Chapter 3

You Are My Light
Chapter 3
Today is the scheduled date for my operation. I am very excited to see again. To see Jeonghan. Just the thought of it made my heart beat fast.
 
“Are you afraid?” I shook my head in disagreement. He brushed my hair away from my face while I told him “I’m very excited to see you.” He didn’t say a word and instead he pulled me into a hug.
 
“Promise me that you would be the first person I see after my operation goes well.” He chuckled and said “Impossible. You would see Mingyu first.” My name was called signaling me that it was time for the preparations for my operation. “Hoping for the best.” He said and kissed me on the forehead. I can’t wait to see you, Yoon Jeonghan.
 
 
Bright lights were the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes. I also saw Dr. Kim and he slightly checked my eyes. I looked around the room hoping to see Jeonghan but he wasn’t there.
 
“You’re good, Bella.” I’m glad by what Dr. Kim just said but I can’t help but be disappointed for not seeing him.
 
“Where’s Jeonghan?” Dr. Kim’s facial expression changed when I mentioned his name. He handed me a letter saying,
 
“Bella,
 
I left because I was afraid that you’re perception of me would change when you see me. I was afraid that you wouldn’t like a man like myself. But what I did for you and what we felt for each other were all real. Always remember that. Sorry, and I love you.”
 
Jeonghan
 
I hurriedly removed everything that was connected to me and ran outside. I didn’t care whether the people looked or talked about me. I just have to see Jeonghan. I reached the sidewalk and on the other side I saw an angelic guy with hair down to his shoulders.
 
“Jeonghan.” I said mindlessly. The man just stared at me at first but when I mentioned his name, he smiled and waved at me. Is it really him? I was about to cross the road when a bus passed in front of me and a man pulled me away from danger. It was Dr. Kim. He disappeared at the same time the bus did. I sighed deeply. I’ll wait for you. Even if it takes more than 1004 days, I will wait for you. My angel. My Jeonghan.
 
A few months have passed and he still didn’t show up. I miss him already. If only he is here.
 
I sighed and closed my eyes. It’s already evening and I’m tired from today’s work. I felt the bus stop. I never bothered to look at the person who rode. I kept my eyes closed since I’m still far from my destination.
 
With eyes still closed, I felt someone sit beside me. Wait. This scent seems familiar. It was the same scent as from the man I love. Then someone’s hand caressed my face and said “I love you so much.”
 
I opened my eyes and saw the man beside me looking surprised. He was about to leave when I held his hand and said “Are you going to leave me again?”
 
A book suddenly dropped. I picked it up with one hand while still not letting go of him. I was shocked by what I saw.
 
“Is this yours?” He cleared his throat and nodded. How can this happen? This was the very same book that I’ve lost before I lost my sight.
 
3 years ago
 
I’m on my way to school when I saw a man with unusually long hair standing in the bus. I just couldn’t take my eyes off of him. I quickly took a paper and pen out and drew him secretly.
 
The bus stopped just as I finished sketching. I hurriedly stood up to go down. The bus was crowded making me bump into the man I was drawing earlier. I dropped some of my belongings, and he helped me pick it up. I thanked him and quickly departed.
 
I reached my school and noticed the book I wrote was missing. I tried to return to the bus but that was when it happened, the accident that led me to lose my sight.
 
 
I opened the book and saw my signature. I quickly took the drawing I’ve always kept in my wallet and placed it beside Jeonghan’s face.
 
“I guess we’re really meant to be.” I said to him while smiling. He took the drawing and looked at the book. It seemed like all that happened these past 3 years came back rushing to him. He smiled but it quickly disappeared.
 
“I’m sorry Bella. The thought that you might not accept me when you see me scared me. I—“ I stopped his words and swiftly pulled him down the bus. There was an amusement park exactly where the bus stopped.
 
“Yoon Jeonghan, you are the very first guy that caught my eye. It was also amazing that you were the last person I get to see before I went blind. Did you know how much I suffered when you left me?!” I was almost crying. He panicked and hugged me while endlessly saying sorry.
 
“Bella, let me tell you a story. Two months ago, I saw a woman in the bus. She kept on staring and I thought that she liked me.” He said while laughing. “And that time, Cupid shot my heart. Since then, I never took my eyes off of her. There’s not a time that we were together wherein I never stared at her. And that woman is the woman I am hugging right now. The woman I love.”
 
I smiled at his confession. I removed his arms around me and faced him. He looked away from me
 
“Now I can stare at you the same way.” He faced me. I tiptoed and whispered to his ear
 
“I love you too.”
 
And that’s how my dark life became filled with light because of an angel named Yoon Jeonghan.
 
 
END
YOU ARE MY LIGHT; CHAPTER 3