3/4

Forest Home
Please log in to read the full chapter

Myungsoo dropped by more often from then on. He was good with the pups and Sunggyu grew to like having the vet around. Whenever Myungsoo watched over the cubs and played with them, he’d have time to rest or hunt. From time to time, they would spend time together and talk about stuff while the cubs slept. Sunggyu didn’t spill all of his kind’s secrets to the other, but Myungsoo was content with even small things. They didn’t always talk about werewolves, sometimes about simple things like the weather, Myungsoo’s clients or the pups. Myungsoo became a good friend that Sunggyu could depend on for help and it felt good to finally have a friend to talk to.

 

The pups seemed to have a love-hate relationship with the vet. Some of them leaned more towards the like side and others towards the dislike side. But most of the time, the cubs only hated Myungsoo whenever Sunggyu paid more attention to him. Sunggyu did notice that, even though they loved playing with Myungsoo, they easily got jealous when the two adults were talking with each other instead. They always wanted to be at the center of Sunggyu’s small world and the alpha felt incredibly touched by their deep love for him. The jealousness was adorable in his eyes.

 

 

 

 

At about eight weeks old, Jong got really sick. Sunggyu spent two days trying to get him to feel better but he was powerless. Jong’s siblings were driving him insane too. They were unbearable because of their brother’s sickness. Sunggyu had to keep them separated because he was afraid that Jong’s disease was contagious and the cubs did not like this at all. They kept whining and whimpering, bothering every waking hour with their noises or the pictures they sent to his head. They led him know at every minute that they hated being separated from their sick brother. It drove him insane to take care of them. On the third day, Sunggyu gave up and drove to the city to ask for Myungsoo’s help.

 

The vet checked on the little cub (well, technically it wasn’t so little anymore) and told Sunggyu that Jong would have to stay with him for a few days. He needed meds against the sickness and it wasn’t going to heal by itself. It would only get worse and eventually kill the pup. Sunggyu was reluctant but he knew better than to reject the offer. He trusted Myungsoo with Jong’s life. Of course the other four cubs were even more insufferable with their sibling miles away in town, but Sunggyu did his best to appease their anger. He was hurting inside too, so he understood their pain all too well. He let the little ones bite him all they wanted.

 

“Your brother will be back soon.” Sunggyu mumbled quietly. Hoya’s teeth were buried in his hand but he the pups’ fur with his other one. The cub growled. “He’ll be fine. Don’t be scared.”

 

 

 

 

Three days later, Myungsoo brought Jong back to them. The pup was back to full health and ran towards its siblings with a waggling tail. The other four met him halfway and the little wolves played around while barking happily. Sunggyu watched them with a warm smile. It felt good to have his family back together. Being apart had pained him just as much.

 

The vet came over to stand next to him. “You’re hurt...”

 

Sunggyu looked at the little wounds and bandages all over his arms and legs. He shrugged and gave the other man a lazy smile. “The cubs were quite angry I left Jong with you. Don’t worry about it. I heal quickly.”

 

“But still...to think they’d bite you for that...” Myungsoo anxiously glanced at the playing pups.

 

“They’re still wild animals deep down, even if they look cute and like to cuddle. They didn’t mean to hurt me, though. They’re not dangerous, so don’t get scared now. The cubs just didn’t know how else to deal with their anger and fear.”

 

“You’re amazing...” The vet smiled. “You’re not even their real father but you’re so patient with them. So understanding. I think it’s really amazing.”

 

Sunggyu laughed shortly. “Oh, believe me I’ve lost my patience a lot of times. I’ve raised my voice against them several times. Sometimes I have to. Pack animals need to know who has which rank in the pack, even if we’re just five people. If they don’t respect me, they won’t follow me. In return for their trust, I take responsibility and protect them. If it means taking their biting...I’ll take it.”

 

“I think you’re more than just a pack leader to them.”

 

-Mother-

 

Sunggyu looked away from Myungsoo and saw Jong running over to him. He crouched down to pick him up but then decided otherwise. He stripped himself and Myungsoo stuttered something before turning away to give him some privacy. Sunggyu threw his clothes on the ground and shifted into his wolf form. He nudged Jong with his nose and over the cub’s pelt. Sunggyu felt the little wolf’s happiness in his chest. Jong’s siblings ran over to him and he played with his family. They ran out into the forest while barking and howling in joy. Finally they were complete again.

 

It was only two hours later that he remembered Myungsoo. Sunggyu quickly led the pups back to the hut again. The vet was still there, sitting on the porch and waving at them as they came over to him. The cubs went over to Myungsoo to greet him while Sunggyu grabbed his clothes to change. He sat down next to the vet when he was done and stretched his limbs.

 

“Is the sickness gone for good?”

 

The vet nodded. “You should keep an eye on them nevertheless. I doubt any of Jong’s siblings caught the disease because they’re still not showing signs of it, but you never know.”

 

Sunggyu gave him a grateful smile and the younger man blushed before he averted his gaze. The alpha chuckled and leaned in to drop a kiss on Myungsoo’s cheek. The vet’s head snapped around again and he stared at Sunggyu with wide eyes. The cubs barked to their feet, demanding attention as well. Myungsoo’s face went red and he hurriedly stood up. “I-I have to go...”

 

The human fled the scene and Sunggyu frowned. The kiss on the cheek had been sort of an impulsive reaction, a sign of gratitude towards Myungsoo who had healed his sick cub. He thought the younger man would like it but now Sunggyu was simply confused. Had he read Myungsoo’s actions wrongly? The cubs barked at him, shoving their pictures of food into his mind. Sunggyu sighed and glanced at the spot where Myungsoo had disappeared into the forest. Hopefully the younger man wasn’t angry or disgusted.

 

 

 

 

 

To his relief, Myungsoo’s visits didn’t stop. The vet still came over frequently, though no word was uttered about the “incident”. It was summer by the time the human managed to gather his courage and confess to him. The sun was hanging high in the sky and the pups were bathing in the river at that time. Sunggyu and Myungsoo had joined them for a while before they had lazily laid down on the ground nearby. The alpha had his eyes closed when Myungsoo dared to make a move. Of course Sunggyu heard when the younger man moved next to him but he didn’t open his eyes.

 

Lips covered his for a tiny, cautious moment before retreating again. Sunggyu slowly opened his eyes and saw Myungsoo’s flushed face above him. The wet strands of his hair were sticking to his forehead and cheeks from their previous playtime in the river. He seemed to shine somehow, though Sunggyu knew it was just the sun reflecting in the drops of water on his skin. A drop of water fell into Sunggyu’s eye and he blinked.

 

“I-I like you...” Myungsoo stumbled over his words.

 

The alpha had known it for a while but the words still filled him with warmth. For some time he had himself convinced that his own feelings weren’t love; just affection towards his first friend after so many years of solitude.  But Myungsoo was different. As a vet, he was serious and professional, always doing his best to save his patients, even shouting at their owners if he had to. But as Myungsoo the human, he showed Sunggyu another side – careful, loving and shy. Those blushes that Sunggyu was sure were solely for his eyes to witness.

 

Myungsoo ran a hand through his wet locks and nervously over his lips. “Don’t just stare... Say something, please.”

 

He wondered if the younger man knew how handsome he looked. Like a water spirit sent to drive Sunggyu insane. He grabbed Myungsoo and pulled him down, before switching their place on the ground. The vet gasped in surprise. He rolled on top of the younger man and lowered his head to kiss the other on the lips. Sunggyu felt the warmth of the sun on his back as they kissed.

 

Barks filled the air and then little teeth were play biting at his unprotected toes. Sunggyu broke the kiss and looked into Myungsoo’s eyes. “Is that answer enough?”

 

The human flushed. “I-I’d like to hear it.”

 

“I like you too, silly.” Sunggyu whispered against his lips.

 

By the time the sun was setting, Myungsoo was curled against him for warmth, his head resting on Sunggyu’s chest. The cubs were dozing off on a stone nearby. “Can this work out? A human and a werewolf.”

 

“Why not?” Was his simple reply and Myungsoo gave him another smile.

 

 

 

 

The next months weren’t much different than the others. Myungsoo came over more often of course. Other things naturally changed since they became a couple. They kissed and cuddled, and sometimes they made love when the pups were fast asleep. The little wolves were taking the changes with mixed feelings. As they were growing older, they became more aware of their surroundings and of course they noticed that Sunggyu and Myungsoo were behaving differently around each other. For a while, they were aggressive towards the human. So much that Sunggyu had been worried about what to do. After two weeks of being unable to touch Myungsoo for even a second, he had snapped and grabbed the pups for a serious talk. It had been more of a one-sided conversation but at the end of it, the little ones had understood their ‘mother’ didn’t need their protection and Myungsoo wasn’t going to take him away either. From then on, the cubs started to slowly accept Myungsoo into their family.

 

 

 

 

It was October when Myungsoo asked if he should move in with them.

 

“What about your clinic?” Sunggyu asked with a

Please log in to read the full chapter