4 - Four

In the Eyes of Everyone Else

"Pens down," the teacher announces, and then proceeds to collect our papers. The classroom is so silent that the smallest fart would be heard, but I know that secretly, everyone is screaming on the inside.

True enough, once we are dismissed, students wallop, some yelling as they jump out of their seats, practically dashing out of the classroom. Others huddle together, discussing answers to the test questions.

I'm one of the in between, squealing with my two hands covering my face, as I try to calmly brisk-walk out of the classroom. Finally! It's done! OH THE SWEET SMELL OF FREEDOM!

Sure, they were ordinary small tests, not heavy exams. But I'm just so glad it's over! Before long I find myself skipping giddily down the hallways, past students who can't be bothered. Think of the dramas I can finally binge-watch at home! And this time, guilt-free!

Suddenly, I jerk to a halt, and quickly retrace my steps. I had just spotted a flash of brown hair which is unmistakably Minhwan's.

What is it with me and avoiding people? Last week it was Bogum, now it's the Chairman.

"Jae-Eun ah!" I hear someone call me faintly (I'm 100% sure it's the Chairman), and I quicken my footsteps. Maybe I heard wrong, maybe no one is calling me. Hear no evil, see no evil.

It's been like this ever since the day of the shooting. 

My legs protest as they involuntarily halt once more, as my whole entire being is dragged backwards.

"Yah, Lee Jae-Eun!" I hear an angry Chairman behind me, and I struggle to be put down. He releases his grip from my backpack, causing me to fall, almost.

He laughs, although I can tell he is trying to control his anger.

"Did you not see my messages? Where is the video?" He asks, as I turn sheepishly to face him.

"Sorry, I've been pretty busy lately because of the tests and everything," I ramble, dusting myself as I pick myself up, "But I'll pass you the video tomorrow!" 

I flash him a bright grin. That's right-- Tomorrow, aka. Club Day. 

He stares at me, without saying anything. I don't think he believes me, but what can he do? 

Finally he sighs, saying, "Alright, I know myself how tough the test week has been. But be sure to hand it in okay! Right before Club Activities." 

"Right before Club Activities, yup!" I nod happily, thanking him as I make my escape.

---

The next day, I arrive earlier as instructed. Pacing in circles before the Club Room's door, I can't help but mumble to myself.

"I'm doing the right thing, right? Yes I am. But what am I going to do with the Chairman?"

My phone *pings!*, relaying a message from our dear Chairman, "Lee Jae-Eun, where are you?"

Sheesh, it's still a good 20 minutes before activities begin officially. And he didn't even specify how early I have to be, so I'm not late at all. What a grumpy old man.

"Chairman!" I greet cheerfully, opening the door in one swift push. Still, I don't want to agitate this grumpy old man.

"Jae-Eun," he says, forcing a smile, "Where is the video?"

I bow in apology, handing him the thumb drive. 

"With that," I chirp, "I'll see you later at the Club Activities!"

I turn to leave.

"Wait, come here so that we can watch it together," He says behind me, before I can even take a step towards the door.

I bow my head, and tentatively walk to where the Chairman is, fear tightening its grasp around me more and more with each step I take toward him.

The video plays, and the Chairman watches with full concentration. I bite my lip, and adjust my glasses, and rake my hands through my hair.

"Where is the clip of Park Bogum crying?" He asks, his eyes still on the screen.

I close my eyes, accepting whatever is going to come. Is this really worth it? Why am I doing this?

"I have something to confess Chairman," I say, looking at the floor, my finger knotting together. I wonder if I actually say that I like him at this moment, what would his reaction be? Maybe I wouldn't have to die under his hands. But the Chairman is such a nice person! Maybe he'll be really forgiving? Then again, when it comes to the Club's welfare/ prestige, it looks like the Chairman isn't that nice a person. Is he really nice, I wonder? 

"I'm waiting," I hear him say.

"I.. I..." I try saying. Okay, let's get this done and over with, Jae-Eun. You can do this. "I like you." 

The moment the words fall out of my mouth, I instantly slap it. I unknowingly said it without thinking! Without waiting for the Chairman to say anything I quickly correct my mistake.

"I mean! No, not 'I like you.' I don't like you... I mean! I'm, I'm sorry Chairman!" I cry, bowing so low that even my short hair can touch the floor.

He doesn't reply, so I just take this opportunity to blurt out everything.

"I lost the footage of Park Bogum crying, and I also lost all the raw clips, and the only thing I have left is this video. I'm really, really sorry!" 

I breathe in and out, eyes darting around the floor. He's not saying anything, he's not saying anything! Maybe, hopefully, he was shocked by my "confession" of liking him. Maybe he finds my rambling cute. Maybe he really isn't angry.

I sneak a look at him in between my hair.

The Chairman is glaring at me, his face so dark as if it had turned a few shades darker.

"How could you!" He says in a voice dripping with hatred, slamming his hand on the table. My heart leaps in fear, as I freeze on the spot.

"That was such a golden clip! And I specifically told you that I wanted it, did I not?" he raises his voice, and I continue to bow my head even lower. 

"Argh!" He screams in frustration, now pacing. "I can't believe you." His voice drops.

And then, nothing.

The silence is deafening. I don't dare to look at him. Seconds trudge by.

I fumble with my clammy hands furiously. I don't know what to do.

"I'm sorry," I whisper. 

I awkwardly fumble for what seems like eternity, before the Chairman finally sighs and mutters under his breath, "It's okay. I'm sorry I raised my voice at you. Just, give me some time, okay? I'll see you later." 

He doesn't seem to be leaving, so I bow even lower and hurriedly leave the classroom.

Slamming the door close (unintentionally), I quickly walk to the end of the corridor, my mind whirling. The trembling fear gives way to boiling anger. Why did I even help him in the first place? I get that he's stressed at the video, but was that really necessary? Does not including Park Bogum crying really play that much of a difference?

I'm so agitated that I don't realize I've spoken everything out loud.

"What? You didn't include the video of me crying, why?" 

"Because! It didn't seem like he wanted it to be recorded anyway!" 

"Really? But you knew I was acting right?"

Who's "I"? Wait a minute.

"Park Bogum!" I gasp, reeling upon the sight of him materializing right beside me.

He raises an eyebrow, waiting for me to respond.

"What, are you serious?" I ask, a sense of dread mixed with fear rising in my stomach, "You were acting?"

He shrugs, giving me a clueless look.

This guy! Did I just-- Did I just go through all that for nothing?

I turn away, feeling frustration boiling, boiling scalding hot, not at him but at myself. Why did I have to go out of my way to be "kind" to people? To him? Why do I have to be such an idiot? And now, one more person hates me.

"Jae-Eun ah," his face fills my vision as he peeks at me through my hair. 

"What?" I can't help but grunt.

"I was just joking. Thank you for what you did." He says, his face still lowered to my level, and his smile shining radiantly.

My emotions have just gone on such a tumultuous rollercoaster ride that when he said that, I didn't know how to respond. I don't know if I should feel relief for doing the right thing, I don't know if I should feel frustration at Park Bogum's joke, I don't even know if I should feel anger toward the Chairman.

I just feel so exhausted. I shake my head, at a loss for words, taking a step back from Park Bogum.

"I'm serious," he says, stubbornly sticking his face in front of me. 

"Thank you, Jae-Eun ah. Really." I feel his large hand ruffling my hair, and I glare at him, only to find him smiling so wide that his smile wrinkles cut across his cheeks, and his eyes crinkle, transforming into slits. Unflattering, but so endearing.

I'm angry that I'm so easily swayed, but I feel like if I continue to glare at such a happy puppy, a huge curse would befall me.

"You're welcome," I say, stiffly. 

"So, what are you going to do about the Chairman?" Bogum asks, as he straightens up.

"You heard the whole commotion?" I ask, shocked.

He bobs his head, and starts to walk back to the Drama Club Room.

"Well," I sigh, the scene from earlier replaying in my mind, "I guess I may have to leave the club. Or maybe the Chairman will hate me from this point onwards. Or maybe he'll spread rumours about me, and the whole club will hate me instead." 

Park Bogum stifles a laugh beside me.

"What? Why are you laughing...?"

"Come on Jae Eun. Why would the Chairman do that?" He asks, in such a gentle tone that my heart is warmed immediately. 

Still, I shake my head, looking away. As a popular kid, he wouldn't understand.

"Do you really think he'll take away one of the only members who's contributing to the club?" 

I continue walking, nodding absently just to make him feel better. Of course, he would say that; he's never experienced what it means to be mistreated just because people didn't like him. 

"Hm... Why do you think the Club has garnered so much attention lately?" He asks, stopping in his tracks.

I stare at him. Is he serious? Is he acting oblivious, or plain dumb? He continues beaming at me, in an annoying way, as if he knows the world's hugest secret and I'm the only one left out on it.

"It's because of our Star Writer," he remarks, pointing at me with a proud grin.

I guffaw, "Me? Isn't it more like people are attracted to you?"

"Well, they may have been at the start." he shrugs with a smug grin, brushing his shoulder. "But they wouldn't have stayed if the script was really bad. You make our characters come alive, Jae Eun." he says, matter-of-factly. 

I don't know how to respond to that. It doesn't sound like a joke, but if I were to take this seriously I may just be priding myself, only to fall.

"But yeah, I mean I do agree with you. I am pretty attractive as well," Bogum says, as he breezes past me, resuming his walk to the classroom.

 I scoff at the absurdity of it all, and follow him in.

---

 

 

PARK. BO. GUM. IS. A. LEGIT. PUPPY.