Chapter 3

Step-Love

 

Sulli sat down in her seat with a thud. She was mad for some reason. This morning Minho irritated her by inventing some rules to get on her nerve and then he told her indirectly to not dare to fall for him while they were living in the same house.

Sulli snickered. "Wow! He is impossible, isn't he?"

Not just that, earlier Minho just allowed himself to get those girls swooning over him and acted like nothing happened. If he didn't ride her into the campus, those girls wouldn't see them and looked like they were ready to attack him if she wasn't there.

Sulli chuckled cynically. "Those girls really crazy. He isn't even handsome."

'Yes because handsome is understatement. He's drop dead gorgeous.' Sulli's mind protested almost instantly. She shook her head abruptly.

No! She does not find him attractive, never, ever.

Sulli hissed. "Tsk! He's driving me so so irritated!"

"Who?"

Sulli almost jumped in her seat. When she jerked her head to the side she saw Krystal, her best friend was curiously looking at her.

When did she arrived? Why Sulli did not feel her presence at all?

And as if Krystal could read Sulli's look she answered her question. "I've been here ever since you stomped in and sat yourself down, mumbling about something… but I suppose it's actually about someone you get mad at."

Sulli took a deep breath and pulled out her books. "I'm not mad at someone. Just bad mood."

"And what make you have a bad mood this early?"

"Him!" Sulli answered immediately. She sighed when she saw Krystal's smile.

"I thought you said you aren't mad at someone. So who is 'him'?" Krystal asked.

"Just someone."

"Who is that 'someone'?"

"Someone you don't know."

"Then who is that 'someone I don't know'?"

"You! I'm annoyed when someone annoy me. And you are annoying me right now." Sulli snapped.

Krystal giggled. Sulli was indeed having a bad mood. Krystal already had a feeling of why Sulli was irritated, not exactly why but she thought she knew who.

"Aren't you tired at all to always get mad at your stepbrother?" Krystal asked and it made Sulli stopped whatever she was doing to glare at her friend.

"How many times have I told you to not mention about my 'stepbrother' in college?" Sulli said, whispering through her gritted teeth. Why did Krystal have to get on her nerve too? One was enough, Sulli didn't need more. "There is nothing about that to be proud of that you always have to say it aloud."

"But there is nothing to be shame of with that too." Krystal said. "You said it yourself that they are being nice to you so why do you care that much about what people will think."

Sulli couldn't answer to that. Yes, from time to time she told Krystal of the way Minho and his dad treat her. They were nice and truthfully there was a very tiny part of her liked it but then again she couldn't seem to adapt herself to the situation just yet. It's been 3 months and she still found herself being cold towards them at time.

Sulli opened her bag and found the black glasses.

"What's this?"

"Just a little gift."

Sulli remembered last night she accepted Minho's gift. She still somehow felt touched about it. Something stirred inside of her when she thinks of Minho could notice small little thing about her need when no one could ever do that to her before.

Sulli sighed. She knew she doesn't hate Minho but she just doesn't know why she treated him coldly despite his kindness. But she knew, much or less there were already parts of her slowly warming up to him, so she guesses it won't be that long until she will accept him wholeheartedly as a big brother.

Big brother...

Tsk! Again… Why does this word still bother her?

 


 

Minho entered a department as he gently pushed the glass door open. He heard a person whining about something as he smiled.

"Good morning." Minho greeted about 3 staffs there. He walked over to one of them. "Why are you having a bad mood in such the morning, Hyoyeon noona?"

Hyoyeon smiled hugely when she saw Minho. "Ah Minho what bring you here?"

Minho put a cup of coffee on Hyoyeon's desk. "I know you would like something to drink to cool down noona, that's why I'm here." He began to give the other two staffs of his cups of coffee he brought with a smile.

"Really? Or you are here because you want to see someone?" Sooyoung said as she accepted Minho's coffee gleefully.

Minho chuckled. "You're over thinking noona. I'm here to submit my work."

"So you aren't here because of me?" Hyoyeon said with a pout.

Taeyeon cut in. "Yes, he is not." She turned to smile at Minho. "Thanks Minho for the coffee. It helps us. By the way Yuri is expecting you. You come in the perfect time. She has been out of mood since we are coming to work this morning."

Minho nodded and gestured them that he will be inside Yuri's office as he walked on.

Hyoyeon shook her head. "I'm wondering if she has her period or she's breaking up with her boyfriend. Since this morning I submit 3 of my works! 3 of them! But all I had been paid for staying up late to do them was her snaps."

"Yes Hyoyeon we knew that. You have been ranting the same thing for how many time… I lost count already." Taeyeon said and then she smiled. "Don't worry, we have no impact on Yuri to sooth her bad mood but for sure Minho does, doesn't he?"

Sooyoung agreed. "I guess so."

 

 

 

Minho knocked the door softly. He heard a girl's mumble to allow him in. Opening the door, Minho let himself slip in and saw Yuri on the chair, giving her back to the door as she read something.

"What are you doing here? You will have to submit me your work an hour later Hyoyeon. Aren't you suppose to concentrate on your editing now?" Yuri said flatly.

Minho smiled. So that was true that Yuri seemed to be out of mood.

Yuri didn't hear any response so she whirled her chair around to meet with a paper cup before her face.

"Hot Chocolate drink, your favorite." Minho said before he put it on her desk. "I should've bought you some cold drink instead of that."

Yuri smiled. "And why so? You know I love hot drink."

"Because you need one to cool down yourself. Iced Chocolate or Chocolate Frape would be more suitable for your current mood." Minho said.

Yuri took a sip of her drink. "But you fail to know that my bad mood would go away with the drink of my favorite, it doesn't depend on hot or cold as long as I love it."

"Oh." Minho rubbed his neck and chuckled with a nod. "Okay I will note that in mind."

Yuri saw Minho coming in with an envelope in his hand and she smiled hugely. "Thanks god Minho. I've been waiting for you to submit your work."

"I'm sorry for taking too long to finish this one. Something came up recently and I needed to attend to that until I almost got no time to write." Minho said, giving Yuri his white envelope.

"Something came up?!" Yuri asked, concerned. "What's wrong?"

"Ah, just a family matter but it wasn't a problem." Minho said.

Yuri nodded reluctantly. Minho didn't seem wanting to share anything with her and she actually didn't like it when he did that. She tried to smile wider. "Good then."

"So…" Minho started. He was hesitant to ask something as he tried to choose proper words. He was bad at it and he knew it because he just messed it somehow this morning with Sulli and he didn't even know where was wrong of his word that drove her mad.

"So?"

"Huh?" Minho was snapped back. He saw Yuri frowning at him. Yes, he was about to ask her something but then suddenly his mind was occupied with Sulli.

"What are you going to say to me?" Yuri asked. She smiled, seeing Minho seemed to be in trance earlier.

Minho took a deep breath. "Well… Umm, are you and Siwon hyung fighting?"

Yuri faded her smile.

Minho sighed inwardly. That's it, he just offended Yuri. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be nosy about your relationship. I'm just-"

"It's okay Minho." Yuri cut him off with a smile. "We fought yesterday but I guess we are fine now, considering our phone call earlier before you came."

Minho grinned. "That's relief. I could guess it whenever you are forcing yourself on your staffs. But now I'm relieved that you both are fine."

Yuri smiled a little and changed the topic. "Back to your work Minho, I will read it later before I pass it to editor. If there is something change I will let you know."

"Okay, then.." Minho said. He prepared himself to stand up when Yuri stopped him.

"Well Minho, can you consider again about working in the office with us? You will get paid more than we currently offer you." Yuri said.

Minho shook his head. "Yuri, you know me that I can't be productive on doing my work in one space. I need inspiration from places I visit. Especially I want to be alone to concentrate."

Yuri sighed. "Alright then. I have no power to convince you anymore." She smiled. "Then I hope you agree to my next offer. Are you free this evening? How about a dinner together?"

Minho knew right away he can't. His has to fetch Sulli from college. "I don't think I can." Minho smiled apologetically.

Yuri was disappointed but she didn't show anything on her face other than a smile of understanding she put up.

"But lunch would be perfectly fine." Minho said. "You don't mind right?"

"Of course I don't."

 


 

Sulli didn't call Minho but she sent him a text message that her class had already ended.

"Let's see today. How long will it take him to pick me up today?" Sulli mumbled to herself as she shoved her phone in her bag. She saw a box of her black glasses Minho gave her. "You are in luck that I'm no longer mad at you since I have a big heart."

Sulli sighed as she looked at her watch. At least she needed to wait for Minho about half an hour if he wasn't late. Sulli thought, she shouldn't be here alone, danger would probably come her way again if she stumbled to the drunken gang from yesterday.

Sulli looked around. Students flew the campus as usual but they will not mind her business if there was something happening to her.

"I need to be more careful for my own safety." Sulli said as her eyes scanned around. She snapped her finger when she saw a bookstore opening across the street. "There. You will be my shelter for now until Minho comes."

Sulli crossed the street quickly and about to push the door of the bookstore in when her eyes caught on an advisement paper, sticking on the glass door. She read it attentively and then something registered in her mind as she grinned.

Sulli ripped the paper off with her before pushing the door open but then someone bumped in her shoulder as he made his way inside the store. He didn't even turn to apologize by running into someone.

"What a rotten attitude!" Sulli said with a scowl.

She decided to let it slid and went in. She looked around and found the counter as there was someone behind it.

"Excuse me?" Sulli greeted a lady with almost an overly smile.

"Yes Miss, what can I help you?"

"I just happen to see this when I walk in to your store." Sulli said and put the paper of advertising on the counter. "Are you still…looking for a part time employee?"

"How old are you?"

Someone other than the lady asked behind her. Sulli whipped her head around and she almost rolled her eyes when she recognized the owner of the voice belong to the rude guy from earlier. He was looking straight at her from head to toe… No he was likely checking her out with a smirk while crossing his arms. Sulli hated that type of guy. He was acting all high when he truly appeared as a completed ert.

Sulli ignored him and paid back her attention to the lady behind the counter. "So can I work here?"

"Huh?" The lady asked as she was confused. This girl came here for a job but she didn't have any background of herself to give but she already asked if she could work here.

"You don't expect you would be hired right away with just this piece of paper right?" The guy asked as now he was leaning on the counter and stood next to Sulli. "How old are you?"

Sulli looked at him, annoyed. "For me I want a job or something personal that's related to me, all, have nothing to do with you. Mind to go away and mind your own business!"

The guy laughed. This girl was no gentle.

Sulli narrowed her eyes. "What's so funny?"

"You." The guy answered. He studied her slowly. Sulli wore an outfit ordinarily and she had a bag with herself. So he could guess she was enrolling to the college across the street. "Are you a college student here?"

Sulli was irritated but she had to be under control or else this stranger could drive her mad. "Why don't you just go away when I'm asking nicely. Don't speak to me like I'm enjoying your presence when clearly I'm not. So don't make me repeat myself."

Wow! She was sarcastic, wasn't she? But sarcasm could be a charm of someone and he's beginning to take note that sarcastic is something that he would look into someone. And that someone has to be as interesting as the scowl girl before him.

"Well…" The guy started and turned to face the lady Sulli was talking to earlier. "We still need a part timer right?"

The lady was confused as much as Sulli but then she just nodded her head making him grinning wider.

"Then you are hired Miss." The guy said simply to Sulli.

"Are you kidding me?" Sulli said. His joke wasn't funny and she was surely not entertaining. But then none of these two spoke in response and Sulli looked back and forth between them until something dawned on her. "Are you the owner of the store?"

The guy tried to hold his laughter as he shook his head. "Nope. I'm just a son of the owner. My parents have many businesses on hands, so I don't think just by hiring a part time staff here also need their approval. I can decide by my own." He turned to look at the lady behind the counter. "Right Luna?"

Luna nodded quickly. "Yes of course Taemin. You are the boss here. You said she is hired…" Luna then looked at Sulli. "You are hired then."

What the hell?

Sulli stared at them as if they were some crazy duo. What's wrong with this Taemin guy? She was not really polite with him since the beginning and why did he give her a job and that so easy? That's weird.

Moreover she clearly did not like him even one bit since the first place so there was no way she will work here under this conceit guy.

Sulli turned to leave. "I just remember something and that is I don't need a job anymore. So I'm going now."

"Why don't you stay and hear how much you would get paid first?" Taemin said and that made Sulli hesitant to walk on. Sulli was no gentle but she was easy to read. "We need an urgent staff and you are just coming in the right time."

"Really?" Sulli asked uncertainly.

"Really. I'm not having any motive or something if that's what you are thinking now." Taemin said. "So do you accept the job or not?"

Sulli actually had no attempt to find a job at first and it just happened. But to think again she doesn't want Minho to look at her as a useless body who only knows how to ask for money from her mum. She had to do something to make Minho see that she's capable to pay anything with the money she earns.

Sulli took a moment to think as she looked at Taemin as if trying to read him. He isn't likable but he doesn't look bad either. Though he's handsome but he surely isn't her type. Well, her type is someone taller, muscular and kind just like Minho.

Wait! What the hell was she thinking about? Why she suddenly was thinking about her 'type' and imagined Minho? This is crazy.

Sulli cleared . "Let's talk about how much I will get paid for working here?"

Taemin grinned. "Alright but first thing first, how old are you gal?"

Sulli rolled her eyes. Geez this guy! He wasn't hitting on her right? Or he was trying to get on her nerve?

 

 

 

To be continued.


Here is another update readers. I hope you all can still enjoy it even if there was no minsul moment for you guys. But there are many of them ahead so no worries :)

Thank you guys. Until next time.

Take care <3

 

161001 Minho's recommendation of 'Lipstick'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPRIP7EAJ-w

 

160929 Sulli's IG update: "I really like this lip color"

 

Call it coincident or not, I’m happy that we can still connect them in every little possible way <3