The Reunion

Love Will Find You

Mr. Jay chuckles when he sees my dumbfounded face.

"Yah, dongsaeng, have you forgotten your oppa? Huh..looks like you didn't grown at all, you're still as short as I remembered." Mr. Jay says in Korean and smiles fondly.

My mind still can't function properly. Oppa? My oppa?? He's really Joongie oppa??

What??!

"Joongie oppa?"

"The one and only," he says proudly.

"Yah!!"

"Yah! We haven't met for more than a decade, and the first thing you said to me is yah?? Yah?! You must be kidding me.." he says incredulously.

""That's right, yah! Why do you pretend not knowing me huh? Do you have any idea what I went through during the meeting? I can barely concentrate, and believed that I've met your twin. I'm curious as hell, but you decided to ignore me and pretend that you don't even know me. How do you think that makes me feel huh?" I answer heatedly. I forgot that he can be soooo annoying sometimes.

"Hey, we were at the office, doing an official and important meeting. I would look so unprofessional if I decided to have a reunion during such event, don't you think? I just transferred here, okay, and that was the last thing I need to make a good impression."

I can feel heat radiating from my eyes, I feel so angry and frustrated since he seems to find that it's an embarrassing thing to admit that he knows me in front of his co-workers. But at the other hand, I feel happy and relieved to be able to see him again, and that he still remembers me. And I feel a hint of dread, of finding out how much he's changed since then. All of those mixed up emotions overwhelmed me, and all I want to do is just curl up on my hotel bed – preferably alone – and cry my heart out.

"Is it that humiliating for you to admit that you know me? Let's just continue to pretend that we don't know each other then. Good night Mr. Jay!" I say harshly as I started to storm off to the lobby. I can feel my tears start to fall, and I quicken my steps.

Before I can go far, a hand grabs my arm and stopping me. I try to shake it off but it just wouldn't budge. He sighs deeply and pulls me towards him. Without saying anything he just hugs me tight. I struggle to free myself, but he just holds on firmly. The dam finally broke, and I finally broke down in his arms.

"This is exactly what I feared would make me look unprofessional." He says softly as he pats my back.

For a moment we just stand there awkwardly in front of the hotel entrance. I'm sure we've created a scene by doing this, but for some reason I couldn't find it in me to care at the moment.

"Hey, are you done yet? My shirt is already soaked wet from your tears.." Joongie oppa tries to tease me so that I can finally stop crying. He tries to lift my face, but I stubbornly keep my head down.

Actually by this time I have already managed to control my emotion and stopped my tears. It's just the hiccups that still hasn't stopped yet. Problem is, I'm not really sure what to say to him after my breakdown. He'd surely tease me for still being such a crybaby.

"Please stop crying, people are beginning to stare at us.." he says again somewhat panicky.

The weird thing is, hearing that panicked voice of his sort of makes me want to laugh at the hilarity of the situation. And since I wanted to..well..take revenge on him for making me cry, I purposely wail louder, curious at what he would do about it. People cannot see my face anyway, so I won't suffer the second-hand embarrassment hehe.

"Yah..Yaaah.. Why do you cry even louder? Crap, let's get out of here quickly. People are beginning to stare and the last thing I need tonight is for the hotel security to think that I'm bullying, or worse, abusing you and called for the police."

He quickly grabs my shoulder and walks (more like drags actually) me towards a small park near the hotel. When we arrived, he promptly makes me sit on the wooden bench near the swing, and sits next to me.

Even though I've had no more tears on my eyes, he still stares at me worriedly.

"Feeling better now?"

"Mmm.."

For a moment awkward silence engulfs us. I still don't know what to say to him, so I prefer to stay quiet.

"How are you? I never thought in million years we can really meet again. Not that I don't want this, but it still feels surreal. I've been dreaming and hoping for this moment to happen, and yet when it finally comes true I really don't know what to say.." he smiles and shakes his head. I can only smiles back at him, not trusting myself to speak just yet.

"It's really been a long time since we last met huh? And just like what I predicted, you're still a crybaby. That just can't change can it?" he teases me. Perhaps purposefully to lighten the mood. And it worked, perfectly if I may add. I can no longer feel all the melancholy feeling that rendered me speechless just now, and feel annoyed instead. Seems like it's very easy for us to revert back to our old tradition, bickering. That's what we do best, really.

"Yah! Who says I'm a crybaby? Urgh, oppa you really have a talent in picking my nerves!"

"Yah? Yah?! Yah, seems like you've forgotten all the Korean culture Umma taught you back then. We've only met for a few hours and in the last 15 minutes you've said 'yah' to me three times. Where's your manner young lady? I'm older than you, pay some respect will you?" Joongie oppa scolds me, but I can see that the corners of his lips twitched, so I know that he's not at all serious.

"See if I care, merong*" I childishly stick out my tongue to him.

"How old are you, if I didn't know better I'd say you're a high school student judging from the way you behave tonight. Makes me wonder if you didn't take the plane at that time, but mistakenly boarded a time machine instead. You didn't change at all.." he chuckles and ruffles my hair with his hand, one of his most favorite habit. It was one of the things that I hated the most, when people ruffling my hair or pat my head. It makes me feel as if they're mocking me because of my height. 5'1" isn't short at all right? Right??

I immediately push his hand away from my head and pout.

"And you look waaay older than me," I'm sulking. Really, it's like we're going back to 15 years ago, when I first met him. We bicker like this almost every day. At that time I have Umma who will always stop us from bickering and defend me. Right now I don't have her here to defend me. And that reminds me of something.

"How's Umma and Appa? Are they well?"

He smiles when he hears my question, "They're good. They often asked me about you though, why you stopped all the correspondence and contact so sudden.."

"Uhm..I've lost your address when I moved to another boarding house. I've lost several stuffs, and that includes your address. And I was careless enough not to save a copy of it somewhere else.." I admit, suddenly feeling embarrassed, I always misplaced my things, that's just a bad habit I cannot fixed yet.

"But you stopped replying my emails first, and the last time I tried to send email the mail was sent back to me because your email was no longer used. See..it's not entirely my fault.." I smile triumphantly. I'm a bit taken aback by his reaction though, instead of defending himself or at least try to deny it like I predicted, he only smiles bitterly. Did something happened back then?

"Is there something you haven't tell me?" I ask cautiously.

He stares at the night sky and exhale deeply. Then he looks straight at my eyes and slowly says, "Well, looks like I'm the one who have to apology to you. On 2009, Appa fell down in the bathroom and had . At that time the hospitalization cost, and also the therapies that followed and the medications were quite big. He cannot work for two years due to his body condition, so money was quite tight at that moment. I decided to took a leave from the University, and took random part times works, just to help with it. I worked day and night nonstop just to make sure we will still have enough for everything we need. Looks like I got too caught up with life, that I unknowingly forgot to check my emails. I'm really sorry.."

I'm really shocked to hear that. Is that true?? I really can't imagine how Appa cope with that, he's such an active and independent guy who are used in doing everything by himself. How did he got through those agonizing years?

"How's Appa now? Is he better yet?"

"Oh, he's almost completely recovered. He just need to restrain himself from any activity that will overtire him. And sometimes his right hand is still a bit weak, but it doesn't really bother him anymore." He smiles warmly to ensures me.

"Thank goodness.."

"If you really are worried, make some time to visit them. They'll be delighted to see their daughter again."

""I'd love that, but I'm not sure I will have the time to do that. We have a packed schedule starting from tomorrow right?"

"Nah, don't worry, I'm the one who make the schedule, I'll arrange it. I'll tell Umma and Appa that you're here now."

"Really??" I cannot help to hide my happiness to be able to meet them again.

Yes, really. I bet you're excited to eat Umma's cooking again huh?" he grins teasingly.

"How do you know?" I narrowed my eyes suspiciously.

"I can see it in your eyes," he teases.

"But seriously, how did you ended up in the traveling industry? You used to hate going to tourists spots. How those annoying tourists would all gather there to take pictures, hogging all the public places and make the place crowded and uncomfortable for other people. So how did you ended up with this job?" he asks curiously.

"Actually I was only helping Brenda. We were best friends since we're in the university. And when she got the offer for this project, she asked me to be her staff and helped her on this." I answered and check my watch, 11 PM local time or 9 PM Jakarta time, no wonder I haven't feel sleepy yet.

"I see.. So does your boyfriend okay with this? You know, since you'll be traveling a lot.."

"He doesn't.. because I don't have one. Why did you ask anyway?"

"Well, you're in that age, so I just assumed that you already got married or at least have a boyfriend," he shrugs innocently but I can see that naughty glint in his eyes.

"What do you mean that age? Do I look old or something? Since I do remember that you're OLDER than me. I bet you're married with kids already, am I right?" I stick my tongue out.

"Who said I'm married? Where did you get that thought? For your information, I'm the dream bachelor here, all the aunties wants me as their son in law. Well I can't really blame them..I've got looks, brain, attitude, work, what else am I lacking?" he says smugly.

"I see..so how many girlfriends or fiancées you have right now?"

"One, her name is Hanyang Tour," he answers proudly.

I cannot help but laugh when I hear that. Turns out there are still other people out there who choose to commit with their work instead of focusing (or stressing, really) in finding their other half. People like us are getting rarer these days.

Joongie oppa looks at his watch. Then he stands up and turns to me.

"It's getting late, you better come back to the hotel and rest. I'll pick you guys tomorrow at 8.30. We're going to the office first to deal with the paperwork, ok?"

"OK boss.." I mockingly salute him.

Joongie oppa laughs at my antics, and then we walk together towards the hotel. As we arrive in the lobby, he offers me a plastic bag that he carries with him since we met just now.

"What's this?" I ask as I accept it.

"Kimbab," he answers curtly. When he sees my confused expression, he elaborates, "For you to eat before you sleep, you went to the minimart just now to buy food right? They usually don't have fresh food anymore at this time. You bought cup ramen didn't you?" he stares accusingly.

"Hehehe..." Busted!

"How can you still remember that?" I curiously ask.

"Well, anyone wouldn't easily forget the time where they felt really scared when they hear weird sounds from the kitchen in the midnight. Thinking that some thief managed to broke in, and have to force themselves to check it for the safety of their family. Only to found out that it's actually their new sister who was in the kitchen, trying not-so-subtly to find some midnight snack before sleep. And it didn't happen only once either," he says innocently

I can feel my face burning at the mention of that embarrassing episode. It happened on my first night in Korea. I was too shy to ask for more food before I sleep, since I still feel awkward being with my new family. I tried to sleep without eating anything beforehand. That night I couldn't sleep at all, and my stomach started to hurt. In the end I went to the kitchen to find some food, while preparing myself to apology in case someone caught me. Turned out the one who caught me was Joongie oppa, barging suddenly to the kitchen while carrying a baseball bat.

It was quite funny actually, he screamed so loud to startle the thief while swinging his baseball bat (while closing his eyes at first, since he was scared), and I screamed in shock and dropped the pan that I was holding ( I was trying to make ramen, the only food I know how to cook). In the end, we both managed to wake up the whole family. Umma then made me some rice balls that was mixed with seaweed flakes, 'healthier than ramen', she said.

"Aish, oppa, why do you even remember that embarrassing stuff?" I feel annoyed.

"Aigoo this girl.." he says while ruffling my hair.

"Oppaaaa.." I protest and try to push his hand away.

He stops, and looks at me seriously though his lips is still smiling warmly.

"Seriously, it's good to have you back home sis.." he says

"It's good to be back," I smile.

"Ok, it's late, go and get some sleep.."

"OK"

"Wait, where's my goodnight hug?"

I only roll my eyes at that. Really, this oppa hasn't change at all. We used to give Umma and Appa a goodnight hug before we went to bed. Too tired to argue, I hug him briefly. He hugs me back tightly.

"Am I interrupting something?" suddenly I hear Brenda's voice and we hurriedly lseparate ourselves.

"Oh, hey Bre, I thought you went to bed already.." I lamely say.

Joongie oppa looks composed, and staring calmly at Brenda.

"No Miss, you didn't interrupt anything. I was just saying goodbye to my sister..uhm I mean Miss Felicia here. OK I will head home now. Good night Ladies." He nods with a smile on his lips and then turns around to go.

"Lily, what did just happened?" she asks curiously.

I can only grin at her.

 

Author’s Note:

* Merong (메롱) means children's word or sound in Korean used to tease by sticking out one's tongue.

I hope you enjow this chapter..sorry for the long wait. I've been caught up with real life and work, so I can only post this today. I hope you enjoy it ^^