worried expression.

“Who are they?”

 

T

H

E

Y

 

W

H

O

 

D

I

E

D

 

B

E

F

O

R

E

 

M

E

 

 

“That sounds scary. Let’s finish the game, English period is almost over”

“Dear, spirit, please leave us, we are done playing you”

 

 

Goodbye

 

 

“Can I let go of the coin now?”

“I think so”

Care

Please log in to read the full chapter