Changes

Impetus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The party was already in full swing when a tall slender young woman arrived at the rented villa. She walked through the narrow hall—the sound of her heels lost in the indie rock music playing in the background. Coming from a business meeting with investors made her outfit look out of place in a casual house party. She had removed her blazer in her car—leaving her in a white blouse and black tube skirt. Even though her body felt heavy from exhaustion, she willed herself to drive 20 minutes from a restaurant in Gangnam to where the villa was. Her senior had personally called her the other night to invite her to his birthday party. It was something she couldn’t just ignore… knowing how supportive he had been these past few years as a senior and as a producer.

The host’s close friends as well as acquaintances mingled around the living room. She politely greeted everyone—smiling at the warm welcome she was receiving. Familiar faces made small talk with her and she tried her best to keep a cheerful attitude. All the while, her big dark eyes looked for Park Chae Young since she knew the other two wouldn’t be able to make it tonight. But her friend was nowhere to be seen.

“Lisa-yah!” Kwon Jiyong called as soon as their gazes met. Her senior walked towards where she stood and greeted her with a brief hug. “I’m glad you could make it. You look wonderful with short hair.”

“Thanks. Happy Birthday, oppa.” She smiled brightly at him despite the dull throbbing in her head.

“Chae Young is here somewhere if you’re looking for her. I saw her earlier with Hayi.” His gummy smile made her feel relaxed. Ever since coming back from the army, she had noticed that Jiyong had looked healthier. He used to be so skinny before entering and now he seemed like a different person. Lisa could understand the situation clearly. Even though she was constantly busy, the years had made her body slightly different.

And it was a good change.

“I got you something.”

She handed a silver envelope to him and he grinned again. “Thank you. What are these?”

“Gift cards to a nice spa. I couldn’t think of a gift since you already have everything.” Lisa teased. “So why not treat yourself well, right?”

“I’ll use them all.” Jiyong laughed and then gestured around the room. “Make yourself comfortable. There are drinks all over here.”

“I definitely need a glass of wine… or two.”

“Long day, huh?” She hummed as Jiyong led her to the nearest table and poured her a glass of red wine before excusing himself to greet another guest.

Lisa’s headache was getting worse and all she wanted to do was to go back home and sleep on her bed. Drinking half the glass, she went around the living room and then to the backyard where other guests were busy chattering and drinking. Chae Young’s striking blonde hair came into view and Lisa quickly made her way towards her.

“There you are.” Chae Young wrapped an arm around her as Lisa kissed her cheek. “I haven’t seen you in like three weeks! And look at your hair! I told you short hair would suit you very well.”

“Missed you too, Chaeng.” Lisa cooed as relief washed over her. It had been a while since she met up with any of the members. They all had their own schedules these days after recently wrapping up their world tour. And it didn’t help that each had been living on their own for over a year already.

Lee Hi had to slightly stand on her tiptoes to hug Lisa.

“Let’s go sit down there.” The older pointed at the empty round table near the railing overlooking the city and the three started to catch up.

It was darker and quieter in the spot they chose and they all talked without any care in the world. Despite the humid air, the evening was peaceful and the city lights from below looked like stars. Maybe it was the atmosphere, the wine, and the comfort of her companions… Lisa suddenly found herself loosening up as she told them about her recent troubles.

“That ing jerk again? When will he ing stop?” Chae Young snapped and Hayi was surprised to witness the usually effervescent woman curse like a sailor.

“Who is this guy?” Hayi asked curiously and Lisa’s lips pulled down as she recalled the events that transpired during the past year.

“My ex-boyfriend.”

“You had a boyfriend?!” Hayi exclaimed and Chae Young told her to quiet down. “Sorry. I didn’t know you were in a relationship.”

“You can’t really call that a boyfriend. They only dated for like three months… at the beginning of our tour.” Chae Young’s frown was deeper than Lisa’s and the latter couldn’t help but feel more affection towards her protective friend.

“He’s a… photographer.” Lisa explained as Hayi’s eyes sparked. “I met him during one of my modelling gigs last year. He asked me out shortly after we met and we dated secretly. I would go to his studio sometimes and he would teach me photography. He was nice and…”

“A lot older.” Chae Young continued and Hayi squeaked comically.

“How much older?”

Lisa ducked her head as she replied, “Eight years.”

“You bad girl!” Hayi playfully hit her arm and Lisa cracked a smile—knowing how her unnie liked to whenever they met up.

Chae Young finished her drink in anger. “Then while we were on tour, Lisa found out he’s also dating another model.”

“I broke up with him immediately. But he’s been bugging me again recently.”

“He’s a real jerk.” Hayi shook her head but then her eyes narrowed and Lisa somewhat knew what she was going to ask next. “Did you give it to him?”

The way Lisa suddenly choked on her wine made Hayi laugh and Chae Young irritated.

“She definitely gave it.” The latter deducted and Hayi laughed even louder.

“Aish… Lisa! You should know to never trust men… especially older ones.”

Chae Young snorted. “Young or old… all men are the same.”

“Yah.” Lisa’s lower lip jutted out in annoyance then. “We didn’t do it! We just--”

“Oh god. You went on to third base!” Chae Young’s eyes widened in disbelief and Lisa almost wanted to strangle her.

“No, no! Only… second.”

Hayi was laughing hard as Lisa downed the rest of her drink. He seemed like a nice and charming guy… and that was why Lisa felt attracted to him. He made her feel special without being too excessive with his affections. He was attentive to her whenever they met up and would sincerely make her lighten up despite her worries. Yet she was deceived. It was her mistake for allowing that jerk to even touch her in the first place. It only happened once when she had too much to drink in his studio and she suddenly found herself making out with him—his hands all over her thighs and torso. Thinking about it, her stomach churned in disgust and she felt queasy.

Just then, Jiyong came over to their table holding a bottle of wine.

“Italian for the ladies.” He uncorked the bottle himself. Lisa was about to decline her glass when Jiyong’s gaze lifted to the bench nearby which was partly-hidden by a column and the darkness.

“Hyung! What the hell are you doing there?”

The three women turned to look over and saw a man lying down on the bench. In the partial darkness, Lisa could see the person sit up. And when his profile was illuminated by the scant light coming from the distance, she swore her heart fell to her stomach and at the same time her soul left her body.

“TOP-oppa!” Hayi exclaimed as the three stood up and bowed politely. “It’s been a long time.”

He smiled at Hayi and familiar eyes met hers. For some reason, she felt like throwing up then and there.

“Sorry… I fell asleep.”

“You didn’t hear us talking at all?” Chae Young asked nervously and he simply shook his head.

“What were you talking about that hyung doesn’t need to know?” Jiyong asked—his eyes lighting in mischief as he placed the bottle on the table.

“Nothing at all!” Hayi chuckled and before her head was about to explode, Lisa excused herself and hurriedly went inside the house.

 

Cold water hit her face and she desperately tried to calm her excessively beating heart. She had locked herself up in the master bathroom—holding back tears that were threatening to fall.

I can’t believe this.

She wanted to scream senseless for being so shocked and embarrassed. Shocked because she hadn’t seen him in three years since Young Bae's wedding… THREE YEARS! No communication, no whatsoever. He had never messaged her as he promised and she had stopped hoping he would. It had been that long since she had been suppressing her feelings—knowing full well that nothing would come out of it. Embarrassed that he heard about her private life… something that he should never know. She really hoped he didn't hear any of it.

It was only a crush… just a crush.

But why did her heart still feel so heavy at the very sight of him? As if it was being stabbed and crushed at the same time. It was that same feeling she had after he left and during all the events that happened afterwards. Why? Why until now? She thought she had moved on from her infatuation towards him.

Was it just an infatuation if she still felt so affected by him?

Her head felt heavier and the throbbing worsened. Looking at her reflection in the mirror, Lisa wanted to gouge her eyes out and just dis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter