Biggest Regret

Biggest Regret

I’ve only ever had one regret in my entire life, the biggest regret, actually. And that was never being able to tell my best friend, Taeyeon about my feelings for her.

 

“Excuse me, Miss, would you like some snacks or refreshments? It’ll be a few more hours before we arrive to America.”

 

I quickly hide the photo on my lap and smiled politely at the stewardess. “No, thanks.”

 

When she walked away to address another customer in the first class section, I placed the photo face-down and continue writing on it. Honestly, I felt silly for writing a confession on a photo of me and Taeyeon—she’ll never see it and I’ll never be brave enough to give it to her. That photo, to be exact, took place during high school when we decided to be rebellious one day and ditch school. To commemorate that special memory, we took a photo of us holding up crown-shaped lightsticks.

 

A sudden tremble of the plane had me looking up.

 

“Attention everyone, there is a storm up ahead. Please buckle your seatbelts immediately.”

 

Placing the photo into my front pocket, I quickly obliged with the pilot's orders. Despite reassurances from the stewardess, the plane continued to shake vigorously.

 

I wanted to believe that we were all going to make it out of this okay as long as the turbulences quickly passed, but then we were instructed to calmly and slowly get to the emergency exits. The next thing I heard was someone yelling, “The plane is going to crash!” followed by a bunch of people shoving each other to get to the overwing exits.

 

My heart had stopped beating for that second, because I knew death was just another second away.

 

Taeyeon, I love you.

 

***

 

Day One

 

I woke up and blinked. Was this heaven or hell? When my eyes finally adjusted to the blinding rays of light emitted from the window, I realized I was in a bedroom, nestled in a warm blanket.

 

Heaven, this was most definitely heaven.

 

“Look who’s finally up.”

 

Jumping at the sound, I fell off, landing harshly on the ground.

 

“Here.”

 

“T-Taeyeon?” I mumbled, ignoring the glass of water in her hand and studied the cold look she was directing at me.

 

How did I get here? Wasn’t I on my way to America? Why was Taeyeon here? And why was Taeyeon staring at me as if I just told her she looked fat in that cute pink dress of hers?

 

“Glad you remembered me at all.” Taeyeon rolled her eyes and placed the glass on the bedside table.

 

What’s that supposed to mean? I stared at her confusedly. Deciding on the best kind of response, I said, “I-I’m sorry for whatever I did?”

 

My voice! It’s deep! Why?!

 

“Baekhyun,” Taeyeon rubbed her eyes agitatedly. “It’s actually tiring to always hear you say sorry when we both know you’re just going to do it again.”

 

She called me Baekhyun. Why did she call me Baekhyun?! I moved around her, heading straight to the bathroom and finally looking at myself in the mirror.

 

“Oh my god! No, this isn’t happening! What the hell!” I stared and rubbed my hands all over the face that had captured Taeyeon’s heart for five years now. It was Baekhyun’s face in the mirror all right. I had secretly glared at him whenever I was the third wheel, so his features were already imprinted in my memory.

 

“Baekhyun, what’s gotten into you? Did you hit your head when you fell? You’re acting weird.” Taeyeon tugged me back into the bedroom while I’m too confused to answer her endless stream of questions.

 

“B-Baekhyun…” I willed myself to speak. “I-I’m B-Baekhyun?” But I’m not Baekhyun! I’m Tiffany Hwang! I’m a girl! I was on a crashing plane before this all happened!

 

O-Oh. That plane.

 

“Yes, Baekhyun. You are Baekhyun.” Taeyeon placed her palm over my forehead. “Your temperature seems normal.”

 

Ironically, there was nothing normal about this. I think when I died(?), my soul might have swapped with Baekhyun’s. The last memory I could recall was wishing to see Taeyeon again.

 

“Are you trying to weird me out with your behavior so you can make me forget about what you did last night?”

 

“Last night?”

 

Sighing, Taeyeon sat in front of me and frowned deeply. “Last night—the night of our anniversary that you ditched me on. Ring a bell? Or did you forget because you were too drunk at the casino to remember?”

 

“I did that?” What an .

 

“Your acting skills are incredible, today, Baekhyun.” Taeyeon mused bitterly, and it hurt to see her like this even though I was not the actual cause of it.

 

Not wanting to see her frown for another second, I did something that the real Tiffany Hwang would never do—I pulled her to me and kissed her. Baekhyun would do this. I’ve actually seen him kiss her and then give a half-hearted apology whenever he messed up.

 

“I’m—I’m sorry, Taeyeon-ah.”

 

“You mean it this time?”

 

Nodding my head and giving her my most earnest look, Taeyeon pulled me by my neck and kissed me hard. Oh my god, she was an aggressive kisser. I could barely keep up.

 

“Baek…”

 

I don’t respond and let my lips linger on her lower lip. Tasted like heaven.

 

“Baekhyun…”

 

Oh, right. That’s me.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Did you learn some new moves?” She suspiciously narrowed her eyes at me.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Y-Your kisses…” Taeyeon blushed. “They’re different.”

 

, of course, she’d notice something was different. I’m not exactly the best kisser since I’ve only kissed two girls in my entire life, and most of them were just quick pecks.

 

“S-Sorry, I didn’t mean to—” Please, whatever divine power is up there, put me out of this embarrassing ordeal. Heaven or hell, at this point, I’m okay with either.

 

“No, I like it.” Taeyeon admitted before tackling us both onto the bed.

 

Thank you, divine power, for granting me my final wish. However long you give me in this world, I’ll take it.

 

***

 

Day Two

 

I learned something while living in Baekhyun’s body. I. Hate. Wearing. Suits.

 

There’s only so much you can do to suits. It’s not like dresses, where there are multiple types of them. A suit is just a suit. They all look the same.

 

“Nice tie.” Taeyeon’s eyes twinkled at the pink-striped tie. “Thought someone disliked the color pink. Said it was too girly.”

 

Oh, no, Baekhyun did not. I seriously wished I could punch myself in the face right now. But that would be weird and it might actually hurt me. “I’m sorry for the error of my ways. For a long time, I was lost and misguided. Now I realize that pink is the best color in the entire universe. And just so you know, pink used to be a color for boys back then.”

 

“Okay, okay, chill.” Taeyeon laughed and led my grumpy self into the reception.

 

“Hey, guys!”

 

The brides, Yuri and Jessica, come flying into Taeyeon’s arms. The second they pulled apart, I immediately wrapped my arms around my two friends.

 

“B-Baekhyun?”

 

“I missed you guys so much.” I said, silently thanking the divine power for allowing me this opportunity to be here for their wedding.

 

“Are you drunk? Hey, Taeyeon, since when did Baekhyun become a hugger?”

 

“U-Um,” I rapidly released them and cleared my throat. Way to go, Baekhyun.

 

“Since he learned the error of his ways. He was lost and misguided, but not anymore.” Taeyeon responded playfully, throwing my previous words back at me.

 

“Can we eat already? I’m starving.” In an attempt to drift the attention to something else, I grabbed Taeyeon’s hand to lead us to the food but another hand stopped us.

 

“Taeyeon, hey, it’s good to see you.”

 

“Heechul,” Taeyeon jumped and soon they were participating in a twirling hug.

 

What the !

 

“Hey!” I growled, eyes darkening over the idiot Heechul until he finally let go of her. At least the guy had somewhat of a brain.

 

“Baekhyun.” Heechul nodded coldly at me.

 

“Heechul.” I wrapped my arm possessively around Taeyeon’s waist, silently declaring possession of the girl. Mine.

 

“Yah, what’s up with you two. Especially you, Baekhyun.” Taeyeon finally interrupted our glaring contest.

 

“I’ll see you later.” Heechul gave us the much-needed privacy.

 

“Baekhyun, seriously? What’s wrong with you?”

 

Widening my eyes, I stopped smirking at Heechul’s retreating figure. “Nothing. Why?”

 

“Nothing? You were clearly jealous of Heechul.” Before I can scoff and call her ridiculous, she poked my chest. “Admit it. Byun Baekhyun, are you jealous right now?”

 

Me? Jealous? Psh.

 

“Yes, I’m jealous.”

 

Grinning widely, Taeyeon tiptoed and pecked my cheek. “I knew it. But you usually don’t get jealous, especially not over Heechul. Didn’t you say he was too flamboyant and weird to be interested in anything but anime? Why the sudden change?”

 

I was ready to say the famous line, ‘because I learned the error of my ways…’ But in all honesty, it was because I knew Heechul had feelings for Taeyeon. He didn’t love her for as long as I did, but from experience, I knew the way he felt when he looked at Taeyeon. There was always longing in those eyes, which were the same as mine.

 

Baekhyun was an idiot, or maybe too overconfident to realize he had competition.

 

“It doesn’t matter who it is. You’re mine, Taeyeon.” And as long as I was in Baekhyun’s body, I was going to make sure everyone knew that.

 

***

 

Day Three

 

“I found some snacks for the movie.” I entered the living room and proudly shook the bag I had discovered hidden under a pile of uncooked pasta. It was a weird place to put snacks but thought nothing of it.

 

“Hey! That’s my jelly!” Taeyeon abruptly snatched the opened bag of jelly out of my hands and glared fiercely at me.

 

“So?” Taeyeon always shared her jelly with me, so I couldn’t figure out why she was acting like this.

 

“I was going to take it to work tomorrow.” She hugged it tightly to her chest, as if I was going to suddenly pry it out of her tiny fists.

 

“It’s a huge bag, Taeyeon. We can eat some now and you can bring the rest to work later.”

 

“No, you know the rules, Baekhyun. Don’t eat my jelly. Besides, you never liked eating this before.”

 

I could’ve gave up and let her have her way, behaving like the Baekhyun she knew, but something came over me as I walked up to her and glared right back. “You gluttonous pig!”

 

The next thing I heard was a snarl from the ‘pig’ before literally being jumped by her. She had her fingers on my cheeks, pulling and pinching me like no tomorrow. When I couldn’t take it anymore, I threw us to the ground and yanked her hands above her head. With my weight and height, she couldn’t do much but curse and wiggle around.

 

Who’s the man? Yeah, that’s right, me, Tiffany Hwang Miyoung!

 

“You’re so dead once I get out of this.” Taeyeon declared as she tugged at her wrists.

 

“But you’re the one unwilling to share, Taeyeon.” I grinned playfully at my stingy ‘girlfriend’ slash best friend. I never actually took Taeyeon as the stingy type. “Sharing is caring, you know.”

 

She had suddenly stopped trying to escape as she eyed me carefully. “Tiffany used to say that.”

 

“O-Oh…” I started to feel my cheeks burn up. “Well, it’s true. If, hypothetically, I had an infinite amount of strawberry pocky,” I freaking love strawberry pocky. Wish there was some hidden in that uncooked pasta drawer. “I’d always give you at least one.” Okay, this was probably a bad example. I actually sound like a stingier pig than Taeyeon right now.

 

“Hmm..” Taeyeon grunted, and it only took two blinks from me before I felt her lips move against mine.

 

“W-What was that for?” I ask, the heat surrounding my cheeks increased.

 

“I don’t know. I just suddenly felt like kissing you.” Taeyeon smiled.

 

Of course when Taeyeon says something like that, I have no other choice but to reciprocate the affection by kissing her back.

 

“You taste like strawberry.” She mumbled affectionately, and I squeeze our interlocked hands.

 

“That’s because strawberry jelly is pink.” I say matter-of-factly.

 

Taeyeon looked like she was about to say something, but instead, kissed me again.

 

***

 

Day Four

 

I looked at my phone screen and saw another text from Chanyeol, another two texts from D.O., another four texts from Chen, all asking me to go to the casino with them tonight.

 

“What’s up? You look annoyed.” Taeyeon peeked over my shoulder and reads the opened text messages.

 

“I-It’s nothing, really. I was just about to tell them no.” There’s no way I was going to upset Taeyeon more with Baekhyun’s constant gambling.

 

“No, you should go.”

 

“W-What?” I don’t want to go.

 

“It’s okay if it’s once in a while. Besides, you’ve been so good to me lately. Just think of this as a reward from your doting girlfriend.”

 

Ugh, she’s too good for Baekhyun.

 

“You sure?” Please say no.

 

“Yes. Besides, I was planning to go out with the girls tonight. We’re probably going to do each other’s nails and gossip. Really boring stuff. I doubt you’d want to tag along.”

 

Boring? It sounds like so much fun.

 

“So don’t worry about me. Okay?”

 

I hesitantly nodded my head. How bad could the casino be?

 

Bad. Oh so very bad.

 

“I just l-lost a m-million bucks.” I stared at the gambling table and wanted to pull my hair out as the dealer took my chips from me. “Taeyeon’s going to kill me.”

 

“That’s nothing. Go on and play another around.” Kai and Chen encouraged me. They had already lost around four million bucks each, so there was no point in asking if they were insane for wanting to continue. I looked towards D.O. for help, but his lucky is dancing on the table beside us as strangers threw D.O.’s winning chips in the air.

 

Yeah, okay. I’m done. “Let me just go to the restroom first.”

 

I didn’t even look back as I headed straight to the exit. Baekhyun’s body and I were officially done with gambling.

 

When I got home, I threw myself on the couch, reeking of cigarettes and alcohol.

 

“Baekhyun? What are you doing home so early? It’s barely ten.”

 

Lifting my dizzy head, I merely shrugged.

 

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Taeyeon sat on the floor beside me and my hair. She managed to clear away the dizziness in seconds.

 

“Taeyeon?” I struggled to crouch toward her.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Don’t force me to go to the casino ever again.” I pursed my lips and cushioned my face in her chest.

 

Here. This was where I wanted to be. Right here. I snuggled against her one more time.

 

***

 

Day Five

 

These abs make me want to play them as if they were drums. I pat my rock-hard stomach and grin.

 

“Are you checking yourself out?”

 

“N-No!” I hurriedly pull down my shirt. I was so sure I’d have a few minutes of me-time that I didn’t realize Taeyeon had arrived home.

 

“Riiight.” Taeyeon laughed and shook her head as she changed into her nightgown.

 

I immediately looked away. It seemed only right to be respectful and not check Taeyeon out as she undressed. Funnily, I do the same for my current body, only looking down when I had to my pants to do bathroom business.

 

“Babe...” Taeyeon suddenly purred, leaving me shocked to find her arms around me. Her fingers roamed around ‘my’ abs before I had time to respond to her sudden attack. “There’s no need to be embarrassed. I, too, appreciate this y body of yours.”

 

You’re killing me, Taeyeon.

 

Seconds later, we made out on the bed, and something that was painfully noticeable, stirred below me.

 

“B-Baekhyun.” Taeyeon panted as her fingers dug into my hair.

 

As if I had been drenched in a tub of ice cold water, I jumped away, feeling all kinds of emotions jumbling inside of me: hurt, sadness, arousal, confusion, and guilt.

 

You’re not Baekhyun. You’re Tiffany, her best friend.

 

“L-Let’s not do this tonight. I’m really tired.” I don’t wait for an answer as I rushed into the bathroom and locked the door. Thousands of thoughts ran through my head, none of which were very comforting.

 

She wouldn’t even be looking at me if she knew I wasn’t Baekhyun. Taeyeon deserves to be with the actual Baekhyun that she loves. No more hugs, no more kisses, no more late-night snacks. I have to find a way to get out of this body. It’s time to move on from this world.

 

***

 

Day Six

 

I didn’t get a wink of sleep last night. Too many questions kept me up.

 

Why was I still here? I was ready to move on. Wasn’t this how it worked? My unfinished business was solved since I finally got to experience a life with Taeyeon. Shouldn’t that mean I could leave?

 

Unless this was a permanent wish? Am I actually in hell, forever trapped in this body, forced to pretend to be Taeyeon’s boyfriend without ever having her know who I actually was?

 

Or was there something else I needed to do.

 

In the seven hours that I stayed up, I finally realized what that something else was.

 

“Baekhyun?”

 

I slowly turned to the bed and met Taeyeon’s squinted eyes.

 

“What are you doing up so early?”

 

“I couldn’t sleep.”

 

Taeyeon made her way to me and sat in front of me. “Why not?” Her arms s around my neck.

 

“B-Because…” I stammered as I hugged her back. Warmth. I’ll always remember this. “I have to leave.” It broke my heart just saying it out loud.

 

“What?” Taeyeon’s eyes were fully awake now as she pulled back just enough to see my teary face.

 

“I have to go, Taeyeon. For good.” Wiping my tears, I forced a smile at my confused and alarmed friend.

 

“Baekhyun, I don’t understand what you mean. Where do you have to go?”

 

Taking a deep, shaky breath, I finally admitted, “I’m—I’m not Baekhyun, Taeyeon. It’s me, Tiffany.”

 

I could feel her arms slipping away. “B-Baekhyun, you’re sounding crazy right now.”

 

“No, please just listen to me.” I grabbed her by the shoulders and spoke unwaveringly. “It’s really me, Tiffany. A few days ago, I woke up in Baekhyun’s body. It must have happened at the time that the plane crashed. I know it sounds insane, but I really think I was given a second chance. These past few days have been the best days of my entire life. I got to spend time with you, and I thought that was all I wanted, but I realized something. That wasn’t the only reason why I came back. I had something else that I still needed to do.” Feeling the weight lifted off my shoulders, I smiled at Taeyeon. “I came back to tell you that I love you, Taeyeon. I’ve been in love with you since the day we skipped school and went to Big Bang’s concert. Remember that? At the end of the concert, I told you that when I get married, I’d have Big Bang to perform for my wedding? And then you said you’d rather have EXO at yours.”

 

“I... remember,” Taeyeon’s eyes doubled in size. It was our secret, of course she remembered. But what really left her speechless was the idea that I was actually inside of Baekhyun. “T-Tiffany? It’s really you, isn’t it?”

 

“Yes, it’s me.” I couldn’t help but giggle when Taeyeon flinched after cautiously poking my cheek. “I’m sorry for springing all of this on you. But I had no other choice. I couldn’t leave otherwise.”

 

“L-Leave?” Taeyeon’s lip trembled. “What do you mean? Wouldn’t you just return to your body?”

 

“No, I can’t.”

 

“W-Why n-not?” She asked, but I had a feeling she already figured it out.

 

“I’m dead, Taeyeon. My biggest regret was you and never being able to tell you how I felt, but I’ve finally been able to say it. I can go now, and we can all move on from this.”

 

“Say it.” Taeyeon quietly demanded. She trembled and her eyes were filled to the brim, but she refused to blink in fear of me disappearing in that instant. “Say it again.”

 

Leaning forward, I cupped her cheeks and her tears instantly fell. “I love you.” I said, kissing her one last time.

 

“T-Tiffany, I—“

 

I saw a blinding light flash before my eyes. Burning me as if I were physically on the sun, my soul blasted up into the sky.

 

I guessed this was it. I no longer had regrets in my life. I just wished I was allowed a few more seconds to hear what she had to say.

 

Goodbye, Taeyeon.

 

***

 

Taeyeon’s POV

 

“Tiffany? Tiffany!” I shook the fainted body until I heard a response.

 

“Ughh…”

 

“T-Tiffany?” Relief washed over me to know that she was still here, that she was safely in my arms.

 

“Tiffany? Why are you calling me Tiffany?” Baekhyun stood up and went over to the restroom to wash his face. “Man, I feel like I’ve just been bulldozed in the head a thousand times. Seriously, how much did I drink last night?”

 

Feeling numb inside, I quietly sobbed in my hands.

 

She’s gone. She’s actually gone. If I had just realized it sooner… I never even got to… No. No, maybe I still can.

 

Taking out my laptop, I researched for hours about the accident. Each article was heartbreaking to read. I dreaded over the list of victims, hoping Tiffany Hwang wasn’t under it. Thankfully, there wasn’t a Tiffany Hwang listed. They were still searching for people, most likely victims to the tragic accident. But I still had hope that Tiffany was alive somewhere. When I finally got to the list of survivors, there were currently ten. Nine of which were identified, and one female was unidentified.

 

That tiny detail was enough to make me book the earliest flight to America.

 

I just knew that unidentified female survivor was Tiffany Hwang. It had to be. Fate wasn’t that cruel, was it?

 

“The survivors of the plane crash. There’s a woman here, right? The unidentified one?” Taeyeon addressed the receptionist of the hospital.

 

“Yes, but—“

 

“Which room? Please, I need to see her.” I begged, knowing that I was freaking the receptionist out with my disheveled hair, crazed and tired eyes, and zombie-like face.

 

“I’m not allowed to say this, but she’s in room 801.”

 

“Thank you.” I put on the guest wristband and rushed to the eighth floor. Please let it be Tiffany. Please be alive.

 

Taking a deep breath, I paused at the doorknob of the room. I gave myself two options: If she’s in there, I’m going to hug the hell out of her. If it’s not her, I’m going to walk back out quietly without shedding a tear.

 

Twisting the knob, I entered the white room. With hesitant steps, I walked over to the bed where a figure with black hair covering her face lied.

 

“T-Tiffany?” I gently moved her bangs, and when I finally saw her face, silent tears fell down my cheeks. “It’s really you.” Unrestrained, I threw myself not-too-gently on the recovering girl.

 

“Ngggh.” Tiffany cried out in pain and poked her head out of my restricting hug.

 

“Sorry, sorry!” I grinned and hopped off the bed.

 

“Taeyeon?” Tiffany croaked out and blinked confusedly at me. “Is this heaven? Oh, but I feel sore all over. Is this hell then?” Her eyes widened in horror.

 

“Neither.” My reply left her even more puzzled. “It’s earth, babe, because you are very much alive.”

 

“Babe?”

 

For a girl that confessed to me less than twenty-four hours ago using my ex-boyfriend’s body, she sure doesn’t appear to be in love with me at all.

 

“Would you prefer Honey, Cupcake, or Sweetie?”

 

Tiffany shook her head. “I think I’ve been out too long to understand why you’re suddenly acting this way, but I’m not going to question it. So can you please bring my clothes over here?”

 

“This?” I handed the neatly folded but almost nearly destroyed clothing to Tiffany.

 

She fumbled with the torn jeans until she managed to pull out a photo from its pocket. “Here, Taeyeon, this is for you.” She blushed as she gave me the photo, and it warmed my heart when I saw the familiar image. “You have to flip it over.”

 

Quietly reading the words, I was now hundred percent sure that Tiffany was in Baekhyun’s body for these past couple of days. The words on the photo were the exact same ones that she had said when she first confessed to me.

 

“Tiffany.” I sat on the edge of the bed and her reddened cheeks.

 

“Y-Yeah?”

 

“You know what my biggest regret would have been if you had really left me for good?”

 

“What?”

 

“Never being able to tell you that I love you back.” I gently pulled Tiffany’s fragile body in my arms. Even when I hugged Baekhyun these past couple of days, it felt just like this… it felt right. “Oh, by the way, I love you, too.”

 

“Are you sure? But what about Baekhyun?”

 

“In these past few days, I fell for you harder than I’ve ever fallen for Baekhyun. Of course, I had to choose you over him.”

 

“Thanks?” Tiffany grinned smugly, even though she looked confused. It’s okay. I’ll be sure to tell her everything that took place in these six short days.

 

“Oh, and for our wedding…” We had lain on the tiny hospital bed, legs tangling. “I was thinking maybe we could have a Big Bang and EXO collaboration. We’ll call it Bang EXO.”

 

“That sounds a bit wrong, don’t you think?”

 

Giving her a suggestive smirk, Tiffany sighed in displeasure. “ert.”  

 

"I'm your ert, babe."

 


 

Word count: 4363. The most I've ever written in one take. It might not seem like an accomplishment, since I know many authors out there write way more than that, but still! I'm proud of myself lol. Sorry if the writing appears sloppy--my brain gets overworked after 1500-2000 words, and I tried to be all dramatic but then it just fizzled out into lameness >.< Honestly, it could've been an ongoing story, but many of you must have figured out by now that I do not have the patience and commitment to update on one story consistently (since I get bored of my own stories *guilty smile*) hehe, anyways I hope you guys liked it.