Part 1

The Last Sentinel

Byulyi rushed over as soon as she could. She would have ran all the way if she had no other choice and in fact, it seemed like she did as she arrived at Yongsun’s door like she had sprinted throughout a marathon. Her hair was slightly disheveled and her breathing was labored. On top of that, her outfit looked completely mismatched; red muscle tee, grey striped bermudas and blue sandals. Either she had gotten dressed in the dark or she was in a hurry. But Byul wasn’t even the worse of the two.

 

Yongsun just about collapsed into Byul’s arms the moment she saw the latter.

 

Byul instinctively caught the older girl in a scenario that was all too familiar to her and yet, it made her feel oddly satisfied; to be needed by Yongsun even if she was always just the fall back, the second option. It was better than not being needed at all, or at least that was what she always told herself. It was the pathetic mantra of someone with an unrequited love.

 

This… isn’t good.

 

Yongsun was in even worse condition than Byulyi had initially thought. In one smooth motion, Byul picked Yongsun up and carried the older girl back into her apartment.

 

She wasn’t particularly proud of herself for being at Yongsun’s beck and call all the time but there she was, at the latter’s door at three in the morning because she received a text saying, “I need you…” and she had to be at work in four hours, that is if she does not end up calling in sick to spend the day with Yongsun. Those three words. They were all Byul needed to lose all her senses, to turn her into an obedient little puppy. No, she wasn’t proud at all. She was simply… in love with someone whom she knew would never love her back but hoped with all her heart that perhaps her dedication would one day win over the heart of the one she yearned for so badly.

 

Surprisingly, Byul has never taken advantage of Yongsun’s vulnerability over the six years they’ve known each other. That’s not to say she was never tempted but that was not what she really wanted nor did she want to jeopardize her friendship with Yongsun which she cherished more than anything else. It was the reason why she had never mentioned, not even hinted at the fact that she felt for Yongsun anything aside from the platonic love of a friend. Of course, there had certainly been many chances and she could have sworn there were times Yongsun was the one who was putting the moves on her instead, but that was probably just wishful thinking on Byul’s part.

 

So Byul endured.

 

It was rather tragic, really. Before they met, Byul was completely carefree and very much enjoyed living in the moment; nothing tied her down and she certainly had no feelings of attachment to any one person. Things were much simpler and perhaps, she was happier. She was happy now too but the happiness was complicated, always laced with an underlining of bitterness and heartache. One might think it was a difficult way to live and it was but in her many attempts to unshackle herself from Yongsun’s hold, Byul could not find the will nor resolve to absolve herself.

 

Yongsun needs me... How can I not be there when she needs me?

 

It was something that crossed her mind often and Byul had found herself pondering that very thought again as Yongsun laid there with her head on Byul’s lap, gripping Byul’s hand like she was worried Byul would abandon her as she drifted off. It was moments like these that gave Byul mixed feelings which caused a lot of internal conflict. It was certainly more than a little masochistic of her but her mind was too clouded to see clearly.

 

Byul placed her hand over Yongsun’s forehead, it wasn’t good. Not good at all. She shifted in an attempt to slide out from under Yongsun but Yongsun immediately tightened her grip again and let out a soft whine.

 

“You’re burning up. I’m just going to get a cold towel, I’ll be right back, I promise,” Byul brushed Yongsun’s hair gently to reassure her. “I’m taking you to the doctor’s first thing in the morning,” she whispered with a sigh. Seeing Yongsun grimace in discomfort tugged at Byul’s heart even more than usual.

 

Why is she such an idiot, can she not take care of herself better?

 

Byulyi wasn’t exactly sure why she was angry, but her fists were clenched tight as she waited for the water to boil.

 

You’d better be alright, Kim Yongsun!

 

Byul took a deep breath. She hated being so emotionally effected by Yongsun. She was usually level and cool headed but when it came to Yongsun, it was a struggle. She quickly collected herself, a pillow and blanket, a towel which she soaked in cold water, and made two cups of warm herbal tea. But it seemed that by the time she got back to Yongsun, her friend was fast asleep.


Byulyi felt for Yongsun’s temperature again; still high but it doesn’t seem to be getting worse at least. She tucked Yongsun in as gently as she could and stayed by Yongsun’s side to nurse her fever.