7 - Seven

In the Eyes of Everyone Else

"Okay, since almost everyone is here, we will begin rehearsal right away," the Chairman says with a serious expression, slamming his palm on the front desk a few times.

"Does anyone know what happened to Sungwoon? Is he appearing or not?" he asks, revealing the reason for his moodiness.

The room finally quiets down when everyone realizes that he seriously wants an answer. Typical student syndrome, only being quiet in fear of being asked to answer.

"Since he hasn't appeared for our past rehearsals..." the Chairman frowns as he thinks, then looks straight at me, "Jae Eun, why not you try to take on his role for good?"

A good thirty pairs of eyes stare at me.

"Me?" I squeak, heart rattling furiously.

"Minhwan, if I may just say something," a clear female voice speaks, and everyone turns to look at her instead. I heave a sigh of relief.

It's Kim Seolhyun, the lead female teacher for this play, and one of the actresses who joined our club after Bogum started gaining attention for his lead roles. 

"Sungjae did a great job as the MC's nephew in our previous play... Besides, no offence Jae Eun, but Jae Eun hasn't had any experience in acting. Won't it be safer if we let Sungjae take the role instead?"

Sungjae grins widely, and a ripple of murmurs passes through the clubroom. For some reason, (maybe it was precisely because she said "no offence",) I feel attacked. 

The Chairman looks at me to see if I am agreeable, to which I hurriedly wave my hands and say, "Of course--"

"Minhwan ah, actually..." another voice interrupts and I struggle to maintain my smile. 

"Jae Eun has already been standing in for Sungwoon. What more, she's the writer-- she already understands the emotions of the student. Wouldn't it be more efficient for her to take the role than train someone else?" Park Bo Gum directs the question to the Chairman firmly, having stood up with a polite raised hand.

What on Earth is he doing?

The Chairman clearly did not expect this to happen, and now stares at him with a slack jaw. I get it. Only Park Bo Gum would want me to take this role. Which is also why I desperately hope for Park Bo Gum to look in my direction so that I can signal for him to stop.

The murmurs in the club room intensify, as people start looking between Park Bo Gum who is smiling once again dazzingly, to the Chairman who has frozen on the spot. I glare at Park Bo Gum, but it seems that telepathy doesn't seem to work this way.

"I get what you're saying Bo Gum, but understanding the emotions and being able to convey that to the audience are two different things. No offence, Jae Eun," all eyes turn to Seolhyun who has also stood up.

"That's very true," Bo Gum says with an understanding nod, "I think last week's practice has shown everyone how good Jae Eun is at acting. Don't you think so?" He chuckles, looking at the others around him. They reluctantly nod profusedly.

Meanwhile, at the back of the classroom, I am shaking my head frantically.

"Sure, she hasn't memorized the script. And sure, she could use some polishing. I can help her with that if she doesn't mind." As if he suddenly remembers that I, the subject of this discussion, is present, he looks to me for approval.

Again, the intensity of thirty over pairs of eyes. I clam up. The Chairman looks at me as well, waiting.

"Urm, sure I guess. That would be an honour." I laugh bashfully, but my heart feels like it is going to drum its way out of my chest any moment.

"Alright alright. That settles it then. Thank you guys for your enthusiasm. Positions please, we'll start on Act 1 now..." the Chairman says, getting to work, and the club breaks away from their cluttered mess to make space for the "stage" in the middle.

Across the room Bo Gum does a thumbs-up, grinning. I want to glare daggers at him, but instead I muster an appreciative smile in case others are watching.

While the others rehearse, I repeat my lines in my head again and again.

I'm good at writing things down, but memorizing them word for word and expressing them properly is another thing altogether.

Plus, if I miss out on any word who knows what Seolhyun or Sungjae may say?

"Alright, those involved in Act 2 get ready!" the Chairman shouts.

The actors and actresses scurry to the sides of the stage, laughing and talking. A few send me a nod or smile as we cluster together, and I smile back faintly.

My character, Kim Seunggi, has three scenes actually. One with lines, and for those without, I am supposed to sneer and laugh alongside with the other hooligans.

In other words, I need to build camaradarie with the other actors. I gulp.

The rehearsal for Act 2 starts, and we enter the stage.

I pretend to be eating a bag of chips in class, but sneaking pieces of air into my mouth and muching them makes me feel awkward at best, not a hooligan.

Park Bo Gum writes equations on the board. I know I'm supposed to talk to the other hooligans but for some reason, my mind goes blank. 

Something flies towards me and I belatedly reach out my hands to catch it. It lands with a loud thud on the floor. The rest of the cast turns to look, with the hooligan who threw me the "box of cigarettes" shaking his head disappointedly.

"I'm sor--"

"Just continue! This is the first run of our rehearsal today. And Jae Eun, do something else besides eating in class." the Chairman bellows and everyone returns to their character.

My face feels like it's on fire as I glance at the other hooligans but they are busy sniggering among themselves, in a conversation, which albeit faux, I have no part of.

 

 *~*~*~*

Seventeen's upbeat music surrounds me, creating a sunny bubble in the middle of the bus stop.

I don't know what's wrong with me. I want to be that little smiling girl in our drama club that everyone knows me as.

But for some reason, the fear is back. Is it because they were actors? But I've been doing so well all these years. Smiling and joking with some of them.

My music gets interrupted by a *ping*-- it's a message from an unknown number.

Unknown number: Hey Seunggi! We're at Ddeokbokki House, the one we always frequent.

That's nice of whoever it is. Did the Chairman change his number? How do I politely tell this person that I'm not going for supper today...? I start composing a message.

Me: Really very sorry~ >_< May I know who this is? And thanks for informing me! I'm not joining for supper today though! ^_^;;;

Just when I'm about to rebuild my sunny bubble, my phone pings again.

Unknown number: YAH, you didn't save my number? It's BO GUM, you horrible person. Our friendship here is over.

Unknown number: Why aren't you joining us?

 

Me: Haha sorry sorry!! I'll save it now~ ^_^ Also, thanks for recommending me for the role! You should have told me you were going to do that though...

 

Unknown number: Why? So that you can prepare a thank you gift in advance?

Me: No... Because I didn't actually want it...

Unknown number: WHAT?! Then why didn't you say anything just now???

 

I sigh. Bo Gum's right. I should have said something. But how would the other actors think of me if I had flat out rejected it? If I had rejected Bo Gum's recommendation? I shudder.

Unknown number: I'm sorry Jae Eun ah! You should have told me just now! Do you want me to tell Minhwannie about it?

Me: Nope, it's okay. I'll just have to work hard since you got me this role. Thanks! :)

Unknown number: Then you should work hard by coming to supper! Why are you so slow! Ppalli!

Unknown number: I can help you order first! Judging by how much you ate the other time, I'll help you order 5 portions of ddebokbokki okay? Kekekekekeke~

Unknown number: Hello? Jae Eun ah? You're not kidnapped by aliens right?

Unknown number: Helllooooooooo?

Me: I'm not going today. I realized I have a lot of homework to rush, sorry. ^_^;;;

Unknown number: Homework?! What homework do you have? I'll help you with it. I'm pretty smart you know? Hahaha!

Me: Thanks for your offer, but no thanks! ^_^

Unknown number: Ok I'm not "pretty smart", but I'm ratherrrrr smart. Come on!

Me: Okay, fine. Actually, I don't want to go because it'll be awkward. ^_^;;;

Unknown number: Awkward??? Why???

How do you answer that?

Once I had sent the truth I instantly regretted it. Of course Park Bo Gum doesn't know what awkwardness is. Now to find a way to backtrack...

Unknown number: Hello?? You type really slowly you know!

Unknown number: I was just kidding, please don't be mad. :(

Unknown number: Jae Eun ah I'm sorry... :( You actually type quite fast. 

Unknown number: I don't understand why you'll feel awkward. I'm there, what's there to be awkward about? (Unless you're awkward around me hohoho~)

Unknown number: But that's impossible because I'm such a friendly person! Haha!

Unknown number: You mean, awkward among the actors? Why? They're really funny people!

Unknown number: I can't believe you're awkward with them! Aren't you in the club longer than I am?

Unknown number: Do all writers only make friends with writers? Wow, you're such a... erm... Actorist. HAHAHA.

 

Me: Okay okay, I'll go for supper. You can stop spamming me now.

Unknown number: Spam?! SPAM?! You call all these messages of concern spam?!

Unknown number: Wowwwww I can't believe you Jae Eun ah. I'm disappointed.

Me: Sorry! I was just kidding hehe! Of course I knew you were concerned. Thanks. :)

Unknown number: Anyway, ppalli!! I ordered 5 servings of ddeokbokki already. You better come if not I'll hunt you down.

Me: Okay hahaha. Thank you.

*~*~*

 

As my hand slides the diner's door open, a thousand and one thoughts race through my mind.

Bo Gum's right; I have to build comaradarie with them anyway. And I need to stop behaving like the old Jae Eun. This is my perfect chance to challenge myself!

With the door opened, the mortifying scene of so many popular people eating and laughing in such a small setting greets me.

They're too immersed in conversation to realize that I'm there, and so I gravitate to the nearest empty seat.

"Hello! Do you mind if I join you guys?" I enthuse, hurriedly sitting down before they can give me that awkward blank stare of hesitation.

"Hey Jae Eun! I hope you don't mind about what happened just now!" A voice says, and looking up, I hurriedly smile and nod. 

"I tend to speak without much thought. So I often offend people! Please don't be offended!" Seolhyun, sitting across me pleads with a pout.

"Ah, not at all! I understand! Sungjae is a great actor so I understand why you wanted him to take on the role." I gush.

Seolhyun amusedly looks to the person sitting next to me, and I turn to look, having the thousandth heart attack of today.

"Haha Jae Eun, you're funny as always! If I'm so good you should have given up the role." Sungjae laughs obnoxiously, clapping his hands as if it's the funniest joke on Earth.

Sungjae was one of the original actors, before the club gained popularity. That being said, I've always kept my distance from him. And today I'm reminded why. 

I laugh on reflex, together with Seolhyun.

My phone buzzes.

Unknown number: Why are you sitting there? I saved a space for you! Your 5 portions of ddeokbokki is here!

Across the room I spot Park Bo Gum waving at me excitedly. I embarrassedly gesture to my table. 

"I'm okay," I mouth, hoping that this time he'll be able to read my lips.

"Why? What happened?" Seolhyun says, looking back only to see Bo Gum, and waving back to him.

"Oh, he's wondering why I'm sitting here since he saved a seat for me." I say, smiling sheepishly.

"Whoa Jae Eun, you're pretty close to Bo Gum huh?" Sungjae says, propping his head on his hand.

"Aw Bo Gum is really nice. Always taking care of everyone!" Seolhyun agrees.

This is not good.

"Yeah!" I say, "Oh our Park Bo Gum, taking care of everyone as usual!" 

"Wow, 'our Park Bo Gum' huh?" Sungjae continues, a smug smile tugging on his lips.

I laugh uneasily, my quick wit failing me this time. Yes, I admit defeat. That was a stupid choice of words.

"Oh stop giving her a hard time, Sungjae! Of course she isn't in that kind of relationship with him." Seolhyun says, to which I am confused as to what she means. I raise my eyebrows, subconsciously.

"If he were to be with her I would have known," she continues, then leans in to whisper to me with a grin, "I know all the gossip in our school."

"What gossip, like Joongki and Hyekyo?" Sungjae laughs.

"Omo omo!" she squeals, slapping his arm. "Haven't you seen the way he hits on her? They're bound to be together! I'm calling it!"

"Nah, I think Joongki likes Chaewon." Sungjae shrugs.

"Chaewon?!" Seolhyun shouts, and quickly hushes herself. "No way! Just because they acted together last year? But precisely, that's last year! And Chaewon and Joongki just don't fit! I mean, look at her!" 

As much as I'm relieved that their attention is diverted from me, I fidget uncomfortably.

"Didn't you see her instagram? Look! She's always with different guys everyday!" Seolhyun says, whipping out her phone.

I thought that Seolhyun and Chaewon were close... Maybe I was mistaken.

The night continues with me munching on my ddeokbokki and nodding to their conversations, which are mostly about which of our club actors have bad fashion sense, and swapping embarrassing stories about anyone other than themselves.

Something tells me that one day I'll end up as a subject of their stories. Or maybe I already have.

Maybe one day they'll talk about how I'm not fit to be Park Bo Gum's friend.

But Bo Gum said they were nice people, right?

Maybe I'm overthinking.

 

*~*~*

 

[A/N]

I'M SORRY I'M SO BAD AT UPLOADING T-T

Thanks for sticking with this story once again!

Here's Playful Bo Gum appreciation in the form of a gif:

See you in the next chapter! :)