Secrets & Surprises

My Mystic Messenger

"Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Sara rolled off of her bed and landed on the floor with a loud thump! Rubbing her sore bottom, she squinted upwards to find her blaring alarm clock. Finding the evil white machine that was the cause of her misery, she smacked it with her fist to get it to shut up. Sighing, she crawled out of her room and splayed out on her tummy in the middle of the hallway. Being lazy was one of her specialties, but the fact that standing up and walking to the bathroom felt like a hassle was something entirely new to her.

Bzzz! Bzzz! Bzzz! Bzzz!

The familiar noise of her phone receiving new messages caused Sara's ears to perk up. She immediately stood up and ran over to her precious cellular device to see who in the world could possibly be ruining her peaceful morning by spamming her with messages. Rubbing her eyes to rid the sleep layers from her eyeballs, she unlocked her phone to see who in the world could possibly messaging her this early in the morning. To her surprise, it was a new message from Unknown. 

Meh. I don't wanna talk to him. Besides, V and 707 said something about him being a spy. AND IT'S FREAKING EARLY IN THE MORNING. What the heck does he want? 

Throwing the phone at her bed, Sara pulled herself up and went to the bathroom to get ready for the day. Having moved to Seoul a couple weeks earlier, Sara was still having a hard time adjusting to her new lifestyle. All her life she had lived in Hongdae, surrounded by friends and family, shopping every day of the week, not having to worry about work or school, and most importantly, she had had her boyfriend, Chan.

At the thought of Chan, Sara started brushing her teeth more forcefully. Wherever she went in Hongdae, memories of him trailed after her. Haunted her. Their first kiss inside the photo booth at the movie theatre. Their first date at the arcade during 7th grade. Chan's confession to her on Valentine's Day in front of the whole school. Their double date with Jihye and Haneul. Tears began to well up in Sara's eyes as she angrily brushed her teeth.

The last time Chan held her hand as they crossed the street. The last words he whispered to her as he breathed his last breath. The pain of being told that Chan was no longer part of this world. Attending Chan's funeral and not being able to cry. The warmth of his hugs. The fluttering feeling she got from his kisses.

Spitting out the toothpaste in , she quickly rinsed and washed her face. 

No. I'm in a new place. I'm by myself. I can get over Chan. Let's do this Sara. Put on a happy face and live the life that he wanted you to have so badly. Do this for him.

Sara looked at her sad self in the mirror and took a deep breath. Chan's death had taken such a hard and painful toll on her, which was why she made the difficult decision to leave her hometown and move to Seoul. Everyone saw her as a cheerful and happy-go-lucky child, but nobody knew how much pain she had experienced. The loss of a lover who had meant the world to her for the past five years. Sighing, Sara left the bathroom and went to her room to get changed.

Bzzz! Bzzz! Bzzz! Bzzz!

Glaring at her phone, Sara ignored the buzzing and went to her closet to choose an outfit for the day. Today would be the first day that Sara spent outside of her apartment. For the past few weeks, she had tried to rid herself from every memory of Chan but with no avail. After being depressed and moping around, she decided that she should try and go live her life, the way Chan would have wanted her to. For the first time in her life, she'd be going around exploring the city without any friends. She'd be looking for a job for the first time ever.

Taking a deep breath, Sara changed into a cute oversized pastel blue sweater with a Rilakkuma face on the front and a pair of white leggings. On her way out the door, she grabbed her white Adidas Superstars and slid them on to her feet. She grabbed her keys and her white MCM bunny-eared bag and scanned her apartment for anything that she might need to take with her. Seeing nothing of importance, she locked the door behind her and was on her way in to the city to explore.


"Maerin!!!!" a voice hissed in the library.

Putting a finger to her lips, Maerin tip-toed over to the friend who had called her over.

"I just got a text from Ssaem*. He wants me to show this new girl around school after classes today." the girl whispered as Maerin pulled out the chair next to her.

"Okay....but what does that have to do with me?"

The girl sighed, adjusting the glasses on her nose. "I can't make it because I have a doctor's appointment. Can you go in place of me?"

Maerin frowned. This was her final year at SKY College and she had to study extremely hard in order to pass the graduation exams. She had been working hard for the past few years in order to graduate without having to spend any extra years in college. Extra years in college meant more money had to be paid for each semester. Something that Maerin didn't want to burden herself or her parents with.

"Please Maerin? Pretty pretty please with a cherry on top?" the girl begged clasping her hands together.

"Fine. But you'll owe me." Maerin sighed giving in. 

"Thanks! You're the best friend a girl could ever ask for!" the girl squeaked giving Maerin a quick hug. "Gotta go! My doctor's appointment is in a few. Byeee!"

Maerin went back to her desk and sat there staring at her books. There were only five minutes left in the period, so she just put them all away in her bag. Taking her phone out of her bag, she checked the notifications to make sure that nothing went off during any of her class periods. Studying to become a veterinarian required her to focus all of her attention on the work given to her, unlike a certain deskmate of hers--Kim Yoosung. 

Just the thought of the blonde haired boy made Maerin shake her head. The kid was already 20 years old, but he never really seemed to pay attention in class. He wore the same blue hoodie every day and had a strange X-shaped barette clipped to the side of his face, keeping his overgrown bangs out of his eyes. 

Brrringgggg!!!!!

Maerin sighed and gathered up her belongings to go greet the new student. All new students were usually assigned a senior or other upperclassmen to show them around and Maerin's friend, Hyoseung, was always finding ways to avoid this duty. Trudging to the office, she dumped her belongings in a neat little pile next to the rest of the seniors' belongings.

"Excuse me? I'm here to show a new girl around school today?" Maerin said cautiously in a loud voice to the secretary who had a hard time hearing.

"Huh? Oh! The new girl? Yeah, she's waiting for you out in the hallway." the almost-deaf secretary shouted.

"Thank you!"

Maerin closed the office doors behind her and looked for the new girl that was supposedly in the hallway waiting for her. Seeing a girl with long brown hair leaning against the wall, Maerin approached, not really knowing what to say to the new student.

"Umm...hi? I'm Maerin and I'm a veterinarian major here at SKY College." she said giving the other girl an encouraging smile as she stuck her hand out for a hand shake.

"Hi....I'm Hyesun. I'm a chemistry major transfer student from Yonsei University." the brown-haired girl said looking at the older girl in curiosity.

"Hyesun....? Why does that name sound so familiar?" Maerin muttered under her breath as she made eye contact with the younger.

Suddenly, it clicked in her brain. The profile picture! The RFA Chat! That's why the name had seemed to be so familiar! Pulling Hyesun by the wrist, Maerin dashed out of the school building and brought Hyesun to the school's courtyard.

"Do you by any chance know anyone by the names Yoosung, Jaehee, or V?" Maerin asked unsurely.

"Yoonsung is the butler in Cinderella and the Four Knights. V is a vocalist in the k-pop group, BTS." Hyesun stated factually.

Seeing the look of disappointment wash over Maerin's face like a wave, Hyesun cracked up.

"Of course I know those names! You must be THE Maerin then, correct?" Hyesun asked smiling sweetly at the older.

"Yes. I'm Ha Maerin. Nice to meet you in person...though we only met online yesterday...."

The two girls shook hands and pretended to be engrossed in an extremely interesting conversation as the principal walked out of his office and towards the two girls. As soon as he passed, Maerin let out a deep breath. 

"To think that we'd actually meet in person after meeting online!" Hyesun said in disbelief.

"I know, right?" Maerin said leading Hyesun down the hallway towards the science wing.

"There's this kid named Yoosung in my veterinary class, but I don't think...wait...actually he could be...." Maerin's eyes widened in realization as the pieces began to click inside of her brain.

"Yoosung comes to SKY too?" Hyesun asked in surprise.

"Thinking about it, he actually might be my deskmate!" Maerin said shaking her head. "He literally sleeps throughout the whole class and does absolutely nothing."

The two girls continued to chat as they went through the different science hallways of SKY College. Suddenly, a loud bang interrupted their conversation, followed by a pink haired girl who ran out of the classroom in front of them, billows of smoke pouring out of the room after her.

"YEOBIE!!!!"

The girl just coughed in response and staggered over to hide behind Hyesun and Maerin.

"YOU KNOCKED OVER MY EXPERIMENT! I SWEAR I'M GOING TO HUNT YOU DOWN AND KILL YOU FOR THIS!!!" a tall boy wearing a lab coat and goggles shouted waving his fist in the air as he slammed the door of the room.

Hyesun and Maerin looked at eachother, immediately knowing that they were thinking the same thing. Why did it seem like they were bumping into RFA members everywhere? The two girls turned around to face the pink haired girl who had currently collapsed on the floor.

"Are you....Yeobie?" Hyesun asked unsurely.

"Yeah...do I know you?" she panted looking up at them. Her eyes widened as she made eye-contact with first Hyesun, then Maerin.

"No way..." she breathed whipping out her phone to compare their faces to their profile pictures.

Seeing that they were a perfect match, the three girls stood their staring at eachother in disbelief. How could it be that they all attended the same school and had only met eachother the day before through some random online chat? Why would Unknown set them up to do this? Did they have something in common other than the fact that they attended SKY College? Why were they chosen to become the newest members of the RFA? And most importantly, why would their paths meet on such a day as this? Was this destiny....or was this fate?