Chapter 5

Jeonghan's Kisses
Chapter 5
XII. Kiss No. 12 – Confusion

 
 

The semester came to an end quickly and as of the moment Jeonghan was looking for a way to earn money to keep up with the bills for his rented apartment.

 
 

Today he’s spending a hot summer day inside a public library, learning the ropes of the library card system, as well as how the books are organized, getting acquainted with the shelves and the digital tracking system. The job seems to be fun if not for the fact that he has to spend it with a stone-faced, quiet guy who spends most of his time gluing his eyes to the book rather than initiating a conversation.

 
 

He only answers Jeonghan’s questions with minimal nods or one-sentenced straightforward answers. No follow-up questions, no segways, nada. However, it couldn’t be denied that anyone who would see him would definitely be contented with just staring. And the silent treatment is an added bonus to his charm.

 
 

“Would you like to go eat lunch together?” Jeonghan asks during the break time and the other’s reaction was too endearing, Jeonghan had to squeal at the sight: widened eyes, as if taken aback, a light tint on his cheeks, then an averted gaze followed by a small curt nod with a stuttered “I won’t mind”.

 
 

Jeon Wonwoo is indeed a lethal biological weapon, he thought.

 
 

The days pass by and before they knew it, they became opposites that are somehow compatible. Jeonghan was able to get in touch with Wonwoo’s inner self despite the shy exterior, and it probably has caused an attraction for the older.

 
 

When both were called for a clean up in the library one fateful Saturday morning, Jeonghan thought that the sight of the other getting all worked up in organizing the books and dusting off the shelf was indeed alluring.

 
 

Maybe I like Wonwoo. Maybe he’s the one.

 
 

The summer has been slow but none of them did mind, except for the fact that they had to endure more heat along the way, but if it meant being in Wonwoo’s presence for more than expected, he has no complaints at all.

 
 

It wasn’t until their last day on the job when they spent arranging the books that people left on the tables and updating the tracking system when Wonwoo blurted out a question that had Jeonghan choking on air.

 
 

“Do you like me, Jeonghan hyung?”

 
 

He was definitely ready to confirm his feelings but somehow, somewhere, the words have piled up on his trachea and everything was a blur except that he was choking for the words to come out.

 
 

But there was only silence.

 
 

Their eyes met and Jeonghan has never seen Wonwoo so vulnerable until his body just got pulled like gravity would on the earth, and their lips met. There was adrenaline, yes, but there was a nagging feeling at the back of Jeonghan’s mind. And he suddenly recalls a pair of hazel eyes, the ones on his dream, and he pulls away from the kiss.

 
 

“I’m sorry, Wonwoo.” And with that, he left along with the memories of his summer love.

 
 

XIII. Kiss No. 13 – Love

 
 

Two years have passed and it was two full years of not having a pair of lips attached to his. University life gave Jeonghan the awareness that what he had was obsession and compulsion of an unhealthy level. However, he mentally thanked himself for at least having that much self control despite occurring thoughts of having to kiss someone’s lips until he’s found the right one.

 
 

Except this time, he scans the crowd for a pair of familiar hazel eyes that were on his dream. And at the back of his mind he knows that those eyes don’t only exist in the dream, but that he has seen them somewhere too.

 
 

It wasn’t until he saw the new student in Philosophy class, whose hair all neatly combed, figure thin and lean, and a smile that was hypnotizing. Worst part was that, the boy sat just right next to him.

 
 

What’s worse than the worst? The person striking up a conversation.

 
 

“Hello, am I in the right classroom?” The innocence and simplicity of the male was indeed too much for Jeonghan to comprehend that all he could do is nod as if in a daze. It wasn’t until he saw the item on the guy’s desk to which he perks up.

 
 

“Excuse me but, how did you get that keychain?” It was small and blue with a little dolphin design on it, which looked oddly familiar because Jeonghan swears he has been looking for a similar keychain.

 
 

“I bumped into a stranger once and he forgot to take this with him. I bring this along in case he finds it.”

 
 

“Was it perhaps a stranger you met in the burger joint across?”

 
 

He doesn’t understand why but the beating of his heart rang through his ears and his palms slowly start to accumulate sweat. It wasn’t until he meets the other’s brown eyes and he knows that he’s the one.

 
 

“Why yes. Are you perhaps that stranger?” Of course, Jeonghan wouldn’t expect to get recognized for it had happened roughly three years ago, when his hair was longer and his face a bit rounder.

 
 

“Ah yes it’s me, I’m Yoon Jeonghan, Psychology major.”

 
 

“Pleasure to meet you, Jeonghan. I’m Hong Jisoo, Linguistics major. Say, are you free after this? We could go grab lunch together if you want.”

 
 

“I’d love you- I mean I’d love to!” Both of them stared at each other with pink cheeks before exploding into laughter, and it felt as if they were the only people in the room.

 
 

“Great! From now on, let’s be friends!” And it was an offer he couldn’t refuse.

 
 

The boy seated next to him is the one, and Jeonghan knows his adventure just started. His life has a new chapter and he wants to spend each moment slowly with Jisoo, cherishing it.

 
 

The thirteenth kiss of love could wait.

JEONGHAN'S KISSES; CHAPTER 5