1 Back to Reality

A Reason to Stay

*Warning! Explicit/Swear words to be found here and there.*

- August -

 

“Yah Kim EunYoung! Where’d you hide it... Where’d you hide that money?!”

Instantly, my eyes shot open. Heart racing slightly as I heard the familiar voice that I despised so badly. ‘Is dad really here again...?’ I shut my eyes close in hopes that it was all just a dream, but I was once again awoken by the reality of my mother shouting back.

 

“Its not yours you scumbag!”

 

And so it continues. I sighed deeply before slowly opening my eyes, staring at the ceiling for a moment. “It’s time to get to school Chaeyoung –ah..” I said to myself with a bitter smile. School’s just started and we’re getting back our results of last semester. Nervous? Of course. Who isn’t?

 

I got off the floor – yes I sleep on the floor with a thin mattress – and made my way to the bathroom. Thankfully it was within the room or I would have to go in between the cat and dog barking at each other. I didn’t know when it became my responsibility but its becoming a norm that I took care of Chaerin, my 6 year old baby sister who has the mind of an adult almost. As soon as I was done preparing myself for school, it was her turn. I made sure to pack her items and get her school clothes ready. Before the evil man wrecks the whole house again.

 

“Unnie, I can do it myself..” She would constantly try to be the bigger person in the whole situation and it bothers me so much about the pains she had to go through. As I was fixing her school attire, I sighed softly, gently caressing her shoulders and mumbling. “You’re such a big girl, Chaerin-ah..” I then forced a smile before pressing a soft kiss on her forehead, thinking, when exactly is this whole havoc going to end..

 

Peeking the door open with Chaerin behind me, I looked at the condition of the two. They were now in mom’s room. ‘Guess he really wants the money or he ain’t going.’ I thought to myself before quickly pushing Chaerin out and whispering to her as I ran along behind her. “Ppalli, ppalli, before the monster comes out!” And with a soft giggle, she quickly ran out the door. But then-

 

“Hey you.. Where do you think you’re going huh? You can’t run away from me..” My heart dropped, my mind went blank for a second. At the sight of my sister’s worried face, I mouthed ‘Hide~’ And as usual, I fake a grin so she wouldn’t worry and treated the whole situation like it’s a game. I felt a little safe knowing she will wait at our little secret spot up one level of the apartment, the rooftop. However, my assurance and worries came back in a split second. His breath lingered against my skin as he came closer before pushing me against the wall. I grunted softly and looked away. His face was just disgusting to me..

 

“You think I don’t know that you’re working at that stupid coffee shop? Huh? Yah.. Such an ungrateful kid aren’t you?” He said with a chuckle, those words continue to ring in my ear before I was then hit with a pang when he held me by the neck, pushing my head back against the wall.

 

“Where’s the money?! I raised you with all the penny I got and you’re being a greedy pig and keeping the money you made to yourself..? Huh?!“

 

“Raised me?! How dare you say you raised me.. Mom raised me, she raised us! Chaerin and I! Where the hell were you when we all needed you. Here! … Take it..  Just ing take it you ing prick and don’t ever ing come back!”

 

I wish.. I wish I could say those words.. But being a weak soul, that’s just impossible.. With my eyes closed, I took most of the money out from my bag and opened my eyes and avoiding his eye contact, before lifting the money up slightly for him to take. He looked down at the money with smug grin and took it. ‘Please just go..’ Before he left, he whispered as though to frighten me.

 

“I’m coming back.. Keep doing your job. Greedy pig.”

 

He then slapped the money against my face, causing me to close my eyes tightly, my heart beating faster, afraid he would go further. Luckily, it ended there. He left. ‘Finally..’ I clenched my hands into balls of fists, trying to calm myself down. No tears were present simply because I’m drained out of them. I’ve got none left..

 

I then quickly got a hold of myself, fixing my hair and clothes before calling Chaerin by the staircase. “Chaerin-ah~ I’m free! Lets go to school!” She then came down the stairs and from that point onwards, it was all smiles. No matter how hurt I may be, how pained my heart felt, and how much danger my life is in, with Chaerin, its all smiles. I held her hand and walked down the stairs of our apartment as though nothing happened.

 

“Chaerin-ah. What do you want for lunch? Just let me know and I’ll get it for you.”

 

She hummed in thought and as per usual, she asked for her favorite.

 

“Mm… Fried Chicken in a bento box !” Her chirping voice made my heart go at ease, almost like an escape from reality. ‘I wish everyday could be like this…’

 

As soon as we reached her school, I crouched down to meet her level and smiled widely, holding her arms gently. “Remember what I said? Study hard ! And then you won’t become a monster.” With a cheeky grin, we then exchanged our high fives before I got up and waved her goodbye, making sure she gets in safely.

 

I looked at my watch and gasped, not realizing the time. ‘ I’m gonna be late !’ I quickly rushed down the street and mentally hit myself. ‘Ahhhh pabo pabo pabo !’ Thank goodness our schools aren’t that far from each other. I rushed uphill to where my school is with all my might, running pass through the students that were leisurely walking. I can’t ruin my attendance record!

 

As soon as I made my steps in school, I panted heavily, sighing in content as I then heard the bell ring and the school gates starting to close behind me. ‘Phew..’

 

I looked up at the building and bit my lower lip nervously. Final year’s gonna end soon.. I have to do well.. ‘Hwaiting Chaeyoung-ah !’