keep me without chains

My Hopes, They Are High (I Still Want It All)

Hoseok doesn’t look happy when Yoongi walks into the small bakery in the middle of their village, his under eyes swollen and dark from lack of proper sleep. He gives him a disapproving look as he kneads the dough beneath his fingertips.

“Were you out all night again?” He asks, sounding like a mother scorning her child. Yoongi shrugs, pulling his apron on over his head and moving to wash his hands in the pail of clean water. “You have to stop doing this. If you come in late and Jin finds out he’ll report you to the royal family and you’ll lose your job, and then I’ll have to work here all alone and-”

“Hoseok!” Yoongi groans. “Please, be quiet. I have a headache and I don’t need you yelling at me right now. Let’s just work quietly for once, okay?” He mumbles, and Hoseok narrows his eyes, but turns away so that his back is to him. Yoongi sighs gratefully, moving to grab a pan to mould the bread.

“You were with him again, though, weren’t you?” He whispers quietly, looking over his shoulder as Yoongi freezes. “The prince.”

“Hush!” Yoongi hisses. “If someone hears you saying that it could be my head.”

“Sorry, sorry,” Hoseok winces. “But you were, right? I don’t like this, Yoongi. I don’t want you to be in trouble because of this. It’s dangerous enough that you’re lusting after-” Yoongi narrows his eyes, turning around to shoot daggers at Hoseok’s back.

“Lusting? You think I’m risking my life because of lust? I love him.

“Fine, Yoongi, so you love him. But for what? What exactly do you get out of this? You could find a man that it’s less dangerous to be with, it doesn’t have to be the prince, ” he sets his fistful of flour down, turning to frown at his friend. Yoongi crosses his arms over his chest, taking a defensive stance. He represses the urge to turn his nose up defiantly. “I don’t want to be forced to watch as they hang you in front of the whole village. Do you think they would sentence him to a hanging death as well? Because if so, you’re more daft than I thought, and that’s saying a lot!”

“Hoseok!” Yoongi grits his teeth together, balling up his fists.

“No! Don’t ‘Hoseok!’ me! I’m telling you the truth. They’ll kill you, and Jimin will be locked in a tower at worst.” Yoongi furrows his brows, his shoulders slumping as he mulls over his words.

“It’s just as dangerous for him as it is for me,” he says quietly, unsure of his words even as they’re coming out of his mouth. “He could lose everything. He’s the heir to the throne.”

“And you’re just one step above a peasant. It wouldn’t take much to make you disappear. All they have to do is cover this up with an arranged marriage and he’s sitting pretty while you’re six feet under the ground.”

“Nobody is going to find out because nobody is going to catch us! Just keep your mouth shut and nobody will know.” Yoongi can feel the backs of his eyes starting to prick painfully as tears well up in them, and he turns away from Hoseok once more, not wanting to see his sympathetic expression one second longer.

“I didn’t mean to upset you. You know I just want the best for you, and if we’re being honest… Jimin is certainly not the best, all his riches and power aside.”

“It’s not about the fact that he’s a prince. In fact, I really wish he wasn’t, because things wouldn’t be as complicated as they are right now.” He sniffles a bit, moving to put the bread in the oven to bake. “I would be with him no matter the circumstances… no matter the world, or our place in it, Hoseok.”

“I hear what you’re saying, but your love can’t protect you from the law when they come for you.” Yoongi shrugs.

“Well, then it would have been a hell of a ride, wouldn’t it?” And they both go quiet, working in silence for the rest of the day.

_

“Darling!” Jimin hears his mother call, and he groans, rolling out of bed and scratching at his stomach. He’s been in bed since Yoongi left, his body miserable and aching with no explanation other than that being apart from him was beginning to become physically painful.

“Jimin! Get out here, now!” His father butts in, and he furrows his brows, his palms starting to clam up as he hears the irritation in his voice. He pulls on a pair of pants and a thin silk shirt, moving towards his door and peeking out, looking up and down the hall. Namjoon stands at one end of it, his arms crossed in front of him. He’s posed protectively, but at a safe distance as to provide Jimin with an inkling of privacy.

Jimin shivers at the feeling of the cool marble beneath his bare feet, and he rubs his arms, closing his bedroom door behind him.

“What’s the damage?” He asks his friend, and Namjoon smirks down at him.

“I think it’s best if you go and see for yourself, prince.” He swears under his breath, running his fingers through his hair and pushing it out of his eyes, turning to make his way down the staircase. He sees his parents sitting at the grand table in the dining room, and for once, it’s set for more than three people. Jimin frowns to himself, his feet moving forward of their own accord.

“Mother?” He calls out, standing in the doorway. The king and queen turn to look up at him, his mother with a gentle grin, and his father impassively. A third person sits beside them, looking out of place and uncomfortable with the situation. He’s taller than Jimin, from what he can tell, and his hair hangs in his eyes, cut and styled so that it rests just beneath his brows. Jimin looks back at his parents curiously, waiting for them to speak.

“This is Kim Taehyung.”

“...Okay…” He trails off when Taehyung looks up at him, looking a bit panicked. He furrows his brows again.

“We heard he’s a friend of a friend of yours. Min Yoongi, was it?” His father speaks up, looking over at Taehyung, whose hands are trembling.

“Uh… yes, sir. Min Yoongi.” Jimin tries his hardest not to tense up at the mention of his name, and he his suddenly dry lips.

“What about Yoongi, father? What’s he doing here?” He asks, growing impatient.

“Don’t snap at me, boy. I’m getting to it,” his father hisses. Jimin shuts his mouth immediately. “This boy wants to become a member of our guard. Since he is a friend of a friend of yours… we’re considering letting him on to work under Kim Namjoon. We trust your judgement.” Judgement? Trust? So they hadn’t discovered… he lets out a deep exhale.

“Oh.” He breathes out. Taehyung’s cheeks have gone bright pink and Jimin gives him a look, gesturing for him to calm down when his parents aren’t looking. “That sounds like a fine plan, father. He’ll make a great addition to the security team.”

“We’re glad to hear you say that. You haven’t got many friends. It’s nice to make them with the guards so that way you can have them inside with you all the time!” His mother beams, and Jimin nods awkwardly in agreement.

“Right… well, mother, I’m going to go and show Taehyung around, if that’s okay.” She nods her head, waving her hand in the air to dismiss them. Taehyung scrambles up from his seat, and Jimin reaches an arm out for him, both of them bowing towards his parents before they leave the room.

Jimin waits until they’re up the stairs and away from all the housekeepers to speak.

“You’re a friend of Yoongi’s?” He asks, furrowing his brows. “I’ve never met you before.” Taehyung blushes again.

“Um… Yoongi is kind of… well. He doesn’t… like to share you with anyone.” He mumbles out. Jimin’s face lights up at that, and he stands up straighter. “He won’t talk about you to anyone except our friend Hoseok. I think he thinks we’re too nosy, or something.”

“Well, are you?” Taehyung smiles sheepishly.

“A bit. But can you blame us?” He asks. Jimin shakes his head. “It’s really cool that he’s friends with the prince. But that’s not the only reason we’re nosy. He gets really flustered when he talks about you,” Taehyung presses his lips together, his eyes widening as if afraid he’s overstepped. Jimin lets out a laugh that’s borderline giggling.

“Does he?” Taehyung scrunches up his nose. “Well, it’s only fair. I’m sure my friends would tell you I get the same way when I speak of him.” They both walk quietly throughout the large castle, Jimin only pointing out the things that are most interesting to him.

“How do you live here? I’d be so lost all the time, even having spent my whole life here,” he says once they stop in front of Jimin’s room, where Namjoon is waiting for them.

“I haven’t even visited the entire palace. It’s like walking ten miles. I hate exercise.” Namjoon rolls his eyes once they’re close enough to see him, and Jimin sticks his tongue out at him. “This is the head of my security, Kim Namjoon. You’ll work under him, but don’t worry… I’m very good to those who work for me.”

Taehyung reaches out a hand and Namjoon takes it, shaking it firmly.

“Introducing me as your guard rather than your best friend? I’m offended, Jimin.” They both laugh, and Taehyung furrows his brows.

“You guys are best friends? How does that work?”

“Don’t you know how to separate business from your personal life? It’ll do you good, especially in this line of work.” Namjoon says. “Jimin is very… likable, as much as it pains me to say so.” Jimin smirks up at him, and he ruffles up his hair.

“But don’t your personal feelings get in the way of things when there’s a threat to Jimin?”

“Well, there aren’t that many scares. But I think our personal relationship fuels my instincts. I get a bigger rush of adrenaline when it comes to saving him. I don’t think that’s a bad thing.” He answers honestly. Taehyung hums thoughtfully to himself before turning back to Jimin.

“They must really trust you. They didn’t ask what my credentials were, didn’t ask if I’ve worked security for royals before… they didn’t even ask if I spent time as a soldier.”

“My parents are... “ he purses his lips. “They’re very trusting people. It’s gotten them into a lot of trouble before, but when it comes to me, it obviously comes in handy.” Taehyung nods in understanding. “They expect me to be a good leader some day. I’d argue that they think that I’m already ready to be king,” he sticks out his chest, putting his fists against his hips and Taehyung can’t help but laugh.

“Do you feel that you’re ready to be king, prince?”

“Oh, definitely not. Not even nearly.” He grins, pushing open the door to his bedroom and gesturing for the two of them to go inside first. “But they don’t need to know that. I’ve got quite a few years left, I’d say.” He shuts the heavy door behind them, giving Taehyung a moment to take his room in.

One of the few things that Jimin gets to control in his life is how he decorates his space. His room is painted a light cream color and his bed is large, three mattresses stacked on top of each other and stuffed full of the softest feathers. The springs holding them together are all checked weekly to make sure none of them have snapped, and his sheets and duvet are a blood red color. The canopy that surrounds the dark, wooden frame is the same, and over all, Jimin feels that the room comes together. It’s his happy place… the place where he gets to spend private time with Yoongi.

“Wow. The lifestyle of the rich and royal,” Taehyung whistles, and Namjoon lets out a deep, throaty laugh.

“Your room will be grand, too. I could even let you decorate it yourself, if you wanted!” Jimin says excitedly. Taehyung looks over at him curiously from where he’s still standing in the middle of the room. Namjoon pats the space on the couch next to him for him to join him.

“What do you mean my room?” Jimin and Namjoon share a look.

“If you’re apart of the royal guard you have to move into the castle. You have to be near at all times, in case of intruders or an attack.”

“Oh. I wasn’t made aware of that.” He pouts. “See, this is why I shouldn’t have even mentioned that we had mutual friends! Are they not going to give me a proper introduction to this thing I’ve gotten myself into?”

“Well, to be fair, that’s kind of my job.” Namjoon says, and Tae narrows his eyes at him. “What? You haven’t started yet. Right now it’s all about getting to know your surroundings so that way, you can keep tabs on Jimin and if something happens and I tell you where to go, you’ll be able to get there without any trouble.”

“I guess that makes sense.” Jimin plops down on his bed, staring up at the ceiling as he lets Namjoon deal with the business part of this new relationship he was forming with one of Yoongi’s friends. He smiles to himself. Taehyung was Yoongi’s friend because they had similar interests, right? That’s why you kept people around, because you had things in common. So that meant that Taehyung was like a branch of Yoongi… so when Yoongi couldn’t be around, Jimin has Taehyung.

Jimin sits up once the two have gone quiet, and he beams at Taehyung, who’s looking back at him even more confused than he was before.

“What is it, Jimin?” Namjoon asks, and Jimin bites his lip.

“Taehyung… tell me everything you know about Min Yoongi.”