Staring problems (ft. lemon cheesecakes)

Staring problems (ft. lemon cheesecakes)

“Sehun-ah, you’ve got that resting face on again.”

I frowned at how abruptly I was taken away from my thoughts by my dear friend Jongdae. He was staring at me with that I’m-judging-you stare of his and I felt the need to complain. “I don’t have a resting face!”

He rolled his eyes and let out a small “sure”, followed by a question I really didn’t want to hear: “So, are you having fun creepily staring at the bartender instead of listening to me?”

I started to think of ways I could deny his accusation and actually convince him I wasn’t looking at that awfully y and cute bartender, but the seconds were passing by quickly and I realized that the whole café must’ve noticed my stares by now anyways. So I just shrugged, hoping he would drop the subject, as if I hadn’t been dragging him to this very café once a week for two months just to stare at that beautiful creature. I just couldn’t help it. His movements were too graceful, his hands too beautiful, his smile too shiny for me to just overlook him. Not to mention my brain went haywire every time he bit or his lips. In all honesty, I think it is creepy to actually think, when looking at a complete stranger his lips, that you’d like to feel that tongue on you. I’m not proud of it.

The sound of Jongdae’s hand hitting the table made me jump in my seat and I cursed under my breath, turning to him. He must have scared a few other people as well, because I could feel numerous pair of eyes on us. However, Jongdae wouldn’t be Jongdae if he actually cared. “You’re doing it again! Seriously, why am I even coming with you?”

I gestured towards his vanilla flavored hot chocolate. “Because I treat you every time.”

He snorted and looked between his mug and me for a couple of seconds, seemingly unsure. He was probably starting to realize that maybe free hot chocolates weren’t worth all that time putting up with me and my stalker behavior. I had to change the subject, and quick, before realization really sank in.

I pointed towards the counter. “Do you want some of that cheesecake? It looks delicious.”

An excited smile immediately made its way on my friend’s face and I thanked the gods that Jongdae was such a materialistic, hungry bastard. As I got up however, he couldn’t help but let out a snarky remark. “Take that chance to take a good look at your cute bartender so you can actually concentrate on something else for at least three minutes afterwards. Oh and why not ask for his number at the same time?”

I rolled my eyes and mumbled: “You’re crazy.”

I had already started to make my way towards the counter when he replied, a bit too loud for a small, quiet café. “And you, my friend, are a wimp.”

 

* * *

 

A week later, I found myself in the same café, with that same stupid friend, for the last time – or so Jongdae claimed. And I could try to act cute as much as I could, it didn’t change the fact that my friend was betraying me because “Sehun-ah, that was lemon cheesecake last time and I hate lemon”. Seriously, who hates lemon cheesecake? Well apparently, Jongdae does. So, based on the flavor of that cheesecake, he decided that he would no longer be bribed by food and drinks and would escape that misery of having to accompany me every Wednesday. He said he would just come one last time today, for “old times’ sake”. I tried to tell him that those times were far from being old, because he came here just last week, but… anyways, Jongdae will forever be Jongdae.

However, it looked like, even if he had decided to stop playing the supporting role, he was still going to make sure he used up as much of my money as he could. “Hey Sehun-ah, what about you get me one of those blueberry muffins?”

I looked at my friend, baffled. “Are you serious? If you decided to abandon me, you could at least pay for your own food!” I don’t even know how I ended up going up to the counter once more, don’t ask me. Maybe it was because of that stupid cat-like smile. Most likely because I knew it must’ve been hard to put up with me for all this time. However, as soon as I gave my cute bartender – yes, I am also ashamed about calling him that – my order, my friend appeared next to me and, ignoring my confused look, said something that could’ve earned himself a punch in the stomach if he hadn’t run that fast afterwards.

“Hey, my friend here has literally been staring at you for like two months. Can you give him your number or something? Because he’s being annoying as . Thank you and have a nice day!” I froze as I saw my now ex­-friend run out of the establishment.

What. The. .

Slowly, I turned my head to look at the bartender, who seemed as surprised as I was. And I was suddenly taken aback by how cute he looked. His cheeks were painted pink and his eyes were wider than normal, his lips slightly parted. Have I already mentioned what I really want those lips to do to me? And yes, don’t worry, I’m still as ashamed. As soon as he noticed me looking at him, he looked away and his right hand went to play with his earlobe, something he always seemed to do when he was nervous. I started to feel the awkwardness slowly sinking in as well and I cleared my throat before handing him the money to pay for the muffin that was officially mine, now that Jongdae had lowly betrayed me.

As he nervously fumbled in the register to find my change, I felt the need to cut the silence short. “Sorry,” I started. “He’s a bit weird and annoying and… yeah.” I rubbed the back of my neck in embarrassment, not even able to finish my sentence properly.

He handed me the change and finally looked at me again, smiling a little. “Yeah, I’ve noticed.” I took the few coins and my muffin and was about to get out when I stopped. What did I have to lose? Jongdae had already humiliated me in front of my crush, so there was nothing for me to fear anymore. I turned around to face him once again and spoke my mind before my common sense could stop me.

“He’s right though. I’ve been staring at you all this time. So can I get your number?” As soon as the words left my mind, I realized how stalkerish they sounded and I made a face. “I mean, I’m not some kind of creepy stalker or anything, just… You’re really attractive, so I might have come here every week to see you- Not that I only come for you- just-” I facepalmed and let out a sigh. “I think I’m just going to shut up.” At that point, I didn’t even have the courage to look up at his face anymore, but I saw a piece of paper sliding on the counter in my direction. My eyes followed the hand that was pushing it, then the arm, the neck, the face, only to find him looking at me with a shy smile.

As soon as I got out of the café, I unfolded the piece of paper. Baekhyun. I smiled like an idiot all the way home.

 

* * *

 

A few months and numerous dates later, I was comfortably sitting on my couch with Baekhyun in my arms, pretending to watch a movie whose title I didn’t even remember. I was too busy staring at my cute bartender – no shame needed anymore – and caressing his fluffy brown hair.

“You know, seeing how many times a day you stare at me, I really get why Jongdae got sick of it.”

I blinked at the amused eyes looking up at me and I couldn’t help a smile from forming on my own face. “And yet you hadn’t noticed anything. You’re oblivious as , you know that?” He let out a small laugh and dropped a kiss on my lips. It was funny how, even after a few months of dating, every kiss still felt like a reward for all the times I’ve been staring at his lips, wondering what they would taste like. I would’ve liked the situation to move towards a few other fantasies of mine, but my phone rang and I groaned, only eliciting another breathy laugh from Baekhyun, who went back to watching the movie. I looked at the name on the screen and scoffed.

“What is it, Jongdae?”

I could almost hear the vexed expression my friend made. “Is that how you greet your beloved friend?”

“We’ve talked about it numerous times. You’re not my friend anymore, you’re a traitor, unworthy of any trust and devoid of all morals.”

“Yeah yeah. Sorry for disturbing your y time with your y bartender.”

“What are y-”

My protest was cut short. “Come on, Sehun-ah. Every time you’re that aggressive, it’s because I disturbed you in your I’m-going-to-get-some mood.”

Baekhyun giggled at something happening in the movie and I looked down at the cute man in my arms. He put his hand on his mouth and god, those hands were sinful. This was the kind of smile I loved, the rectangle one that had his eyes smiling as well. My eyes dropped down to his pink lips and I swore I wanted them on me.

“Sehun-ah! Stop staring!” It was almost a scream and I suddenly jolted back to reality. “Even on the phone I can say you’re staring, stop it seriously!”

I passed a hand through my hair to get a grip. “Sorry. So why were you calling anyway?”

“Nothing much, just wanted to know how you were.” I rolled my eyes. Who even did that? Didn’t normal people usually just sent a text or something? Plus, we had seen each other literally two days ago.

“I’m hanging up.”

“Yep.” A second of silence. “Sehun-ah?”

I sighed. What was it again this time? “What?”

“I actually love lemon cheesecake.”

The line cut off.

That cheeky bastard.

 


 

So... that's it. It's not that long, just a short oneshot I wrote because I wasn't going anywhere with another fic I'm trying to write. ^^

Don't hesitate to tell me what you thought below! :)

Until next time~!  \(o^^o)/