Chapter 1

Married to the Music

The whole story will be in English for the sake of clarity. Melanie can’t speak fluent Korean but she can somewhat understand it since she studied some Korean in college.  

I scribbled the note. I was so hopeful that he would read it. I packed it in a manila envelope and tried my best writing the address in Korean. My heart wouldn’t stop beating as I screeched. I got nervous and my shaking hands weren’t helping. Slowly, I opened the door and left the house. I drudged through left over slush and snow from the night before. No one was out. It was completely silent. With the mailbox open I shoved the letter inside, flipped the flag up and running back up the driveway. Now it was the waiting game. Would Key get my letter?

10 years later**

“Melanie! Big Head wants to see you,” Sean said poking his head in my office.

“Got it,” I said continuing to shuffle papers.

I was swamped. There was the murder story that had to be written. I didn’t even get my plane ticket for Italy. What was the point of interviewing the pope if I couldn’t even go to Italy?! I was overwhelmed, but this was my job. My dream job as a matter of fact. I eventually just stacked everything and plopped it on my desk. It was going to have to wait until later.

“Nice desk!”

“Way to keep it neat!”

I chuckled at everyone’s sarcasm. I walked down the hall to his office: Big Head aka. My boss.

I sighed then opened the door. It was odd that he wanted me all of a sudden. Could it be because I didn’t publish the murder piece?

He was on the phone, twirling the cord around in his hand.

“Yeah, alright. Bye.”

I sat down in those infernal cushy chairs. They always seemed to eat me alive. As I settled into the chair he walked out from the back of his desk and towards me.

“You didn’t publish the Johnson piece yet.”

“I know sir. I will get on it right away,” I replied.

“No need. I’m sending you to Korea,” he said smirking.

“Korea?! What about my interview with the pope?!”

I became confused, disoriented and bummed out. I had been waiting for this and now Big Head was taking it away.

“Clorestone is going to be taking care of it. He’s on the plane as we speak.”

“What? Sir! I have waited so long for…”

“Melanie!”

His stern voice shut me right up.

“You’re going to Korea. This is an opportunity for you to give your own opinion, do what you want in a way,” He said.

“I have freedom with this piece?” I asked.

“Somewhat. I will approve it, you won’t have to go through the lower committees. Plus it will be on the first page, so make it good!”

He smiled.

Although he took something away he presented something the same if not better. I felt like a kid and he was toying with my emotions.

“Can I choose a topic?”

“I want you to focus on Kpop. Find out how stars live, how the companies work, get involved, and make connections! This piece has to include firsthand experience, especially with a star. So make friends, sneak in there, fit in!”

“O...okay…”

I was still dumbfounded. Korea? Kpop? Make friends?

“I already set up an interview with a popular Korean group, you leave tomorrow. Good luck.”

I thanked him and walked out. He was always so blunt, not giving me much detail. I walked around the office looking for Sean.

“Sean!”

“What’s up?” He asked.

“You’re coming to Korea with me. I need a camera man!”

“Gotcha!” He answered.

I raised my eyebrows.

“You don’t have previous work?” I asked.

He chuckled.

“Big Head already told me about this yesterday.”

I looked back down the hallway towards his office and rolled my eyes. I was sick of him always leaving me out of my own plans.

“I’m surprised,” Sean said.

“Why?”

“Shouldn’t you be excited to go to Korea?” He asked.

“I am!” I confirmed.

“Coming from the person who was obsessed with kpop, that’s not excited enough!”

I laughed, reminiscing in my constant singing, dancing and internet stalking.

“Please Sean that was like 12 years ago.”

“Time flies but people don’t always change,” He said tapping my shoulder before leaving.

I walked back to my office and taped to the door was an envelope that read:

TICKETS

**

Sean and I managed to catch the plane in time. I filled my whole carryon bag with snacks. It was going to be a long flight.

What’s that?” Sean asked pointing to the thing in my hand.

“My old iPod. I figured I’d listen to some music on the way.”

I plugged in my headphones. Super Junior started ringing in my ears and I was captivated with memories.

I slept in between the flying and stops. When we finally landed in Korea it was 10am.

Sean waved down a cab and we spent 20 minutes sitting there trying to explain the hotel we need to go to. Eventually I just whipped out my phone to the driver. We hit the road. I looked at Sean and waved my phone in his face.

“Okay I get it….” He said with an annoyed tone.

THE JW HOTEL AND SPA

We made it. I was so tired. My feet dragged along with the luggage.

“C’mon look alive!” Sean said.

“Sure… after a nap!”

We got up to our rooms.

Mine: 210 and Sean: 211

I just managed to lay down before there was a knock at the door.

A maid came by but I told her I didn’t need anything. I sat down at the edge of the bed. There was another knock.

“Are you kidding me?”

I opened the door and sure enough there was Sean, out of his travel clothes and in his work clothes.

“Yes?” I asked.

“Interview,” He said tapping his watch.

“Ughhh!!!!” I shouted, slamming the door behind me.

I just put on the first thing that was on the top of my suitcase: a pink dress.

We took another cab to SM Entertainment headquarters. I took pictures with my phone, making sure to document everything I was seeing. I already had an idea what I was stepping into.

SM Entertainment, a big entertainment company founded by Lee Soo-man. Includes groups like EXO, Girls Generation, SHINee, Super Junior and TVXQ.

The building towered over all the stores around it. It was kind of intimidating, standing in its shadow. Sean and I walked inside to the front desk. Sean said he could handle it this time so I sat down in one of the chairs. The woman left her desk then returned 20 minutes later.

“This way,” She said.

We followed behind her to the elevators.

“You have already been given permission. I will now take you straight to the room where the interview will be conducted,” She said with our back to us.

We continued to follow her into this large room, equip with cameras, lights, sound equipment and six chairs. I could see my chair towards the front facing the other five. I wondered what group I would be seeing. I put on my sound equipment.

“Ready?” I asked Sean.

He nodded and I walked over to my seat. An hour passed and I was becoming impatient. I decided to stand up and stretch. I remembered that there was food on a table by the side door. I walked behind the curtain to the food. I wondered if I could eat. For some reason I was overwhelmed with the sudden urge to jump. I was so hungry. I needed something to distract me and wake me up. I looked at the crew and no one was watching. I started jumping and bumped into a wall…or so I thought.