Fate Can Be Cruel

We're All Mad Here

It was the longest five hours of Changkyun's life, sitting on the plane waiting to land in Seoul. It seemed like people were moving slower to get off the plane too and that irritated him to no end. He had almost considered mowing some people over but figured it'd be worse if he did that because who knew if someone would recognize him and record it. Since his return hadn't been announced though he did find it much easier to actually make it out to the street and hail a taxi once he was finally out of the hell that was the airport. Once he had told the driver where he was going they zoomed off towards the hospital. Changkyun was very grateful at that moment for the fact that Shownu had texted him the hospital rather than just telling him. 

Changkyun was convinced the universe was against him though considering he was now stuck in the normal morning traffic and could see that it was going to take them a very long time to actually reach the hospital. He inwardly cursed at the other cars that were blocking his way, wishing that they would have just all decided that today had been the day to stay home. Of course that wouldn't have ever happened and thus he was stuck. Sitting in a taxi. Barely moving.

"Jesongnida, it's really congested here in the mornings. I think it's probably going to take us a while," The ajusshi driving looked at Changkyun briefly in the rearview mirror as he spoke, noticing the look of worry and stress on the young man's face. Changkyun simply nodded. He knew it wasn't the driver's fault that there was traffic but it was making him panic just a bit more. "Why's a young man like you trying to get to the hospital so quickly anyways? Is your halmonnie sick?"

"Aniyo. It's kind of complicated," Changkyun didn't even know why he was bothering to answer. In all honesty it was probably the most he had spoken off stage in a month.

"Well unfortunately we've got time and you look like you're about to jump out and run the rest of the way from worry. Why don't you talk about it? Sometimes it's easier to talk about things that bother you to a stranger rather than someone you know," Changkyun sighed. He had chosen the most talkative taxi driver in all of Korea.

"My girlfriend and I broke up a month ago because we weren't able to see eye to eye on some really important things, at least they seemed important. When we broke up I was devestated. I didn't understand why we couldn't just fix what was wrong but we just couldn't. My friends don't even know we broke up, I don't think they do at least, and they just kept telling me to talk it over with her, that everything would be fine. I had to go overseas for my job and while I was over there one of my friends showed me something. My girlfriend had done the one thing that I never thought she could do. She talked about her past and everything that she had kept hidden from everyone for so long. She did it for me. She did it to make me happy to make sure that I understood that she really did care about me. She revealed the most painful things from her past everything, just to make me understand. She had made plans with one of my friends that was abroad with me to surprise me and she was heading to the airport when she got into an accident. She's at the hospital and I have no idea how bad it is or if she's even still alive. All I know is I have to make it there before something else happens to her. I have to see her," I have to tell her I love her. Changkyun thought to himself when he finished. He didn't know why he was bothering to tell this ajusshi anything about him but it seemed the older man was right. It was much easier to talk about this to a stranger than to tell the guys.

"Love is always hard. Especially when it's still young. Learning how to grow with someone is really difficult. It's more difficult when you don't take the time to see the other's point of view. Mianhe, jinja mianhe, that this had to happen but now you'll at least be able to appreciate each other more. I'd say that from my point of view that now it's your time to step up. If she did all that and put herself through pain just to show how much she loves you, I think she deserves at least that much back from you. I'm sure she'll be okay. Fate can be cruel but I doubt that it would ever be quite that cruel. I don't think I've ever seen someone who cared as much as you care about her not make it in time to tell the other how they feel. Only in dramas. Never happens in real life," Changkyun mulled over the ajusshi's words. He really hoped they were true but knowing what Chess had already been through in her life he knew that Fate really can be that cruel. "Take my word on this one. You'll get to her in time don't worry. Just make sure that you make all this up to her."

"Ne, ajusshi. Kamsamnida," It just so happened that as Changkyun was thanking the ajusshi, they had pulled up to the hospital. He hadn't even realized that they had been driving that whole time and maybe that was all the ajusshi was trying to do, distract him, but it was still nice to talk to him. Changkyun paid him and bowed at him as he exited the car sprinting towards the main reception. When Changkyun made it to the desk with a couple nurses behind it he asked for Chess's room. The nurse started to look it up in the computer and then got a very confused look on her face before speaking to him.

"Beck Scarlett-ssi was released about two hours ago. She's not here anymore," The nurse continued to give Changkyun a very confused look as he thanked her and turned to walk outside. If she wasn't there where in the world was she? Changkyun quickly dug out his phone and looked up Chess's contact profile. He quickly hit the call button hoping to everything in the world that she would answer. Only it wasn't her that answered.

"Yobuseoyo?" Giriboy's voice flowed throw the speaker of his phone and Changkyun could almost feel his heart stop beating. He took a second to mentally slap himself though because whether or not Giriboy had feelings for her, he was Chess's friend first and foremost. It wasn't that weird that he answered her phone when she had just gotten released from the hospital.

"Hyung, where's Chess? I need to see her," Giriboy sighed and Changkyun was really worried for a moment that Giriboy wouldn't tell him where Chess was.

"I see that Shownu decided to tell you. Good. She's at my place right now. She didn't want to go home and have the girl's freaking out over her. I'll text you the address," Changkyun was about to hang up the phone when he heard Giriboy say something else to him. "Changkyun, if you it up this time, I won't try to help again. I'll do whatever I can to make her mine."

The line went dead and Changkyun didn't know whether to be happy or angry at what Giriboy had said. He was happy that Giriboy was helping but he was definitely angry about the threat. He'd never let Giriboy have that chance. Changkyun loved Chess way too much to ever lose her again. He set himself into his determination as his phone dinged letting him know he had a text. Once he got the address he hailed yet another cab so that he could go to Giriboy's place. Luckily the drive was much shorter this time and as he got done paying the driver he closed the door and ran up the stairs, not being patient enough for the elevator at that moment, to Giriboy's apartment. The door opened almost as soon as he knocked and Giriboy stared at his face for a second as if trying to guage something in the younger boy's expression.

"She's asleep in the guest room right now. You can go see her but she's kind of exhausted. Don't be too rough with her, okay?" Changkyun nodded and headed in the direction that Giriboy pointed. He hesitated a bit at the door, no longer sure that he was really prepared to see how she looked. What if she was really beat up? What if she had broken her bones? Changkyun shook his head clearing his mind. None of that mattered really, he was going to be upset when he saw her no matter what. He slowly turned the doorknob trying to make as little noise as possible so that he didn't wake her up, and walked into the room shutting the door silently behind him.

Chess was laying on her side facing the wall away from him when he came in. He took notice that her hair had changed colors again and was now a vibrant purple with pink streaks in it. He almost laughed when he realized that it made her look like the Disney version of the Cheshire Cat. Changkyun slowly made his way over to the side of the bed so that he could see her face. She was sleeping so peacefully that it would have been the most beautiful he had ever seen her had it not been for the huge bruise on her left cheek and the bandage on her right temple. He noticed her right hand was bruised too as she was sleeping with it resting on her pillow. Luckily though it didn't seem like there were any broken bones. Only some really nasty bruises.

Changkyun sat in the chair he assumed that Giriboy had placed by her bed and reached over to brush her hair out of her face. He immediately regretted it though because she began to stir shortly after. When she fully opened her eyes and saw him she clenched them tightly closed again and rolled onto her back groaning.

"Why do I see you now? I already woke up dammit! Go away! I know how bad I ed up, Okay?! My life is pretty bad right now even without the hallucinations. Can you just go away?" Changkyun couldn't figure out whether he wanted to smile or cry. Apparently she saw him as much as he saw her in his sleep but he apparently didn't show up nicely in her dreams. He was kind of hurt to know that she only remembered their fight. Or at least that's what he figured it was.

"I'm really here Noona. Shownu told me you got hurt coming to see me so I came back home to make sure you were okay," Changkyun reached out and grabbed her left hand, which looked much less worse for wear than the right had, and held it gently in his own hand. When his hand had touched hers, Chess turned to face him again, her eyes going wide. She slowly reached out her right hand and touched his cheek with gentle fingers and Changkyun nuzzled his face into her palm.

"You're... You're really here... I'm not dreaming..." Changkyun couldn't help but smile gently at her when he saw the tears running down her cheeks. He reached out to gently wipe them away hoping he wouldn't hurt her in the process. The smile that broke out on her face was the most amazing thing he had ever seen. She looked gorgeous, even with all the nasty bruises and Changkyun found it hard to speak around the lump forming in his own throat.

"Of course I'm really here. Why wouldn't I be? I love you, Cheshire."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Omg it's so close to end.... I'm like almost in tears because we're so close! Thanks for sticking with this story I really appreciate it guys! As always Thank You for Reading! Kamsamnida!