Chapter 2

Married to the Music

I looked up and saw a familiar face. I looked into his brown eyes. I realized I was still on him and quickly backed away, and bowed.

“I’m sorry.”           

He smiled and I heard laughing from behind him. It was them. SHINee. The person I ran into…it was none other than Key himself.

“Hungry?” He asked.

I squinted. I didn’t want to speak because I wasn’t sure he would understand me.

“The food is good,” He said in English.

His English was so good. He still had an accent but I found it adorable. The other members continued to watch.

“What is this one?” I asked pointing to some random food.

“Chapsal Yakgwa (Sweet Cakes),” someone said.

Onew stepped in front of Key.

“Cherpsel Yakya?” I asked.

They all laughed at my pronunciation and I blushed.

I bowed suddenly.

“Annyeong haseyo, my name is Melanie. I’m going to interview you,” I smiled.

They all bowed at the same time. Key held out his hand. I shook his hand.

“Do you know who we are?”

“Of course, SHINee.”

“Our names,” He said.

“Ah! Key, Taemin, Onew, Minho and Jonghyun,” I said pointing to each one.

They all held out their hands. When I shook Taemin’s hand I could feel his gentleness. I looked at him and he seemed so innocent. I could tell they weren’t completely comfortable with me to act like they normally do.

“Should we get started?” I asked.

We sat down. As I waited for the start cue I began thinking of interview questions.

Sean waved his hand.

I smiled brightly.

“Hello, everyone! We are in Korea and are joined with none other than Shining SHINee!”

“Annyeong haseyo, bitnaneun SHINee imnida!”

“So, I heard you guys are releasing a new song. What did you do to prepare for the release?”

The translator behind me immediately started translating.

Jonghyun: “We did a lot of dance practices and singing.”

Everyone else seemed silent.

“Ahh you guys must work hard! What do you think is the most rewarding thing about becoming a Kpop star?” I asked.

Onew: The fans. We couldn’t possibly do it without their support.

“Taemin, do you think the fans react differently based on where you perform?” I asked.

Taemin smiled and his teeth.

 Taemin: “Well….umm….I would say yes.”

I felt bad for asking a semi hard question. Luckily, Jonghyun had his back.

 Jonghyun: “All our fan scream and cheer a lot, but we usually perform a lot in Korea and the fans are very enthusiastic.”

“What is the nicest thing a fan had sent you?” I asked. “Key?”

Key: “Um..”

He seemed hesistent to reveal his answer.

Key: I got a letter from an international fan a long time ago. It means a lot to me because I could feel the sincerity in her letter. I was happy to receive such encouraging words.”

His answer hit me in the face. I began to feel butterflies in my stomach. I remember I sent a letter to him a long time ago…could he be referring to my letter? There was no way. They have thousands of fans. I shook the thought away and decided I wasn’t going to bring it up.

I finished up the interview a few questions later.

“Cut!” Sean shouted.

I got up and thanked them once again.

“Nice job,” Sean said.

His words went in one ear out the other. I was letting an opportunity run right past me. I needed a connection and I needed to find out more about the letter. I turned around and quickly ran back to them. I went up to Key.

“Key…do you remember the name of the fan that sent you the letter?”

He looked confused as to why I would bring it up suddenly.

“No I don’t,” He replied.

I nodded and was about to turn around.

“You can eat now,” He said laughing.

“Eat?” I asked not knowing the English translation.

“Eat,” He repeated in English.

“Ah! Yes! Cherpsel Yakya?”

Key walked over to the food table. I saw him bring one back on a paper plate.

“Chapsal Yakgwa,” He said, smiling.

I smiled back.

“For me?” I asked.

He nodded. I looked around and saw Sean was busy with the other members of the crew. It felt kind of awkward being there with him alone. The other members were off somewhere.

“Thank you,” I said taking a small bite. “Wooow!”

Key laughed.

“It’s so good! I heard food in Korea is really good!”

“Yes,” He said.

“I like food but I really want to go shopping,” I said trying to keep conversation.

Key’s eyes seemed to light up at my response.

“I can take you shopping,” He blurted out.

“Really?” I asked.

“Yes. I have a car,” He said.

I felt so happy that he would ask me, this gave me a way to explore the city from a Kpop star’s point of view! Taemin came back and looked at Key. He whispered something in his ear and I smiled at him. Key said he had to go, our plans went no further than that. I went to the bathroom and returned a few minutes later.

“Let’s go,” I said to Sean.

“Alright,” He answered. “Tonight we need to go over the footage.”

“Gotcha!” I replied.

We took the elevator down and passed by the woman at the desk. I got a cab this time. I let Sean in first and suddenly heard clicking heels behind me. The woman from the front desk came running at me. After catching her breath she handed me a note. I bowed and got in the cab.

“What is it?” Sean asked.

“Probably something from Big Head.”

I opened the note. It was written partly in Korean, partly in English.

Melina,

THANK YOU FOR THE INTERVIEW. I DID NOT FORGET ABOUT SHOPPING.

011-82-5246654

KEY

My heart dropped in surprise. What was I getting myself into?

“Are you okay?” Sean asked.

“Yeah, fine,” I replied.

When we got back I sat on Sean’s bed. He brought out his camera and showed me the footage. I tried to focus, trying not to smile as Key answered the questions. There was something so entertaining about watching them. It was so satisfying like a quenching thirst.  I felt something on my shoulder, and the sudden sensation made me jump. I realized Sean had put his arm around me. I looked at him with a blank daze.

“Melanie?” He asked.

“Yeah...sorry. You scared me.”

I felt really awkward. I didn’t want to sit back next to him.

“It’s late. Let’s call it a night. You did a good job with the footage,” I said heading for the door.

“Wait...”

I turned around.

“Never mind,” Sean said.

I could tell he wanted to take it back but it was too late. It was too awkward.